ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Signings

Rich Lewis

Hall Of Fame
Nov 7, 2001
I'm usually not a big fan of spring signings because the cupboard is generally pretty bare by then. However, it looks like Callison and Daniels are at least an upgrade. Hopefully they'll both pan out. Now it would be nice to get one of the bigs.

Originally posted by Rich Lewis:
I'm usually not a big fan of spring signings because the cupboard is generally pretty bare by then. However, it looks like Callison and Daniels are at least an upgrade. Hopefully they'll both pan out. Now it would be nice to get one of the bigs.
Yes, I agree. The players they are replacing really never played, so they should be an upgrade. Now, we are just waiting to see if Kent can sign a big.

Originally posted by Coug1990:
Originally posted by Rich Lewis:
Yes, I agree. The players they are replacing really never played, so they should be an upgrade. Now, we are just waiting to see if Kent can sign a big.
I think we are in a holding pattern, waiting on Clifford. Until he decides, we wait.

I'm greedy because I am hoping for both Clifford and Van Vilet. That would give us good depth with Hawkinson and Izundu in the front court. They all seem to complement each other on paper as well with Izundu/Clifford 5s and Hawkinson/Van Vilet 4s. Van Vilet might even be able to slip down to a wing with his set of skills for a few minutes depending on the matchups.

I think if Cliford comes to WSU he has a chance to start from day one or at least by conference play. Izundo had less than impressive stats at UH which I feel we are better than and certainly play in a tougher conference. There hasn't been any glowing reports about him from practice last year that I've heard. I'm also not holding my breath on the euro kid being all that good. His stats scream project and if we sign him it wouldn't shock me if he red shirts.

I think almost the opposite. Clifford ia a strong wide, body kid with limited mobility offensively. He is strong, posts up well, and has great hands.He does not rebound well out of his immediate area and is by no means a shot blocker. He plays around the rim and it be interesting to see if he can score against quality big men. He tries to back his man down and was effective against smaller juco players. He can pass well and is able to find the open man.He has surprisingly good feet defensively and with his bulk clogs up the middle.He would share center duties with Izundu who is or will be a defensive presence and a much better rebounder..He would probably play 18-20 minutes a game. He left his last D 1 college because of a glut of posts players. In Van Villet,one would get the whole package and he would have an immediate impact.I would also like for Kent to be able to bring both of these big men in.they would make the cougs much more competitive in the middle.

Van Vliet stats just don't back up instant impact player. 8.5 points 5.5 rebounds in euro championships b level. Basically doesn't see the floor on his club team, although he does have some solid players in front of him there. One of which is Ryan Pearson from George Mason.

He plays well in big games and he was dominant in many games. Sometimes the foreign players do not play a full game . Watch his games and his skill set . Also it must be remembered that Clifford's stats also had him scoring 14 .7 pts and 6.2 rbs per game. He only averaged 23 minutes per game. There was also another 7 footer on his team who alternated with him. But at crunch time ,he was the one playing. There are game videos of both players especially Clifford, with the entire games shown if one likes to watch such things.

Beyond WSU Van Vilet has an offer from Utah, Miami, and Saint Mary's so a pretty solid list. Believe 7I commented he's considered to have NBA potential. He's long, shoots to 3 point and has some athleticism. I don't see a redshirt if we were to get him.

One thing that I think speaks volumes for Cliford is the fact that he was named California JC player of the year! I remember people thinking Cheatum would be a solid contributor or starter and he was nowhere near California JC player of the year. If the Vliet kid comes to WSU I hope he is the second coming of Dirk Nowitzki.
smile.r191677.gif

Actually his skill set is a lot like the kid Zimmerman who is the 9th rated hs player in the country. Zimmerman is a 7'0 225 pd lefty from Las Vegas. Clifford is a huge body who is not afraid to throw his weight around and his great hands and positioning allows a team to run their offense through him. However his lack of jumping ability and athleticism caused teams like Arizona, who gave him a good, look to back away.. However,the cougs could certainly use a player with his size and abilities.

One more at this point but space has a way of working out. Getting another big that can compete with what we have currently on the roster is a definite need.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT