ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford Coach Shaw on Cougs improvement

earldacoug

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2002
I heard coach Shaw on PDX radio this afternoon commenting on the Improvement of the Cougs. He had had high praise for QB Luke Falk. He said Luke is tough, resilient, can take a big hit and still get back up and hurt you with his arm. He said Luke has a strong arm and a quick release. He really likes his game. He said the Cougs have good receivers.
Defensively he said the Cougs have a very good D line and are well coached. Said the d line is aggressive and brings a good pass rush. Believes the Cougar d line is very underrated. His comments were interesting info.

I heard coach Shaw on PDX radio this afternoon commenting on the Improvement of the Cougs. He had had high praise for QB Luke Falk. He said Luke is tough, resilient, can take a big hit and still get back up and hurt you with his arm. He said Luke has a strong arm and a quick release. He really likes his game. He said the Cougs have good receivers.
Defensively he said the Cougs have a very good D line and are well coached. Said the d line is aggressive and brings a good pass rush. Believes the Cougar d line is very underrated. His comments were interesting info.

These are interesting and good to hear. Take this in the right spirit, but let's just say I hope to see less head-patting from Shaw and something more akin to the whining we are seeing from Mora about why his team lost.

I hope to see less head-patting from Shaw and something more akin to the whining we are seeing from Mora about why his team lost.
Yeah. I'm really just interpreting this as polite coachspeak between games. Easy to do, particularly when you're winning. Remember a few years ago when Oregon players were patting our guys on the helmet in-game after a good play? As if we were the JV team to their Varsity and they were our mentors? I took that to be a pretty bad sign. I'll be happier when everyone hates us because it means there's nothing left to pity.

Yeah. I'm really just interpreting this as polite coachspeak between games. Easy to do, particularly when you're winning. Remember a few years ago when Oregon players were patting our guys on the helmet in-game after a good play? As if we were the JV team to their Varsity and they were our mentors? I took that to be a pretty bad sign. I'll be happier when everyone hates us because it means there's nothing left to pity.

Shaw was also saying how much the Cougars were improved in 2011. Several people on here were using those words as an "I told you so" about the former coach, that he was doing a good job.

Shaw was asked by the pdx interviewers about Wazzus improvement and what are the strengths of the team. I thought his comments were sincere. I thought his comments on Falks strong arm and quick release were interesting. I've read comments by resident experts to the contrary.

Shaw was asked by the pdx interviewers about Wazzus improvement and what are the strengths of the team. I thought his comments were sincere. I thought his comments on Falks strong arm and quick release were interesting. I've read comments by resident experts to the contrary.

I have no doubt he was sincere. I have no doubt he was sincere back in 2011. Resident experts, even those who write articles on here, BX and BY have been all over the place about his release and strength of arm.

Nonetheless, it is nice to hear an opposing coach say nice things about the team and Falk.

The very fact Shaw was asked about WSU three weeks after playing us, by Portland radio hosts is pretty telling and a good sign.

In '11, Shaw would make some gracious comments the week after throttling us, then quickly forget, and never be asked again about our irrelevant program.

This isn't BX or BY fishing for some silver lining compliment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT