ADVERTISEMENT

status of bowl games

kayak15

Hall Of Fame
Apr 17, 2012
Mercer Island
I have been wondering how many bowl games are going to be presented. Cities put these on to attract tourist during the Winter downseason for vacations. Not going to get many tourists this year due to Covid. There will still be television but that money goes to the schools unless I am again ignorant of the facts. Seems to me that the cities and the TV folks will have to come to some kind of compromise to pay for these games. Frankly, I would be O.K. with the bowl season being cancelled Cougs are not going to be involved and I have little enthusiasm towards watching a couple of teams with attenuated schedules playing. And with Covid still in the air, who knows whether the games will even be played. A cancellation would leave the TV folks and especially the city holding the bag. A city could spend a bundle setting up the bowl only to be left with nothing to show for it. If I were the mayor of such city, I don't think that I would want to take that financial risk.

My hypothesis does not, of course, include the SEC or other Southern universities.

I have been wondering how many bowl games are going to be presented. Cities put these on to attract tourist during the Winter downseason for vacations. Not going to get many tourists this year due to Covid. There will still be television but that money goes to the schools unless I am again ignorant of the facts. Seems to me that the cities and the TV folks will have to come to some kind of compromise to pay for these games. Frankly, I would be O.K. with the bowl season being cancelled Cougs are not going to be involved and I have little enthusiasm towards watching a couple of teams with attenuated schedules playing. And with Covid still in the air, who knows whether the games will even be played. A cancellation would leave the TV folks and especially the city holding the bag. A city could spend a bundle setting up the bowl only to be left with nothing to show for it. If I were the mayor of such city, I don't think that I would want to take that financial risk.

My hypothesis does not, of course, include the SEC or other Southern universities.
ESPN owns a good number of these and needs the programming.

The ticket shakedown in some cases is gone away (didn't the Sounders just lose by 3 touchdowns in front of fans in the Minor League Soccer final?)

A good number of the Pac12 tie-ins bailed for this year

Well, there’s a possibility that players can all be vaccinated before the bowl season.

Well, there’s a possibility that players can all be vaccinated before the bowl season.
Kinda doubt it. It is going to take some time to inoculate our nation's medical staff and other hospital employees. First responders- police, firefighters, medics etc.- and teachers and other essential workers are destined to be next in line as well as old coots like me. Much as we are fond of sports, their participants are not going to rank very high on the priority list. Sorry, CP, but the probability of your possibility coming to fruition are slim and none.

I know the news keeps saying the vaccination of the nation will happen quickly (warp speed), but my friends in the medical field tell me differently. I'm told the Kaiser 1st wave, 30 million vaccination, will be completed end of spring / beginning of summer. That will be for hospitals, 1st responders, retirement homes, shelters and corrections. The second wave ,bascially educators and those 65+, will take place over summer and 3rd wave, the rest of us, should be completed around fall. Will be interesting to see who is correct. It's reported the first shipments this week was around 180,000 doses with another 390,000 on Monday so it not like we are shipping out millions at a time.

I’d rather WSU played another league team than a bowl game. Seems like too much hassle and chance for cancelation trying to fly off somewhere else to play who know who. Just lime up Stanford and let’s play.

Regardless of any warp speed definitions, the nation will be fully opened back up by June. That’s all I care about.

Regardless of any warp speed definitions, the nation will be fully opened back up by June. That’s all I care about.
I’m with you. Once the truly vulnerable are vaccinated it does become “the flu” or a “bad cold”.

Yes, ESPN needs the programming, as Fnu says. And yes, the locals need ticket sales to break even. Kayak is pretty close to right with regard to the economics. ESPN is going to have to subsidize a few of these if it wants the programming.

I’d rather WSU played another league team than a bowl game. Seems like too much hassle and chance for cancelation trying to fly off somewhere else to play who know who. Just lime up Stanford and let’s play.
That brings up another thought. With all the bowl games up in the air, will teams get to keep practicing? Seems like would make sense to let everyone get another X number of practices in. Would be BS to shelf a 2-2 team and some other 4-5 team that got way more games/experience now gets another 15 extra practices too.

I don’t see it happening. I think it will be another year. I have 0 faith in government to distribute or people to take the vaccine. None. Total clusterf@ck top to bottom is on its way.

That brings up another thought. With all the bowl games up in the air, will teams get to keep practicing? Seems like would make sense to let everyone get another X number of practices in. Would be BS to shelf a 2-2 team and some other 4-5 team that got way more games/experience now gets another 15 extra practices too.

The extra practices are a drop in the bucket now. Teams with 2 games played are lining up against teams with 4 games played. This is a year of inequality.

I don’t see it happening. I think it will be another year. I have 0 faith in government to distribute or people to take the vaccine. None. Total clusterf@ck top to bottom is on its way.

I don't disagree with you, but I do know that the front line health care providers will all be vaccinated in short order. That alone is going to be provide a huge relief to the medical infrastructure.

I don't disagree with you, but I do know that the front line health care providers will all be vaccinated in short order. That alone is going to be provide a huge relief to the medical infrastructure.

Agree. But what relief does it give the rest of the country?

There are what, 320,000,000 people in America? 10,000,000 could get the first dose, it’s a drop in the bucket. Then they all need to come back 3 weeks later for round two. What could possibly go wrong???? lol

If they were serious about maximizing people per day they would hire Chick Fil A. No one moves people and product faster or with more efficiency.

Agree. But what relief does it give the rest of the country?

There are what, 320,000,000 people in America? 10,000,000 could get the first dose, it’s a drop in the bucket. Then they all need to come back 3 weeks later for round two. What could possibly go wrong???? lol

If they were serious about maximizing people per day they would hire Chick Fil A. No one moves people and product faster or with more efficiency.
I was in Phx recently and went to an In and Out burger that just opened. They were pretty good at moving people as well but their fries sure suck.

Reactions: 425cougfan
Screw the bowls, the pac 12 is going to be down to 3 maybe 4. How about an Apple Cup on New Years Eve 7;30 Kickoff in Pullman. It will help "Lock Down Jay" with his stay at home orders, won't have anything else to do. Fox or ESPN should be able to sell that. Here are a couple of marketing tips. They could drop the ball in Times Square at 9 for 30 seconds on a split screen and then back to the ball game, if you time it right it could be your half time show. Hour to an hour and a half post game and Happy New Year to the West Coast

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT