ADVERTISEMENT

Tay Martin is the key in my view

WASH ST A&M FAN

Head Coach
Sep 4, 2002
I feel if Tay becomes our “best” WR this year it will be the best thing that can happen to this offense. He’s Big, Athletic, Great Hands, Moxie, & Fast Enough.

It’ll open everyone else up......

Come’on #1

I feel if Tay becomes our “best” WR this year it will be the best thing that can happen to this offense. He’s Big, Athletic, Great Hands, Moxie, & Fast Enough.

Come’on #1
I’d love to see Tay take it up a notch, he certainly has the ability. But there’s so much talent at WR and really talented guys will be odd men out to start the season, hard to say he’s the key to success. If he doesn’t keep it together he is easily replaceable.

Reactions: mikalalas

Come’on #1
With Williams and Borghi combining for 136 receptions...there should be more balls for the WR's. Fisher should take about 30-40 and the other 7 getting more. How much will the backup RB's actually play?

Reactions: mikalalas
To me, the key is the defense or players on the defense. Either McDougle or the defensive backs. The offense is going to be good. It always is. If this team is going to challenge for the top of the conference, then McDougle has to be great and the DB's need to be good.

Borghi staying healthy is my No 1.

As much as it would suck for Borghi to get injured, not be able to play. Bazille, and Mc Intosh, while not as good as Borghi, are probably good enough in combination with WSU WR Corp, QB Gordon, or GG, to win, except against Oregon, Cal, or any other similarly good team, similar to Oregon.

As is usually the case at WSU (& other schools) the key is probably how well Gordon does at QB and/or Gubrud should he take over as #1.

Glad Cougar

That is, should be KEY, but not a worry, concern type of Key, because WSU is sitting pretty with Gordon, Gage.

One of those will, would, should, etc, be just fine, good enough, etc.

To me, the key is the defense or players on the defense. Either McDougle or the defensive backs. The offense is going to be good. It always is. If this team is going to challenge for the top of the conference, then McDougle has to be great and the DB's need to be good.

Can say the same that say about this as the point about WSU QB being semi Key.

There are 2 keys.

1 the QB, the other key the defense.

But just like my point about the QB, the DL, and DB's would, should, be just fine, ok, good enough, and at extreme minimum at least just barely good enough to allow the offense to win games.

Come’on #1

Defensive secondary figuring it out is the key.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
Plenty deep at WR, if Gordon checks to run just 5-8x more a game, THAT will open up the passing game significantly.
100%. Minshew definitely had this trending correctly last year. With Borghi in the backfield, there’s no excuse not to. Light box, give it to Borghi every time and let him rip off 10-15 yards. I’m interested to see how AG does with this. The pre-snap stuff/predictability was one of the biggest frustrations for me with Falk.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
That is, should be KEY, but not a worry, concern type of Key, because WSU is sitting pretty with Gordon, Gage.

One of those will, would, should, etc, be just fine, good enough, etc.
I'm not necessarily concerned or worried, but given the fact that the Cougars don't have a QB who has taken a meaningful snap at the FBS level, I think it's crucial to the team's overall fortunes that the QB position is successful. I'm predicting we'll be okay in that department but you never know until they play the game.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: KingTrump
I'm not necessarily concerned or worried, but given the fact that the Cougars don't have a QB who has taken a meaningful snap at the FBS level, I think it's crucial to the team's overall fortunes that the QB position is successful. I'm predicting we'll be okay in that department but you never know until they play the game.

Glad Cougar

Gardner Minshew hadnt played a meaningful Snap at the FBS(and if ECU is FBS, I dont count that as True FBS, because if FBS, was CRAP, LOWEST FBS, borderline FCS/FBS level.)

Kegel, hadnt really played a meaningful snap at FBS.

And even tho they havent played a snap at FBS level, Gage beat a AWESOME WSU team, put up 10k yards, led EWU VERY DEEP into FCS PLAYOFFS. Was 1,2 TIME WALTER PAYTON AWARD FINALIST, WAS IN THE RUNNING FOR NOMINATION FOR BEST FCS PLAYER OF YEAR.

And Gordon BEAT ALL THAT OUT.

That should be good enough to do just fine.

But even if it were not, there is Tinsley, even Cooper had a great Fall camp.

1 of WSU's QB's will get the job done.

And Leach has a track record of finding a good enough QB to win EVERY YEAR, except 2 years out of 7 years at WSU.

Is it THEORETICALLY possible that none of WSU's QB's wont be good enough?

Yes.

Is it BLOODY DAM LIKELY that none of the QB's are good enough?

HELL NO.

Gardner Minshew hadnt played a meaningful Snap at the FBS(and if ECU is FBS, I dont count that as True FBS, because if FBS, was CRAP, LOWEST FBS, borderline FCS/FBS level.)

Kegel, hadnt really played a meaningful snap at FBS.

And even tho they havent played a snap at FBS level, Gage beat a AWESOME WSU team, put up 10k yards, led EWU VERY DEEP into FCS PLAYOFFS. Was 1,2 TIME WALTER PAYTON AWARD FINALIST, WAS IN THE RUNNING FOR NOMINATION FOR BEST FCS PLAYER OF YEAR.

And Gordon BEAT ALL THAT OUT.

That should be good enough to do just fine.

But even if it were not, there is Tinsley, even Cooper had a great Fall camp.

1 of WSU's QB's will get the job done.

And Leach has a track record of finding a good enough QB to win EVERY YEAR, except 2 years out of 7 years at WSU.

Is it THEORETICALLY possible that none of WSU's QB's wont be good enough?

Yes.

Is it BLOODY DAM LIKELY that none of the QB's are good enough?

HELL NO.

I stopped reading at "Kegal hadn't played a meaningful snap". Guy won a game in the Colesium as a RS frosh dude.

Tay Martin is not the key to the team. He’s not even on the list.

Borghi’s health
Gordon’s poise in close games
Both cornerbacks
Both safeties
Justus Rogers
Liam Ryan

Tay is a nice receiver. A good athlete. His key, not the teams key, is whether or not he gets comfortable making tough catches over the middle of the field.

100%. Minshew definitely had this trending correctly last year. With Borghi in the backfield, there’s no excuse not to. Light box, give it to Borghi every time and let him rip off 10-15 yards. I’m interested to see how AG does with this. The pre-snap stuff/predictability was one of the biggest frustrations for me with Falk.

When the defense has to honor the stretch of field between the tackles, look out.

Leach is running 4 receivers into 8 defenders every snap and they are still tops in the nation in passing. What happens when the defense has to allocate another body to defend the run? 4 on 7... someone is gonna score.

It doesn't have to be a lot of runs, I think the number is 20-24 carries. It just has to be enough volume or success that the defense is forced to change.

Plus pretty sure Kegel got a series a game during his RSJR year.
Has anyone ever asked Kegel if he felt comfortable doing "the series" or was it simply a Price thing. I thought it put him in a very awkward position.

Has anyone ever asked Kegel if he felt comfortable doing "the series" or was it simply a Price thing. I thought it put him in a very awkward position.

I haven't asked him. My recollection is that it was a compromise to keep Kegel from transferring.

Plus pretty sure Kegel got a series a game during his RSJR year.

He played a good amount against Oregon too, when Gesser got hurt. I think they lost an overtime game against the Ducks where Kegel played quite a bit.

Regardless, the point is Kegel saw plenty of meaningful snaps prior to starting. You can count the number of WSU QBs with wins in the Coliseum on one hand, unfortunately.

Reactions: CougEd
Do you remember an article or quote saying that? Legit question.

It was widely speculated at the time.

But the major point of this thread, as many have said, is Kegel wasn't a green around the gills recruit. He'd seen plenty of live action when it was his turn. He also had an amazing defense to rely on which allowed him to be a game manager once his shoulder got hurt.

Honestly, I don't think Tay is even our 3rd best receiver, and like the guys I think rank ahead of him much more:
1. Dez
2. Easop
3. Calvin
4. Tay

I also think if Tay doesn't start standing out and putting up numbers in big games, it won't be long before Woods and Ollie jump in front of him.

Tay is the most talented receiver on the team with the possible exception of Dez. Good speed, hands, body control and strength to come down with a ball in traffic. He saw a ton of reps last year and it's possible he simply wore down as teams got more and more physical with him over the season. I think playing half of the reps early, instead of 80% is going to help him endure the season. I also suspect the coaches are being extra hard on him because they know he can get a lot better (similar to some of the comments critical of Patmon as well). Either way, we have an embarrassment of riches at WR.

Honestly, I don't think Tay is even our 3rd best receiver, and like the guys I think rank ahead of him much more:
1. Dez
2. Easop
3. Calvin
4. Tay

I also think if Tay doesn't start standing out and putting up numbers in big games, it won't be long before Woods and Ollie jump in front of him.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Tay is the most talented receiver on the team with the possible exception of Dez. Good speed, hands, body control and strength to come down with a ball in traffic. He saw a ton of reps last year and it's possible he simply wore down as teams got more and more physical with him over the season. I think playing half of the reps early, instead of 80% is going to help him endure the season. I also suspect the coaches are being extra hard on him because they know he can get a lot better (similar to some of the comments critical of Patmon as well). Either way, we have an embarrassment of riches at WR.
Well I guess we agree to disagree. He’s been a non-factor in the bigger games (I think it was Yaki who broke down his stats by game that showed he disappeared against quality opponents), and he’s 6-3 and weighs 180-something, so he’s certainly no powerhouse in terms of strength and moving DBs. I think he has potential, but we have guys that are better right now.

Well I guess we agree to disagree. He’s been a non-factor in the bigger games (I think it was Yaki who broke down his stats by game that showed he disappeared against quality opponents), and he’s 6-3 and weighs 180-something, so he’s certainly no powerhouse in terms of strength and moving DBs. I think he has potential, but we have guys that are better right now.

Fair. I see him as exceptional at coming down with jump balls by holding his position and coming down with the ball. Even as a freshman, he was tough to stop if he got a clean release in single coverage. Cheerfully concede his alligator arms over the middle and ability to get taken out of the play by getting bumped at the line.

Great point. Tay is certainly talented and capable of putting up big numbers against overmatched secondaries. Dez is the dude that’s gonna muscle his way to 8 for 100 and a couple of TDs against a grabby UW secondary. We don’t need another TD against AZ, we need it against UW.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT