ADVERTISEMENT

The end is nigh

B10 ADs discuss P5 split off

Worth reading the whole article.

Why is it the B10 is and has been talking about this stuff but we don't and haven't heard squadoosh from the west coast power brokers? (rhetorical)
The SEC has been far, far ahead in the business of college football. The B1G has gotten off the mat. The Pac-12 is dead. The Big XII and ACC are shitting themselves and hoping for the best.

this is why UW and UO were willing to be discount programs to get in
I do wonder what happens when Phil Knight dies. Presumably a big chunk of his estate will go to UO, but the gravy train will end.

There's a massive endowment and nest egg already allotted for them, as I understand. I think they'll be set up well for many, many years.
Let's say it's a billion dollars solely for athletics. Nets 6-7 percent a year. That's $60-70 million. That's quite a bit different than calling Uncle Phil for a new football operations center, new basketball arena, new indoor practice facility, etc.

I suppose they could structure it to allow the principal (or portions of it) to be spent on facilities. But it seems like the gravy train will end.

Let's say it's a billion dollars solely for athletics. Nets 6-7 percent a year. That's $60-70 million. That's quite a bit different than calling Uncle Phil for a new football operations center, new basketball arena, new indoor practice facility, etc.

I suppose they could structure it to allow the principal (or portions of it) to be spent on facilities. But it seems like the gravy train will end.
I mean Nike will live on though. Jordan makes more money now…lots more…than he ever did playing hoops. Thats not gonna end when Phil dies. He may be gone but the company will keep pumping and a chunk of that will continue to flow Oregons way.

I mean Nike will live on though. Jordan makes more money now…lots more…than he ever did playing hoops. Thats not gonna end when Phil dies. He may be gone but the company will keep pumping and a chunk of that will continue to flow Oregons way.
The money comes from Uncle Phil. Nike is not Oregon's piggy bank.

Reactions: longtimecoug

No way they just sit on a billion and don't reinvest some of the income. If they were smart they'd tighten their belts as much as they could and reinvest most of it until they doubled the principle.

We have no idea what kind of situation that Uncle Phil has set up. He could have a stipulation that 1% of Nike profits goes to Oregon after he's gone. Or the gravy train could end. We don't know.
Nike is a publicly traded company. "We" would have an idea based on Nike's SEC filings. And there is no way shareholders would allow 1 percent to be siphoned out of their pockets.

Nike is not Oregon's piggy bank.

No way they just sit on a billion and don't reinvest some of the income. If they were smart they'd tighten their belts as much as they could and reinvest most of it until they doubled the principle.
If it's endowed, that means they sit on it and spend the income generated, which would be in the neighborhood of 6-7 percent after management fees.

The SEC has been far, far ahead in the business of college football. The B1G has gotten off the mat. The Pac-12 is dead. The Big XII and ACC are shitting themselves and hoping for the best.
Actually, this is pretty accurate, Gib. The only problem is when arrogance clouds judgment. Should this article's predicted result come to pass, I'd expect a massive drop in fan interest for those who lack a school in the precious group, and even a drop in interest from many of their own alums. The whole college football tradition of a century-plus will be gone, replaced by minor league football. If they can make enough by streaming it to the fanatics, then it will survive. But the days of national broadcasts will be over, except for whatever circus they can construct out of their 4 weeks or so of championship games.

Those entranced by their own image in the mirror often miss the greater picture.

I agree

I do wonder what happens when Phil Knight dies. Presumably a big chunk of his estate will go to UO, but the gravy train will end.
Now that is an interesting thought!

Maybe NIKE is Oregon so it doesn't even matter?

Actually, this is pretty accurate, Gib. The only problem is when arrogance clouds judgment. Should this article's predicted result come to pass, I'd expect a massive drop in fan interest for those who lack a school in the precious group, and even a drop in interest from many of their own alums. The whole college football tradition of a century-plus will be gone, replaced by minor league football. If they can make enough by streaming it to the fanatics, then it will survive. But the days of national broadcasts will be over, except for whatever circus they can construct out of their 4 weeks or so of championship games.

Those entranced by their own image in the mirror often miss the greater picture.
All good points, I ran across this quote in an article the other day, which sums up my thoughts about athlete compensation.

"Whatever those players command it will likely be at the expense of the things you actually love about the collegiate game."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT