ADVERTISEMENT

The first of donors to come pulling their $$$ support of WSU athletics?

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
At least one report states that the George and Marianne Grant family endowment is considering rescinding a scholarship it started in 1996 because of Leach's "indefensible" Twitter Sh!tter. Schulz and Chun may have a tiger by the tail...

Reactions: Cougzz
Pulling a scholarship that only hurts a hardworking kid is pretty thin-skinned, especially considering the core matter here is free speech.

The George' kids must be a real bunch of cupcakes...

The core matter is a supposedly astute individual in a prominent position with the university recklessly and irresponsibly behaving on social media and then doubling down on that asinine behavior. Free speech is a not a guarantee one won't be censured. He's crying a river because some have called him out for his stupidity. He's an embarrassment who, we can always hope, pulls his head out of his ass and sticks to football.

The core matter is a supposedly astute individual in a prominent position with the university recklessly and irresponsibly behaving on social media and then doubling down on that asinine behavior. Free speech is a not a guarantee one won't be censured. He's crying a river because some have called him out for his stupidity. He's an embarrassment who, we can always hope, pulls his head out of his ass and sticks to football.

I'm sure as a multicultural family, the Grants were threatening to pull their donations when WSU's student conduct board totally and completely hosed Robert Barber....

Last edited:
I'm sure as a multicultural family, I'm sure the Grants were threatening to pull their donations when WSU's student conduct board totally and completely hosed Robert Barber....

That matter was corrected.

You're an embarassment because you are spending like 24/7 here fighting with people. Grow up man...

Pulling a scholarship that only hurts a hardworking kid is pretty thin-skinned, especially considering the core matter here is free speech.

Of course it hurts the hardworking kids. When a coach recruits a kid and that coach leaves for greener pastures, who do you think gets hurt,.the Grants? Me? You?

That is how people protest. Do I hope they don't pull the , of course. I hope they see past it and don't pull the scholarship money, and realize Leach while represents the university he is not the university.

Of course it hurts the hardworking kids. When a coach recruits a kid and that coach leaves for greener pastures, who do you think gets hurt,.the Grants? Me? You?

That is how people protest. Do I hope they don't pull the , of course. I hope they see past it and don't pull the scholarship money, and realize Leach while represents the university he is not the university.

While I agree with your sentiments, Ed, a problem we're seeing here is Leach doubling down and making a bad situation worse, and one that could serve to further antagonize donors/boosters/fans who find this behavior unbecoming to their school. Like his favorite president, Leach is wired to satisfy only himself. Some call it quirkiness. I call it narcissistic personality disorder.

Reactions: wazzubruce
While I agree with your sentiments, Ed, a problem we're seeing here is Leach doubling down and making a bad situation worse, and one that could serve to further antagonize donors/boosters/fans who find this behavior unbecoming to their school. Like his favorite president, Leach is wired to satisfy only himself. Some call it quirkiness. I call it narcissistic personality disorder.

What is the doubling down?

Lots of people are narcissistic, whether they are liberal, conservative, Democrat, Republican, black, white, native, Latino, Asian, male, female, football coaches, sociology professors, taxpayers, tax evaders, etc.

I can only hope Sharon takes away his phone or sends him on a walk about where his curiosities are fulfilled and keeps his mind active until football starts. There are people who have something in them that they have to sabotage what is good. Price had it all, then went drinking. Kelvin got slapped on the wrist a couple of times and just couldn't stop bumping into NCAA rules.There is a long list of people. I just hope we don't see a repeat of Texas Tech for Leach. What he doesn't get is he can have a couple of down seasons and still be royalty. But maybe the losses really bother him and he goes in self destruct mode.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
And Leach tweeted the entirety of Obama's speech.

And lamely described the video in his initial post as "limited." No, it was deceitful, dishonest, a hoax, which Leach used to gaslight WSU football into a national embarrassment. And it was followed by a penchant to stubbornly defend what he had done by labeling the USA Today writer as "pathetically biased" (hmmm, a Trumpian tactic employed in the ongoing Mueller investigation) and then challenging the writer to a debate, which would further drag WSU through the mud of embarrassment. And it likely won't end there. Any news outlet that criticized him in this matter will be singled out during pressers throughout the season.

Reactions: Tx64 and Cougzz
And lamely described the video in his initial post as "limited." No, it was deceitful, dishonest, a hoax, which Leach used to gaslight WSU football into a national embarrassment. And it was followed by a penchant to stubbornly defend what he had done by labeling the USA Today writer as "pathetically biased" (hmmm, a Trumpian tactic employed in the ongoing Mueller investigation) and then challenging the writer to a debate, which would further drag WSU through the mud of embarrassment. And it likely won't end there. Any news outlet that criticized him in this matter will be singled out during pressers throughout the season.

OK. Somehow it's different in your mind. There is no point in trying to discuss the subject with you. WSU's response to the Barber student conduct board matter was quite pathetic. It took a lawsuit that went to the Washington Court of Appeals for WSU to change its backward ways.

Wolken is biased. I don't think that could be seriously debated. Leach will have plenty of things to do soon, so this will fade. Assuming you let it.

You're really lathered up today.

OK. Somehow it's different in your mind. There is no point in trying to discuss the subject with you. WSU's response to the Barber student conduct board matter was quite pathetic. It took a lawsuit that went to the Washington Court of Appeals for WSU to change its backward ways.

Wolken is biased. I don't think that could be seriously debated. Leach will have plenty of things to do soon, so this will fade. Assuming you let it.

Do you disagree with the Wolken article? He may be biased, who knows, but what topflight school will come for Leach? This same article (in principle) could have been written in 2010 by a liberal, doesn't make it untrue. If he had done this even in the most red of states say Alabama, even though the core audience might agree, the university would want not this headache.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cougzz and metprof
I had asked the question half jokingly before, but as friends and colleagues ask me what was Leach thinking, I wonder if he is self-destructing and wants out. He has gone to great lengths talking to recruits about the use of social media, pics on Instagram and it baffles me why he would pick this moment.

Do you disagree with the Wolken article? He may be biased, who knows, but what topflight school will come for Leach? This same article (in principle) could have been written in 2010 by a liberal, doesn't make it untrue. If he had done this even in the reddest of red states at say Alabama, even though the core audience might agree, the university would not this headache.

Whether I agree or disagree with Wolken is immaterial to the discussion.

The University of Alabama would let Saban take a dump on Wolken's chest on live TV and not bat an eyelash. I can't decipher your post, so I really have no idea what you're talking about.

The University of Alabama would let Saban take a dump on Wolken's chest on live TV and not bat an eyelash. I can't decipher your post, so I really have no idea what you're talking about.

Then why bring up Wolkens bias. His opinion is spot on. Do you believe bigger schools despite Leach's success want this headache?

Well, they would care if a Auburn starts getting players that Bama normally gets if Saban for example said there were good people in Charlottesville. This is a self inflicted wound that isn't necessary. And Wolken's opinion is shared by many many people, and I think hardly biased.

Reactions: Cougzz
Then why bring up Wolkens bias. His opinion is spot on. Do you believe bigger schools despite Leach's success want this headache?

Well, they would care if a Auburn starts getting players that Bama normally gets if Saban for example said there were good people in Charlottesville. This is a self inflicted wound that isn't necessary. And Wolken's opinion is shared by many many people, and I think hardly biased.

Direct this to Yaki, since Yaki brought him up.

Your post makes no sense. Alabama has shown it will it will tolerate Saban acting like a complete jackass since he wins. You have watched the pressers where Saban spends the whole time insulting the media, right?

Your post makes no sense. Alabama has shown it will it will tolerate Saban acting like a complete jackass since he wins. You have watched the pressers where Saban spends the whole time insulting the media, right?
Actually you were the person who said Wolken was biased, not Yaki. Yes, the university will put up with a lot from Saban. Has Saban ever talked about something polarizing like politics? Leach has been a little Sabian with the media and no one blinks an eye. This is different.

Reactions: Tx64
At least one report states that the George and Marianne Grant family endowment is considering rescinding a scholarship it started in 1996 because of Leach's "indefensible" Twitter Sh!tter. Schulz and Chun may have a tiger by the tail...
Link? Cite?

Actually you were the person who said Wolken was biased, not Yaki. Yes, the university will put up with a lot from Saban. Has Saban ever talked about something polarizing like politics? Leach has been a little Sabian with the media and no one blinks an eye. This is different.

For the reading impaired:

"And it was followed by a penchant to stubbornly defend what he had done by labeling the USA Today writer as "pathetically biased" (hmmm, a Trumpian tactic employed in the ongoing Mueller investigation) and then challenging the writer to a debate, which would further drag WSU through the mud of embarrassment."

-YakiCoug

For your information, Wolken offered to help former Tennessee AD John Currie spin hiring Greg Schiano. Not what journalists are supposed to do.

http://winningcureseverything.com/t...ys-dan-wolken-show-sports-media-bias-is-real/

https://thespun.com/college-football/dan-wolken-text-messages-tennessee-ad-usa-today

Reactions: PINGDUDE4

"And it was followed by a penchant to stubbornly defend what he had done by labeling the USA Today writer as "pathetically biased" (hmmm, a Trumpian tactic employed in the ongoing Mueller investigation) and then challenging the writer to a debate, which would further drag WSU through the mud of embarrassment."

-YakiCoug

For your information, Wolken offered to help former Tennessee AD John Currie spin hiring Greg Schiano. Not what journalists are supposed to do.

http://winningcureseverything.com/t...ys-dan-wolken-show-sports-media-bias-is-real/

https://thespun.com/college-football/dan-wolken-text-messages-tennessee-ad-usa-today

-YakiCoug

You do get Yaki was talking about Wolken's article about why Leach isn't on any big schools radar because of his ability to embarrass upper management. It is an article that is spot on, which you claim bias. Yaki was talking about his twitter battle with Wolken after that article. Not sure how you could disagree with his assessment.

Nothing says "I love the Cougs" like pulling scholarship $ because you're feeling offended.

Spokane and Met - These people have given money to WSU out of love and the goodness of their hearts. You have no business taking them to task if they decide not to give anymore - for WHATEVER reason. And Spokane - really? You insult their kids? WTF?

This is why you DO NOT do what CML has done when you are in his profession. You just don't. And then you don't get all pissy about being an idiot like he apparently has. He had better get up on the podium and take responsibility for his BS or WSU may lose a lot more donations. Including mine.

People pull their donations all the time for whatever reason. This is the most visible whatever reason right now.

Not judging their rationale, it's just human nature.

Honestly, to be Mike Leach is to be un-controllable. We all knew that when he signed on, and all of us would have happily traded some dumb Tweets to purge our 9-40 record and have a shot at division/conference titles again. To be surprised and/or outraged about this is to have have your cake and eat it too. Only one crank would come to Pullman, we got him, and now we're clutching our pearls because - wait for it - he's a crank? He's the same guy he always was, take him or leave him.

But this is the most fire I've heard from you on Leach - assume this is a disagreement over politics?

Reactions: metprof and 79COUG
You do get Yaki was talking about Wolken's article about why Leach isn't on any big schools radar because of his ability to embarrass upper management. It is an article that is spot on, which you claim bias. Yaki was talking about his twitter battle with Wolken after that article. Not sure how you could disagree with his assessment.

I don’t know what Yaki’s point was, other than that he was losing his mind over something that was not worth losing his mind over.

Wolker is at the opposite end of the political spectrum from Leach, if you doubt that read his material. He is biased. It shows In his writing. This is in addition to his documented willingness to help Currie spin the hiring of Schiano.

Honestly, to be Mike Leach is to be un-controllable. We all knew that when he signed on, and all of us would have happily traded some dumb Tweets to purge our 9-40 record and have a shot at division/conference titles again. To be surprised and/or outraged about this is to have have your cake and eat it too. Only one crank would come to Pullman, we got him, and now we're clutching our pearls because - wait for it - he's a crank? He's the same guy he always was, take him or leave him.

But this is the most fire I've heard from you on Leach - assume this is a disagreement over politics?
I honestly don't know, so this is a genuine question--was he known for anything of this magnitude at TT? We all know about the Craig James stuff, and uncorking on his team from time to time, but I can't really remember anything relating to him diving off the deep end into this political bullsh!t. Maybe there was, but I'm not aware of it. That said, I'm ok with him tearing into his team about their "fat little girlfriends", but I don't really think we're being hypocritical for not wanting to deal with this latest behavior.

I don’t know what Yaki’s point was, other than that he was losing his mind over something that was not worth losing his mind over.

Wolker is at the opposite end of the political spectrum from Leach, if you doubt that read his material. He is biased. It shows In his writing. This is in addition to his documented willingness to help Currie spin the hiring of Schiano.
The problem is I don’t read his stuff other than what involved leach, and the article was spot on about leach’s Hireability . Leach then gets in Twitter spat with the author and doubled down as yaki had said . He would have been a little smarter if he just let it ride instead of challenging him to a debate .

The one and only cougfan.com.
What!?!? I'm shocked, shocked I say! They've always been such staunch supporters of Coach Leach. I'm dumbfounded they would pass along an "unsubstantiated report"!

Free speech is not without consequences. Mike can say what he wants, but people who cut checks don't have to like it.

Reactions: Tx64

The irony here is what dgibbons doesn't tell you is that WSU's conduct board procedures were essentially the same as virtually every other university on the west coast (the UW being the exception), procedures repeatedly upheld over the last 40 years. In the Barber case, the COA decided, for the first time, that greater due process protections were warranted, despite the fact that it had repeatedly upheld the old process in the past. That is how the law works, it evolves. However, as an attorney (I’m assuming), dgibbons knows this, but continues to perpetuate, much like Leach did, a false premise that the university was using procedures that it knew violated student rights ("backward ways"). This simply is false. The conduct board's primary failing was that it did not follow the University's procedures. For that, the board should be criticized. But criticizing the University for not anticipating that the COA would institute a legal seachange, is complete horshit.

We all know that Leach would not have been criticized had he had a bone to pick with a legitimate view or policy of Obama. He is and was rightly criticized for using a doctored video, that portrays Obama as having the views of a tyrant. Considering that this man peacefully and willingly surrendered power, it is proven nonsense.

Rightly or wrongly, the fake news crap on Obama, i.e. the Kenyan, tyrant, elitist, is seen as thinly veiled racism in a number of circles. The fact that a leech like Yaki, recognizes this, and wants Leach to STFU, is recognition of how damaging to WSU Leach’s behavior has been. It isn’t like Yaki is like me, who has never been a big Leach fan. Conversely, the fact that dgibbons and others defend Leach, by accusing others of bias and relying on false premises, shows how powerful a “cult of personality” can be. They’d probably continue to support Leach’s actions if he tweeted a video “proving” that Obama was from Kenya. Frankly, they would likely continue to support him, blaming others, if he reduced WSU to ashes.

Politics are so lame. Find another group to belong to (your family) to build a sense of purpose and affiliation. Both guys suck and both parties suck. And I thought leach was smarter.

The irony here is what dgibbons doesn't tell you is that WSU's conduct board procedures were essentially the same as virtually every other university on the west coast (the UW being the exception), procedures repeatedly upheld over the last 40 years. In the Barber case, the COA decided, for the first time, that greater due process protections were warranted, despite the fact that it had repeatedly upheld the old process in the past. That is how the law works, it evolves. However, as an attorney (I’m assuming), dgibbons knows this, but continues to perpetuate, much like Leach did, a false premise that the university was using procedures that it knew violated student rights ("backward ways"). This simply is false. The conduct board's primary failing was that it did not follow the University's procedures. For that, the board should be criticized. But criticizing the University for not anticipating that the COA would institute a legal seachange, is complete horshit.

We all know that Leach would not have been criticized had he had a bone to pick with a legitimate view or policy of Obama. He is and was rightly criticized for using a doctored video, that portrays Obama as having the views of a tyrant. Considering that this man peacefully and willingly surrendered power, it is proven nonsense.

Rightly or wrongly, the fake news crap on Obama, i.e. the Kenyan, tyrant, elitist, is seen as thinly veiled racism in a number of circles. The fact that a leech like Yaki, recognizes this, and wants Leach to STFU, is recognition of how damaging to WSU Leach’s behavior has been. It isn’t like Yaki is like me, who has never been a big Leach fan. Conversely, the fact that dgibbons and others defend Leach, by accusing others of bias and relying on false premises, shows how powerful a “cult of personality” can be. They’d probably continue to support Leach’s actions if he tweeted a video “proving” that Obama was from Kenya. Frankly, they would likely continue to support him, blaming others, if he reduced WSU to ashes.

uw and six or seven other schools in the State of Washington used a different procedure. But any person with a shred of common sense would have known due process was lacking for matters where the student was facing suspension or expulsion.

Courts across the country had been striking down student conduct procedures, so it was easy to see coming.

Last edited:

Speaking of losing, do you bill your clients for the considerable time you spend here on the board?

So what. If bama wants to be that way, let them. Not at WSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT