ADVERTISEMENT

The formula for disaster …we saw it in 2008

Wow. We could have been located in Tacoma.
Trons 80K seat Apple Cup stadium coulda been in Renton…that might have worked right next to the Seahawks facility! And Husky Stadium would be the second greatest college football setting within 30 miles!

I disagree completely with you on this. Leach calling a recruit or a transfer portal prospect and saying "how would you like to lead the Nation in passing," immediately gets them to listen. It's a factual statement. There are air-raid QBs currently on NFL rosters, and leading the Nation in passing opens all kinds of PR doors for your future endeavors (coaching, for starters).

QB school reputations absolutely matter in the recruiting circles. Hell yes they do. Defensive back reputations matter in the recruiting circles. Recruiting is selling, and any salesman worth their salt is going to leverage the fact that we've had #1 & #2 overall NFL draft pics and a slew of other NFL QBs spanning the last 5 decades. "Listen son, it's not a coincidence that WSU produces great QBs. Why are you considering that MWC program? Colorado, Oregon State, Arizona, ASU?"

Not trying to sound like I'm lecturing you here, but WSU is regarded to be a QB producing University. How many schools West of Texas crank out better QBs than us? There are a few, but not many.

I do think it matters. A lot, actually. Recruiting is selling. Now, I can't go into living rooms and sell only those 20-30 legacy QBs to kids considering USC, UCLA, Oregon, UW, etc.; but I can absolutely sell our QB pipeline to kids considering just about any other school on the West coast. That's my point, I guess.

I know Penn State cranks out stud linebackers. I know Ohio State and Georgia churns out RBs and WRs. I know UW produces TEs, DL, and DBs consistently. Certain programs carry positional reputations. I'm not saying WSU is as well regarded as those programs, but we are known up and down the west coast as a school that produces QBs. It's talked about by the television broadcast crews, high school coaches know it, WSU markets the Hell out of it, and we generally don't go too many years without having one of the best QBs out West.

It's a recurring theme. Thompson, Rypien, Rosey, Bledsoe, Leaf, Gesser, Kegel, Brink , Halliday, Falk, Minshew, Gordon. Not all of these guys were elite, but we're talking about top-10 NFL draft picks, Super Bowl MVP, Hall of Fame, P12 champs, National passing leaders. That's a timeline spanning from the late 1970s through 2019. If I'm a WSU recruiter, that's a lot of sales ammo for me that I can deliver confidently to the parents and players. They're gonna consider a MWC program over WSU? A bottom tier P12 program over WSU? Play QB for Utah over WSU?

Sorry, but there's no reason why WSU shouldn't be in the mix for top-10 rated West coast QBs every year.
You are grossly overestimating the reputation and it's relevance.

Who's the last great LB Penn State produced?

I'm legit asking. I don't follow Penn state
I used Penn State as an example because I lived in Pennsylvania for 9 years, and they have a history of producing linebackers and Italian-American players. :) Unfortunately, they have a now infamous Italian-American former head coach, but I digress...

Yes, over the past several decades, Penn State has a history of having their linebackers drafted. Some years they don't have any drafted, and other years, they have their entire linebacking group move to the NFL. High school football is HUGE in Pennsylvania and Ohio, and if you're a defensive player, Penn State is always on your short list of schools.

Now, WSU obviously isn't Penn State, but again, if I'm recruiting for WSU, I would have no trouble at all selling West coast QBs on coming to Pullman. Would I land them all? Of course not, but our history of producing high achieving QBs spans 5 decades. That matters. It's one of the best sales/recruiting tools we have in our holster.

I used Penn State as an example because I lived in Pennsylvania for 9 years, and they have a history of producing linebackers and Italian-American players. :) Unfortunately, they have a now infamous Italian-American former head coach, but I digress...

Yes, over the past several decades, Penn State has a history of having their linebackers drafted. Some years they don't have any drafted, and other years, they have their entire linebacking group move to the NFL. High school football is HUGE in Pennsylvania and Ohio, and if you're a defensive player, Penn State is always on your short list of schools.

Now, WSU obviously isn't Penn State, but again, if I'm recruiting for WSU, I would have no trouble at all selling West coast QBs on coming to Pullman. Would I land them all? Of course not, but our history of producing high achieving QBs spans 5 decades. That matters. It's one of the best sales/recruiting tools we have in our holster.
Joe Pa....classic case of too much power....who would have ever "thunk" it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT