ADVERTISEMENT

The formula for disaster …we saw it in 2008

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
And now seeing it again. I always say the rebuild is five years, four if things go right.

The absolute disaster scenario for a new staff is not having a qb on the roster with experience and one you don’t even know if they are Pac 12 quality.

The second scenario is not having quality Pac 12 dlineman in the middle .

In 08 and now that is the case , and getting them on campus and ready to play is at least a three year project for a mid level coach who comes in here and can’t get the size and speed right away and has to develop it .

It took Leach four years to have a winning season. And he was able to get some guys because of his name that may have been more ready to play earlier on.

The problems we are having now in good part are a result of recruiting three and four years ago. While there are some shiny pieces, we don’t have a qb ready to play or may not have the ability to play. JDL reminds me of a 9th inning reliever . Great in spots, the longer you keep him out there the longer you are exposed to his shortcomings. His last throw against USC was just that, a throw. There was no read, he just chucked it .

So here is the question that goes beyond vaxing. Will patience be rewarded like it was with Price after 89-91 and 98-2000, or like what OSU looks to be now getting respectable and being patient with J Smith. And Smith was really smart getting Milhalchik(a guy Wulff wanted in his first staff) and his ability to get his five guys up front on the line to play together . They blew up usc’s defensive line .

So who do we have .. and it is a tough question because of recruiting shortcomings that are now coming to the forefront.. Do we have Price and Smith or Wulff ?

The great thing with Leach is he almost never had sub par QB play. If the starter got hurt, a walk on could come in and be fine. He could bring in a grad transfer with no spring ball and be fine. He could go with a 5th year JC transfer with almost no live snaps and be fine. Between JDL, Cooper and Cruz, heck even with Guarantano if he had brought him in, I bet we'd be fine at that position. Rolo has taken what options he has, dinked around with the depth chart and practice reps and trotted out gawd awful QB play. Would it get better as he grooms whomever his guy would be? I don't know, maybe. I'm not all that confident though.

The great thing with Leach is he almost never had sub par QB play. If the starter got hurt, a walk on could come in and be fine. He could bring in a grad transfer with no spring ball and be fine. He could go with a 5th year JC transfer with almost no live snaps and be fine. Between JDL, Cooper and Cruz, heck even with Guarantano if he had brought him in, I bet we'd be fine at that position. Rolo has taken what options he has, dinked around with the depth chart and practice reps and trotted out gawd awful QB play. Would it get better as he grooms whomever his guy would be? I don't know, maybe. I'm not all that confident though.
I go between luck and genius...depends on my mood. It would seem to be "easier" just to have a kid you recruit and have them be the QB for 2-3 years. But he hasn't had great luck in identifying kids out of high school, including Bruggman, Bender, Cruz, Neville, Cooper and I would even say JDL. Why the top QB's in the country, like the Dart kid at USC isn't banging down the door to play for a guy who will chuck it 60 times a game without a blink of an eye.

I will say his strategy rolled a snake eyes as he left WU without a QB. JDL isn't his typical recruit.

On the other hand, his Qb's by the time they are seniors seem to grasp what he is doing, in part I think they get so many more reps as even backups than the typical QB rotation. I almost think he runs dual practices where the back ups get as many throws as the starters.

But staff on Saturday had to figure a way to just get 24 points. What we have is a 14 point a game offense....and that isn't going to cut it.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I haven't seen X Ward practice yet, so I'm not sure hot to rate our QB pipeline. I'm still high on JDL, provided he gets the reps, the coaching, and the right system to work with, and if Ward (who I've heard good things about) pans out, perhaps the QB situation isn't as murky as it looks now with JG and CC.

The rest of the roster comes down to recruiting and player development, which again, is something I don't even know how to evaluate Rolo on. With COVID last year, JDL's off field stupidity, and now Rolo's self inflicted vaccine disaster, I've lost confidence in the direction of the program. We need to plug a lot of holes via the transfer portal, but if I'm a transfer, do I risk signing with this staff?

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I haven't seen X Ward practice yet, so I'm not sure hot to rate our QB pipeline. I'm still high on JDL, provided he gets the reps, the coaching, and the right system to work with, and if Ward (who I've heard good things about) pans out, perhaps the QB situation isn't as murky as it looks now with JG and CC.

The rest of the roster comes down to recruiting and player development, which again, is something I don't even know how to evaluate Rolo on. With COVID last year, JDL's off field stupidity, and now Rolo's self inflicted vaccine disaster, I've lost confidence in the direction of the program. We need to plug a lot of holes via the transfer portal, but if I'm a transfer, do I risk signing with this staff?

No one is serious about WSU until they know what happens with the vax and then see how the season ends. No one with options is choosing a school with this much uncertainty.

Reactions: wazzucougs96
I go between luck and genius...depends on my mood. It would seem to be "easier" just to have a kid you recruit and have them be the QB for 2-3 years. But he hasn't had great luck in identifying kids out of high school, including Bruggman, Bender, Cruz, Neville, Cooper and I would even say JDL. Why the top QB's in the country, like the Dart kid at USC isn't banging down the door to play for a guy who will chuck it 60 times a game without a blink of an eye.

I will say his strategy rolled a snake eyes as he left WU without a QB. JDL isn't his typical recruit.

On the other hand, his Qb's by the time they are seniors seem to grasp what he is doing, in part I think they get so many more reps as even backups than the typical QB rotation. I almost think he runs dual practices where the back ups get as many throws as the starters.

But staff on Saturday had to figure a way to just get 24 points. What we have is a 14 point a game offense....and that isn't going to cut it.
It was never arrogance when it came to evaluating a quarterback. If you look at his history at TT, he did bring in a QB just to bring in a QB. Yet, there were at least a couple of QB's that could give them a winning record given their understanding of his system. No need to mix in the worst of his QB recruiting. Oh, and I'm no fan of everything he did or continues to do. There is a little arrogance in that. What the staff should do is (or the new staff) is watch the film of every QB he offers and somewhere in there may be a Baker Mayfield that no one else seems to value.

And now seeing it again. I always say the rebuild is five years, four if things go right.

The absolute disaster scenario for a new staff is not having a qb on the roster with experience and one you don’t even know if they are Pac 12 quality.

In 08 and now that is the case , and getting them on campus and ready to play is at least a three year project for a mid level coach who comes in here and can’t get the size and speed right away and has to develop it .

It took Leach four years to have a winning season. And he was able to get some guys because of his name that may have been more ready to play earlier on.

The problems we are having now in good part are a result of recruiting three and four years ago. While there are some shiny pieces, we don’t have a qb ready to play or may not have the ability to play. JDL reminds me of a 9th inning reliever . Great in spots, the longer you keep him out there the longer you are exposed to his shortcomings. His last throw against USC was just that, a throw. There was no read, he just chucked it .

So here is the question that goes beyond vaxing. Will patience be rewarded like it was with Price after 89-91 and 98-2000, or like what OSU looks to be now getting respectable and being patient with J Smith. And Smith was really smart getting Milhalchik(a guy Wulff wanted in his first staff) and his ability to get his five guys up front on the line to play together . They blew up usc’s defensive line .

So who do we have .. and it is a tough question because of recruiting shortcomings that are now coming to the forefront.. Do we have Price and Smith or Wulff ?

Your comment about DeLaura makes me think that you didn't watch the game all that closely. Right before he went on the field, he was using smelling salts or something else on the sideline and they showed it on TV. I don't know what happened, but he should have never went back on the field because something was off and his last throw was a throw being heaved out there by someone who is in a daze and had no reflection on his current or future capabilities. Just another thing that shows that Rolovich is an idiot though.

Your comment about DeLaura makes me think that you didn't watch the game all that closely. Right before he went on the field, he was using smelling salts or something else on the sideline and they showed it on TV. I don't know what happened, but he should have never went back on the field because something was off and his last throw was a throw being heaved out there by someone who is in a daze and had no reflection on his current or future capabilities. Just another thing that shows that Rolovich is an idiot though.
Flat...I didn't see the game live, I was on an airplane. But I did see it. I would "buy' your rationale if I hadn't seen it maybe 8-10 times before. That isn't the only poor decision he has made, concussed or not concussed.

You don't "luck out" on QBs for 2 decades.

And, did he leave Rolo with no options? Or, can Rolo just not develop QBs?

And this idea that Leach couldn't recruit HS QBs is disingenuous, unless you don't think he "recruited" the winningest QB in school history.

You don't "luck out" on QBs for 2 decades.

And, did he leave Rolo with no options? Or, can Rolo just not develop QBs?

And this idea that Leach couldn't recruit HS QBs is disingenuous, unless you don't think he "recruited" the winningest QB in school history.
Luck? Not sure I mean it in the sense you are thinking. I think he knows what is needed to make his offense work. The QB needs to know where to go with the ball.

There is enough evidence at WSU he would have a qb ready, and for him it didn't matter where they came from. But look at Costello at MSU. He was our JG.

Luck meaning he was on a hire wire without a back up plan. I am comparing him to USC, have qb's on that roster that can start all over the country. We knock out their starter, their back up is probably better. I would think WU would have two functioning QB's, maybe ala Tuel and Halliday would be a good example. Or Tuel Halliday, Clement and Apodoca...all D1 starters if I recall correctly.

Leach was a master of teaching his system. I think Tyler would have had similar success as Minchew that year. Maybe not 9-3 but certainly 7-4. But without Minshew coming in (and what did he do at ECU that said he was it) do we go 9-3.

But the pointy being maybe luck is not the right word, but living on the edge without high school depth to take over if Falk goes down for example.

I just know he had Falk, (not sure he was "recruited" out of high school, but a great find however he got to campus), and why he swung and missed on Bruggman, Cruz, Neville, etc where he had to get transfers is a mystery to me. All I know is we don't have a young kid on campus and I can honestly say he is it. Cooper for example was never going to play for Leach. And I heard that whisper during Coopers freshman year.

And when it comes to the high school QB, I just know how many kids he struck out on. Again, I would think kids like Dart would line up to play for him.

Luck? Not sure I mean it in the sense you are thinking. I think he knows what is needed to make his offense work. The QB needs to know where to go with the ball.

There is enough evidence at WSU he would have a qb ready, and for him it didn't matter where they came from. But look at Costello at MSU. He was our JG.

Luck meaning he was on a hire wire without a back up plan. I am comparing him to USC, have qb's on that roster that can start all over the country. We knock out their starter, their back up is probably better. I would think WU would have two functioning QB's, maybe ala Tuel and Halliday would be a good example. Or Tuel Halliday, Clement and Apodoca...all D1 starters if I recall correctly.

Leach was a master of teaching his system. I think Tyler would have had similar success as Minchew that year. Maybe not 9-3 but certainly 7-4. But without Minshew coming in (and what did he do at ECU that said he was it) do we go 9-3.

But the pointy being maybe luck is not the right word, but living on the edge without high school depth to take over if Falk goes down for example.

I just know he had Falk, (not sure he was "recruited" out of high school, but a great find however he got to campus), and why he swung and missed on Bruggman, Cruz, Neville, etc where he had to get transfers is a mystery to me. All I know is we don't have a young kid on campus and I can honestly say he is it. Cooper for example was never going to play for Leach. And I heard that whisper during Coopers freshman year.

And when it comes to the high school QB, I just know how many kids he struck out on. Again, I would think kids like Dart would line up to play for him.
Of course Falk was recruited. He didn't just show up for open tryouts on day 1.

And Cruz was starting Pac12 games this year. Bender went on to start at Kansas as well.

And I don't think JDL would have been the best fit for the Air Raid, but Leach would have him playing better than this. Give Leach this exact depth chart, and he's got one of them ready to play. Add Cruz, and maybe swap Guarantano for another transfer from somewhere, and I'm even more confident in it.

Also, there's something to be said for Leach, or his offense keeping QBs relatively healthy. Wulff had guys breaking their spines against Portland St and had Tuel break his clavicle diving for first downs against Idaho St, and Rolo has his starter sniffing smelling salts on the sideline and coming back into games. So, you can say Leach was playing a high wire act, but truth is, we don't really know, because his backups rarely had to play.

I've posted before that recruiting the QB position today involves mining the transfer portal. Leach figured that out, Georgia figured it out. Oklahoma had success with it, Utah. Oregon State's top-2 QBs are both transfers, one from Colorado, and their solid looking starter is a JC guy.

I always want WSU to recruit the best high school kid they can get in every class, but I also want them to take advantage of our QB school reputation and go after transfers whenever applicable. It's a huge benefit to being a P5 school. You get to look through the FCS and G5 ranks for kids wanting to make a splash.

In terms of sufficient personnel, the OL is fine and has been fine since Leach left and would have continued to be fine if he was still here. The DL needed an overhaul. The bodies are there, the quality is not. Team speed on defense needs to improve, but that's the case at least 90 percent of the time at WSU.

The "absolute disaster" has been a staff that is not ready for Pac-12 football in terms of efficient and effective practice, adjustments (they can obviously script plays so they are capable of some Xs and Os).

And yes, it seems that avoiding second half meltdowns and getting the QB ready to play are much more important things than vax status, despite the tantrums many have thrown on the subject.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN

And Cruz was starting Pac12 games this year. Bender went on to start at Kansas as well.

And I don't think JDL would have been the best fit for the Air Raid, but Leach would have him playing better than this. Give Leach this exact depth chart, and he's got one of them ready to play. Add Cruz, and maybe swap Guarantano for another transfer from somewhere, and I'm even more confident in it.

Also, there's something to be said for Leach, or his offense keeping QBs relatively healthy. Wulff had guys breaking their spines against Portland St and had Tuel break his clavicle diving for first downs against Idaho St, and Rolo has his starter sniffing smelling salts on the sideline and coming back into games. So, you can say Leach was playing a high wire act, but truth is, we don't really know, because his backups rarely had to play.
IMO, de Laura was the best available at the time he committed and that's why he's here. Leach missed out on everybody else for 2020.

Reactions: SDCoug

There are two discussions and two thoughts around this discussion. One, did Leach do a good job with the qb''s on the field. No, he did a great job. Two, one of his under-sung qualities is that his QB's stayed upright. Only two exceptions come to mind when he had to play Flor at center in 2014 and Leonard Williams broke connors leg, and when Falk missed the Apple Cup.

Second, I guess I am use to hearing walk-on's really weren't recruited. Yes, Falk was recruited, just not how it was typically done.

Third, you are correct I had 100% faith we would get good QB play. That doesn't mean he had the anticipated success at recruiting HS kids. He was brilliant at getting guys like Gordon, Tinsley etc to stick around for three and four years to get a chance to start. Most guys see the writing on the wall and move to Eastern, Montana etc.

In terms of sufficient personnel, the OL is fine and has been fine since Leach left and would have continued to be fine if he was still here. The DL needed an overhaul. The bodies are there, the quality is not. Team speed on defense needs to improve, but that's the case at least 90 percent of the time at WSU.

The "absolute disaster" has been a staff that is not ready for Pac-12 football in terms of efficient and effective practice, adjustments (they can obviously script plays so they are capable of some Xs and Os).

And yes, it seems that avoiding second half meltdowns and getting the QB ready to play are much more important things than vax status, despite the tantrums many have thrown on the subject.
Ryan can't block in this scheme. Either can Kingston. Ryan needs to be moved inside. CG at center to date does not look like a Pac 12 player. Beresford doesn't look to be ready for the Pac 12 either. Abe Lucan can't block everyone. And he even looks like he isnt the same. So maybe they need to go to the Leach splits and hide their deficiencies.

I think you are forgetting that Connor damn near had his leg snapped in half and Falk had his head bouncing off the turf like it was a basketball. I still worry about his health.

A transfer of some kind makes sense at the QB position. Presumably the depth chart will be de Laura, Ward and Lara, with de Laura your grizzled veteran as a RS sophomore with time missed due to injury.

Ryan can't block in this scheme. Either can Kingston. Ryan needs to be moved inside. CG at center to date does not look like a Pac 12 player. Beresford doesn't look to be ready for the Pac 12 either. Abe Lucan can't block everyone. And he even looks like he isnt the same. So maybe they need to go to the Leach splits and hide their deficiencies.

Well, they weren't recruited for this scheme. Why is Rolovich asking these guys to do things they can't do?

No one is serious about WSU until they know what happens with the vax and then see how the season ends. No one with options is choosing a school with this much uncertainty.
But $3 million is going to bring potential coaches out of the woodwork?

There are very a finite number of P5 jobs that pay 3 million or more. Do you really think we wouldn't have a list of suitors?
We could get some decent candidates and should expect to land a solid candidate, certainly, but remember what it was like all the way back in ... 2019. There was a lot more talk--and yes, I know it was driven by agents reaching out to Brand X and I don't mean to suggest they ever were taken seriously, but in part it reflects the reality of our situation--about laughable retreads like Mora and Neuheisel than there was about any of the nationally-known hot commodities we might fantasize about getting.

Just look around the Pac-12, too -- UW elevated Lake and he seemed to have a hard time finding decent coordinators. Colorado hired Dorrell, paying him more than $3m a year. That seem exciting? Arizona hired Fisch, which was panned, even if it might turn out OK (and they're not paying him $3m, but they didn't need to, either). Guys like Harrell and Grinch aren't taking the job. They know what it's like to have a talent deficiency every week and they know they are in line for better gigs elsewhere. Their wives also wouldn't let them.

With all that in mind, then realize that the situation now is much worse than it was than when Leach left. We weren't getting anything better than a Mountain West graduate even when Leach had left things in pretty good shape and the program was viewed with relative positivity.

Even if we pay the head man $3m or more, that's still just a P5 market wage, not as much as anyone can make in some other conferences, even if a good, solid Pac-12 wage, and we still have a bottom-quartile assistant pool and all the other stuff that makes it a coach-assailer if not necessarily a coach-killer.

Not being defeatist, just my take on reality, which is where I reside most of the time.

Best thing I've heard by far is Banks. He might go for it. I don't think he could expect to land a better HC gig anytime soon.

Last edited:
IMO, de Laura was the best available at the time he committed and that's why he's here. Leach missed out on everybody else for 2020.
That makes a lot of sense.

When I saw the televised high school game in Vegas JDL played in, my impression was, “Wow, what an athlete. But he’s not very accurate.” I know that QB accuracy is one of, if not the top thing that Leach looks for in a QB. Offering him was kind of a head scratcher for me at the time.

There are very a finite number of P5 jobs that pay 3 million or more. Do you really think we wouldn't have a list of suitors?

Chun will get calls from guys and agents you have never heard of and never thought would be interested. NFL guys, CFL guys, P5 HCs and coordinators.

$3,000,000+ doesnt grow on trees.

Reactions: SilverStateCoug

I don't think the list is what Biggs thinks it would be. And pointing out his self-contradiction.

Chun will get calls from guys and agents you have never heard of and never thought would be interested. NFL guys, CFL guys, P5 HCs and coordinators.

$3,000,000+ doesnt grow on trees.
Pager numbers from coaches in the middle of a pub crawl in Honolulu…

Would be very 2020/21/WSU for WSU to hire a guy from Marin County who winds up making a national story out of not wanting to get vaccinated, and is framed as a player's coach but has whatever you'd want to describe the Kassidy Woods issues as, and then wound up with Mike Leach coaching here again.

Would be very 2020/21/WSU for WSU to hire a guy from Marin County who winds up making a national story out of not wanting to get vaccinated, and is framed as a player's coach but has whatever you'd want to describe the Kassidy Woods issues as, and then wound up with Mike Leach coaching here again.
Would Leach's former players welcome him back without the promise of water balloon fights after the spring game?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT