ADVERTISEMENT

The Hawaii Bowl is on YouTube

dgibbons

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 24, 2002
It’s a 2 hour and 39 minute version edited to remove commercials. The guy that posted it should be receiving a cease and desist order any minute, so it could be gone soon. Not the best camera angles.

Some observations. The UH defense was bad. Not particularly athletic and some poor tackling and angles. Good move bringing in the Wyoming guys. Special teams gave up some big punt returns.

3 x 1, 2 x 2 and some empty set on offense. No two back sets. Hawaii had a really poor third quarter. Four straight three and outs.

Hawaii finished with 2 yards rushing, on 27 carries. The starting QB got pulled for one series midway through the 3rd quarter after the offense started to bog down. The backup did not impress. I couldn’t tell if the receivers lined up in the same spots or moved around. The OL appeared to have typical splits. The RG was in a three point stance, but the the LG and tackles were in two point stance. The tackles were pretty lean and looked athletic. The guards and center, let’s just say they did not. I was impressed with their ability to get vertical in the first half, but BYU shut them down in the second. They scored the game winning TD with about a minute left.

There were a surprising number of guys that had some serious girth, on offense and defense. And it didn’t look like good weight.

Reactions: spongeworthy12
2 yds on 27 carries. Brutal.

Four straight three and outs is an auto loss against anyone with our defense.

Not worried about the OL girth, Rolo is inheriting a bunch of lean athletic guys. Disappointing to hear lots of players were carrying bad weight. Let's hope that doesn't become a feature here.

they didn't run well, but college stats subtracting sack loss yardage to rushing total is dumb.

they did pass for 493

There is also a 22 minute highlight package of their game vs UW, if anyone is curious about how they defended the run and shoot.

One other comment, with the post snap reads by the QB and WR, when it goes wrong it's ugly. Like throwing to a spot where there is no one within 10 yards. There will be some WTF interceptions where it looks like the QB threw the ball directly to the defender.

One other comment, with the post snap reads by the QB and WR, when it goes wrong it's ugly. Like throwing to a spot where there is no one within 10 yards. There will be some WTF interceptions where it looks like the QB threw the ball directly to the defender.

Yeah I saw that early on in the game. After learning how all their routes are basically option routes, I figured we would see some of that.

I wonder if the qb reads will be quicker. I saw one video where they talk about the guy they send in motion called the "adjuster" to determine the defense...and pre snap they eliminate one guy from the route.

Not sure if that will make for quicker/ easier reads or not but we'll see...and they don't always send a guy in motion but I'm pretty sure they eliminate a guy from the route pre snap based on the D.

This guy has a smorgasboard of run and shoot videos as well as other spread concepts. Worth a look-see for those interested:

I have been wondering about this. With multiple options for WRs on the route trees, it seems like there will need to be air tight cohesion on the decision process between them and the QB, which quite frankly does not sound possible.

I have been wondering about this. With multiple options for WRs on the route trees, it seems like there will need to be air tight cohesion on the decision process between them and the QB, which quite frankly does not sound possible.

Trade offs. The success the run and shoot has with the vertical routes will be wonderful. The price will be some ugly picks.

Trade offs. The success the run and shoot has with the vertical routes will be wonderful. The price will be some ugly picks.

This board is going to be more bipolar than usual. When those vertical routes hit, we will be on cloud nine. But when those routes don't hit, the pitch fork and torches will be out in force.

Just speculation on my part but I bet Falk would have really liked the run and shoot. Seems like the reads are quicker and easier once you get some reps with the receiver.

I think that would have eliminated the deer in the headlights look

This board is going to be more bipolar than usual. When those vertical routes hit, we will be on cloud nine. But when those routes don't hit, the pitch fork and torches will be out in force.

No worse than Gordon throwing his picks this past season.

Just speculation on my part but I bet Falk would have really liked the run and shoot. Seems like the reads are quicker and easier once you get some reps with the receiver.

Maybe. I think the Air Raid has easier reads but the R&S isn't the most complex offense either. I just think the required communication on option routes will have our QB holding the ball for a bit longer.

I'm not as in love with vertical routes as a lot of fans are. They're great energy plays, but they also put your defense right back on the field. One of the most underrated aspects of Leach's air raid is that it's a ball control passing offense. Until we solve our defensive issues, scoring quickly won't necessarily be a good thing.

There's more IF/Then calculations in the RnS.
Also, given that Rolo has his QBs run the ball more frequently, I am not sure Falk would have flourished.

Maybe. I think the Air Raid has easier reads but the R&S isn't the most complex offense either. I just think the required communication on option routes will have our QB holding the ball for a bit longer.
I only watched the first scoring g drive of the Hawaii bowl but it seems they get the ball out quicker.

Limited sample size though.

They scored more than we did against UW with lesser athletes.

Our DC also drastically outpaced our defense against similar opponents with lesser talent.

I’ll give this staff the benefit of the doubt for a while

We'll have to see. I don't like various aspects of the Run and Shoot, but honestly, I didn't really like the Leach Air Raid either. (The results, however, were undeniable even if the Leach Air Raid was frustrating to watch at times.) We'll have to see what the Run and Shoot is like. The idea of an offense where you don't know where your receiver is going and are relying on him to make the same read as you post-snap, all while you have a bunch of defensive linemen and blitzers trying to crush you and tens of thousands of people screaming, sounds pretty ridiculous to me as a QB. The receiver having the ability to go where they ain't in real time sounds attractive, though. Will be a mixed bag.

Yep, that's the run and shoot right there. It'll look unstoppable and then awful in the same game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT