ADVERTISEMENT

The new look Big-12 and TV interest...

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
I look at this graphic and say to myself "do i really care about any of these games?" It'll be interesting to see how their TV ratings play out. It could also be true that ESPN "overpaid" for the Big-12 and the next round might not be as favorable.

For what it is and the reality of how it came together, it's solid. They don't have any legitimate title contenders and there are some weak programs in their current state, but these are all solid programs that could be a top-25ish kind of team in any given year in decent, not exceptional, circumstances and there are some programs that in theory could compete to win a title if a lot of things went right. Two of the bottom three programs are in top-10 metros and the other (BYU) has a large following. Most fans in this conference's footprint care about football more than they do out west. I think it will do OK.

Reactions: Houclone4
For what it is and the reality of how it came together, it's solid. They don't have any legitimate title contenders and there are some weak programs in their current state, but these are all solid programs that could be a top-25ish kind of team in any given year in decent, not exceptional, circumstances and there are some programs that in theory could compete to win a title if a lot of things went right. Two of the bottom three programs are in top-10 metros and the other (BYU) has a large following. Most fans in this conference's footprint care about football more than they do out west. I think it will do OK.
I don't disagree with these programs and markets, their will be interest. Outside of these markets, I am not sure. I think the Cougs/Beavs will get some viewers mainly from Seattle/Portland if our games are before/after UW or Oregon games.

Looking at it objectively, it looks like a competitive league. None of them are top tier teams, none are terrible. I don't look at any of them and think they've got no shot at the league title. There also isn't a team that's likely to make it past the first round of the CFP.

But, there also isn't anyone who's all that interesting outside a relatively small region. There are some representatives from big markets, but those are pretty much markets that either don't care or they're not the primary team in that market. Gotta think that ESPN's next offer isn't going to be any bigger than the current one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT