ADVERTISEMENT

There is a path back

PlutoDroid

Recruit
Aug 6, 2023
Hi Cougar fans. I know right now it seems like college football is just for the Big boys and nobody else. I really don't want to see it become the SEC/B1G SHOW. I'm a Gator fan first, but a college football fan overall.

Eleven years ago the Big East folded. Cincinnati was forgotten about, UCF had their lone glorious season as a P6 member and won the league. UCONN just threw up their hands and followed the Villanova plan. USF just kind of withered.

My point in that history lesson is to point at the first two names listed. Both Cincy and UCF invested in their programs without major conference support. They fell off the map, slowly they made some good hires and built themselves up into programs that were better than when they were in a P6 league. Cincy made a playoff despite the formula being designed to keep them out.

This year Houston, Cincy, and UCF all got that call back into relevancy. At least as relevant as you can be outside the SEC or B1G. BYU was always a national brand imo. They survived being independent until they got an offer to join the table.

It sucks to lose the second oldest conference out there. It sucks to see mega conferences. It sucks to lose classic bowl importance. It really sucks to see fans just as invested as anybody see their team lose their rivalries. But there is a way back. It's just gonna take some time. You think the B1G would have invited Oregon with an undergraduate number of just over 18,000, a medium sized stadium, and no national titles, twenty years ago?

Go win the league this year. See your flag at the next Game day show.

Hi Cougar fans. I know right now it seems like college football is just for the Big boys and nobody else. I really don't want to see it become the SEC/B1G SHOW. I'm a Gator fan first, but a college football fan overall.

Eleven years ago the Big East folded. Cincinnati was forgotten about, UCF had their lone glorious season as a P6 member and won the league. UCONN just threw up their hands and followed the Villanova plan. USF just kind of withered.

My point in that history lesson is to point at the first two names listed. Both Cincy and UCF invested in their programs without major conference support. They fell off the map, slowly they made some good hires and built themselves up into programs that were better than when they were in a P6 league. Cincy made a playoff despite the formula being designed to keep them out.

This year Houston, Cincy, and UCF all got that call back into relevancy. At least as relevant as you can be outside the SEC or B1G. BYU was always a national brand imo. They survived being independent until they got an offer to join the table.

It sucks to lose the second oldest conference out there. It sucks to see mega conferences. It sucks to lose classic bowl importance. It really sucks to see fans just as invested as anybody see their team lose their rivalries. But there is a way back. It's just gonna take some time. You think the B1G would have invited Oregon with an undergraduate number of just over 18,000, a medium sized stadium, and no national titles, twenty years ago?

Go win the league this year. See your flag at the next Game day show.

I know you mean well, but Houston, Cincinnati, UCF had HUGE METRO TV viewership, and HOTBED recruiting areas, and BIG TIME BOOSTER support, and LOTS of MONEY.

WSU is in PULLMAN, it's hard to get too, so no one wants to play WSU. WSU has a SHIT recruiting area, and the ONLY recruiting draw WSU has was P5, PAC 12 card, and immediate play time in PAC 12, and WSU has LITTLE money, and is in DEBT, and the FAN base is APATHETIC, don't donate, and will be more so now.

Yeah it would be great if WSU could do what your suggesting. It's technically, theoretically possible, like .00001% possible, but it's not gonna happen any more then PIGS flying.

Your comparison is apples to potatos, not apples to apples, or not even apples to Oranges.

Like I said, you have good intentions, and I hope, wish that would happen for WSU, but it's not going to happen, and you really don't know what your talking about, and don't understand the Challenges, problems WSU faces, that is a million times worse then anything those other programs that you talked about faced.

I know you mean well, but Houston, Cincinnati, UCF had HUGE METRO TV viewership, and HOTBED recruiting areas, and BIG TIME BOOSTER support, and LOTS of MONEY.

WSU is in PULLMAN, it's hard to get too, so no one wants to play WSU. WSU has a SHIT recruiting area, and the ONLY recruiting draw WSU has was P5, PAC 12 card, and immediate play time in PAC 12, and WSU has LITTLE money, and is in DEBT, and the FAN base is APATHETIC, don't donate, and will be more so now.

Yeah it would be great if WSU could do what your suggesting. It's technically, theoretically possible, like .00001% possible, but it's not gonna happen any more then PIGS flying.

Your comparison is apples to potatos, not apples to apples, or not even apples to Oranges.

Like I said, you have good intentions, and I hope, wish that would happen for WSU, but it's not going to happen, and you really don't know what your talking about, and don't understand the Challenges, problems WSU faces, that is a million times worse then anything those other programs that you talked about faced.
You are correct in the fact I don't know how the books look in Pullman. I moved to Arizona in 2012, have met some really great PAC fans. People in the East do have a stigma about the fans out West. Some of it is warranted, some is not. I know Washington was supposedly in debt with the previous television deal. They have a larger endowment, better history, and the Seattle market.

I don't know how the politics of the sports landscape is played in the Northwest. I just really dislike seeing good fans lose out on watching a better product. Never been to Pullman, probably couldn't find it on a map. I hope you guys can land somewhere relevant. Anybody laughing at you for this , doesn't realize it could have happened to the majority of programs. Vanderbilt, Purdue, Iowa State, Ole Miss etc.

You are correct in the fact I don't know how the books look in Pullman. I moved to Arizona in 2012, have met some really great PAC fans. People in the East do have a stigma about the fans out West. Some of it is warranted, some is not. I know Washington was supposedly in debt with the previous television deal. They have a larger endowment, better history, and the Seattle market.

I don't know how the politics of the sports landscape is played in the Northwest. I just really dislike seeing good fans lose out on watching a better product. Never been to Pullman, probably couldn't find it on a map. I hope you guys can land somewhere relevant. Anybody laughing at you for this , doesn't realize it could have happened to the majority of programs. Vanderbilt, Purdue, Iowa State, Ole Miss etc.
I’ll go one further than you: it’s going to happen to some of those other programs. This is step 1. In the next realignment, some of the lower end Big 10 and SEC schools are going to get kicked out. They’ll get replaced by ACC schools and maybe some of the Big 12. The 2 big conferences will use the others as proving grounds and then grab the bigger market draws.

As for the first reply…ignore him, most of us do.

Reactions: PlutoDroid

Thanks for your good intentioned trying to cheer us up.

It's sad that reality is that WSU probably won't mirror, Cincinnati, UCF, Houston.

Last edited:
I’ll go one further than you: it’s going to happen to some of those other programs. This is step 1. In the next realignment, some of the lower end Big 10 and SEC schools are going to get kicked out. They’ll get replaced by ACC schools and maybe some of the Big 12. The 2 big conferences will use the others as proving grounds and then grab the bigger market draws.

As for the first reply…ignore him, most of us do.

It's sad to see that day coming. College football was always awesome because in the old days a coach or player would never switch sides. In the NFL you have Brett Favre playing for the Packers, then two years later he almost leads the Vikings to the Super Bowl.

Woody Hayes hated Michigan. He wouldn't even stop for the night inside the state line. Driving through a major snowstorm until he crossed into Ohio😂. It's really starting to become another NFL. Two super leagues , no more Boise State beating Oklahoma in a huge bowl. Sad day for the sport. Hope we're wrong.

Reactions: ATACFD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT