ADVERTISEMENT

There's nothing like a pandemic to make everyone humble

froropmkr72

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2004
and before this goes away...I'd like to ask others what they've discovered over the past couple of weeks that makes them appreciate life a little bit more. I'd really like to hear from several others. I'll start off by saying that I thought I'd never be here...not only risking one's life, but risking others. Never thought I'd listen to Tucker Carlson, but after doing so...relearned the fact that we're mostly like than unlike....which makes me hate our current politics more then ever.

NEXT

Reactions: Coug95man2
and before this goes away...I'd like to ask others what they've discovered over the past couple of weeks that makes them appreciate life a little bit more. I'd really like to hear from several others. I'll start off by saying that I thought I'd never be here...not only risking one's life, but risking others. Never thought I'd listen to Tucker Carlson, but after doing so...relearned the fact that we're mostly like than unlike....which makes me hate our current politics more then ever.

NEXT

Not necessarily a discovery, but having great neighbors who have your back is a true blessing. Also discovered you aren't suppose to put bras (not mine mind you) in the dryer. Got an earful and almost a night on the couch for that move.

Reactions: metprof

NEXT
Don’t listen to Tucker Carlson.

Carlson gets props for being the only Fox News host to buck the networks propaganda line but every other major network and most print media was on the story as soon as if not before him. Fox News remains America’s most distrusted news source in my opinion.

CNN is either most distrusted or should be most distrusted followed by.

Most Distrusted or should be most distrusted

1. TMZ

2. Al Jazeera

3. CNN

4. MSNBC

5. New York Times

6. CBS

7. FOX

8. NBC

9. ABC

10 USA Today

11. Wall Street Journal

12. Washington Post

13. Public TV News

14.. CSPAN.

15. BBC

Most Trusted or should be Most Trusted List

1. CSPAN

2. BBC

3. Public TV News

4. Wall Street Journal

5. Washington Post

6. USA Today

7. ABC

8. NBC.

9. FOX

10. CBS

11. MSNBC

12. CNN

AL Jazeera, and TMZ dont get to even be listed on this list, because of how untrusted they are or should be.

Also a person should use ALL or As many of these news sources, as possible, whether TV, Newspaper, Radio, Internet, etc, and take what they say with a grain of salt, and compare what they all say, and see if they tell you, what you would like to hear, an or if they tell you what you need to hear, and listen, keep a open mind, even tho you disagree, and think about what they say LOGICALLY.

Also using Snopes, and other fact checkers to fact check what the news sources say.

Also a news source should be able to defend, debate, win a debate over its facts, sources, etc, in a LOGICAL way.

And instead of repeating the same TALKING POINTS, over and over and over, should rather cite the facts, sources, logic, etc, give a legit reason for their talking point, interpretation of the news.

Also news should do less talking points, and less interpretation.

Some to most people can interpret the news for themselves, and dont need someone to interpret it for them

Becauae of that, news sources should report more STRAIGHT NEWS, etc.

Doing these general things will keep better informed.

BTW, when I was riding a STA Transit Bus, A OFFICIAL ABC BREAKING NEWS came over the radio, announcing that Weapons of Mass Destruction, as a Smoking Gun, in the Form of 4 Artillery shells filled with VX Nerve gas had been found in a Bunker in Iraq.

1 Tablespoon of VX Nerve Gas is able to kill rhousands, about 1k to 15k people.

And there are about 8 to 15 Tablespoons of VX Nerve Gas that fits in 1 Artillery Shell. With 4 shells, thats about 30 to 60 Spoonfuls of VX Nerve gas, that can, would kill about 75k to 150k people.

But after that got reported by ABC BREAKING NEWS.

VERY NEXT DAY:

ALL THE NEWSPAPERS

SAID:

NO WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION FOUND.

Guess ABC News was either lying, or got it wrong.

But if they did get it wrong. They never corrected it.

NEXT
I’ll give a more serious answer the original question rather than argue about the relative merits of various news outlets. What I have observed is that our country’s sense of community is badly frayed if not irreparably broken. The idea of making any kind of sacrifice no matter how small in furtherance of the common good seems to be a non-starter for about half of the population. I think we would all be speaking German right now if we had always been like this.

I’ll give a more serious answer the original question rather than argue about the relative merits of various news outlets. What I have observed is that our country’s sense of community is badly frayed if not irreparably broken. The idea of making any kind of sacrifice no matter how small in furtherance of the common good seems to be a non-starter for about half of the population. I think we would all be speaking German right now if we had always been like this.
What I have observed is that our country’s sense of community is badly frayed if not irreparably broken. The idea of making any kind of sacrifice no matter how small in furtherance of the common good seems to be a non-starter for about half of the population. I think we would all be speaking German right now if we had always been like this. Just WOW to anyone born to anyone born into this generation...? Just WOW!

I always wondered, thought this.

It would certainly be Borderline, if we would win or lose.

But then whenever someone like Tillman, who gave up his NFL riches, he was actually getting from the NE Patriots, to then serve in Afghanistan, and SACRIFICE his life, I am reminded that we do have just barely enough that we just barely win.

Colonel Doolittle, before, as his strike force was getting ready to bomb Japan, said that he thought USA would win the war, because of them, pointing to those who Volunteered, knowing that 1 out of the 2 of each of them, at the very least would die, sacrifice their lives. He said that the USA is full of Volunteers like them, that will VOLUNTARILY sacrifice their lives, that it was just a matter of time until the USA won, because the USA Beats with the heart of a Volunteers.

The USA might not be as full of Volunteers, those that would make sacrifices as often, as it the USA used to be, but one only has to see ones like Tillman, stepping forward, and MANY, LOTS of our VOLUNTEER ARMED FORCES(Yes they get paid, but they are still volunteering, sacrificing), and the lots of our Paramedics, EMT's, Firefighters, First Responders, Doctors, Nurses, Police, etc, who have put their lives on the line during 9-11, and during Katrina, and put their lives on the line a lot, besides 9-11, etc.

Its the guy who is not a cop, militiary, etc, who went to his car, and got his gun, and then searched for the shooter that was shooting, killing, murdering people, who could have murdered hundreds, if the guy had not done that.

The guy didnt have to do that. He was safe from the shooter. By going after the shooter, he was risking his life, that the shooter might shoot him, kill him instead. He was a ordinary person who did a extraordinary heroic thing.

And there are a lot like him, those mentioned, that we as a society overlook, dint see, etc, because of things like the media not reporting it, or the NEGATIVE news that gets reported, not POSITIVE news, stories of people making sacrifices.

So there are a lot of people in the USA who if they were around in WW2 would have won the war.

I understand why you said what you said, but your wrong for now, altho if this crap in our country doesnt stop soon, we will probably get to the point your talking about pretty soon, or sooner then people think or realize.

I always wondered, thought this.

It would certainly be Borderline, if we would win or lose.

But then whenever someone like Tillman, who gave up his NFL riches, he was actually getting from the NE Patriots, to then serve in Afghanistan, and SACRIFICE his life, I am reminded that we do have just barely enough that we just barely win.

Colonel Doolittle, before, as his strike force was getting ready to bomb Japan, said that he thought USA would win the war, because of them, pointing to those who Volunteered, knowing that 1 out of the 2 of each of them, at the very least would die, sacrifice their lives. He said that the USA is full of Volunteers like them, that will VOLUNTARILY sacrifice their lives, that it was just a matter of time until the USA won, because the USA Beats with the heart of a Volunteers.

The USA might not be as full of Volunteers, those that would make sacrifices as often, as it the USA used to be, but one only has to see ones like Tillman, stepping forward, and MANY, LOTS of our VOLUNTEER ARMED FORCES(Yes they get paid, but they are still volunteering, sacrificing), and the lots of our Paramedics, EMT's, Firefighters, First Responders, Doctors, Nurses, Police, etc, who have put their lives on the line during 9-11, and during Katrina, and put their lives on the line a lot, besides 9-11, etc.

Its the guy who is not a cop, militiary, etc, who went to his car, and got his gun, and then searched for the shooter that was shooting, killing, murdering people, who could have murdered hundreds, if the guy had not done that.

The guy didnt have to do that. He was safe from the shooter. By going after the shooter, he was risking his life, that the shooter might shoot him, kill him instead. He was a ordinary person who did a extraordinary heroic thing.

And there are a lot like him, those mentioned, that we as a society overlook, dint see, etc, because of things like the media not reporting it, or the NEGATIVE news that gets reported, not POSITIVE news, stories of people making sacrifices.

So there are a lot of people in the USA who if they were around in WW2 would have won the war.

I understand why you said what you said, but your wrong for now, altho if this crap in our country doesnt stop soon, we will probably get to the point your talking about pretty soon, or sooner then people think or realize.
Didn’t mean to imply it’s a generational thing. I see people of all ages that just don’t seem to give a crap about anyone but themselves these days. There have always been some people like that but the prevalence of that attitude has taken me by surprise.

Ill respect the wishes and fears of those around me...however I'm not drinking the kool-aid.

Reactions: mikalalas
Carlson gets props for being the only Fox News host to buck the networks propaganda line but every other major network and most print media was on the story as soon as if not before him. Fox News remains America’s most distrusted news source in my opinion.
I’ll give him credit occasionally (he thinks Burr should resign, which he absolutely should) but 90% of the time he’s spewing the same propaganda that the rest of them do.

CNN is either most distrusted or should be most distrusted followed by.

Most Distrusted or should be most distrusted

1. TMZ

2. Al Jazeera

3. CNN

4. MSNBC

5. New York Times

6. CBS

7. FOX

8. NBC

9. ABC

10 USA Today

11. Wall Street Journal

12. Washington Post

13. Public TV News

14.. CSPAN.

15. BBC

Most Trusted or should be Most Trusted List

1. CSPAN

2. BBC

3. Public TV News

4. Wall Street Journal

5. Washington Post

6. USA Today

7. ABC

8. NBC.

9. FOX

10. CBS

11. MSNBC

12. CNN

AL Jazeera, and TMZ dont get to even be listed on this list, because of how untrusted they are or should be.

Also a person should use ALL or As many of these news sources, as possible, whether TV, Newspaper, Radio, Internet, etc, and take what they say with a grain of salt, and compare what they all say, and see if they tell you, what you would like to hear, an or if they tell you what you need to hear, and listen, keep a open mind, even tho you disagree, and think about what they say LOGICALLY.

Also using Snopes, and other fact checkers to fact check what the news sources say.

Also a news source should be able to defend, debate, win a debate over its facts, sources, etc, in a LOGICAL way.

And instead of repeating the same TALKING POINTS, over and over and over, should rather cite the facts, sources, logic, etc, give a legit reason for their talking point, interpretation of the news.

Also news should do less talking points, and less interpretation.

Some to most people can interpret the news for themselves, and dont need someone to interpret it for them

Becauae of that, news sources should report more STRAIGHT NEWS, etc.

Doing these general things will keep better informed.

BTW, when I was riding a STA Transit Bus, A OFFICIAL ABC BREAKING NEWS came over the radio, announcing that Weapons of Mass Destruction, as a Smoking Gun, in the Form of 4 Artillery shells filled with VX Nerve gas had been found in a Bunker in Iraq.

1 Tablespoon of VX Nerve Gas is able to kill rhousands, about 1k to 15k people.

And there are about 8 to 15 Tablespoons of VX Nerve Gas that fits in 1 Artillery Shell. With 4 shells, thats about 30 to 60 Spoonfuls of VX Nerve gas, that can, would kill about 75k to 150k people.

But after that got reported by ABC BREAKING NEWS.

VERY NEXT DAY:

ALL THE NEWSPAPERS

SAID:

NO WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION FOUND.

Guess ABC News was either lying, or got it wrong.

But if they did get it wrong. They never corrected it.

“these are not the droids you’re looking for. You can go about your business”

“these are not the droids you’re looking for. You can go about your business”

Side note, Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie since 1983. Good story that fit into the universe. Enough familiar faces, but not too many. Well put together. Filled a gap. Acting was pretty good.

Reactions: Coug90
As Fro originally asked: "I'd like to ask others what they've discovered over the past couple of weeks that makes them appreciate life a little bit more."

As I told wife & son last night, I am remarkably sanguine about what ever happens to me. It has been a good life. If I get another 30 or so, similar to so many in my genetic history, then that's great. But to answer Fro...

You gotta live every day of your life such that you have no need to apologize later. If you do that, then you are actively appreciating life in real time. You may not get to do everything you might like to do, but if you chart your course and help those around you rather than hurt, then you are getting it done.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Love your God and love your neighbor, and the rest pretty much takes care of itself.

I've learned that no matter the severity of the circumstance we have been plunged into some people will always put their political preferences and associated angers above all else. Whether it's bashing Fox, CNN, or who/whatever it's paramount that their opinion be heard and your's stifled. Sad

This is a time to embrace things beyond the superfluous, to enjoy your family members, pets, friends, and the life you've crafted. Being thankful we live in the greatest country in the best of centuries, is truly a blessing.

Thinking of those other than ourselves may be the best gift of all.

Last edited:
As Fro originally asked: "I'd like to ask others what they've discovered over the past couple of weeks that makes them appreciate life a little bit more."

As I told wife & son last night, I am remarkably sanguine about what ever happens to me. It has been a good life. If I get another 30 or so, similar to so many in my genetic history, then that's great. But to answer Fro...

You gotta live every day of your life such that you have no need to apologize later. If you do that, then you are actively appreciating life in real time. You may not get to do everything you might like to do, but if you chart your course and help those around you rather than hurt, then you are getting it done.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Love your God and love your neighbor, and the rest pretty much takes care of itself.
To some degree I understand your sentiment. But with 3 kids at home between 3 and 11, it raised the hair on my neck when all the neighbor kids got sent over to my house Friday. I sent them all home with a message to their parents - stay off my lawn.

I know it’s not fair to the kids. It’s really not fair to anyone. But it’s minimized faster if people isolate as much as they can. And, while this thing doesn’t impact kids as much, they are the most efficient little germ spreaders that exist. So keep yours away from mine.

I've learned that no matter the severity of the circumstance we have been plunged into some people will always put their political preferences and associated angers above all else. Whether it's bashing Fox, CNN, or who/whatever it's paramount that their opinion be heard and your's stifled. Sad

This is a time to embrace things beyond the superfluous, to enjoy your family members, pets, friends, and the life you've crafted. Being thankful we live in the greatest country in the best of centuries, is truly a blessing.

This is a failure that’s been a long time coming. It’s not a Republican creation or a Democrat one. Both parties have enabled it. Healthcare experts have been screaming “we’re not prepared” for decades, but nobody has listened. Government as a whole has allowed our healthcare infrastructure to deteriorate - either deciding the odds of it going south on their watch was low or (more likely) ignoring the possibility completely. And we collectively let them do it, as long as the outbreaks stayed in the third world and our dividends kept getting paid.

We all rode full steam ahead and ignored the warnings, and went head-on into the iceberg. We’re about to find out that the water is cold, we’re a long way from shore, and there be sharks in the water.

I think it’s too bad that no crisis is so dire that it can’t be politicized. Maybe that’s human nature? But the divisiveness doesn’t help us all pull together, so that we can get through this period and work toward improving our great nation.

I sit here today one week into a two month period where the government has mandated my profession to stay out of the office except for significant emergencies. Not all health care professionals are “fat cats” with loads of reserves. My income dead stops when I’m not in the office.

A number of quite serious health issues over the years have periodically eaten away most “financial cushion” for me, even as I made full physical recoveries. Those issues, plus age, also put me in at least part of the high risk group.

My perspective is just to soldier on as long as I am able. I actively looking into avenues that will help to get things going again at the office, when given the green light by the powers that be.

ABSOLUTELY NOT asking for sympathy, or anything. Just trying to get across that all of us are riding the same wave. Some have boats that will allow a safer, or more comfortable journey. But we are all in this together. Society needs us to pull together and support each other. Not point fingers and further divide.

Just my opinion.

To some degree I understand your sentiment. But with 3 kids at home between 3 and 11, it raised the hair on my neck when all the neighbor kids got sent over to my house Friday. I sent them all home with a message to their parents - stay off my lawn.

I know it’s not fair to the kids. It’s really not fair to anyone. But it’s minimized faster if people isolate as much as they can. And, while this thing doesn’t impact kids as much, they are the most efficient little germ spreaders that exist. So keep yours away from mine.

Went on a little hike yesterday with my wife, daughter and her friend. We split ourselves up in pairs and kept about 100 yards apart. There was a group of about 20 people mainly moms and kids out walking together. Was kind of surprised by that.

There is a serious lack of discipline in our society. No savings, kids get whatever they want, no compliance with government directives. It’s not just some drunk college students wanting to party.

Reactions: grahamcoug
I think it’s too bad that no crisis is so dire that it can’t be politicized. Maybe that’s human nature? But the divisiveness doesn’t help us all pull together, so that we can get through this period and work toward improving our great nation.

I sit here today one week into a two month period where the government has mandated my profession to stay out of the office except for significant emergencies. Not all health care professionals are “fat cats” with loads of reserves. My income dead stops when I’m not in the office.

A number of quite serious health issues over the years have periodically eaten away most “financial cushion” for me, even as I made full physical recoveries. Those issues, plus age, also put me in at least part of the high risk group.

My perspective is just to soldier on as long as I am able. I actively looking into avenues that will help to get things going again at the office, when given the green light by the powers that be.

ABSOLUTELY NOT asking for sympathy, or anything. Just trying to get across that all of us are riding the same wave. Some have boats that will allow a safer, or more comfortable journey. But we are all in this together. Society needs us to pull together and support each other. Not point fingers and further divide.

Just my opinion.

Prayers sent up my brother, for you and all.

Funny you make a Titanic reference. Had the Titanic rammed the iceberg head on at full speed, she would have been damaged but fine. It was the attempt to miss the iceberg which led to the tragic outcome.

This is a failure that’s been a long time coming. It’s not a Republican creation or a Democrat one. Both parties have enabled it. Healthcare experts have been screaming “we’re not prepared” for decades, but nobody has listened. Government as a whole has allowed our healthcare infrastructure to deteriorate - either deciding the odds of it going south on their watch was low or (more likely) ignoring the possibility completely. And we collectively let them do it, as long as the outbreaks stayed in the third world and our dividends kept getting paid.

We all rode full steam ahead and ignored the warnings, and went head-on into the iceberg. We’re about to find out that the water is cold, we’re a long way from shore, and there be sharks in the water.

I’m just going to point out that advocates always want more for their particular cause. It’s their job. If the entire GDP had been invested in healthcare, people would say it’s not enough.

The US is in pretty good shape for dealing with a global pandemic. If you think Italy is bad, wait for Brazil and Mexico.

Funny you make a Titanic reference. Had the Titanic rammed the iceberg head on at full speed, she would have been damaged but fine. It was the attempt to miss the iceberg which led to the tragic outcome.

Economists in general and law and economics people in particular will be studying this for a long time.

explain- does hitting the iceberg head on mean everyone going about their business for the most part and letting the virus thin the herd?

Just my opinion.
Thanks for sharing Was. Some say tough times build character. I believe these times reveal it. God Bless and may his grace shine on all of us.

Met

Reactions: kougkurt

Just my opinion.

Stay strong. Keep in touch with those who are positive influences in your life. We are all pulling for you brother.

Wasn’t really trying to make a Titanic reference, but it certainly looks like one. Except for the sharks. I was actually thinking of the Indianapolis (or the Juneau) on that one.
Yeah, trying to “port round” it was the final nail. Going head-on probably would have been better...and maybe would have put out the supposed fire.

I've learned that I have a very deep hatred for our political machine, the press, and their machinations of fear and terror. While I do believe that the threat we face is very real and imminent, those in power and with voices are using that to manipulate and scare people for their own gain. I deign to think about what this nation would be like should we ever experience another 9-11 - Pelosi on her soap box blaming Trump for whatever he did or didn't do to prevent it, Trump doing his idiotic Trump things (calling terrorists dumb?), etc. Both parties sneaking bullshit riders into necessary legislation that is needed immediately to help the nation. I'm fcking literally sick with disgust when I see what this country has become.

We are in the ground zero state of WA and the Home Depot and Lowes were packed to the gills, the parks and hiking trails were at capacity, the asshole beach goers, and on and on... we are a nation of selfish, short sighted sycophants and honestly, get whatever we deserve, which if all continues as it appears to be, would be a culling. Maybe when everyone's gma and papa are dead people will wake the fck up...

Be safe, be well, do your part, and if you need help please ask.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT