ADVERTISEMENT

This weekend's games...

95coug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
For those who prefer to read something new, instead of revisiting (yet again) the common topics that somehow emerged on threads below, here are this weekend's games and how (I think) people should root:

CU @ WSU. Duh.

USC @ Oregon - Either way, this one eliminates competition for a better bowl (loser is probably out of contention for the Alamo, maybe Holiday too). A win by the Trojans knocks the ducks out of the 2nd place tie with us in the north. And, it's always nice to see the ducks lose. (Additional point - looking ahead a week it's far more likely that SC will lose to UCLA than UO to OSU.)

UW @ OSU - Beavers all the way. For one thing, I can't think of a scenario when a Coug fan should root for UW. But also, a loss eliminates the Huskies from bowl contention and takes away some motivation for the AC. Otherwise, this doesn't really affect the standings in a way that matters to us.

UCLA @ Utah - I lean toward UCLA. A win by the Bruins keeps them in the hunt for the south title. UCLA wins it if they beat Utah and USC...and I'd rather the south was won by someone who lost to us than by someone we didn't play. Besides, Utah is probably eliminated from the Alamo with a loss. Since UCLA was there last year, I think they're less likely to get picked ahead of us.

UA @ ASU - This doesn't directly impact much. We beat both, and neither is in contention for the division. I lean very slightly toward UA, because they're already bowl eligible. ASU needs another win to get bowl eligible, and I don't think I see them getting a win at Cal, so if they lose to UA they stay home (which I think is the best place for Graham). Then again, if ASU gets bowl eligible, then we can claim another win against a bowl team.

Cal @ Stanford - Stanford. Both beat us, so we don't gain either way. But we get picked ahead of a 7-5 or 6-6 Cal team. An 8-4 Cal team that beat us and finished on a hot streak might pull ahead.

Just my thoughts.

For those who prefer to read something new, instead of revisiting (yet again) the common topics that somehow emerged on threads below, here are this weekend's games and how (I think) people should root:

CU @ WSU. Duh.

USC @ Oregon - Either way, this one eliminates competition for a better bowl (loser is probably out of contention for the Alamo, maybe Holiday too). A win by the Trojans knocks the ducks out of the 2nd place tie with us in the north. And, it's always nice to see the ducks lose. (Additional point - looking ahead a week it's far more likely that SC will lose to UCLA than UO to OSU.)

UW @ OSU - Beavers all the way. For one thing, I can't think of a scenario when a Coug fan should root for UW. But also, a loss eliminates the Huskies from bowl contention and takes away some motivation for the AC. Otherwise, this doesn't really affect the standings in a way that matters to us.

UCLA @ Utah - I lean toward UCLA. A win by the Bruins keeps them in the hunt for the south title. UCLA wins it if they beat Utah and USC...and I'd rather the south was won by someone who lost to us than by someone we didn't play. Besides, Utah is probably eliminated from the Alamo with a loss. Since UCLA was there last year, I think they're less likely to get picked ahead of us.

UA @ ASU - This doesn't directly impact much. We beat both, and neither is in contention for the division. I lean very slightly toward UA, because they're already bowl eligible. ASU needs another win to get bowl eligible, and I don't think I see them getting a win at Cal, so if they lose to UA they stay home (which I think is the best place for Graham). Then again, if ASU gets bowl eligible, then we can claim another win against a bowl team.

Cal @ Stanford - Stanford. Both beat us, so we don't gain either way. But we get picked ahead of a 7-5 or 6-6 Cal team. An 8-4 Cal team that beat us and finished on a hot streak might pull ahead.

Just my thoughts.

You lost me at CU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT