ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts....

Absolutely the right call. The extra point (or 2) wasn’t going to help us. There were 2 seconds left, so getting into FG position was impossible. It was either a Hail Mary miracle TD for them or nothing. Snapping the ball for the PAT would have given them another play to win the game, so we eliminated that possibility.

Reactions: BiggsCoug and taf88
Yep. Smart. Although I never would have thought CML would milk the clock... EVER. Which is what he basically did, albeit for 2 seconds.

I have never seen a team take a knee on the extra point.
Brilliant or
Scared
It was smart. I was yelling for them to do it. Not enough time to return a kick and kick a FG, and had OSU got a turnover to the house on the 2 pt conversion they would have won. Couple things. 1. Didn’t think Leach would think of it since end of game management isn’t his strong suit. 2. WTF was Reynard Bell doing? He obviously thought the clock ran on the try...thought for sure they were going to smother the squib, take a knee, and kick a 55 yard FG.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Kind of reminded me of that game where Basler deliberately ran out of the endzone for a safety rather than punt.

Yep. Especially when we returned one for 2 against Cal. I cant recall the last time I've seen that.

It was smart. I was yelling for them to do it. Not enough time to return a kick and kick a FG, and had OSU got a turnover to the house on the 2 pt conversion they would have won. Couple things. 1. Didn’t think Leach would think of it since end of game management isn’t his strong suit. 2. WTF was Reynard Bell doing? He obviously thought the clock ran on the try...thought for sure they were going to smother the squib, take a knee, and kick a 55 yard FG.

He was excited. I get it. But the lack of awareness/savvy/moxy is bad. You cant do that.

He was excited. I get it. But the lack of awareness/savvy/moxy is bad. You cant do that.
Just goes to show you, as much as you can get everyone on the field on the same plan, they might still have different things happening in their head. Crazy a D1 player doesn’t realize the clock doesn’t move on a PAT.

Another first in sports though. I doubt there’s EVER been a player that’s received a celebration penalty on a failed PAT

Absolutely the right call. The extra point (or 2) wasn’t going to help us. There were 2 seconds left, so getting into FG position was impossible. It was either a Hail Mary miracle TD for them or nothing. Snapping the ball for the PAT would have given them another play to win the game, so we eliminated that possibility.

I agree that it was the right call, although I am not sure it is impossible to get a FG off. A half or game cannot end on a defensive penalty and the offensive is granted an untimed down if there is a penalty. So if the KO return team is deemed to be the offense, a return that ends with a face mask penalty would give the return team that additional untimed play. A good return with an additional 15 yard penalty could get the return team in FG range. I am just not sure that the return team is deemed to be "offensive", but I believe it to be so.

I think Smith's decision to go for it on 4th down is a huge compliment to the Cougar offense. He knows how good the Cougar offense is and he was hoping to end the game right there. An extra 20-30 yards is often nothing for this Cougar team to overcome.

Yeah they said he must have thought it was ballgame.

In any event, the NCAA is just gross. One of the most hypocritical, sanctimonious organizations in sports... they're against players getting paid until they sense the tide turning, and all of a sudden they're for it. They're like sycophants, and unfortunately they draw the line at players celebrating bowl-qualifying wins. That's just a bridge too far for a righteous organization like the NCAA.

Reactions: Coug90
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT