ADVERTISEMENT

Tinae to UW, Alexander crystalled to ASU

Disagree with your premise, Mr. Biggs.

When the new IPF goes online in the next 12 months or so, those facilities (Stadium, FOB and IPF) will match up well with any program West of the Continental Divide.

It's not going online in the next 12 months or so.

Disagree with your premise, Mr. Biggs.

When the new IPF goes online in the next 12 months or so, those facilities (Stadium, FOB and IPF) will match up well with any program West of the Continental Divide.

How does a stadium that seats 30,000 match stadiums that seat 50,000 ~ 100,000???

JMO, but I think you have to have a natty to be considered a blue blood. Having a natty doesn't necessarily mean you're in that category (Georgia Tech, uw).
I also think winning a majority of those 27 bowl games should be considered when contemplating UO as a blue blood program. I'll concede they've been a very good program the past couple of decades. That's why beating them 4 out of the last 5 times (should've been 5 out of 5!!!) has been extra sweet.

Glad Cougar

How does a stadium that seats 30,000 match stadiums that seat 50,000 ~ 100,000???

It looks less ridiculous when 90% full than if 50% full, and doesn't cost $250 million in incremental spend that WSU doesn't have. Those are a couple of ways. This 55,000-seat stadium in Pullman thing was and is ridiculous. I'm in favor of some things done that make the stadium look more impressive optically without adding a bunch of capacity that simply never would be used, like another set of suites on top of the North side -- subject to all of the logistical and engineering issues that presents, which I understand to be challenging but able to be overcome -- and maybe some layer of additional seating on the east side to give more of a sense of closing out that side.

It looks less ridiculous when 90% full than if 50% full, and doesn't cost $250 million in incremental spend that WSU doesn't have. Those are a couple of ways. This 55,000-seat stadium in Pullman thing was and is ridiculous. I'm in favor of some things done that make the stadium look more impressive optically without adding a bunch of capacity that simply never would be used, like another set of suites on top of the North side -- subject to all of the logistical and engineering issues that presents, which I understand to be challenging but able to be overcome -- and maybe some layer of additional seating on the east side to give more of a sense of closing out that side.

Totally agree. Martin Stadium looks fantastic now. Gone are the days of a glorified high school stadium. We don't have the best facilities, but they aren't embarrassing and they won't look embarrassing in 10 years either.

Totally agree. Martin Stadium looks fantastic now. Gone are the days of a glorified high school stadium. We don't have the best facilities, but they aren't embarrassing and they won't look embarrassing in 10 years either.

Actually, while listening to sports talk radio in Texas this year Martin Stadium was compared to high school stadiums.

Agree. But there are stadiums in Texas that will give it a run for their money.

Not really......here is a recent article about the bucket list football stadiums in Texas: ARTICLE

Basically, the biggest stadium in Texas is 19,400 seats. So, saying it's the same as Martin Stadium is saying that Martin Stadium is basically the same as Autzen.

Not shown in that article but relevant:

Legacy Stadium (12,000 seats) in Katy is amazing, but at $70 million for the entire facility.....it's about the same as our FOB. It's an incredible high school facility though. McKinney ISD Stadium is also pretty amazing for a high school facility but at 12,000 seats......it might be a touch smaller than Martin Stadium and not as nice. Those are the two nicest, newest stadiums in the state. So, any article that says that Martin Stadium is a Texas high school stadium is full of crap.

Not really......here is a recent article about the bucket list football stadiums in Texas: ARTICLE

Basically, the biggest stadium in Texas is 19,400 seats. So, saying it's the same as Martin Stadium is saying that Martin Stadium is basically the same as Autzen.

Not shown in that article but relevant:

Legacy Stadium (12,000 seats) in Katy is amazing, but at $70 million for the entire facility.....it's about the same as our FOB. It's an incredible high school facility though. McKinney ISD Stadium is also pretty amazing for a high school facility but at 12,000 seats......it might be a touch smaller than Martin Stadium and not as nice. Those are the two nicest, newest stadiums in the state. So, any article that says that Martin Stadium is a Texas high school stadium is full of crap.
Not disagreeing with you but Texas building costs are about as cheap as anywhere. Washington’s are on the other end of the spectrum.

Not disagreeing with you but Texas building costs are about as cheap as anywhere. Washington’s are on the other end of the spectrum.

I agree that Washington is a more expensive place to build, but comparing 12,000 to 19,000 seat stadiums in Texas to 33,000 seat Martin Stadium is just dumb. As I said above, saying that even the biggest high school stadium in Texas is equivalent to Martin Stadium is like saying that Martin Stadium is equivalent to a 56,000 seat stadium. I'd love to see us get the stadium up to around 45,000 seats, but at the same time, it doesn't feel like that's ever going to be a thing. We have a great facility that's been significantly improved in the past 10 years. It could be better, but I've been in stadiums that were far worse.

I I'd love to see us get the stadium up to around 45,000 seats, but at the same time, it doesn't feel like that's ever going to be a thing.

Let's see where things stand once this pandemic subsides.

Who knows where WSU's enrollment and the Spokane/Pullman metro population will be 5 years or so?

Once the New IPF is online, Martin Stadium expansion is the final step to completion of the football facilities upgrades.

Last edited:
Let's see where things stand once this pandemic subsides.

Who knows where WSU's enrollment and the Spokane/Pullman metro population will be 5 years or so?

Once the New IPF is online, Martin Stadium expansion is the final step to completion of the football facilities upgrades.

By the time that all actually gets done, it will be time to start all over again.

Just read an ad for an assistant coach on footballscoop.... Sherman HS, no idea where it is in Texas, is opening a new school.... $152,000,000 for the school, 5,000 square foot weight room, 80 yard indoor field.

The building costs dont matter. They will spend whatever it takes to get what they want. The level of commitment and “want to” there is at a completely different level than the PNW.

Just read an ad for an assistant coach on footballscoop.... Sherman HS, no idea where it is in Texas, is opening a new school.... $152,000,000 for the school, 5,000 square foot weight room, 80 yard indoor field.

The building costs dont matter. They will spend whatever it takes to get what they want. The level of commitment and “want to” there is at a completely different level than the rest of the United States.
Fixed it.

The building costs dont matter. They will spend whatever it takes to get what they want. The level of commitment and “want to” there is at a completely different level than the PNW.
I’d be curious to how many students that will house? It’s about $80-$100m to build a HS school in the Spokane area for 1500-2000 kids with pretty nice facilities. I think Mead is spending $30m on a stadium for their two HSs to share. Holds about 6K I believe.

Turned down the in state school that’s a run n shoot team.

I wouldnt wast
I’d be curious to how many students that will house? It’s about $80-$100m to build a HS school in the Spokane area for 1500-2000 kids with pretty nice facilities. I think Mead is spending $30m on a stadium for their two HSs to share. Holds about 6K I believe.

The info I found said 1,884 students. It is a 5A school.

For perspective, 6A starts at about 2200 and goes to 6500. In Texas they have two playoff brackets per classification in football. The top 4 teams from the region advance to bracket play. The two schools with the largest enrollment go to one bracket. The two with the smallest enrollment go to another. That’s how they try to keep the big boys together.

The facilities built for schools in Texas are sprawling. There will prob be 2-4 stadiums, lots of practice fields, buildings all over... The state is committed to funding extracurricular programs so kids have tons of things to be involved with if they want.

The new Ridgline HS was estimated at $99 million in 2018, 1600 students same facilities more or less as CV and U-Hi.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT