ADVERTISEMENT

Tough question

kougkurt

Hall Of Fame
Nov 19, 2011
Tyler Hillinski’s brother Bo is one of the top QB recruits next year. Obviously the Cougs offered early. Does his brothers unfortunate fate make him more or less likely to be a Coug.

I see this from both sides. There may be some unfinished business he wants to take care of in Pullman. Or way too many Deamons

Tyler Hillinski’s brother Bo is one of the top QB recruits next year. Obviously the Cougs offered early. Does his brothers unfortunate fate make him more or less likely to be a Coug.

I see this from both sides. There may be some unfinished business he wants to take care of in Pullman. Or way too many Deamons

He did commit to the Cougars before his brother took his own life. It is something that I have thought of myself. However, it was not something that I planned or will talk about on the board. We will know in time.

He did commit to the Cougars before his brother took his own life. It is something that I have thought of myself. However, it was not something that I planned or will talk about on the board. We will know in time.

When did he commit to WSU?

When did he commit to WSU?

I don't know the exact date Ryan committed, as I was more concerned with thinking about Tyler at the time. But, I read two separate articles regarding Tyler's suicide that said that Ryan had recently committed to the Cougars. In both articles, it was after quoting Ryan and following it up with stating that he had committed to the Cougars.

The first one was USA Today or some national publication like that. I just kind of thought I had not heard that. I wonder if it is true? Then, when I read it again, I figured it must be true.

This is one of those things that will play out over time, and that is probably the best way for it to occur. Hasty decisions are often poor ones, and Ryan needs to think about this one. Having said that, we probably are an emotional favorite, and also possibly a technical favorite, since you know that Ryan has followed the system closely over the past few years.

I can only guess, but the comfort level with Pullman may still be surprisingly good, given the circumstances.

I don't know the exact date Ryan committed, as I was more concerned with thinking about Tyler at the time. But, I read two separate articles regarding Tyler's suicide that said that Ryan had recently committed to the Cougars. In both articles, it was after quoting Ryan and following it up with stating that he had committed to the Cougars.

The first one was USA Today or some national publication like that. I just kind of thought I had not heard that. I wonder if it is true? Then, when I read it again, I figured it must be true.
His profile on the recruit database doesn’t show him committed to anyone as of yet.

Reactions: Cougzz
I would hold no ill will toward him regardless of his choice. He truly deserves to do what is best for himself.

I would hope others follow the same stance. The family deserves the utmost respect, dignity and honor in all aspects without question.

Can you provide a link? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I really don't think he ever committed to WSU.

A QB commit is always big news and would have been all over the major services.

And I went back through his Twitter feed and there's nothing about it, and he tweets a ton of stuff about recruiting.

Reactions: Cougzz
I know it’s a tough question and I debated starting it. But no, he was never committed to WSU.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Can you provide a link? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I really don't think he ever committed to WSU.

A QB commit is always big news and would have been all over the major services.

And I went back through his Twitter feed and there's nothing about it, and he tweets a ton of stuff about recruiting.

No I can't. As I wrote, it was not important to me at the time and the story was about Tyler, not Ryan. In the future, it will come out on whether he was/is/had been committed. Whether you, me or anyone else wants to believe it or not is kind of irrelevant. Not trying to be argumentative. Also, the circumstances regarding this entire situation is different.

I know it’s a tough question and I debated starting it. But no, he was never committed to WSU.
You don't know this. None of us really do. Also, I'm out of this thread, as this is a subject I really do not want to be a part of and I am mad at myself that I have posted this much.

Last edited:

Let's get something straight. There's no Demons about it. I HATE that word when describing suicide. The suicide had nothing to do with good vs evil.

Let's get something straight. There's no Demons about it. I HATE that word when describing suicide. The suicide had nothing to do with good vs evil. When people hear the word Demon...they grow scared.....scared enough not to help someone.

Let's get something straight. There's no Demons about it. I HATE that word when describing suicide. The suicide had nothing to do with good vs evil.
fro, I respectfully disagree. And this isn't coming as some slap down or anything. But coming from someone that battles depression every day, there are demons. No doubt about it. And the thoughts that can run through someones head during a bad bout... evil. That's the only thing that can get me through it sometimes. It's evil and I don't want to be that.

So please don't judge. It's very much a personal thing. You may not like the phrase or adjective but be OK that others are good with it.

Ryan hasn't committed to WSU, at least not in any way that's been made public. I follow all the sources/outlets more than I probably should, and there has been no such news. He may be a "silent commit," deferring announcement of it until what he views as a more appropriate time (or having told some people but requested that they keep it quiet), but it hasn't been reported by any reputable source.

As for whether it's more or less likely that he commits to WSU following recent events, that could cut either way for obvious reasons, and I don't believe there's anything to be gained by speculating. I just hope he does OK dealing with the loss of his brother and finds the best program for him at an appropriate time. If that's WSU, that would be welcome (and outstanding) news, but that's secondary right now.

I recall that he was very interested, and it was speculated that he'd follow Tyler here. I don't know that it was ever official.

Even if he was committed, signed, and had the U-haul in the driveway, I wouldn't hold it against him if he chose to go somewhere else. Being in Pullman/at WSU would no doubt provide constant reminders of his brother, and he's the only one who can say whether that would be a welcome, happy thing or if it would be constant emotional torture. Whatever he decides, our coaches, fans, administration, etc. need to accept it.

fro, I respectfully disagree. And this isn't coming as some slap down or anything. But coming from someone that battles depression every day, there are demons. No doubt about it. And the thoughts that can run through someones head during a bad bout... evil. That's the only thing that can get me through it sometimes. It's evil and I don't want to be that.

So please don't judge. It's very much a personal thing. You may not like the phrase or adjective but be OK that others are good with it.
I'm suggesting that taking it as a good vs. evil issue may not help. Outside of the medication debate there are cognitive issues that need to be managed. It's a lot "less scary" to think of it as a cognitive issue and not a "possession" issue. It's much easier for some to think of it as distorted thinking and something you can talk about with people who can help with those issues.

Ryan hasn't committed to WSU, at least not in any way that's been made public. I follow all the sources/outlets more than I probably should, and there has been no such news. He may be a "silent commit," deferring announcement of it until what he views as a more appropriate time (or having told some people but requested that they keep it quiet), but it hasn't been reported by any reputable source.

As for whether it's more or less likely that he commits to WSU following recent events, that could cut either way for obvious reasons, and I don't believe there's anything to be gained by speculating. I just hope he does OK dealing with the loss of his brother and finds the best program for him at an appropriate time. If that's WSU, that would be welcome (and outstanding) news, but that's secondary right now.

Yea, I don't want to come off as a know-it-all, but I follow recruiting pretty closely, and have never seen a thing about Hillinski committing. And I very much doubt USA Today would have that information, but not 247, Rivals or Cougcenter.

I would guess it was just misreporting by USA Today. Maybe they meant he had an offer from WSU, not that he was committed? I don't know.

Yea, I don't want to come off as a know-it-all, but I follow recruiting pretty closely, and have never seen a thing about Hillinski committing. And I very much doubt USA Today would have that information, but not 247, Rivals or Cougcenter.

I would guess it was just misreporting by USA Today. Maybe they meant he had an offer from WSU, not that he was committed? I don't know.

Yeah, I was basically taking it as well-understood that USA Today isn't a reputable source with respect to any kind of discrete, local-level fact. They're to journalism what Burger King is to fine dining. I think the only reason they're still published is due to hotels ordering in bulk.

More generally, it's a little scary how inaccurate the media can be. There are some very good journalists out there, certainly, but newspapers like USA Today trying to cover a "local" story, or the local news covering anything, really, often bears no relationship to the truth. There have been a few times I've been interviewed for a news story, or I've actually seen it happen live or otherwise was in a position to know exactly what happened, and what's reported on the news was just flat-out wrong and/or focused on irrelevant or misleading quotes / details.

You don't know this. None of us really do. Also, I'm out of this thread, as this is a subject I really do not want to be a part of and I am mad at myself that I have posted this much.

I don't understand why you're so against talking about the younger brother. He's getting a lot of recruiting attention and often mentions Tyler when tweeting about his offers.

I would be ecstatic if he came to WSU, but I will root for him no matter where he goes (even UW). I certainly don't think there's any shame in talking about him.

I don't understand why you're so against talking about the younger brother. He's getting a lot of recruiting attention and often mentions Tyler when tweeting about his offers.

I would be ecstatic if he came to WSU, but I will root for him no matter where he goes (even UW). I certainly don't think there's any shame in talking about him.

These situations are always delicate and there's no answer that fits all when it comes to discussions that involve suicide. We have a friend whose son died from a self-inflicted gun shot wound five or so years ago. I've never found a good way to discuss this with her and I felt bad posting about Tyler on Facebook because I knew that she'd see it. I understand Coug1990 not feeling comfortable with any discussions at this point.

That said, it's important that everybody moves on in their own way rather than holding on to something that we can't change. We feel the pain with his family and don't want to harm them but the reality is that Ryan needs to live his own life and succeed no matter what happened to his brother. That may or may not be at WSU. As others have said, I would love to see him come to WSU and create a great legacy that honors his brother. I wouldn't want him to come here because he feels like he should or if he can't enjoy being here because of what happened with his brother. That's for him to decide. I think it's more respectful for us to be excited at the thought of his brother being here than to think that we can't talk about it because someone might disapprove. I doubt that Tyler would want his brother to miss out on opportunities because of him.

I will support Bo 100% where ever he ends up and I will always root for him 100% of the time. The kid just needs to be happy wherever life takes him.

I'm suggesting that taking it as a good vs. evil issue may not help. Outside of the medication debate there are cognitive issues that need to be managed. It's a lot "less scary" to think of it as a cognitive issue and not a "possession" issue. It's much easier for some to think of it as distorted thinking and something you can talk about with people who can help with those issues.

I think we can agree that the term(s) he used have reached a certain generic level in every day speech. Not everyone assumes a religious connotation when hearing or reading the word demons. Same goes for good/evil.I think they are less often interpreted literally.

I was basically taking it as well-understood that USA Today isn't a reputable source with respect to any kind of discrete, local-level fact. They're to journalism what Burger King is to fine dining.

It's quite obvious, sir, that you've never enjoyed an entree of those world famous Chicken Fries.

CF-BK.jpg

Reactions: 425cougfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT