ADVERTISEMENT

Tracy Claeys "retires" from Virginia Tech

This guy keeps retiring his way down the ladder. Where does he reemerge as a graduate assistant? Kansas St?
His replacement has been named and makes $325,000 less to coach LB than Claeys did ($500k).

He might have been offered a salary "haircut" due to COVID and his responsibilities and decided to "See Ya"

Read elsewhere a few months back that Claeys tested positive for the VID (had to sit out some games during the season.) Not sure if he got it and was asymptomatic or if it was false positive.

He might have been offered a salary "haircut" due to COVID and his responsibilities and decided to "See Ya"
I think he confirms half of that with his language. He's retiring as a position coach, but would come back if he got a DC offer.

I think he confirms half of that with his language. He's retiring as a position coach, but would come back if he got a DC offer.

Why in the world would someone hire him as a DC? He quit midseason and his leadership left one side of the ball in complete chaos. Prior to coming here, his lack of leadership resulted in serious embarrassment for the University of Minnesota. Now he quits after being on a bad defensive team. It seems fairly obvious the guy has lost the fire to do the unpleasant parts of the job.

Why in the world would someone hire him as a DC? He quit midseason and his leadership left one side of the ball in complete chaos. Prior to coming here, his lack of leadership resulted in serious embarrassment for the University of Minnesota. Now he quits after being on a bad defensive team. It seems fairly obvious the guy has lost the fire to do the unpleasant parts of the job.
Agreed, I don't see any P-5 school picking him up as DC. Maybe an FCS team would, and he could climb back up with a solid performance. But it seems more likely he's done.

Agreed, I don't see any P-5 school picking him up as DC. Maybe an FCS team would, and he could climb back up with a solid performance. But it seems more likely he's done.

I wonder if being a HC has made it more difficult to do the job. Probably wasn't easy to be Leach's second in command after being the head guy at UM. And it's probably not easy to be a position coach after running the defense for so long.

I'm glad for his sake he lost so much weight. Hope he is content and I hope for his sake he finds something he's passionate about going forward.

I wonder if being a HC has made it more difficult to do the job. Probably wasn't easy to be Leach's second in command after being the head guy at UM. And it's probably not easy to be a position coach after running the defense for so long.

I'm glad for his sake he lost so much weight. Hope he is content and I hope for his sake he finds something he's passionate about going forward.
He could be positioning himself for NFL gig, the weight loss and saying he still wants to be an D1 coordinator.

The translates into position coach in NFL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT