ADVERTISEMENT

Tracy Claeys.

Official link?

Looks promising checking his bio.

Still young (49) and did a tremendous job as Minnesota;s interim coach at 9-4.

Could open up some new recruiting territory, too, in Minnesota, Illinois and Kansas.

Reactions: 425cougfan
The Minnesota connection, Phelps and Claeys. Leach was impressed by Claeys defense in the 2016 bowl game I read. Good enough to hire him. Great choice!

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Good stuff! I will miss Grinch but that's over. Claeys is a great hire to move forward. Seems to like speed a bit:

"The fastest guys we can put out there and the most of them, because it’s all about speed," Claeys said after Saturday’s spring practice. "Speed for coverage and speed for getting to the quarterback, but we can’t get seamed on the running game, so that is what we are playing around in.

"Maybe it will be two (defensive) tackles or one d-tackle and 10 others," Claeys said. "Whatever we can do to help us out."

Claeys has worked with Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, who ran an havoc-inducing, 3-4 defense with the Super Bowl champions last season.

I like it. Claeys seems to have consensus respect from UofM alumni from what I have read. At least for his defensive prowess; not so much as HC. I was unaware that he had spent time as an assistant to Wade Phillips. That experience should help. Also liked the flexible stance he has taken schematically. Quite pleased. We could not have done better.

Anybody know how he is as a recruiter?

The Fatman arrives and Pullmans restaurants are happy. Actually a great hire. The man pays attention to detail and defense needs that approach. Perhaps it will help on the recruiting trail. The man has a good reputation.

I can tell you... There needs some clarification on the sexual abuse issues Minnesota had last year. Because all I know is I used that subject as a real reason to not like Minnesota. And I really want to know the story behind Claeys handling of it. Because at the time, it sure sounded like it sucked BIG TIME. And if not just for my own little self, I know many, many alumni that are going to raise a SERIOUS eye brow on this one. Last year we were skewering them for the scandal. If half of what we ALL used last year is true, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the handling of that and then Tracy coming to Pullman... Could someone please help assuage this?

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I can tell you... There needs some clarification on the sexual abuse issues Minnesota had last year. Because all I know is I used that subject as a real reason to not like Minnesota. And I really want to know the story behind Claeys handling of it. Because at the time, it sure sounded like it sucked BIG TIME. And if not just for my own little self, I know many, many alumni that are going to raise a SERIOUS eye brow on this one. Last year we were skewering them for the scandal. If half of what we ALL used last year is true, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the handling of that and then Tracy coming to Pullman... Could someone please help assuage this?

I think he was clearly in over his head as an HC. Glad to have him as a DC because I think he will do very well, and hopefully he will be glad to stay.

Also...sounds like losing a great coach isn't the end of the world after all...

I think he was clearly in over his head as an HC. Glad to have him as a DC because I think he will do very well, and hopefully he will be glad to stay.

Also...sounds like losing a great coach isn't the end of the world after all...

I am not sure if I agree that he was in over his head. He was put in a tough situation that there were not many good options. In hindsight, he would have made different decisions. But, at the time he made the decisions based on the information he had at the time.

This is his take on the situation.

https://www.twincities.com/2017/08/...-things-i-wouldve-done-differently-certainly/

This is something that shows how well he was as a coach, "Through it all, we wound up beating Washington State in the Holiday Bowl and finished the season 9-4. That marked only the second time since 1905 that the University of Minnesota’s storied football program had won nine games or more in a season. This was a point of pride for our coaching staff.

We were also extremely proud of our student-athletes’ success in the classroom. Our Graduation Success Rate last year was the highest ever, our Academic Progress Rate was the second best in the nation among FBS public universities and our cumulative team GPA was an impressive 3.03."

I’m sure he’s a wonderful x and o coach.

He failed miserably handling the gang rape his players were involved in.

He isn’t someone I would’ve considered for the job. Or any job at WSU.

class got the thumbs down when recruited.....9 HS starters and 3 JC starters from that class. 12 starters.

Plenty of shared experience between Leach and Claeys - both got sideways with university administration (Leach at TTU and Claeys at UM). Both had player-related issues and conduct review by university standards review (Leach with Barber at WSU, Claeys with UM and the sexual assault situation).

I simply don't believe people are defined by one singular event - and if they've learned from it, saw where they could have done things differently or flat out acknowledge their F-up, what more can you want? Last time I checked, there was only one perfect human who ever walked the face of the Earth - and even that's up for debate.

Reading the article linked above, Claeys is no dummy. He clearly knows how to coach football and appears to have reflected on the circumstances that led to his dismissal from Minnesota. Not sure why he wouldn't be any more qualified for the position than anyone else - except his mistake went large and other's skeletons simply haven't seen the light of day yet.

Reactions: Cougzz and Tx64
Plenty of shared experience between Leach and Claeys - both got sideways with university administration (Leach at TTU and Claeys at UM). Both had player-related issues and conduct review by university standards review (Leach with Barber at WSU, Claeys with UM and the sexual assault situation).

I simply don't believe people are defined by one singular event - and if they've learned from it, saw where they could have done things differently or flat out acknowledge their F-up, what more can you want? Last time I checked, there was only one perfect human who ever walked the face of the Earth - and even that's up for debate.

Reading the article linked above, Claeys is no dummy. He clearly knows how to coach football and appears to have reflected on the circumstances that led to his dismissal from Minnesota. Not sure why he wouldn't be any more qualified for the position than anyone else - except his mistake went large and other's skeletons simply haven't seen the light of day yet.

I don’t believe what happened to Leach at TTU and the gang rape situation at UM are comparable at all. Ever. And I think you’re reaching to make that point.

As for skeletons in the closet, dumb.

The man should be drummed out of football the same way Art Briles has been.

Your comment about being judged by one singular event is stupid. People are judged every day by singular events in our country. Accountability needs to happen. The idea of letting someone off the hook because it only happened one time is ridiculous. The fact it happened at all is unacceptable.

Everyone singing this man’s praises should read the report of what happened and insert your wife/mother/daughter into that scenario in place of the victim. Then tell me about how great a coach he is. He may know football, he is no leader of men nor should he be entrusted to do so again.

I don’t believe what happened to Leach at TTU and the gang rape situation at UM are comparable at all. Ever. And I think you’re reaching to make that point.

Your comment about being judged by one singular event is stupid. People are judged every day by singular events in our country. Accountability needs to happen. The idea of letting someone off the hook because it only happened one time is ridiculous. The fact it happened at all is unacceptable.

Everyone singing this man’s praises should read the report of what happened and insert your wife/mother/daughter into that scenario in place of the victim. Then tell me about how great a coach he is. He may know football, he is no leader of men nor should he be entrusted to do so again.

Can you attach the report. My understanding it was about due process and five of the suspensions were never charged. I don't think he was defending rape. No one should.

Can you attach the report. My understanding it was about due process and five of the suspensions were never charged. I don't think he was defending rape. No one should.

Google is your friend.

Just because something wasn’t charged doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

This was a nightmare for this poor girl. It was a life course changing event. Those boys should’ve been run off campus. Let the lawyers sue.

He suspended the 5 original players involved right after the incident and after the prosecution denied to file charges the school reinstated them. Then the school did their own investigation and re-suspended them plus 5 other players. His mistake was the tweet backing his team on boycotting the bowl game, which he owned. I don't think he failed at all with handling it, he suspended them and then when they were clear of charges the school reinstated them. The five additional players that were suspended for the bowl game were reinstated after the bowl game last year and played this year.

The whole situation sounded like it was handled poorly, the school being one of them.

He suspended the 5 original players involved right after the incident and after the prosecution denied to file charges the school reinstated them. Then the school did their own investigation and re-suspended them plus 5 other players. His mistake was the tweet backing his team on boycotting the bowl game, which he owned. I don't think he failed at all with handling it, he suspended them and then when they were clear of charges the school reinstated them. The five additional players that were suspended for the bowl game were reinstated after the bowl game last year and played this year.

The whole situation sounded like it was handled poorly, the school being one of them.

That is what I thought.

It was handled poorly. Including the young men that MANUFACTURED this scenario for this young woman.

Police charges or not, this is not behavior acceptable for society. The players should've been dismissed from campus because they are predators.

His mistake was not only tweeting but not kicking them off the team right then and there. Tell his team this behavior will not be tolerated at any cost. If they want to file a suit and stand in front of a jury to explain how an uncounted number of men took a turn with this woman, let them. If the coach gets fired because he kicked sexual predators off his football team, fine.

You don't let people like this on your campus.

The recently extended and well compensated head football coach who is supposedly qualified to make such evaluations apparently doesn't agree.

The recently extended and well compensated head football coach who is supposedly qualified to make such evaluations apparently doesn't agree.

Thank you Sherlock.

And I don't agree with him. In fact, Im sure there will be many others that don't agree with him as well. I also don't agree with how many times his offense runs the ball.

Tell me Sherlock, are you as curious as I am to see how this hire plays out in the Seattle media? How is this going to play out in living rooms when coaches from opposing schools get on the phone with mothers? What questions do you want to answer and avoid if you're being interviewed by a recruits parents?

There is no shortage of good football coaches out there to hire. There is no reason to hire this man and the baggage he brings with him.

Thank you Sherlock.

And I don't agree with him. In fact, Im sure there will be many others that don't agree with him as well. I also don't agree with how many times his offense runs the ball.

Tell me Sherlock, are you as curious as I am to see how this hire plays out in the Seattle media? How is this going to play out in living rooms when coaches from opposing schools get on the phone with mothers? What questions do you want to answer and avoid if you're being interviewed by a recruits parents?

There is no shortage of good football coaches out there to hire. There is no reason to hire this man and the baggage he brings with him.

No. That is Coach Leach's problem. He doesn't run his football program based on what the Seattle media says.

Ah man facts can get in the way of drama.

Maybe P.J. Fleck should be "drummed out of football" for playing the 5 players this season.

Really love how even though people do not even know the specific facts of situation , but that does not stop them from making over the top actuations.

Reactions: SDCoug and Tx64
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT