ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA Dirtiest team I've seen

Brent H.

Hall Of Fame
Aug 13, 2001
F Mora. They threw cheap shots all game and how that kid wasn't tossed for targeting is beyond me. Karma. Luke is clutch and this team is clutch. You try and knock out QB out with cheap shots? FU man, Mora. Take that L and go whine about the officiating because that's what losers do. Winners make plays, like us.

The missed targetting was dirty. It was clear the UCLA player was trying to take Falk out of the game. The sideline shot after the play was telling. Targetting happens but this was different and I expect the Pac 12 to suspend him for at least a game.

It was disappointing to see UCLA players trying to re-injure Falk. I hope Leach sends a video to the Pac-12 of the missed cheap-shot. It would be terrific to see UCLA get punked with a targeting call in the next game just out of general principle.

The missed targetting was dirty. It was clear the UCLA player was trying to take Falk out of the game. The sideline shot after the play was telling. Targetting happens but this was different and I expect the Pac 12 to suspend him for at least a game.

There is no doubt in my mind that the UCLA coaches told their players to put a beating on Falk. There were a couple of plays like the two body slams and the targeting play that were clear examples of that. There were more, but those stood out.

UCLA was the most physical defense the Cougars have played all season. Marks and Dom both got hit hard a few times.

Priester got lit up as well on a little screen pass he dropped and was on a knee. Border line penalty.

There is no doubt in my mind that the UCLA coaches told their players to put a beating on Falk. There were a couple of plays like the two body slams and the targeting play that were clear examples of that. There were more, but those stood out.

UCLA was the most physical defense the Cougars have played all season. Marks and Dom both got hit hard a few times.
Agree. That was one very physical game. I was proud of our guys and how they just kept coming at UCLA. Especially Falk. That guy is so tough. It was great how even when they knocked him out of the game for awhile, Bender came in and delivered a perfect fade pass for a TD. That was huge.
UCLA was out to beat up our guys. I understand it's a physical game, but it looked like they wanted to take Luke out.
Great win. So impressive. Our guys just find a way. If I were an opposing fan and my team had a lead with a minute to go and we had 99 yards to go for a TD, I wouldn't feel confident at all my team will win.

The targeting play was cheap, but that was a hard hitting game. They were definitely trying to rock Falk, but the blood in the water mentality in defense isn't unique to them.

Frankly, I think their over aggressive play was one of the reasons the calls went mostly our way night night.

The targeting play was cheap, but that was a hard hitting game. They were definitely trying to rock Falk, but the blood in the water mentality in defense isn't unique to them.

Frankly, I think their over aggressive play was one of the reasons the calls went mostly our way night night.

UCLA simply beat the crap out of our offense tonight -- but we kept getting up to answer the bell, which shows we are tough as nails. As for dirty? Let's not forget "discouragement" is a key, if not the most important part of the game. We would have loved to taken Rosen and body slammed him into the ground as few time, if we could have, Unfortunately, we aren't very good at it. With the exception of Shalom, we play a soft, finesse brand of football. That isn't going to change on offense. However, on defense we need to sign more kids with a mean streek. It is no coincidence that the two best defenses in school history, 1983 and 1994, had several players who enjoyed laying some wood.

When did the sideline shot happen? I saw Luke getting thrown around a bit, but I never got the "dirty" impression.

If nothing else, somebody can throw together a highlight reel of UCLA players cheap-shotting our players. It's one thing to hit hard and try to discourage your opponent; it's another thing to target, to hit players late, to hit guys when they're down or on a knee, etc. Throw together that cheapshot lowlight video and just show it to UCLA fans complaining about the officiating.

The cougs ,by no means,played a 'soft ,finesses,type of football. These two teams did not like each other and it showed throughout the game.It was a beautiful win,in over the lions and the roaring fans.,so to speak.I wonder how many fans were coug fans?

Reactions: earldacoug
UCLA simply beat the crap out of our offense tonight -- but we kept getting up to answer the bell, which shows we are tough as nails. As for dirty? Let's not forget "discouragement" is a key, if not the most important part of the game. We would have loved to taken Rosen and body slammed him into the ground as few time, if we could have, Unfortunately, we aren't very good at it. With the exception of Shalom, we play a soft, finesse brand of football. That isn't going to change on offense. However, on defense we need to sign more kids with a mean streek. It is no coincidence that the two best defenses in school history, 1983 and 1994, had several players who enjoyed laying some wood.

I see why you'd say that, but I think our LBs (especially Pelluer) might take issue with being told they play a soft, finesse brand of football. Also, as you said, I think some of our DL would have loved to beat the crap out of Rosen if given the opportunity. UCLA's OL is really good, especially when the refs allow them to grab a defender's jersey every time they're beaten on a pass rush. I saw that happening all night.

Reactions: earldacoug
I see why you'd say that, but I think our LBs (especially Pelluer) might take issue with being told they play a soft, finesse brand of football. Also, as you said, I think some of our DL would have loved to beat the crap out of Rosen if given the opportunity. UCLA's OL is really good, especially when the refs allow them to grab a defender's jersey every time they're beaten on a pass rush. I saw that happening all night.

Again, I have to wonder if we are using the "Hawk Tackle" method. It sure looks like it but we'd have no way of knowing without Grinch saying so.

When did the sideline shot happen? I saw Luke getting thrown around a bit, but I never got the "dirty" impression.
Right after they cutaway from the replay they go to a sideline shot of Goodman (21) talking to other players. One of the coaches (older guy in a hoodie, might not be a coach) slaps Goodman on the helmet and is saying something to him. Definitely possible I am reading too much into it but would love if someone could read his lips.

I don't blame the officials for not calling it because it didn't look like he contacted him in real time and you can't review a penalty. I expect the Conference to take action and suspend him for 2 games. You can't have players trying to intentionally take out other players especially a QB that was literally on his back. Clark making a play and slamming Falk into the ground is one thing but the attempt by Goodman was about as dirty as it gets. He was clearing going for his head.

This 3 game stretch was always going to be a physical one in my book and I'm not surprised how physical UCLA plays. They have talent and Mora is a physical coach. I don't have a probelm with that at all. As someone said, the Priester hit was questionable but the officials waited a long time to blow the play dead. It's the head hunting, the clear attempt to take our guy out of the game that I have a problem with in that game.

Physical is nothing new. We bitched about it a few years ago, now the shoe is on the other foot. Bottom line, if the officials refuse to call it, it will happen. And the PAC's reputation hinges on fixing the officiating incompetence. Hard to see that happening any time soon, based on what is happening now, but maybe there is room for hope. But probably not.

The cougs ,by no means,played a 'soft ,finesses,type of football. These two teams did not like each other and it showed throughout the game.It was a beautiful win,in over the lions and the roaring fans.,so to speak.I wonder how many fans were coug fans?

On offense, we spead the field, our OL plays from the widest splits in the game, from a two points stance, our is goal is to get the pass out quick, and no team in the NCAA runs the ball less. We are the most finesse team in the game, on offense. Like it or not, we are the anti-Arkansas. We need to own it, not deny the obvious. No team on offense trys to avoid head to head power football more than us. And it is working.

On defense, Grinch is clearly not trying to play finesse. It is an attacking style. But who, besides Shalom, brings it? Yes, we are much improved, but we are a wrap up tackling team. We don't physically dominate anyone. We are #11 against the run, and 11th in sacks and allow 32 pts per game even though we are a possession offense.

"Don't like each other," -- they haven't even played each other since 2012, and few, if any, kids who played the last time suited up for this one. They tried to bully us, we stood up to the bully, but we aren't a physical bully ourselves. Let's be honest.

On offense, we spead the field, our OL plays from the widest splits in the game, from a two points stance, our is goal is to get the pass out quick, and no team in the NCAA runs the ball less. We are the most finesse team in the game, on offense. Like it or not, we are the anti-Arkansas. We need to own it, not deny the obvious. No team on offense trys to avoid head to head power football more than us. And it is working.

On defense, Grinch is clearly not trying to play finesse. It is an attacking style. But who, besides Shalom, brings it? Yes, we are much improved, but we are a wrap up tackling team. We don't physically dominate anyone. We are #11 against the run, and 11th in sacks and allow 32 pts per game even though we are a possession offense.

"Don't like each other," -- they haven't even played each other since 2012, and few, if any, kids who played the last time suited up for this one. They tried to bully us, we stood up to the bully, but we aren't a physical bully ourselves. Let's be honest.

I would like you to tell Coach Salave'a that his lineman are not physical. They are. The linebackers are physical.

Running offenses are considered physical because blocking is going forward to engage the defense. Pass offense is considered finesse because they step back and let the defensive lineman engage them. Within the game within a game, the backs and WR's are physical when they are blocking for their teammates or they do not see the field. So yes, the offense itself is finesse, but how they go about playing is not.

I would like you to tell Coach Salave'a that his lineman are not physical. They are. The linebackers are physical.

Running offenses are considered physical because blocking is going forward to engage the defense. Pass offense is considered finesse because they step back and let the defensive lineman engage them. Within the game within a game, the backs and WR's are physical when they are blocking for their teammates or they do not see the field. So yes, the offense itself is finesse, but how they go about playing is not.

Yep, 11th in sacks, 10th against the run, we are every bit as physical as Utah, USC, Washington and UCLA. God man, we are giving up 80 more yards a game rushing than last year. It is okay to be Intellectually honest, occassionally. Would anyone but a Cougar fan describe us as a physical, beat you down, team on offense or defense? We are improved because of the additional numbers and speed the secondary has limited the big play and wide open receivers. We have successfully made teams drive the length of the field. The fact is our run defense gives up 5.7 yards per attempt, compared to 4.1 last year. Calling any defense that gives up nearly 6 yard per run, physical, is laughable. The 1994 defense game gave up less than 2 yards per attempt, that's physical.

A team cannot win without being physical The cougs do not have physical dominating players but they have an attacking defense . I cannot remember but it seems to me that it was an Oregon player who said that the cougs last year played harder and tougher than anyone else.The play intensifies in the red zone. The defense has been improving every game and they are certainly not being run over in the red zone.It is more laughable to say a team which wins the majority of its games is not physical.The defense is a young defense which has improved every game and the most telling defensive stat is points allowed.

We have a very physical defense that lacks a little bit in the size department and still has a ways to go in fundamentals/technique. Being physical is at the bottom of the list of things to improve upon right now.

If anything, some of our guys try to be too physical to a fault.

The 1994 defense game gave up less than 2 yards per attempt, that's physical.

No, that's a combination of incredible talent, experience, size, strength, speed, coaching and toughness(physicality). Saying that the Posse was as incredibly effective(statistically) mainly(only?) because of their physicality is a really weak argument.

The Seahawks are still one of, if not the, most physical teams in the NFL and they suck right now. Technique is bad, there are holes at positions. Simply being physical doesn't make a defense great, though it is an attribute of every great defense.

If you watch our games this year, you see a fairly physical defense out there. They have speed and toughness and the aggressiveness that gives us some hope for having a really good unit over the next few years. They just aren't big enough or skilled enough yet. Only Utah, Cal and SC have created more TO's so far this year which is a big sign of both the talent and their physicality.

Generally, I defend officials because I think their job is far more difficult than anyone gives them credit for. That said, that hit on Falk was just a softball for an official at any level. With the emphasis on head injuries, that was just, flat out, an official not doing his job.

Yep, 11th in sacks, 10th against the run, we are every bit as physical as Utah, USC, Washington and UCLA. God man, we are giving up 80 more yards a game rushing than last year. It is okay to be Intellectually honest, occassionally. Would anyone but a Cougar fan describe us as a physical, beat you down, team on offense or defense? We are improved because of the additional numbers and speed the secondary has limited the big play and wide open receivers. We have successfully made teams drive the length of the field. The fact is our run defense gives up 5.7 yards per attempt, compared to 4.1 last year. Calling any defense that gives up nearly 6 yard per run, physical, is laughable. The 1994 defense game gave up less than 2 yards per attempt, that's physical.

I'd say Pelleur is a pretty physical linebacker. He gives us a bit of a "tough guy" attitude we really haven't had in a while.

“We’ll punch you in the mouth. We’ll outplay you, and I think we’ve continued to show that… We’re going to keep showing the world.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT