ADVERTISEMENT

Unpopular opinion

kougkurt

Hall Of Fame
Nov 19, 2011
Cam Ward is a baller. Yeah, he needs to work on ball control. But come on. He has a Big Sky OL. Until the last couple of weeks, his RB’s have been afraid to hit a hole. And his receivers are below pedestrian. Sure, Victor is a nice slot guy but the lack of outside speed and size hampers the hell out of him. Give him Odunze and Polk and he would would be Michael Penix reincarnated.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
Cam Ward is a baller. Yeah, he needs to work on ball control. But come on. He has a Big Sky OL. Until the last couple of weeks, his RB’s have been afraid to hit a hole. And his receivers are below pedestrian. Sure, Victor is a nice slot guy but the lack of outside speed and size hampers the hell out of him. Give him Odunze and Polk and he would would be Michael Penix reincarnated.
Changing running backs gave us a ruushing attack, these guys should have seen the field long ago

Cam is his own worst enemy. He doesn’t value ball security. It shows in how he runs with the ball and of course his numerous fumbles for loss.

Reactions: Cougini5591
Making the case as to why he will portal and be at SC, Oregon, or UW next year.

It doesn't matter if a QB is baller who accumulates impressive stats if he makes poor decisions at crucial times of game. Ward makes poor decisions throughout the whole game. There is no way SC, Oregon, or UW will have any interest in bringing him in

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
It doesn't matter if a QB is baller who accumulates impressive stats if he makes poor decisions at crucial times of game. Ward makes poor decisions throughout the whole game. There is no way SC, Oregon, or UW will have any interest in bringing him in
Wrong there. All three looking down the barrel of mediocre back ups. Cam is a great option if he has a Oline and weapons. Right now he doesn’t have that, and he’s not well coached. Somewhere may fix him, but it’s not here.

No. He would run around and fumble with Odunze and Polk in his huddle. I’m usually in agreement with you Kurt but…and this is hard to say…Biggs was right about Ward all along. He made strides at the beginning of the year but he’s right back to what he is. A talented kid being undone by his own recklessness. 2 spectacular touchdowns are worthless when you gift wrap the defense two scores of their own.

I disagree.

Penix is the most accurate qb in the conference since Aaron Rogers...and I would struggle to find anyone who has long ball accuracy like he does.

I think Cam is probably the victim of poor coaching.

He'll make a play that will make you go are you serious?!

Then he will make a play that will make you go ARE YOU FNG SERIOUS?!!

Ball security is a decision...or rather, a series of continuous decisions. It is a choice. Not much more to say.

Cam Ward is a baller without a doubt. However, he is more of wish.com Pat Mahomes than any of us would like. He makes egregious mistakes every game these days. You aren't wrong that he'd make fewer mistakes behind a great offensive line, which we don't have, but the OL really only sucked on about 4-5 plays today. He had plenty of pressures where it was him failing to get rid of the ball or frankly....just fuggin' run the ball up the middle.

It might be bad coaching....it might be that he's just not that good at learning.

Reactions: Coug90
Cam Ward is a baller without a doubt. However, he is more of wish.com Pat Mahomes than any of us would like. He makes egregious mistakes every game these days. You aren't wrong that he'd make fewer mistakes behind a great offensive line, which we don't have, but the OL really only sucked on about 4-5 plays today. He had plenty of pressures where it was him failing to get rid of the ball or frankly....just fuggin' run the ball up the middle.

It might be bad coaching....it might be that he's just not that good at learning.
The OL sucked a lot more than 4-5 plays.

This game sucked - we had it if our kicker could get it done.

Ward - gawd he is like fantastic or sucks. He needs to quit throwing it so hard, And yeah - read one or two, then run it.

Hope he bails and we get Mateer. Besides being really hot, I love his play.

The OL sucked a lot more than 4-5 plays.
Let me rephrase. There were only 4-5 plays where Cam had no chance because of the offensive line. There were a couple pressures that came because our receivers couldn't open but there were multiple pressures where he had 4-5 seconds and he did nothing with it.

This was one of their better days. Aside from the 20 yard fumble that wasn’t a forward pass they were solid. Cam did them zero favors today.
How many whiffs do they get to rank “solid?”

Is blocking a choice? Inquiring minds….
Gib, yes, blocking is a choice. And the blocking was significantly better for Cal than it has been in a while. Yes, we had two downhill runners in the game, and that also helped, but those rush yards were not all on the RB's. As for the pass blocking, I remember two complete pass block whiffs, one of which was clearly a blown assignment. Maybe 4 others that were very substandard. Even in our best years, that happened occasionally. However, hanging on to the ball is a habit-drilled technique that is not sufficiently drilled into Cam. He should be able to do it without thinking about it, at this point, and it is clear that has not been a focus for him. I am not as down on Cam as some. I wish his field vision was better, but again, even in our best years some of our QB's were better at that than others. I certainly appreciate his mobility; he is a difficult QB to bring down. But ball security, and the sheer repetitive practice required to improve it, is a decision.

Gib, yes, blocking is a choice. And the blocking was significantly better for Cal than it has been in a while. Yes, we had two downhill runners in the game, and that also helped, but those rush yards were not all on the RB's. As for the pass blocking, I remember two complete pass block whiffs, one of which was clearly a blown assignment. Maybe 4 others that were very substandard. Even in our best years, that happened occasionally. However, hanging on to the ball is a habit-drilled technique that is not sufficiently drilled into Cam. He should be able to do it without thinking about it, at this point, and it is clear that has not been a focus for him. I am not as down on Cam as some. I wish his field vision was better, but again, even in our best years some of our QB's were better at that than others. I certainly appreciate his mobility; he is a difficult QB to bring down. But ball security, and the sheer repetitive practice required to improve it, is a decision.
There was the 20 yard pass fumble and that one series where the OLine basically took off. Other than that they were good, especially considering what we have been watching.

Let me ask this another way if we Had Penix and UW had Ward in the Apple Cup. Who would win. IMO. UW would beat us by even more and Penix would end up in the hospital

Let me ask this another way if we Had Penix and UW had Ward in the Apple Cup. Who would win. IMO. UW would beat us by even more and Penix would end up in the hospital

Ward actually had a really good Apple Cup and that was a back and forth game for 3 quarters.

I'll take Penix over Ward every day and twice on Sunday...although our coaches would probably ruin him.

Here's a fun thought...how 'bout Penix on our 2021 team?

Let me rephrase. There were only 4-5 plays where Cam had no chance because of the offensive line. There were a couple pressures that came because our receivers couldn't open but there were multiple pressures where he had 4-5 seconds and he did nothing with it.
You post this as if everyone knows ahead of time which 4-5 plays somebody on the OL will whiff, and everyone knows ahead of time which plays the OL will actually not collapse and Ward will have something approaching a decent pocket.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT