ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer to Jacksonville

chipdouglas

Hall Of Fame
Mar 16, 2005
It's not just a rumor anymore (LINK)

This guy may be a great coach but he is a pathological liar. Onetime mentor to Aaron Hernandez, he leaves Gainesville under odd circumstances, then goes to Ohio State in a move that defies his stated reason for leaving Gainesville, and now he's going to the Jags, once again defying the "health reasons" that supposedly bounced him out of Florida and tOSU.

Is he mentally ill? Flying too close to the sun on recruiting malpractice like Carroll? What's going on with this guy?

Anyway, will be interesting if he's a force in the NFL, or if he flops out like Chip Kelly & Saban.

I suspect he will do OK. He has demonstrated a consistent ability to find and recruit good assistants, and I've come to think that is maybe the most important task for a NFL HC.

I think he'll probably do well, and even in the NFL, having a good reputation like his should help with "recruiting" in the sense of helping attract free agents.

It's interesting to think about the NFL / college choice for really big name guys like Saban and Meyer. They are one of a small number of coaches who can recruit at a top-5 level primarily with their names alone--even though recruiting at that level still requires good staff and all the other "stuff" that lends itself to top-5 classes, but they're able to have those staff/resources lined up for them--and that lets them have talent at a level where they can roll 75% or more of the time. Their seasons boil down to how their teams do in a very small number of games that are more even matchups. So there is a ton of pressure in those 3-5 games a year, about like what the pressure is in the NFL playoffs, but the rest of it is a relative cakewalk. You have to deal with *tons* of crap in college managing and recruiting kids, though, and the job never ends due to recruiting. You have to deal with boosters, events, and other crap. Just a ton more work and pressure week-in and week-out.

Contrast that with the NFL, where these guys lose the benefit (mostly) of their names in recruiting, and it comes down to actual coaching in a league built for parity. Much less to actually have to deal with, and less of the year they have to be *on*, but more difficult to truly excel.

We see what Saban has chosen. Meyer now is going the other way.

I think he'll probably do well, and even in the NFL, having a good reputation like his should help with "recruiting" in the sense of helping attract free agents.

It's interesting to think about the NFL / college choice for really big name guys like Saban and Meyer. They are one of a small number of coaches who can recruit at a top-5 level primarily with their names alone--even though recruiting at that level still requires good staff and all the other "stuff" that lends itself to top-5 classes, but they're able to have those staff/resources lined up for them--and that lets them have talent at a level where they can roll 75% or more of the time. Their seasons boil down to how their teams do in a very small number of games that are more even matchups. So there is a ton of pressure in those 3-5 games a year, about like what the pressure is in the NFL playoffs, but the rest of it is a relative cakewalk. You have to deal with *tons* of crap in college managing and recruiting kids, though, and the job never ends due to recruiting. You have to deal with boosters, events, and other crap. Just a ton more work and pressure week-in and week-out.

Contrast that with the NFL, where these guys lose the benefit (mostly) of their names in recruiting, and it comes down to actual coaching in a league built for parity. Much less to actually have to deal with, and less of the year they have to be *on*, but more difficult to truly excel.

We see what Saban has chosen. Meyer now is going the other way.
I agree except the talent level lets them roll 90-95% of the time. It really is about the Jimmy's and the Joe's above the X's and O's.

I agree except the talent level lets them roll 90-95% of the time. It really is about the Jimmy's and the Joe's above the X's and O's.

Yeah, I considered 85% (or going full Mik with some kind of range), but I guess it depends on what it means to roll, and my thinking was even an Ohio State usually would have at least one tough conference game (e.g., Michigan, which at least on paper has some talent), the conference title game that usually is a challenge, and then two playoff games. So 4 games out of 15 that at least require some actual coaching and not just rolling the ball out there. Similar situation but perhaps even more so for a very good but not legendary Bama team (couple of tough SEC games, including the championship, and two playoff games).

This guy may be a great coach but he is a pathological liar. Onetime mentor to Aaron Hernandez, he leaves Gainesville under odd circumstances, then goes to Ohio State in a move that defies his stated reason for leaving Gainesville, and now he's going to the Jags, once again defying the "health reasons" that supposedly bounced him out of Florida and tOSU.

Is he mentally ill? Flying too close to the sun on recruiting malpractice like Carroll? What's going on with this guy?

Anyway, will be interesting if he's a force in the NFL, or if he flops out like Chip Kelly & Saban.
So, the really important question: What does Urban Meyer do at QB?

Historically, he likes a QB who can run. That may create a preference for Fields, rather than Lawrence...or maybe he won't even want Lawrence? Not sure he'll want Minshew either, although of all the QBs on the roster, GM seems the closest to his style.

Meyer likely gets total control ala Pete Carroll. He will also get big dollars. Ego is too big too let this pass.

My personal opinion is that he decided to bolt Ohio St. once they suspended him. He had no support from the Trustees. I'm sure the health/stress issues were real but that, IMO, had to be the icing on the cake.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif

Is Saban really a failure at 15-17 overall? I wish he'd gone another season in Miami just to know.

Total crapshoot with college coaches to NFL. I don’t see how this works out for Urban considering his stress at OSU and FL when he had significant talent advantages. Just doesn’t exist in the NFL. Day has apparently attracted some NFL attention considering the way he out coached Dabo and Venables I’d put more money on him than Urban to make that jump.

Meyer had a brain tumor IIRC. Those things are no joke. I remember him on the sideline his last year and it was obvious he's not 100%. We'll see what his recovery is like but I'm guessing the professional gig is much easier on your health than the insane schedule required for college. Especially if he's not tasked with much in the way of GM duties.

His most important job is to pick his staff. He needs to get moving on that, and he can't afford mistakes there.

No more recruiting. That is huge. Still a stressful job but he isnt worrying about recruiting, academics, moms and dads, NCAA infractions, etc. Sure he has other stuff to deal with now but I would imagine he will have more free time once the season is over than he ever did coaching college ball.

Reactions: earldacoug
I’m really glad he didn’t end up at sc. he might have made them into the usc of old. Dominant. With their current regime, I don’t see tHat happening.

If Urban fails in Jax, we can change his name to SubUrban Meyer.

Last edited:
So, the really important question: What does Urban Meyer do at QB?

Historically, he likes a QB who can run. That may create a preference for Fields, rather than Lawrence...or maybe he won't even want Lawrence? Not sure he'll want Minshew either, although of all the QBs on the roster, GM seems the closest to his style.

Referring back to the prior discussion on picking Trevor Lawrence vs trading the #1 pick, now that we know who the coach is how does that affect your prediction or preference? Urban has always had a focus on college and not the NFL. Does that make it more likely he will want to load up on fresh talent from college since he knows that better, meaning trade the top pick for additional draft picks? That seems likely to me, that he would follow the method of Jimmy Johnson when he left U of Miami for Dallas in the NFL.

I am assuming that Jags will end up with a GM/Director of Player Personnel with NFL experience, and if so, Meyer would have a stronger position to argue for control of draft selection than he would evaluating pro free agents or trade options. It will be interesting to follow what happens there, especially with the Mississippi Mustache.

The safer choice is to go with the franchise QB pick. He won't get criticism over that, regardless of how it works out. It would take bigger cojones to trade for picks and build the rest of the team. I suspect that SubUrban will go with the safe choice.

If the goal is the super bowl they have to be honest about how strong their roster is top to bottom. No one would fault you by taking a tip top qb if he shakes out that way. If he doesnt they will be back in the top 5 drafting soon enough because they have no talent anywhere else.

The safer choice is to go with the franchise QB pick. He won't get criticism over that, regardless of how it works out. It would take bigger cojones to trade for picks and build the rest of the team. I suspect that SubUrban will go with the safe choice.
They already knew what they were doing with that pick. They wouldn’t have made the hire if Urban wasn’t on board.

Reactions: 425cougfan

Referring back to the prior discussion on picking Trevor Lawrence vs trading the #1 pick, now that we know who the coach is how does that affect your prediction or preference? Urban has always had a focus on college and not the NFL. Does that make it more likely he will want to load up on fresh talent from college since he knows that better, meaning trade the top pick for additional draft picks? That seems likely to me, that he would follow the method of Jimmy Johnson when he left U of Miami for Dallas in the NFL.

I am assuming that Jags will end up with a GM/Director of Player Personnel with NFL experience, and if so, Meyer would have a stronger position to argue for control of draft selection than he would evaluating pro free agents or trade options. It will be interesting to follow what happens there, especially with the Mississippi Mustache.
Meyer has made comments about Lawrence that suggest that he’s pretty impressed by him. It’s also a little tough as a first time pro coach to buck the prevailing opinion. I think it’s more likely than not that he’ll take Lawrence, but I’m sure he also realizes that there are a lot of holes that need filling, and he might listen to his OC’s opinion on what to do. I read that he’s contacted Scott Linehan to come aboard, haven’t seen any confirmation.

Meyer has made comments about Lawrence that suggest that he’s pretty impressed by him. It’s also a little tough as a first time pro coach to buck the prevailing opinion. I think it’s more likely than not that he’ll take Lawrence, but I’m sure he also realizes that there are a lot of holes that need filling, and he might listen to his OC’s opinion on what to do. I read that he’s contacted Scott Linehan to come aboard, haven’t seen any confirmation.

TL isn't gonna put them in the playoffs next year. They will likely be top 10 draft pick next year too. They may be able to build around him for a couple years with high picks.

TL isn't gonna put them in the playoffs next year. They will likely be top 10 draft pick next year too. They may be able to build around him for a couple years with high picks.
And they’re likely to have those high picks. I haven’t seen anything to indicate that the leadership in Jacksonville has a real plan.

I still think the smart play is to shop the #1 pick and see what they can get. You don’t need a star QB to win a Super Bowl. Ask Trent Dilfer.

And they’re likely to have those high picks. I haven’t seen anything to indicate that the leadership in Jacksonville has a real plan.

I still think the smart play is to shop the #1 pick and see what they can get. You don’t need a star QB to win a Super Bowl. Ask Trent Dilfer.
No, but it sure helps, especially in today's NFL. Check the list of Super Bowl winners the past 15 years. Dilfer was 20 years ago, but since 2005, only Foles and Flacco would be considered a non-star QB. The other SB winners over that time frame include Brady, Manning, Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Brees, and Rothlesberger.

IMO, Trevor Lawrence is going to be a better draft pick than Baker Mayfield, who helped Cleveland become a playoff winner in less than 3 years. Jacksonville already has a whopping 11 picks in this year's draft, including two first round picks, two second round picks, and 5 of the top 65 picks overall. They can grab the best QB in the draft as part of that haul.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: kayak15
No, but it sure helps, especially in today's NFL. Check the list of Super Bowl winners the past 15 years. Dilfer was 20 years ago, but since 2005, only Foles and Flacco would be considered a non-star QB. The other SB winners over that time frame include Brady, Manning, Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Brees, and Rothlesberger.

IMO, Trevor Lawrence is going to be a better draft pick than Baker Mayfield, who helped Cleveland become a playoff winner in less than 3 years. Jacksonville already has a whopping 11 picks in this year's draft, including two first round picks, two second round picks, and 5 of the top 65 picks overall. They can grab the best QB in the draft as part of that haul.

Glad Cougar

5 of the top 65... Alright, Im on board with taking a QB. You can address half of one side of the ball in the top 65... That's sick. Or go with Ozzie Newsome's strategy and take the highest ranked player on your board every time.

This is a big year for them. They can grab some really good players this season, add a few FA's... they prob won't be a playoff team next season so they'll be top 10-15 next year to add a few more guys...

Better win one in 4 years cause it's all gonna blow up when the 2nd contract come.

Glad Cougar
I agree. Trade the Lawrence pick for what, more draft picks? They have already got a boatload of those. Take Lawrence and use the picks to build a future around him. They will still struggle next year and have more decent drafting availabilities.

Minshew's future is a bit up in the air now. Others have posited that his trade value is diminished inasmuch as he was demoted/benched for their last game. Was he? I do not see it that way and have a hunch that their motives were not in consideration of his ability. I suspect two reasons. One, bench him in order to assure they win the Lawrence sweepstakes. Two, why play him and risk an injury when their is no advantageous outcome for them. If my suspicions are correct then the Jags' upper management has stumbled on a good idea for a change. Now they can keep him as their starter while Lawrence learns the trade. Or they can trade him for a starter at another position. Gardner's trade value is not bad at all. He played well on a dysfunctional team and organization. Other GMs will be able to see through the fog and see his value and quality. Gardner will land on his feet, either with the Jags or someone else.

Here's hoping that Meyer can get the Jags management to get their heads out of their ass for a change. He undoubtedly knows what he is getting into and realizes the past pattern of incompetence. Cannot see him committing himself to that without a plan the rectify the situation.

Last edited:
I agree. Trade the Lawrence pick for what, more draft picks? They have already got a boatload of those. Take Lawrence and use the picks to build a future around him.

Minshew's future is a bit up in the air now. Others have posited that his trade value is diminished inasmuch as he was demoted/benched for their last game. Was he? I do not see it that way and have a hunch that their motives were not in consideration of his ability. I suspect two reasons. One, bench him in order to assure they win the Lawrence sweepstakes. Two, why play him and risk an injury when their is no advantageous outcome for them. If my suspicions are correct then the Jags' upper management has stumbled on a good idea for a change. Now they can keep him as their starter while Lawrence learns the trade. Or they can trade him for a starter at another position. Gardner's trade value is not bad at all. He played well on a dysfunctional team and organization. Other GMs will be able to see through the fog and see his value and quality. Gardner will land on his feet, either with the Jags or someone else.
GM3 was benched so they could lose.

That being said, I dont see a team building around him, but he could fall into a Flacco/Foles type role where he manages games and doesnt turn the ball over. Actually... NE would be a nice fit.

I agree. Trade the Lawrence pick for what, more draft picks? They have already got a boatload of those. Take Lawrence and use the picks to build a future around him. They will still struggle next year and have more decent drafting availabilities.

Here's hoping that Meyer can get the Jags management to get their heads out of their ass for a change. He undoubtedly knows what he is getting into and realizes the past pattern of incompetence. Cannot see him committing himself to that without a plan the rectify the situation.

Agree with your two suspected reasons being possible, and with the thought process generally, but being a starter in front of Lawrence, and for a team that possibly will have outsized expectations with Urban and whatever other new talent they bring in, could be a rough spot for him. First errant third-down throw and the fans will be booing him and demanding Lawrence. Might permanently damage his ability to hang around in the NFL, whereas now he looks (to me) more like a value play for a team in a good situation who wants a cheap, solid starter or a very good backup.

Agree with your two suspected reasons being possible, and with the thought process generally, but being a starter in front of Lawrence, and for a team that possibly will have outsized expectations with Urban and whatever other new talent they bring in, could be a rough spot for him. First errant third-down throw and the fans will be booing him and demanding Lawrence. Might permanently damage his ability to hang around in the NFL, whereas now he looks (to me) more like a value play for a team in a good situation who wants a cheap, solid starter or a very good backup.
I don't feel like teams spend as much time or energy into having a decent backup as they once used to. Its starter or bust

I don't feel like teams spend as much time or energy into having a decent backup as they once used to. Its starter or bust

Bleed, you are right, but not because it is not a priority. It is more about supply and demand. There simply are not that many proven, quality back ups. Not enough for even half the teams. The ones fortunate enough to have that guy (Saints; Cowboys; Chiefs come to mind; certainly Foles at Philly back when he got to finish the season that he started as a back up) are very happy. GM will have no problem finding someone who wants him. I suspect that Meyer would like to keep him, at least until Lawrence proves out.

Better win one in 4 years cause it's all gonna blow up when the 2nd contract come.

That’s what I think too, and the question that follows is, do you want to build a team for a run at a title in 4 years - maybe 3 if everything comes together just right - followed by a collapse when the rookie deals end? Or do you want to build for sustained success?

I agree. Trade the Lawrence pick for what, more draft picks?

Now they can keep him as their starter while Lawrence learns the trade. Or they can trade him for a starter at another position.
First, yes...more draft picks. Earlier ones. More of them next year. Deal some of those picks for guys who can play immediately - preferably guys with time left on their deals so you’re not getting a single season mercenary.
The jags have so many needs, they can’t have too many picks in the next 2 drafts. And they also need to be active in free agency, with the amount of cap space they have.

Lawrence will start from day 1. He’s not going to play behind anyone, let alone a 6th rounder like Minshew. #1 picks don’t play backup.

I think you overestimate Minshew’s trade value. He’s shown that he’s a player, but I don’t think there’s a team in the league looking at him as their potential starter. I’m not entirely sure that anyone would trade a starter-level player at any position for him. More than that, if I’m Jacksonville I don’t really see the need to trade him. He’s proven, he’s good in the locker room, and he’s cheap him means I need to find a new backup QB, and getting an equivalent someone probably costs me a lot more. I keep him as my backup through this contract unless I get a good offer for him - and I mean either a starting player I really need, or a pick in the top 2 rounds.

That’s what I think too, and the question that follows is, do you want to build a team for a run at a title in 4 years - maybe 3 if everything comes together just right - followed by a collapse when the rookie deals end? Or do you want to build for sustained success?

First, yes...more draft picks. Earlier ones. More of them next year. Deal some of those picks for guys who can play immediately - preferably guys with time left on their deals so you’re not getting a single season mercenary.
The jags have so many needs, they can’t have too many picks in the next 2 drafts. And they also need to be active in free agency, with the amount of cap space they have.

Lawrence will start from day 1. He’s not going to play behind anyone, let alone a 6th rounder like Minshew. #1 picks don’t play backup.

I think you overestimate Minshew’s trade value. He’s shown that he’s a player, but I don’t think there’s a team in the league looking at him as their potential starter. I’m not entirely sure that anyone would trade a starter-level player at any position for him. More than that, if I’m Jacksonville I don’t really see the need to trade him. He’s proven, he’s good in the locker room, and he’s cheap him means I need to find a new backup QB, and getting an equivalent someone probably costs me a lot more. I keep him as my backup through this contract unless I get a good offer for him - and I mean either a starting player I really need, or a pick in the top 2 rounds.

I dunno that sustained success is possible except for a few teams. Ups and downs, maybe a run here or there. But sustained Super Bowl runs are tough to come by.

Im curious if the day comes where teams treat QBs like colleges do. 4-5 years and gone. If you are paying a guy $25,000,000+ there is only so much $ to sign other players.

I dunno that sustained success is possible except for a few teams. Ups and downs, maybe a run here or there. But sustained Super Bowl runs are tough to come by.

Im curious if the day comes where teams treat QBs like colleges do. 4-5 years and gone. If you are paying a guy $25,000,000+ there is only so much $ to sign other players.
Correct on the difficulty to sustain Super Bowl runs. New England is the last team to repeat as champs (2004/05).

Glad Cougar

I think there’s about 5 or 6 teams where it makes sense to bring him in as a starter, where there’s not already a legit NFL starter in place. 2+ of those teams has to like him enough to be willing to part ways with the valuable commodity of draft pick(s). I don’t see Jax giving him up for less than a 2nd or 3rd, and I’m not sure there’s two teams willing to give that up.

I think there’s about 5 or 6 teams where it makes sense to bring him in as a starter, where there’s not already a legit NFL starter in place. 2+ of those teams has to like him enough to be willing to part ways with the valuable commodity of draft pick(s). I don’t see Jax giving him up for less than a 2nd or 3rd, and I’m not sure there’s two teams willing to give that up.

I would trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a qb that has started and won games. At best he starts for you. At worst he is capable backup.

It’s hard enough to find a guy that can start for you let alone have another guy that can start as a back up.

There are 1st round QB picks that are out if the league in 4 years. GM is a solid prospect.

I would trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a qb that has started and won games. At best he starts for you. At worst he is capable backup.

It’s hard enough to find a guy that can start for you let alone have another guy that can start as a back up.

There are 1st round QB picks that are out if the league in 4 years. GM is a solid prospect.
I would too. The numbers he had in Jax with a terrible team are pretty damn good. I hope there’s a couple of GMs that see it, but a lot of NFL GMs are still caught up in beauty contests and chasing measurables instead of evaluating if a guy can play or not, so I wouldn’t bet on it.

I would too. The numbers he had in Jax with a terrible team are pretty damn good. I hope there’s a couple of GMs that see it, but a lot of NFL GMs are still caught up in beauty contests and chasing measurables instead of evaluating if a guy can play or not, so I wouldn’t bet on it.

QB is the worst evaluated and coached position in all of football. I have never seen so many guys get opportunities based on so little (Tuel) or seen guys routinely asked to do what everyone in the building knows they're bad at (Tebow).

And everyone is chasing what they believe to be a "franchise" QB. There are only so many of those guys out there to be had. So you see teams wind up in a never ending turnstile at the QB position. They never make any headway. They never build anything. They never get anywhere because they won't fully commit to a player.

This idea that they have to get out there and play to develop isn't a bad idea, but why doesn't it apply to other positions? No one ever says for this linebacker to get better we have to put him out there even if he isn't ready. So here are all these rookie QB's strolling onto the field, haven't had so much as a cup of coffee in the league, aren't ready AT ALL to play and a veteran that's won games gets benched. Nick Foles, GM, Ryan Fitzpatrick... only 1 team is gonna win the Super Bowl. Only 2 teams are gonna get there. Rather than put these kids out there that may or may not be worth a damn, why not win games, put a good product on the field and if the younger player wins the job - he wins the job. Instead you get smoked by 3 touchdowns every week all in the name of "learning."

Reactions: mikalalas

Agree, but it is for just this reason that I think Jax keeps him. They will need a capable back up if they take TL and intend to start him as a rookie, which you guys are all saying is the most likely scenario.

QB is the worst evaluated and coached position in all of football. I have never seen so many guys get opportunities based on so little (Tuel) or seen guys routinely asked to do what everyone in the building knows they're bad at (Tebow).

And everyone is chasing what they believe to be a "franchise" QB. There are only so many of those guys out there to be had. So you see teams wind up in a never ending turnstile at the QB position. They never make any headway. They never build anything. They never get anywhere because they won't fully commit to a player.

This idea that they have to get out there and play to develop isn't a bad idea, but why doesn't it apply to other positions? No one ever says for this linebacker to get better we have to put him out there even if he isn't ready. So here are all these rookie QB's strolling onto the field, haven't had so much as a cup of coffee in the league, aren't ready AT ALL to play and a veteran that's won games gets benched. Nick Foles, GM, Ryan Fitzpatrick... only 1 team is gonna win the Super Bowl. Only 2 teams are gonna get there. Rather than put these kids out there that may or may not be worth a damn, why not win games, put a good product on the field and if the younger player wins the job - he wins the job. Instead you get smoked by 3 touchdowns every week all in the name of "learning."

I enjoyed the Brady & Brees meeting last week. When you talk about "franchise qb's", there are two examples. It got me thinking, and led to a question that seems to fit in this thread. My question: is there even one of those franchise guys produced by the college ranks per year, on average? No way is there 2 per year on average. I am not sure that we even average one of those guys per year....?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT