ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer to Jacksonville

Not only that, but if I remember right, the Rams had either had a past winning season, just barely missed playoffs, had a play off appearance, run, deep run, almost made Superbowl, went to Superbowl, etc, with Goff.

Point of that, Goff was ok for them, not that bad, and with a good team, coach, general manager, development, coach up, supporting cast, OL, etc, he is capable of having a winning season, winning division, going to playoffs, making a run, maybe even going to the Superbowl.

Instead of getting what the Rams, Goff needs to do that, they stupidly trade Goff.

And not only did they stupidly trade Goff, but they get ripped off.

As has been already said, Stafford, is not worth Goff, AND 2,3 1st round picks, 2nd round picks, etc.

The team that traded Stafford did awesome. They can try to trade up for Lawrence, or get a Free Agent QB, or they can just go with Goff.

And they have Stafford's money for Free Agents.

If they play their cards right, they can be a force to be reckoned with.

The Seahawks thank you Rams. 1 Less team, threat to deal with.
Here’s the thing. I can see trading Goff and unloading his contract by throwing in a draft pick if they didn’t think he was the guy. I believe it was the Texans who did that with Osweiller. Basically giving a team draft capital to eat dead money on a crap contract that you don’t want to eat. But that’s not what this is obviously. I have no idea what the rams are thinking here. You see some truly bizarre things in this league.

Did anyone see the report that the Rams are sending Goff, two future first round picks (they don't have a 1st this year from the Jalen Ramsey trade), and a 3rd for Mathew Stafford of the Lions. Huge trade. Rams going all in to win now.

That would probably be a good deal for Detroit. Goff has been a below average NFL starter, but those picks will be useful to the Lions. And Goff may do better in another environment...if Detroit has the receivers. I don't know if Stafford is the guy, but he is probably better than Goff. The Rams have missed on some people...they have to be hoping that Stafford won't be another miss.

Great deal for Detroit, IMO. But if Stafford, who is still only 32, is at least partially responsible for putting the Rams back in the Super Bowl & maybe winning one, I would think LA fans would be satisfied with the trade. It's damn hard to get to the Super Bowl and even harder if you don't get good play out of the QB position.

Glad Cougar

Great deal for Detroit, IMO. But if Stafford, who is still only 32, is at least partially responsible for putting the Rams back in the Super Bowl & maybe winning one, I would think LA fans would be satisfied with the trade. It's damn hard to get to the Super Bowl and even harder if you don't get good play out of the QB position.

Glad Cougar
I’d say they are going for broke. Staffords been beat up though, it’s not like he’s had the Brady life in the pocket. I don’t see him still peaking at >35. They have like a 3 year window. And to me Staffords not even a top 10 QB in the league.

I’d say they are going for broke. Staffords been beat up though, it’s not like he’s had the Brady life in the pocket. I don’t see him still peaking at >35. They have like a 3 year window. And to me Staffords not even a top 10 QB in the league.
Stafford has been a decent performer on a crap team, so he might be able to do something on a team with actual talent. And, maybe this lights a fire under him, going to a team that actually seems to care about winning. But the window is pretty narrow, I suspect he’ll be out of the league in another 4-5 years.
It’s a disaster for Goff. The Rams are clearly giving up on him, and giving up significant draft capital to send him packing. Plus he’s ending up in the NFL’s version of a Siberian gulag.
But...Detroit gets a young QB with unrealized potential and some solid picks. They should be able to get at least one impact player out of this...although based on history, it’s likely they screw it up.

Reactions: chipdouglas
That would probably be a good deal for Detroit. Goff has been a below average NFL starter, but those picks will be useful to the Lions. And Goff may do better in another environment...if Detroit has the receivers. I don't know if Stafford is the guy, but he is probably better than Goff. The Rams have missed on some people...they have to be hoping that Stafford won't be another miss.
He’s a 2-time pro bowl selection, has taken his team to 1 Super Bowl and was a game away from another in his 5-year career. Hardly below average, imo.

Reactions: mikalalas
Did anyone see the report that the Rams are sending Goff, two future first round picks (they don't have a 1st this year from the Jalen Ramsey trade), and a 3rd for Mathew Stafford of the Lions. Huge trade. Rams going all in to win now.

I thought it was crazy.

Stafford's biggest issue with Detroit is that the Lions haven't had an even halfway decent defense in decades. He'll have one of the best in LA. The Rams were good enough defensively the past couple of years to be in another Super Bowl but struggled on offense.

Feel a bit sorry for Goff. The Lions will have some good draft capital now, but history shows a franchise that just doesn't know how to put together a good team. They've won exactly one post season game since 1959.

Glad Cougar

Stafford's biggest issue with Detroit is that the Lions haven't had an even halfway decent defense in decades. He'll have one of the best in LA. The Rams were good enough defensively the past couple of years to be in another Super Bowl but struggled on offense.

Feel a bit sorry for Goff. The Lions will have some good draft capital now, but history shows a franchise that just doesn't know how to put together a good team. They've won exactly one post season game since 1959.

Glad Cougar
I guess I just don’t see that it’s a huge upgrade. I mean I could see it for Watson because he’s young, dynamic, playmaker.
Goff vs Stafford depends what you are looking for I guess. Stafford probably has a bigger arm but Goff has been more efficient. Staffords a career 2:1 TD:INT which nowadays is about average...maybe even slightly below...and he’s on the tail end of his career. Two things must be at play IMO. There’s something more to Goff-falling out with McVay maybe? And Stafford must be a guy McVays been in love with for a while for some reason. Just thinks he would kill it in his offense, while he’s stuck in neutral in the lions scheme. Only thing that makes sense.

I guess I just don’t see that it’s a huge upgrade. I mean I could see it for Watson because he’s young, dynamic, playmaker.
Goff vs Stafford depends what you are looking for I guess. Stafford probably has a bigger arm but Goff has been more efficient. Staffords a career 2:1 TD:INT which nowadays is about average...maybe even slightly below...and he’s on the tail end of his career. Two things must be at play IMO. There’s something more to Goff-falling out with McVay maybe? And Stafford must be a guy McVays been in love with for a while for some reason. Just thinks he would kill it in his offense, while he’s stuck in neutral in the lions scheme. Only thing that makes sense.
Yeah, I personally think the Rams gave up way too much in this deal. Goff and ONE first rounder seems more equitable. But Stafford is an upgrade, IMO, and still has a few years left in him IF the Rams think he's at the same level as a Philip Rivers or approaching a Ben Rothlesberger. They must also think his numbers would be much better surrounded by more talent than Detroit has been able to muster. And finally, the Rams must think their window for championship contention will be closing in a couple of years as Aaron Donald and some of the others age, but a look at the roster shows they really aren't that old of a team. Beats me.

Glad Cougar

Yeah, I personally think the Rams gave up way too much in this deal. Goff and ONE first rounder seems more equitable. But Stafford is an upgrade, IMO, and still has a few years left in him IF the Rams think he's at the same level as a Philip Rivers or approaching a Ben Rothlesberger. They must also think his numbers would be much better surrounded by more talent than Detroit has been able to muster. And finally, the Rams must think their window for championship contention will be closing in a couple of years as Aaron Donald and some of the others age, but a look at the roster shows they really aren't that old of a team. Beats me.

Glad Cougar
Don't discount the money in the equation either. Stafford is at least a modest upgrade, and dumping Goff frees up some money for the Rams in the long term. Assuming they re-work Stafford's contract after the trade, they should save millions. The Lions' cap situation is more complicated, but they could save money in the long run too...which will help create money to pay the extra draft picks they're going to have.

Taken by itself, I do think the Rams overpaid - they don't have a 1st round pick this year, and now they've given up their next 2 also. But just having consistent play at QB - which I expect Stafford can provide - is an upgrade for them, and could just be what they were missing. If he can give them better QB play as well as consistency, then the Rams have to be among the favorites for a title in the next 2 years. After that, they have to keep their fingers crossed that Stafford can continue to play long enough for them to find a replacement QB, and get some upgrades at other positions.

The Rams may win this trade in the short term, but it sets up Detroit better in the long term if they can manage it right.

Looking at the ripple effects of this:
  1. I think Deshaun Watson stays in Houston. If Stafford is worth 2 first round picks, Watson is worth four...and nobody is going to pay that.
  2. Stafford seemed like a good fit for the Colts. Now that he's off the market, do they trade up for a QB, or do they look for another option....like a certain 3rd year pro in Jacksonville?
  3. Jimmy Garoppolo has to love this. He's starting to look like the next man up in the QB musical chairs.

He’s a 2-time pro bowl selection, has taken his team to 1 Super Bowl and was a game away from another in his 5-year career. Hardly below average, imo.

His recent performance has been lacking, particularly in situations where the QB needed to step up...Goff stepped back. If we were talking about the Goff of 3 years ago, then you are right. If we are talking about the Goff that just finished the season, it is a different story. 3 years ago the Rams would not have considered trading him. After last season, it was an open question as to whether they would keep him, and if they traded him, who could offer something better. Is Stafford actually better? That is a good question. But the idea that Goff was up for a trade has been an open discussion item for a while.

His recent performance has been lacking, particularly in situations where the QB needed to step up...Goff stepped back. If we were talking about the Goff of 3 years ago, then you are right. If we are talking about the Goff that just finished the season, it is a different story. 3 years ago the Rams would not have considered trading him. After last season, it was an open question as to whether they would keep him, and if they traded him, who could offer something better. Is Stafford actually better? That is a good question. But the idea that Goff was up for a trade has been an open discussion item for a while.
I agree he didn't light it up this season so I suppose he had a below average season, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he's a below average QB at this point in his career with what he's accomplished so far.

I agree he didn't light it up this season so I suppose he had a below average season, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he's a below average QB at this point in his career with what he's accomplished so far.

Finger, Detroit would agree with you. Only time will tell. It is possible that both teams will be happy with the results, though we seldom look at it that way on this board. Maybe it will be win/win.

Goff is a hump who I’ve watched 16 times a year for 5-years.
Rams made a poor decision by giving up the farm to draft this 21st century version of Jim (Chrissy) Everett who would rather take selfie’s w/GF model than improve his skills as a QB.
He wasn’t a leader @ Cal, nor w/the Rams.
McVay was done w/him, thus the reason for Wolford starting vs. Seattle, although Goof was cleared to play.
He’s regressed drastically these last two-years and Rams are going all in to win now and fill that beautiful new stadium when fans are allowed to attend.

n Houston. If Stafford is worth 2 first round picks, Watson is worth four...and nobody is going to pay that.
  1. Stafford seemed like a good fit for the Colts. Now that he's off the market, do they trade up for a QB, or do they look for another option....like a certain 3rd year pro in Jacksonville?
  2. Jimmy Garoppolo has to love this. He's starting to look like the next man up in the QB musical chairs.
[/QUOTE]

I love Minshew, but the Colts are a win now team, he ain't what they are looking for at QB to get to the SB.

n Houston. If Stafford is worth 2 first round picks, Watson is worth four...and nobody is going to pay that.
  1. Stafford seemed like a good fit for the Colts. Now that he's off the market, do they trade up for a QB, or do they look for another option....like a certain 3rd year pro in Jacksonville?
  2. Jimmy Garoppolo has to love this. He's starting to look like the next man up in the QB musical chairs.

I love Minshew, but the Colts are a win now team, he ain't what they are looking for at QB to get to the SB.
[/QUOTE]

You are probably right. But this again points out how rare it is to have a capable #2 QB. Gardner won't be ignored; he will land somewhere.

You are probably right. But this again points out how rare it is to have a capable #2 QB. Gardner won't be ignored; he will land somewhere.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I'd be willing to bet most GM's would put him in the "bottom tier Starter, solid back-up" group at this point. He still has a chance to change that with a solid opportunity, but as of now, thats where he is.

If the Colts somehow find a way to land Watson from Houston, Indy would be my pick to win the Super Bowl next year.

Glad Cougar

If the Colts somehow find a way to land Watson from Houston, Indy would be my pick to win the Super Bowl next year.

Glad Cougar
And if Stafford pans out in LA, that sets up a Colts/Rams Super Bowl. I have a hard time thinking of a matchup I care less about. Maybe...Kansas City/Tampa Bay?

TBF, that Rams team was lightning in a bottle; not unlike Seahawks 2013-14. LOADED with guys who could start on any team whose contracts hadn't kicked in yet. Who did they have? Todd Gurley, Cooper Kupp, Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods, Tyler Higbee, Ndamukong Suh, Aaron Donald, Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, not to mention a bunch of no-names who overperformed. That's an easy SB ring if they're playing anybody other than Brady-Belichick, whether it's Goff or a bag of hammers IMO.

Agreed, I'd be willing to bet most GM's would put him in the "bottom tier Starter, solid back-up" group at this point. He still has a chance to change that with a solid opportunity, but as of now, thats where he is.
[/QUOTE]
I think so too. But I still don't see any reason for Jacksonville to trade him. Even with Lawrence in there as the starter, they've got a solid backup who they know can step in as starter... and he's not going to cost them games. There's very little chance they're going to find another player that gives them that for the same dirt-cheap price.

I wouldn't trade Minshew unless I was offered a pick in the first two rounds, or a proven veteran QB who can give me the same things he does, plus be a coach on the field for Lawrence, plus not carry a big cap number. I'm not sure that player exists.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT