ADVERTISEMENT

USC loses at Texas

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
37-14 final. Trojans will be 1-2 when Cougs arrive at LA Coliseum on Friday night for nationally televised game.

I doubt that the Toejams will be overconfident or looking past us. If they lose to us they start 1-3 for the first time in many, many years.

It's tough when you have a true frosh QB.

Most likely the locker room is in disarray. It will be imperative that we start fast so they don’t gain confidence. We’ll be going in confident. Their season is over, they know it.

Reactions: random soul
I doubt that the Toejams will be overconfident or looking past us. If they lose to us they start 1-3 for the first time in many, many years.

It's tough when you have a true frosh QB.

Are they starting the kid that left high school early?

Yes, Biggs, it is the guy you are thinking about. He was in spring ball with them, so he has had a bit more adjustment than the normal true freshman, but he is still having trouble with the speed of the game and the complexity of reading defenses. As you would expect. We've all seen a handful of true FR QB's who were decent by the end of the season, but it usually took half a season or more for them to get to that point. Daniels has not had that luxury yet, and as you would expect, in obvious passing situations he has issues if facing a solid pass rush. He is reasonably mobile, so if the pass rush totally loses containment he is capable of running, but to this point that has been an "only when necessary" component of SC's game plan, rather than a deliberate, "Oregon style" part of the game plan. Of course, when you start 1-2 on the season, that could change. For all I know, SC may show some option this week. The kid is green, and I'm not aware that they've practiced much run/pass option stuff, but l may simply be unaware of it if they have. Daniels appears to have the physical tools to play in the Kelly Oregon mode if they wanted to, though that can be dangerous if you are not yet to the point that you can read a defense well.

I will also note that SC's O line has not had the cohesiveness that one usually expects to see thus far this year. Their rush game disappeared against Texas; one 20+ yard run for a TD, and otherwise almost literally nothing on the ground. Lots of 3rd and long, so the QB was in a hole for much of the game. Many, many SC penalties, spread across both sides of the line, and a targeting call that has their star OLB suspended for the first half of our game. In fairness, the SC OLB's targeting call was sort of close. The call against the Texas DB later in the game was blatant and could easily have been deliberate...maybe in their player's mind it was payback...I don't know. The officials on the field did not flag the Texas DB, but that targeting example was so painfully obvious that the TV crew required a review and then threw the flag remotely. The SC player who is out (Gustin) is very good. Looks to me to be their best LB. So having him out for the first half is a bit of a gift. On the other hand, LB is a position where SC has some depth, so it's not like they will be naked at the position.

Pretty sure he reclassified, but yes. True freshmen.

Daniels might suddenly emerge Friday night, but right now he's not exactly living up to Yogi Roth's ridiculously hyperbolic pre-season prediction Daniels is the next Sam Darnold wunderkind (Daniels had to shower following that lathering, I believe). The loss of Gustin is pivotal. We need to jump all over SC's arse early and often.

Yes, Biggs, it is the guy you are thinking about. He was in spring ball with them, so he has had a bit more adjustment than the normal true freshman, but he is still having trouble with the speed of the game and the complexity of reading defenses. As you would expect. We've all seen a handful of true FR QB's who were decent by the end of the season, but it usually took half a season or more for them to get to that point. Daniels has not had that luxury yet, and as you would expect, in obvious passing situations he has issues if facing a solid pass rush. He is reasonably mobile, so if the pass rush totally loses containment he is capable of running, but to this point that has been an "only when necessary" component of SC's game plan, rather than a deliberate, "Oregon style" part of the game plan. Of course, when you start 1-2 on the season, that could change. For all I know, SC may show some option this week. The kid is green, and I'm not aware that they've practiced much run/pass option stuff, but l may simply be unaware of it if they have. Daniels appears to have the physical tools to play in the Kelly Oregon mode if they wanted to, though that can be dangerous if you are not yet to the point that you can read a defense well.

I will also note that SC's O line has not had the cohesiveness that one usually expects to see thus far this year. Their rush game disappeared against Texas; one 20+ yard run for a TD, and otherwise almost literally nothing on the ground. Lots of 3rd and long, so the QB was in a hole for much of the game. Many, many SC penalties, spread across both sides of the line, and a targeting call that has their star OLB suspended for the first half of our game. In fairness, the SC OLB's targeting call was sort of close. The call against the Texas DB later in the game was blatant and could easily have been deliberate...maybe in their player's mind it was payback...I don't know. The officials on the field did not flag the Texas DB, but that targeting example was so painfully obvious that the TV crew required a review and then threw the flag remotely. The SC player who is out (Gustin) is very good. Looks to me to be their best LB. So having him out for the first half is a bit of a gift. On the other hand, LB is a position where SC has some depth, so it's not like they will be naked at the position.

There aren’t many kids that can handle a legit pass rush. Especially a qb that shouldn’t be a high school senior.

When WSU beats SC and the fans head for the parking lot early, Helton might not be the coach on Sunday morning. SC doesn’t spend zillions of dollars on football to be 1-3.

There aren’t many kids that can handle a legit pass rush. Especially a qb that shouldn’t be a high school senior.

When WSU beats SC and the fans head for the parking lot early, Helton might not be the coach on Sunday morning. SC doesn’t spend zillions of dollars on football to be 1-3.

That's what I'm saying. I honestly think Helton will be on the way out if we win. 1-3 losing to Texas, Stanford, and us and those alumni will be throwing money around to make a change real quick.

This is a do or die game for Helton.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT