ADVERTISEMENT

USC Trainwreck continues

etowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Apr 15, 2018

Federal Way alumnus Trey Davis has entered the portal after a month on campus. WTF. One week and kids are already heading for the exits (Davis isn't the first and won't be the last to do this). I'm starting to wonder if they've set up a kiosk on the practice field where players can enter the portal if they feel they were treated unfairly.

Federal Way alumnus Trey Davis has entered the portal after a month on campus. WTF. One week and kids are already heading for the exits (Davis isn't the first and won't be the last to do this). I'm starting to wonder if they've set up a kiosk on the practice field where players can enter the portal if they feel they were treated unfairly.
While I'm always happy to see the bourgeois programs burn, watching kids leave like this sets a really bad precedent. Like, NBA players leaving every 2 years type precedent.

There were some rumors that his family wanted him to go to WSU.

Also, he was one of the lowest rated recruit in USC’s class. He may have been in for a rude awaking regarding his talent.

Reactions: SDCoug and Cougzz

Reading the story, it sounds like Davis should have never committed to USC in the first place. They recruited NINE defensive backs in the 2019 class. Of course, he committed on 5/18/18 and USC got commitments from six of those nine guys in the final 10 days before signing day in February 2019. If anything, the USC coaching staff deserves a kick in the balls for stringing Davis along. There was a comment above about the negatives to all the transfers, but given that USC undoubtedly changed the situation for Davis without having a discussion with him, I don't see a problem with him transferring if he doesn't thing it's a good fit.

Reactions: metprof
I dont think he is going to the ducks. If he is not good enough for USC, then he is not good enough for the dogs, ducks, or so those programs will probably think.

So I think he either goes to either WSU, or Ore St.

My guess is WSU, because if his family really does want him to go to WSU, WSU is, would, should probably be next best to USC, ORE, UW, in his eyes, and in his families eyes,

He would have the chance to get, earn early playing time, and likely goto Rosebowl, Fiesta Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Alamo Bowl, by the time he is done at, with WSU, with a good chance to get a shot, chance at NFL.

He would get good facilities, good training, coaching, development.

He would be safer at WSU. And he could better focus at WSU, instead of having a greater chance at getting into trouble at either USC, ORE, UW.

Hopefully he thinks about those things, and listens to his family.

Not just so that WSU would benefit, but also because his family is probably right, that WSU probably is the best place, fit for him.

But whatever he decides, good luck to him.

There were some rumors that his family wanted him to go to WSU.

Also, he was one of the lowest rated recruit in USC’s class. He may have been in for a rude awaking regarding his talent.

I don’t think he ever was offered by Wazzu. When he committed to SC he didn’t even have another Pac-12 offer. It was like Sac State and Portland State. I know a coach that coached against him and he was shocked that he was offered. Other conference coaches told him they were shocked too that SC offered. He thought that they’d pull the offer after more guys committed.

Reactions: Cougzz
It sounds like it was worth a try out at USC for him but he would be better situated at a Big Sky program. Hopefully he will find a program and be successful there.

I don’t think he ever was offered by Wazzu. When he committed to SC he didn’t even have another Pac-12 offer. It was like Sac State and Portland State. I know a coach that coached against him and he was shocked that he was offered. Other conference coaches told him they were shocked too that SC offered. He thought that they’d pull the offer after more guys committed.
I do not know if he did or not, but brand x said he had offers from Washington State, Portland State and Sacramento State.

Also, from reading a few of the comments in this thread, some people are jumping to conclusions on the reason why he is transferring. I doubt it was because he saw the competition and decided to leave.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
I don't like the idea of giving a scholarship to a kid who quit at USC after a month. Especially if he wasn't good enough to play there.

Again, because of the way that USC handled their recruiting, I don't know how much I'd judge the kid on leaving fast. Of course, it's up to our coaches as to whether or not that they think he has talent......can't say that I value his family's opinion too much. :)

Reactions: mikalalas
I do not know if he did or not, but brand x said he had offers from Washington State, Portland State and Sacramento State.

Also, from reading a few of the comments in this thread, some people are jumping to conclusions on the reason why he is transferring. I doubt it was because he saw the competition and decided to leave.

I'm with 1990 on this. Kids don't leave after a month if the only issue is concern about competition. There are a lot of potential reasons, and it seems reasonable that there may be more than one reason at work here.

As for his talent level and where he would transfer, that will work itself out. He might be good enough to attract a P5 offer, and he might not. Time will tell. I will be interested to follow the situation and see how it ends up, if anyone hears and can let us know.

I'm with 1990 on this. Kids don't leave after a month if the only issue is concern about competition. There are a lot of potential reasons, and it seems reasonable that there may be more than one reason at work here.

As for his talent level and where he would transfer, that will work itself out. He might be good enough to attract a P5 offer, and he might not. Time will tell. I will be interested to follow the situation and see how it ends up, if anyone hears and can let us know.
Stars in high school have confidence. That he chose USC in the first place shows he had confidence. That he has decided to leave USC before ever putting on the pads and really comparing himself to others kind of tells us that there were other issues. It is more likely something like home sickness, that he felt lied to, got in minor trouble, etc.

If WSU wants him, I could see him essentially greyshirting and enrolling in school in January.

Do we even have a schollie to give?

And, I haven't bothered keeping up on transfer rules. Does this kid have to burn a year of eligibility to transfer still?

And, I haven't bothered keeping up on transfer rules. Does this kid have to burn a year of eligibility to transfer still?
No more scholarships to give. The last one went to Oscar Draguicevich. That was why I was throwing out the greyshirt. I do not know the rules either, but if he were enrolled in summer school, he is subject to the transfer rules. That is why he entered the transfer portal. He was a likely redshirt anyway.

I assume he'd be in next year's class. Take him in at semester, blue shirt, whatever.

Loyal, I think we gave 25 and so can't do any more this year. As for the 85 max, you are right, Jalen's scholie is now available.

I don't like the idea of giving a scholarship to a kid who quit at USC after a month. Especially if he wasn't good enough to play there.

The ONLY reason why he wasnt good enough to play at USC, is because of the 5, FIVE OTHER 5, FIVE STARS at CB, Safetey, DB, at his position, at USC

ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE, EXTREMELY UNLIKELY FOR A 3,4,5 STAR TO BEAT OUT 4,5 OTHER 5 STARS AT USC.

Now at a place like WSU, where he as a 3,4,5 star, would likely be competing against 2 star, 1 star, NR star, 3 star, etc, he would EXTREMELY LIKELY BEAT OUT HIS COMPETITION, START, GET A LOT OF MEANINGFUL PLAYING TIME, WHETHER AS STARTER, OR BACK UP.

I know it seems like its not a good look for him quiting after 1 month at USC BUT:

1. There is a ok chance that HE SAW THE WRITING ON THE WALL, and rightfully quit, transfering to where he can play.

He really should have listened to his family, and not gone to USC.

But even if there is a risk that he wouldnt work out at WSU, or anywhere else because of him quitting at USC, you have to take the risk, gamble that he will, would work out.

There are only 2 ways WSU will, would get a 4 star, or 5 star player, that usually play at the USC blue blood colleges.

1. Either get extremely lucky, beat out a blue blood for a 4,5 star.

2. A 4,5 star at a blood blood like USC, transfers to WSU.

Bumpus was a 3,4 star WR, that ALMOST ended up like Trey Davis, and would have if he had not decommitted, commited to WSU.

Champ Simmons was another 3,4 star, that did pretty much the same as Bumpus, Trey Davis.

Both Champ Simmons, Bumpus worked out pretty good for WSU.

If WSU want to goto Playoffs, Rosebowls, etc, these are the gambles that WSU has to make. WSU would need to take a gamble, risk on Trey Davis, that he as a 3, 4, 5 star recruit, would have been BURIED at USC, and that he is, would be good enough to play at WSU.

That is how WSU can get 4,5 star recruits.

That is how WSU can goto Rosebowls.

WSU CANNOT AFFORD TO TELL A 5 STAR THAT WSU NOT INTERESTED BECAUSE THEY QUIT AT ANOTHER COLLEGE.

DOING THAT IS A AWESOME WAY TO LOSE, AND NOT WIN

Last edited:

No, transfering does not burn a year of elIgibility. Transfering inside Pac 12, rules has changed, to where no penalty, no wait, etc. Rule change was just made. Wish I had the link, could post the credible link where I saw that.

Good topic for another thread.

Last edited:
Trey Davis was a low 3 star recruit who unexpectedly got a USC offer. By transferring out he's showing, IMHO, he doesn't have the grit necessary to succeed here. WSU needs three stars who are five star fits with five star work ethics. Not one star work ethics.

Bumpus was one of the highest rated recruits the Cougs have ever landed, but he was never the best receiver on the squad. Cougs landed him because USC asked him to greyshirt at the last minute.

Champ Simmons. Dont make me laugh. He was an ok player his true freshman year and got his head kicked in for talking trash by some frat boys. He ended up transferring TO USC because his bro played there.

The ONLY reason why he wasnt good enough to play at USC, is because of the 5, FIVE OTHER 5, FIVE STARS at CB, Safetey, DB, at his position, at USC

ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE, EXTREMELY UNLIKELY FOR A 3,4,5 STAR TO BEAT OUT 4,5 OTHER 5 STARS AT USC.

Now at a place like WSU, where he as a 3,4,5 star, would likely be competing against 2 star, 1 star, NR star, 3 star, etc, he would EXTREMELY LIKELY BEAT OUT HIS COMPETITION, START, GET A LOT OF MEANINGFUL PLAYING TIME, WHETHER AS STARTER, OR BACK UP.

I know it seems like its not a good look for him quiting after 1 month at USC BUT:

1. There is a ok chance that HE SAW THE WRITING ON THE WALL, and rightfully quit, transfering to where he can play.

But even if there is a risk that he wouldnt work out at WSU, or anywhere else because of him quitting at USC, you have to take the risk, gamble that he will, would work out.

There are only 2 ways WSU will, would get a 4 star, or 5 star player, that usually play at the USC blue blood colleges.

Bumpus was a 3,4 star WR, that ALMOST ended up like Trey Davis, and would have if he had not decommitted, commited to WSU.

Champ Simmons was another 3,4 star, that did pretty much the same as Bumpus, Trey Davis.

If WSU want to goto Playoffs, Rosebowls, etc, these are the gambles that WSU has to make. WSU would need to take a gamble, risk on Trey Davis, that he as a 3, 4, 5 star recruit, would have been BURIED at USC, and that he is, would be good enough to play at WSU.

WSU CANNOT AFFORD TO TELL A 5 STAR THAT WSU NOT INTERESTED BECAUSE THEY QUIT AT ANOTHER COLLEGE.

Trey Davis was a low 3 star recruit who unexpectedly got a USC offer. By transferring out he's showing, IMHO, he doesn't have the grit necessary to succeed here. WSU needs three stars who are five star fits with five star work ethics. Not one star work ethics.

Bumpus was one of the highest rated recruits the Cougs have ever landed, but he was never the best receiver on the squad. Cougs landed him because USC asked him to greyshirt at the last minute.

Champ Simmons. Dont make me laugh. He was an ok player his true freshman year and got his head kicked in for talking trash by some frat boys. He ended up transferring TO USC because his bro played there.
Not a 5 star? Next you're going to tell us the Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor, right?

I think Mik has become this site's Bluto Blutarsky.

While Bumpus would have had to be amazing to be the best receiver on the squad, and probably was never the very best, it was more about what he did with the ball in his hands than it was his ability to make the catch. Not that his hands were bad; they were very good; but his pattern running and reach were probably not the top of the staff while he was here. He did, however, return punts. His best traits were on display in that role: made the catch, displayed guts, good field awareness, was elusive & got yards after catch, and held onto the ball after contact. He was a star for us then and would be a star for us now.

Your missing the point. (I assumed that he was a 4,5 star like most of all the other recruits at the blue blood USC)

The point is that BLUE BLOOD USC has 4,5 other 4,5 Star Recruits in LIKELY IN FRONT to BEAT OUT in order to play at all.

You make my point even better. As a 3 star, Trey Davis would only have about a 23% chance at best to beat out 4,5 other 4,5 stars likely in front of him, and get to play, EVEN IF HE WAS, WERE TO BE THE HARDEST GRITTY WORKER IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY.

That wouldnt matter, he would still EXTREMELY LIKELY NOT PLAY AT ALL.

WHY?

Because as a 3 star, he is NOT NOT NOT going to beat out 4,5 other 4,5 stars EXTREMELY LIKELY BETTER THEN HIM.

HE SHOULD NEVER HAVE GONE TO USC BECAUSE OF THAT.

IF I was in his shoes I sure wouldnt have. And most smart people wouldnt have either.

But he went there.

HE WAS RIGHT TO QUIT, TRANSFER, GO TO A PLACE HE CAN GO GET PLAYING TIME.

THAT WAS SMART.

And if I was in his shoes, I would have done the same.

While you would have probably stupidly stayed, SMARTLY WORKED YOUR BUT OFF, AND STILL NOT PLAYED A SINGLE SNAP THERE, because of the 4,5 other 4,5 stars that better then you, in front of you.

WSU, or any other place he can go to get playing time, as long as he works, he would probably have about a 63% to 83% chance, extremely likely that he start, play, since he is a 3 star, that BLUE BLOOD USC offered, and since he would probably be going against 1,2 stars, NR, 1,2, 3 stars

63% to 83%, EXTREMELY LIKELY to play at WSU if work hard, is BETTER then 23%, EXTREMELY UNLIKELY to play even if were to be HARDEST WORKER ever, at USC.

The kid was stupid to go to USC.

SMART TO TRANSFER ASAP.

WSU needs to get TRANSFERS, (like a Trey Davis Transfer from blue blood USC),from BLUE BLOOD COLLEGES LIKE USC.

The kid might probably work hard enough, or Leach would probably get the kid to work.

Leach would probably take this kid.

While you would STUPIDLY not take the kid.

Thankfully Leach is coach, and not you.

Last edited:
Your missing the point. (I assumed that he was a 4,5 star like most of all the other recruits at the blue blood USC)

The point is that BLUE BLOOD USC has 4,5 other 4,5 Star Recruits in LIKELY IN FRONT to BEAT OUT in order to play at all.

You make my point even better. As a 3 star, Trey Davis would only have about a 23% chance at best to beat out 4,5 other 4,5 stars likely in front of him, and get to play, EVEN IF HE WAS, WERE TO BE THE HARDEST GRITTY WORKER IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY.

WHY?

Because as a 3 star, he is NOT NOT NOT going to beat out 4,5 other 4,5 stars EXTREMELY LIKELY BETTER THEN HIM.

IF I was in his shoes I sure wouldnt have. And most smart people wouldnt have either.

But he went there.

THAT WAS SMART.

While you would have probably stupidly stayed, SMARTLY WORKED YOUR BUT OFF, AND STILL NOT PLAYED A SINGLE SNAP THERE, because of the 4,5 other 4,5 stars that better then you, in front of you.

WSU, or any other place he can go to get playing time, as long as he works, he would probably have about a 63% to 83% chance, extremely likely that he start, play, since he is a 3 star, that BLUE BLOOD USC offered, and since he would probably be going against 1,2 stars, NR, 1,2, 3 stars

63% to 83%, EXTREMELY LIKELY to play at WSU if work hard, is BETTER then 23%, EXTREMELY UNLIKELY to play even if were to be HARDEST WORKER ever, at USC.

SMART TO TRANSFER ASAP.

WSU needs to get TRANSFERS, (like a Trey Davis Transfer from blue blood USC),from BLUE BLOOD COLLEGES LIKE USC.

The kid might probably work hard enough, or Leach would probably get the kid to work.

You're being WAAAAAYYYYY too generous at 23% probability of beating out the other 4/5 stars; 19%, TOPS.

Here is a question for you . Has practice started that he could make a determination on where he fit in?

You want kids who aren't good enough to play on 5-7 teams because they traditionally recruit well? Gotcha.

I have a weird theory. It's called recruit three star kids who are good enough to play everywhere (like Dez Patmon, Easop Winston, Abe Lucas, Jahad Woods and Will Rodgers).

Leach has built his program to the point where he doesn't need to be begging players who weren't even able to last a season at struggling blue blood schools to transfer in. USC made a mistake in offering Davis and considering his dumpster fire time there (as well as wasting one of the 25 scholarships the school is allowed to award) it would be a mistake for us to offer him now. I'd much rather offer a HS kid with some upside who might not leave the second he misses mommy or hits a bit of adversity.

WHY?

But he went there.

THAT WAS SMART.

SMART TO TRANSFER ASAP.

You want kids who aren't good enough to play on 5-7 teams because they traditionally recruit well? Gotcha.

I have a weird theory. It's called recruit three star kids who are good enough to play everywhere (like Dez Patmon, Easop Winston, Abe Lucas, Jahad Woods and Will Rodgers).

Leach has built his program to the point where he doesn't need to be begging players who weren't even able to last a season at struggling blue blood schools to transfer in. USC made a mistake in offering Davis and considering his dumpster fire time there (as well as wasting one of the 25 scholarships the school is allowed to award) it would be a mistake for us to offer him now. I'd much rather offer a HS kid with some upside who might not leave the second he misses mommy or hits a bit of adversity.
Why would it be begging? Should the Cougars take back the scholarship from McIntosh because he washed out of Notre Dame. Fact is, we have no reason why he left. If Coach Leach and his staff talk to him and believe that he is worth the risk, then why is it begging? If Leach decides to pass after talking to him, then I do not see a problem either. What I am trying get at is none of us have enough information to make an informed decision.

Deon McIntosh was good enough to see the field before he got booted for an undisclosed violation of team rules. Had success too. If his character checks out, I'm happy to have him.

Why would it be begging? Should the Cougars take back the scholarship from McIntosh because he washed out of Notre Dame. Fact is, we have no reason why he left. If Coach Leach and his staff talk to him and believe that he is worth the risk, then why is it begging? If Leach decides to pass after talking to him, then I do not see a problem either. What I am trying get at is none of us have enough information to make an informed decision.

I have no idea why Bumpus is getting dragged in this thread. He played hard, caught almost everything, made plays, and played hurt. No he was never the route runner Gibson was, but so what? He was a good player who made a worthy contribution, gave good effort, and never had a bad word to say about anybody from what I remember. Sure he wanted to play at SC, he was an LA kid. But that doesn't mean he was some kind of entitled brat that sulked the whole time he was here or some castoff that had no business playing Pac ball, because he was neither of those things. Michael Bumpus was and is a great Coug unless somebody has a reason for me to feel otherwise.

I have no idea why Bumpus is getting dragged in this thread. He played hard, caught almost everything, made plays, and played hurt. No he was never the route runner Gibson was, but so what? He was a good player who made a worthy contribution, gave good effort, and never had a bad word to say about anybody from what I remember. Sure he wanted to play at SC, he was an LA kid. But that doesn't mean he was some kind of entitled brat that sulked the whole time he was here or some castoff that had no business playing Pac ball, because he was neither of those things. Michael Bumpus was and is a great Coug unless somebody has a reason for me to feel otherwise.
Not to mention he played for the Seahawks and makes Seattle his home. He coaches high school football and if you hear him talk, he loves the Cougars and is anything but entitled

Have to agree that anyone who is saying anything remotely negative about Bumpus is just calling themselves out as a poor Coug fan.

No one is calling out Bumpus, ffs. All I said is he was never the top WR on the team while he was here. Jason Hill and Brandon Gibson were both great Cougs too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT