ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball coach gets new contract

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Jen Greeny has agreed to a new contract through the 2023 season. Just as with the soccer coach, the contract technically runs through June 2024, but both VB and soccer are fall sports, so any change would come in Dec./Jan.

Press Release from WSU: "Washington State University and Head Volleyball Coach Jen Greeny have agreed to a new contract, Cougars Director of Athletics Pat Chun announced Friday. The agreement will run through June of 2024.

"We could not be more impressed with the ascension of Cougar Volleyball under Jen Greeny," said Chun. "She has taken the program to levels not seen in nearly two decades, and with three-straight NCAA appearances, including reaching the Round of 16 this past season, Cougar Volleyball could not be in better hands. We look forward to having Jen and her staff leading our volleyball program for many years to come."

Greeny led Washington State to their third consecutive NCAA Championship Tournament appearance, where the Cougars advanced to the Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2002. WSU earned the No. 16 overall seed in the tournament as well, which saw the Cougars host the opening two rounds of play inside Bohler Gym. Washington State defeated defending Big Sky Champions Northern Arizona, and the University of Tennessee, each in four sets to continue on into the regional round. The Cougars ultimately fell to No. 1 overall seed and the 2018 NCAA National Champions, Stanford Cardinal inside Maples Pavilion in the Sweet Sixteen.

Coach Greeny has complied an overall record of 132-130 in eight seasons at WSU and 244-154 in 12 seasons as a head coach. She was also named the 2016 Pac-12 Coach of the Year, and led the Cougars this season to its' highest overall win total (23) since 2002 when WSU recorded 24 total victories.

The 2018 season saw Washington State Volleyball receive numerous awards upon the conclusion of the regular season, as three student-athletes, Taylor Mims, McKenna Woodford, and Jocelyn Urias were all selected as AVCA All-Americans. Associate Head Coach Burdette Greeny was named the Division I AVCA Assistant Coach of the Year to continue the recognition of WSU. Finally the Cougars earned four All-Pac-12 selections, three AVCA All-Region picks, six Pac-12 All-Academic selections, along with Woodford being named to the 2018 Google Cloud Academic All-District® 8 team.

"I would like to thank President Schulz, Pat Chun, and Anne McCoy for their leadership, and for giving me, and my staff the opportunity to continue to build this program," Greeny said. "I would like to thank all of our support staff and most importantly the young women who have helped rebuild this program, and have bought into the vision and fought hard for all we have achieved."

The Cougars will now get back to work during the spring, and look towards the 2019 season to continue building to yet another post-season run."

Last edited:
A good "local girl makes good" story. She has always seemed pretty capable to me, and it is nice to see her at the point with the program where she is building "reload" consistency rather than regularly being in "rebuild" mode.

Good on Chun to extend the contracts of two successful coaches. Good news that both Greeny and Shulenberger feel comfortable with Chun to sign extensions.

You never know how it is going to be with a new supervisor. So, they feel comfortable with him.

Good on Chun to extend the contracts of two successful coaches. Good news that both Greeny and Shulenberger feel comfortable with Chun to sign extensions.

You never know how it is going to be with a new supervisor. So, they feel comfortable with him.

100% agree. Travel 2,200 miles round-trip every weekend to watch Coug football, but combining it with WSU Ladies Soccer and/or Volleyball makes it even better. If you haven’t attended either of these events, I strongly urge you to make the commitment.
Of course a plate of Gizzards and a couple Ale’s @ My Office completes the weekend. Go Cougs!!!

Reactions: Coug1990
Can she do double duty and coach the men's basketball team, too?

Maybe hire Tammy TIbbles, Eileen McManus and Darci Wellsandt for assistants. Go with the full-on Bi-County League staff.

Can't be any worse and at a fraction of the price of CEK.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Observer, as you may know, the Bi-County hoops history is that fundamentals beat everything else and anybody who can't draw a charge doesn't get on the floor. Turnovers are the fastest way to end up on the bench. Footwork is key and body position is where it starts. Fundamentally sound D and ball movement based upon multiple screens. I spent a lot of time in that league (many years ago), and every successful team had the same fundamentals. The tactics changed based upon available personnel, but every team could go seamlessly from man to a variety of zones, and it was routine to go in and out of various press modes. Kids started into hoops in the 5th grade and played essentially the same system all the way through high school. My wife (Reardan) and I (Freeman, back when it was a B school) didn't know each other yet...we met at Wazzu...but we were on opposite sides of some pretty loud basketball games in a league that, at that time, was a hoops-first league.

I mention all this because Jen developed in the same environment. I don't know the others that you mentioned, but if they were Bi-County, then they all share an almost Bennett-esque view of the sport. Give her some kids who can both penetrate and shoot from outside and her approach is going to win games. Unlike our men's program.

Observer, as you may know, the Bi-County hoops history is that fundamentals beat everything else and anybody who can't draw a charge doesn't get on the floor. Turnovers are the fastest way to end up on the bench. Footwork is key and body position is where it starts. Fundamentally sound D and ball movement based upon multiple screens. I spent a lot of time in that league (many years ago), and every successful team had the same fundamentals. The tactics changed based upon available personnel, but every team could go seamlessly from man to a variety of zones, and it was routine to go in and out of various press modes. Kids started into hoops in the 5th grade and played essentially the same system all the way through high school. My wife (Reardan) and I (Freeman, back when it was a B school) didn't know each other yet...we met at Wazzu...but we were on opposite sides of some pretty loud basketball games in a league that, at that time, was a hoops-first league.

I mention all this because Jen developed in the same environment. I don't know the others that you mentioned, but if they were Bi-County, then they all share an almost Bennett-esque view of the sport. Give her some kids who can both penetrate and shoot from outside and her approach is going to win games. Unlike our men's program.

Yup. I attended the REAL State B tournament from a young age. Reardan and St. John (Whitman County League) were the powers at that point. Oakesdale had cool red suede shoes. Watched a bunch of the legendary Brewster games during their 3-peat. Freeman gave them a good battle in one final as I recall.

Played against many of those schools in summer league - as a AAA school, it was our JVs/freshmen against the B school's varsity and usually those were competitive games. Though I still kind of feel bad dropping a hundie on one of the schools from the reservation.

You haven't lived until you've traveled to Selkirk in January, by the way.

Reactions: Alpine Cougar
Yup. I attended the REAL State B tournament from a young age. Reardan and St. John (Whitman County League) were the powers at that point. Oakesdale had cool red suede shoes. Watched a bunch of the legendary Brewster games during their 3-peat. Freeman gave them a good battle in one final as I recall.

Played against many of those schools in summer league - as a AAA school, it was our JVs/freshmen against the B school's varsity and usually those were competitive games. Though I still kind of feel bad dropping a hundie on one of the schools from the reservation.

You haven't lived until you've traveled to Selkirk in January, by the way.
Yup travel in the NCW B league is brutal. Orville anyone?

In the GSL, we traveled all the way to the Coliseum for triple headers. Maybe an occasional trek all the way to Central Valley or Mead.

The crazy part was back then we drove ourselves to games. I can recall driving to CV in a total whiteout, drifting snow and all. 16, 17 years old. These days the liability to the school would be through the roof.

Reactions: kougkurt
My daughter is currently a cheerleader in Odessa. I live in Yakima, the Palm Springs of Washington. I go to a lot of her games. So yea, the travel is still brutal for those kids. It's pretty tough for those rural B schools.

Reactions: Observer11
Yes, Observer, I was at that Freeman/Brewster game in the spring of '74. And while we are on that topic....

...'79, that same school year (the previous fall) Freeman and Odessa were the top Bi-County football schools. We won the league by beating them late in the season in the most nail-biting football game I was ever a part of. That Odessa team had some great athletes. Unfortunately we could not get by Oakesdale in the playoffs, and didn't get to be in the inaugural Kingdome playoff season. That was a real disappointment.

Reactions: 79COUG
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT