ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball getting drilled

Stretch 74

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
Lost 1st set 25-20, faded away late, getting closed out in second set, been down by 10 most of the set. Getting outplayed badly.

Good start, really ugly set 2. Babcock (#5, believe a true frosh from California) just was killing us on her serve in the 2nd set. Norville couldn't get out of the way on a serve that was headed out of bounds.

Last edited:
This was a team that beat two #2 seeds (Texas and Oregon) 3-1 on the road to start the year, rose to #3 in the rankings, but at some point turned into a team that lost 4 of 5, including to a bad 6-14 Oregon State team at home, and were never the same again. Normally with a sweet 16 appearance you say great job, but with the, once in a generation, talent and experience this team had, you have to wonder what the hell happened.

This was a team that beat two #2 seeds (Texas and Oregon) 3-1 on the road to start the year, rose to #3 in the rankings, but at some point turned into a team that lost 4 of 5, including to a bad 6-14 Oregon State team at home, and were never the same again. Normally with a sweet 16 appearance you say great job, but with the, once in a generation, talent and experience this team had, you have to wonder what the hell happened.

It could just be that Pitt is just a damned good team and they had a freshman playing out of her damned mind. It's important to remember that once in a generation talent for WSU is just another year's roster for a lot of other programs.

FWIW, we went 7-0 after that rough stretch including two wins over Top 25 teams and four sweeps. I think that's a pretty good recovery from a slump. It's disappointing to see us get crushed to finish the season, but it's insane to think it's some kind of indictment on Jen Greeny. We are lucky to have her.

Everyone can be beaten, lighten up

It could just be that Pitt is just a damned good team and they had a freshman playing out of her damned mind. It's important to remember that once in a generation talent for WSU is just another year's roster for a lot of other programs.

FWIW, we went 7-0 after that rough stretch including two wins over Top 25 teams and four sweeps. I think that's a pretty good recovery from a slump. It's disappointing to see us get crushed to finish the season, but it's insane to think it's some kind of indictment on Jen Greeny. We are lucky to have her.
I think that's the case here. While we beat some good program this year, Louisville (#4 then, 2-seed now) drilled us early in the season in similar fashion to the Pitt match. It's really really tough to get to the Elite 8 in any sport. What makes WVB (WBB as well) even more difficult is you are typically playing a true away match (or game) to get to the Elite 8/Final 4.

Oh please, we went from a clear #1 seed, dominating #2 seeds on the road, to losing to one of the worst teams in the conference, at home. So you attack me for "indicting" the coach, by bad mouthing the "just another roster" of players? The "just another roster" of players were picked by the coaches to finish "#2" in the conference, behind Stanford. I was indicting no one!!! I didn't mention Greeny, nor take a shot at our players, like you did.

I still wonder why a team playing to its potential, and as projected, slipped. This was a team that beat BYU, Baylor, Texas and Oregon, all 3-1, over a 3 week stretch. What the hell happened?

Oh please, we went from a clear #1 seed, dominating #2 seeds on the road, to losing to one of the worst teams in the conference, at home. So you attack me for "indicting" the coach, by bad mouthing the "just another roster" of players? The "just another roster" of players were picked by the coaches to finish "#2" in the conference, behind Stanford. I was indicting no one!!! I didn't mention Greeny, nor take a shot at our players, like you did.

I still wonder why a team playing to its potential, and as projected, slipped. This was a team that beat BYU, Baylor, Texas and Oregon, all 3-1, over a 3 week stretch. What the hell happened?

College sports is fickle?

How did Leach lose to terrible teams on an almost yearly basis?

How the hell did Texas lose in 2021 to a KU football team that had lost 18 straight Big 12 conference games?

How did Top 10 Oklahoma lose to a run of the mill KU team this year that had lost 2 out of 3 games before that game?

How did TCU lose to what turned out to be a mediocre Colorado team that lost 8 out of its last 9 games?

If UW is so great, why did they struggle to beat so many mediocre teams this year? How did they get a 20-3 lead over Oregon after struggling for several weeks?

How did UCLA lose to 3-9 ASU but beat USC?

Why do hundreds of upsets happen every year in sports?

Maybe you should quit trying to find ways to be a hater? We won 7 straight games prior to losing to a Top 5 program on the road. Pitt will win the whole damned thing if they continue to play like they did today. It's okay to just accept that sometimes....teams are going to lose without trying to make it a thing.

College sports is fickle?

How did Leach lose to terrible teams on an almost yearly basis?

How the hell did Texas lose in 2021 to a KU football team that had lost 18 straight Big 12 conference games?

How did Top 10 Oklahoma lose to a run of the mill KU team this year that had lost 2 out of 3 games before that game?

How did TCU lose to what turned out to be a mediocre Colorado team that lost 8 out of its last 9 games?

If UW is so great, why did they struggle to beat so many mediocre teams this year? How did they get a 20-3 lead over Oregon after struggling for several weeks?

How did UCLA lose to 3-9 ASU but beat USC?

Why do hundreds of upsets happen every year in sports?

Maybe you should quit trying to find ways to be a hater? We won 7 straight games prior to losing to a Top 5 program on the road. Pitt will win the whole damned thing if they continue to play like they did today. It's okay to just accept that sometimes....teams are going to lose without trying to make it a thing.
Flat, did CougEd steal your handle? Ya kinda are sounding like him. :)

Flat, did CougEd steal your handle? Ya kinda are sounding like him. :)
LOL.

I just think it’s asinine for one of our fans to imply that our best volleyball coach in a generation should be judged on one bad loss.

We’ve been to eight straight NCAA tournaments, longest in the soon to be dead conference, and we should be pissed that we lost to Oregon State?

Frankly, he sounds like a f#cking Husky fan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT