ADVERTISEMENT

Vs Cal

Rich Lewis

Hall Of Fame
Nov 7, 2001
Not much to say. Team is playing great. Rice looks to be on his way to 4 pac-12 freshman of the week awards in a row. Heart got to take a rest on this one.

Reactions: kougkurt and Coug90
Up huge in second half. Ten minute mark up 20, 5 minute mark up 20. Where is the bench? Do not desire to have a needless injury this close to the dance and ruin a good season.
That being said, good hustle, sharing the ball, very enjoyable game to watch. Glad there were more butts in the seats for this team.

Not much to say. Team is playing great. Rice looks to be on his way to 4 pac-12 freshman of the week awards in a row. Heart got to take a rest on this one.
Great game. Will be interested to see the attendance figures.

One bitch. Near the end of the game, we are up 20. Yet we don't put in the scrubs - like the guys that will be on the court next year? Our non-starters - 4 and 41 minutes (pretty much our #6 and 7 guys). Cal - 6 players, 61 minutes.

Yeah I know. I remember when we had AZ down by 10 with a minute to go and they beat us. But still....

Cool to see them take care of business like that tonight. Could have been a big letdown spot after the 3 road wins and big win at Oregon. This team is all business. Fun to have a wire to wire beat down for a change too.

Felt the same on getting the bench in to cut minutes for the starters. One potential factor? The NET, etc. probably likes blowouts regardless of quad whatever.

One bitch. Near the end of the game, we are up 20. Yet we don't put in the scrubs - like the guys that will be on the court next year? Our non-starters - 4 and 41 minutes (pretty much our #6 and 7 guys). Cal - 6 players, 61 minutes.

Yeah I know. I remember when we had AZ down by 10 with a minute to go and they beat us. But still....
2744 attendance

So many of WSU teams in the past have gotten the fan base excited then dropped the proverbial ball, this team so far has won most of those “big” games. They seem to be able to find ways to win. There is a lot to be said about confidence, thinking your going to win every game and this team seams to have that attitude

You're not wrong.

Shit happens - injuries, bad refs (fouls), illness. If you have a chance to get rotation guys in you do it, imho. Sooner or later they'll be on the court as a starter, so why not give them a leg up if the opportunity presents itself?

Felt the same on getting the bench in to cut minutes for the starters. One potential factor? The NET, etc. probably likes blowouts regardless of quad whatever.
Unfortunately, the NET rankings put more emphasis than it should on margin of victory (as well as non-conference strength of schedule). I can see where Smith felt it was important to have at least one large margin of victory when he had the chance. It's all part of the effort to improve the NET and get into the tournament.

Glad Cougar

You're not wrong.

Shit happens - injuries, bad refs (fouls), illness. If you have a chance to get rotation guys in you do it, imho. Sooner or later they'll be on the court as a starter, so why not give them a leg up if the opportunity presents itself?
that was odd. At the under four they should have just done an entire line change. So a 20 point win turns into 12 or 14 worst case. Someone mentioned the net/kenpom stuff that takes margin of victory into account, I suppose that might have been why. It’s stupid if it’s that big of a factor and speaks more to that should be changed so teams don’t feel like they have to run up the score.

that was odd. At the under four they should have just done an entire line change. So a 20 point win turns into 12 or 14 worst case. Someone mentioned the net/kenpom stuff that takes margin of victory into account, I suppose that might have been why. It’s stupid if it’s that big of a factor and speaks more to that should be changed so teams don’t feel like they have to run up the score.
Margin of victory is massive for Kenpom and NET. Putting in the role players at any point the rest of the way would be coaching malpractice and a massive mistake.

I agree that Smith should have gone to the bench earlier. I would have gotten Rice out of there for sure but there aren't a lot of ball handling options on the bench. Is Darling completely done for the year?

Margin of victory is massive for Kenpom and NET. Putting in the role players at any point the rest of the way would be coaching malpractice and a massive mistake.
Scoring margin is capped at 10 points for NET. I don't see where KenPom uses scoring margin at all these days (link below). You are welcome.

I agree that Smith should have gone to the bench earlier. I would have gotten Rice out of there for sure but there aren't a lot of ball handling options on the bench. Is Darling completely done for the year?

A lot of that is Yesufu being injured, and supposedly still being injured.

Don't know what Yesufu's injury is that has kept him out of the rotation lineup.

I know that Yesufu's production, scoring, shooting percentage has been down in past in this season.

But Yesufu is, was kind of like UCLA's 3 ppg, 3 assist per game Cameron Dollar.

Cam Dollar did a good job of ball handling and settlings things down, and controlling things like pace, tempo, etc.

Yesufu is kinda like that. And if Yesufu has been in game, WSU might not have lost to Cal.

Hopefully WSU gets Yesufu back as a rotational bench player for when they are up 20 with 4 minutes left, etc.

A lot of that is Yesufu being injured, and supposedly still being injured.

Don't know what Yesufu's injury is that has kept him out of the rotation lineup.

I know that Yesufu's production, scoring, shooting percentage has been down in past in this season.

But Yesufu is, was kind of like UCLA's 3 ppg, 3 assist per game Cameron Dollar.

Cam Dollar did a good job of ball handling and settlings things down, and controlling things like pace, tempo, etc.

Yesufu is kinda like that. And if Yesufu has been in game, WSU might not have lost to Cal.

Hopefully WSU gets Yesufu back as a rotational bench player for when they are up 20 with 4 minutes left, etc.
Yesufu was ruled out for the season shortly after his injury.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT