ADVERTISEMENT

Weather forecast for AC??

Looks good right now. I’m not worried about it though Gordon was slinging it against Colorado in awful weather. Think we are good either way.

Reactions: ShockandAweWSU
Blizzard

any chance CP gets fired with a loss here ?
No. But if there aren’t changes to the staff and even the philosophy on the offensive side of the ball next year, I’d be pretty surprised. Win or lose.

Wazzu, however, has to prove it can deal with the Huskies in any form, having lost six straight Apple Cups. Or it can pray for a repeat of last year’s snowstorm, just for a handy excuse.

But at least one Coug isn’t looking for one.

C’mon, Max. Tell us the score.

“No score,” Borghi said. “But I will be scoring a lot.”

You better listen to the Guarantee Kid. He’s on a roll.

Wazzu, however, has to prove it can deal with the Huskies in any form, having lost six straight Apple Cups. Or it can pray for a repeat of last year’s snowstorm, just for a handy excuse.

But at least one Coug isn’t looking for one.

C’mon, Max. Tell us the score.

“No score,” Borghi said. “But I will be scoring a lot.”

You better listen to the Guarantee Kid. He’s on a roll.
Even if there is weather, Gordon already proved he can sling it in bad weather. UWs receivers can’t catch dry footballs. I think rain would actually favor us. No excuses this year

Even if there is weather, Gordon already proved he can sling it in bad weather. UWs receivers can’t catch dry footballs. I think rain would actually favor us. No excuses this year
I’m not going to be shocked by any outcome, but the teams we lost to were all genuinely committed to getting production out of their running games. And our mostly brand new starting defense is 110 yards and 10 points per game better than yours. Defense is more significant than offense in my opinion. So gun to my head, I’d bet on us.

I’m not going to be shocked by any outcome, but the teams we lost to were all genuinely committed to getting production out of their running games. And our mostly brand new starting defense is 110 yards and 10 points per game better than yours. Defense is more significant than offense in my opinion. So gun to my head, I’d bet on us.
I wouldn’t argue with that. This Coug team is up and down.

I still don’t subscribe to the “Jimmy Lake has the magic air raid potion” BS. If this offense brings their A game they will score plenty on this version of UWs defense.

Also, other than maybe Moss UW hasn’t seen a RB as good as Borghi. We will need to find success in the run game to win, no question.

I don’t buy the logic, as comparing defenses doesn’t make a lot of sense. But playing in Seattle and on a 6 game losing streak, there’s no way to argue with the conclusion.

Our D is our D, and they’re going to give up yards and points. If they could have a showing like they did the first 3.8 quarters against Oregon, I think we could pull it out. But since they’ve only performed like that once this season, and couldn’t even keep it going the full game I’m not betting on it.

Then add in the fact that our O doesn’t play as well on the road, I think the smart money says we’re a significant underdog in this one. Wouldn’t surprise me if the line opens as a 2 score difference (10-11, not 14).

No. But if there aren’t changes to the staff and even the philosophy on the offensive side of the ball next year, I’d be pretty surprised. Win or lose.
Is it possible Eason was just not the horse UW should have hitched its wagon to this year?

I went to UGA as well and we had the same roller coaster of waiting for the kid to get it, and he never did. He had elite OL protection and an elite running/play action game at Georgia and could never put it together.

Opening Vegas Line : 65 1/2 over under, Cougars are 10 point underdogs
I’d probably actually bet the under and Cougs to cover. I think it’s gonna be a 27-24, 30-27 type of game. Strength on strength and weakness on weakness.

While asking "is this the year we get a break in the weather" gives us an undeserved pass on the last several years of lousy AC performances, classifying weather as an "excuse" is equally inappropriate. I understand why it feels dirty when one prides themselves on being fair, but it is not necessary to pretend that all offensive schemes are equally suited for all conditions.

If I build my car for straightline acceleration and top speed but it can't handle, that's great on Nurburgring until it rains. Then a car built for cornering and slalom - which may be comparatively disadvantaged in clear weather - is the leader in the clubhouse. It's not an "excuse."

While asking "is this the year we get a break in the weather" gives us an undeserved pass on the last several years of lousy AC performances, classifying weather as an "excuse" is equally inappropriate. I understand why it feels dirty when one prides themselves on being fair, but it is not necessary to pretend that all offensive schemes are equally suited for all conditions.

If I build my car for straightline acceleration and top speed but it can't handle, that's great on Nurburgring until it rains. Then a car built for cornering and slalom - which may be comparatively disadvantaged in clear weather - is the leader in the clubhouse. It's not an "excuse."
Well, we’ve also played several of these games with our starting QB out or injured. Nobody is saying we win all of those, but it’s fair to say that in a stretch of games one team can run into some significant bad luck. UW has and will continue to win 70% of these games over time. Without some crappy circumstances it’s not unreasonable to assume we may have won a couple of those games and been closer to the historical average over the past decade.

Likewise at some point UW will have some crappy luck over a stretch, and we will win 5 or 6 out of 10.

The fact that UW just dropped a game to crappy CU changes nothing for me. UW comes to play every year while we routinely come out flat. It wouldn't be the first year they looked vulnerable before stomping us out in the AC.

It is like watching the same chess game play out exactly the same way, ending with the same checkmate move, every year. We cannot learn. And following the game, I expect the same debate where we learn that there are only two options: keep on losing the same way with the same inflexible strategy, or fire Leach and re-hire Wulff. There is no middle ground such as "adapt".

I honestly feel like Eason is the wild card. If he craps the bed we have a good shot.

PS the Jimmy Lake hate can stop until we can point to a single victory; however, I give him no credit for inheriting the Wilcoxian defense which has stymied us always and everywhere.

Reactions: 79COUG
Well, we’ve also played several of these games with our starting QB out or injured. Nobody is saying we win all of those, but it’s fair to say that in a stretch of games one team can run into some significant bad luck. UW has and will continue to win 70% of these games over time. Without some crappy circumstances it’s not unreasonable to assume we may have won a couple of those games and been closer to the historical average over the past decade.

Likewise at some point UW will have some crappy luck over a stretch, and we will win 5 or 6 out of 10.
I don't think we disagree. I'll bet we win 2 of those if we go into the AC with the people/conditions that got us to that point, and are competitive in a few more losses, but otherwise, we are who our record says we are.

The fact that UW just dropped a game to crappy CU changes nothing for me. UW comes to play every year while we routinely come out flat. It wouldn't be the first year they looked vulnerable before stomping us out in the AC.

It is like watching the same chess game play out exactly the same way, ending with the same checkmate move, every year. We cannot learn. And following the game, I expect the same debate where we learn that there are only two options: keep on losing the same way with the same inflexible strategy, or fire Leach and re-hire Wulff. There is no middle ground such as "adapt".

I honestly feel like Eason is the wild card. If he craps the bed we have a good shot.

PS the Jimmy Lake hate can stop until we can point to a single victory; however, I give him no credit for inheriting the Wilcoxian defense which has stymied us always and everywhere.
Jimmy Lake is a very good DC. No hate from me. It’s more the idea that the Air Raid has no chance against a jimmy lake scheme. 1. There’s a little thing called game tape and other teams deploy the same basic scheme and still get shredded. 2. UWs roster turns over every year just like every other team. Some years their talent is better than others. I’m not convinced this defense can’t get burned by us right now as I just don’t think they are as talented as years past. Will I bet on it? Hell no, but I don’t think it’s mission impossible either.

Oregons defense is statistically much better overall and against the pass, and we should have put up 40+ on them in Autzen.

Jimmy Lake is a very good DC. No hate from me. It’s more the idea that the Air Raid has no chance against a jimmy lake scheme. 1. There’s a little thing called game tape and other teams deploy the same basic scheme and still get shredded. 2. UWs roster turns over every year just like every other team. Some years their talent is better than others. I’m not convinced this defense can’t get burned by us right now as I just don’t think they are as talented as years past. Will I bet on it? Hell no, but I don’t think it’s mission impossible either.
OK. I'm not sure if you think I'm commenting @ you, but I'm not.

Is it possible Eason was just not the horse UW should have hitched its wagon to this year?

I went to UGA as well and we had the same roller coaster of waiting for the kid to get it, and he never did. He had elite OL protection and an elite running/play action game at Georgia and could never put it together.
I thought that from the beginning. I don’t know what CP has against a true running threat QB. I would have probably preferred Yankoff. But he never really got an opportunity that I’m aware of.

Cougs have to slow down the running game to have a chance. Haven't seen them really do that yet.

Cougs have to slow down the running game to have a chance. Haven't seen them really do that yet.
Throw out all of the other theories about this game and why the Cougs can't win it. This ^^^ is the real reason and it also drives the Husky fans nuts. They abandon the run early in games to their own detriment all season, but come AC, they magically rediscover it and it's game over. We have been so bad against the run in recent times that they almost have no choice but to run on us. The number of 10+ yard running plays makes it easy for them to stay with it and then kill us with a couple play action broken coverage big plays. It's the real reason we have no shot to win it every year. The offense has to play perfect to even have a chance. This year probably won't be any different without more than 2 turn overs from them. Ahmed will break at least 1 long run/TD run.

Reactions: random soul
Colorado sacked Eason 4 times through the first TWO quarters. Threw the husky offense out of sync. Our O will be fine. This game will be determined by our defense. And that scares me.

They did against Stanford! Course I think Cardinal are down to their third string OLine in some places.

I think UW will run all over us as always.

Throw out all of the other theories about this game and why the Cougs can't win it. This ^^^ is the real reason and it also drives the Husky fans nuts. They abandon the run early in games to their own detriment all season, but come AC, they magically rediscover it and it's game over. We have been so bad against the run in recent times that they almost have no choice but to run on us. The number of 10+ yard running plays makes it easy for them to stay with it and then kill us with a couple play action broken coverage big plays. It's the real reason we have no shot to win it every year. The offense has to play perfect to even have a chance. This year probably won't be any different without more than 2 turn overs from them. Ahmed will break at least 1 long run/TD run.
Yeah I think defensively you need to sell out on the run and hope Eason makes a few mistakes. I mean Colorado’s defense is pretty crappy and OSUs is no great shakes and they both held UWs offense in check...would think considering talent wise WSUs defense is in the same vicinity as those two would probably be pretty good blueprints. But I’m not convinced we can take that, coach it, and execute it from what I’ve seen.

Here is the problem I see with the Apple Cup, it’s the offense, at home they Average 51.75 point a game, on the road almost 1/2 if that 25.5 points per game. Agreed the road games were against the better defenses in the league, but that is a huge gap.

SRX_WSUUW_040_TT_t1140.jpg

usa_today_11722601.jpg

Reactions: chipdouglas
I wouldn’t argue with that. This Coug team is up and down.

I still don’t subscribe to the “Jimmy Lake has the magic air raid potion” BS. If this offense brings their A game they will score plenty on this version of UWs defense.

Also, other than maybe Moss UW hasn’t seen a RB as good as Borghi. We will need to find success in the run game to win, no question.

I dont think there is a magic potion. I think there are two staffs that know the scheme and the man. Kind of like playing poker and being able to narrow down what you think your opponent has and then knowing how they play those cards.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT