ADVERTISEMENT

Well... Thoughts?

If I remember correctly, this kid was not very accurate throwing the ball. While it would be great to have the maturity of a fifth year graduate transfer in the QB room I doubt Leach would be interested because he values accuracy #1 in his QBs.

He would not have time to learn the offense anyway.

Id absolutely take him. He wasn't great at Stanford, but I think Leach could get something productive out of him. He's got a ton of experience. If anything, he'd be a nice fill in while our younger guys get a much needed additional year in the system before being thrown into the fire.

Agree with the thoughts that we need a QB who isn't trying to learn the system when he's thrown to the wolves regardless of his age. I'm excited for the future with Cam Cooper, but I'd prefer that he redshirt this year. It may actually be good for our fans for this to be a rough year. You know that the fans have lost touch with reality when they are unhappy with 9-4 (even if it did suck with the way it played out). Give us a 5-7 or 6-6 season to remind us that anything over 8 wins is something to be happy with.

I agree, Cam should redshirt. I would think we might get a grad transfer, to come in and provide leadership and depth.

RIP to Hilinski. Still hard to believe.....

I agree, Cam should redshirt. I would think we might get a grad transfer, to come in and provide leadership and depth.

RIP to Hilinski. Still hard to believe.....

The only way a grad transfer would help is if they were coming from a like system and were here for Spring ball.

The only way a grad transfer would help is if they were coming from a like system and were here for Spring ball.

I would still like to see a JC or grad transfer. It's highly likely that another guy is going to be needed for meaningful PT if a freshman starts.

I would still like to see a JC or grad transfer. It's highly likely that another guy is going to be needed for meaningful PT if a freshman starts.

I agree that Leach will need to have two quarterbacks ready to start regardless. It may have to come from what we have this Spring.

I agree that Leach will need to have two quarterbacks ready to start regardless. It may have to come from what we have this Spring.

I think we are just fine at QB. As of next Fall:

Tinsley - RS Junior. 2 year in the system
Bledsoe - True Soph. 1 year in the system. Drew's son
Neville - True Soph. 1 year in the system. 4? star out of HS
Gordon - RS Junior. 2 years in the system. Impressive JC stats as Freshman
Brink - RS Soph. 2? years in the system. Is he related to Alex?
Cooper. True Frosh. Spring ball in system. 4 star recruit

Somebody(ies) has/have a chance to grab the job between now and Fall. Neville and Cooper have the obvious edge, stature-wise, and I don't know anything about the others nut they have all been around the program.

Look at Luke. A walk on. Had thrown all of 2 passes as a RS freshman before becoming the starter, and winning Pac-12 POW in his second start. The last thing we need is to have some 1 and done guy come in and throw a wrench in the works.

We've had a lot of success over the past few years, so personally, I'll be OK with us starting a freshman QB this year and taking our lumps accordingly.

We've had a lot of success over the past few years, so personally, I'll be OK with us starting a freshman QB this year and taking our lumps accordingly.

Alabama and I just sort of chuckled at this. Of course I guess their Freshman QB didn't "start" the NC game...... :cool:

Somebody(ies) has/have a chance to grab the job between now and Fall. Neville and Cooper have the obvious edge, stature-wise, and I don't know anything about the others nut they have all been around the program.

Look at Luke. A walk on. Had thrown all of 2 passes as a RS freshman before becoming the starter, and winning Pac-12 POW in his second start. The last thing we need is to have some 1 and done guy come in and throw a wrench in the works.

None of those guys have thrown a single pass and half of them are walk ons. I mean, being totally objective, you have to rank WSU's QB situation 12 out of 12 heading into the season, right? I mean, maybe you could argue we're ahead of OSU, I guess.

Alabama and I just sort of chuckled at this. Of course I guess their Freshman QB didn't "start" the NC game...... :cool:

Their QB was also the #1 recruit in the country and largely thought of as one of the top QB prospects in recent memory, wasn't he?

Those guys are still the exception to the rule.

Brink is the one I forgot. Bledsoe and Neville should be red shirt freshman. I am sure Leach will find two out of the group. Falk is not Leach's first walk-on starter either. May the best two win.

None of those guys have thrown a single pass and half of them are walk ons. I mean, being totally objective, you have to rank WSU's QB situation 12 out of 12 heading into the season, right? I mean, maybe you could argue we're ahead of OSU, I guess.

Yeah you are right. Falk was a highly rated blue chip scholarship athlete and had thrown hundreds of passes in games before he became the starter.

Oh wait. He was a walk on. Oh wait, he had thrown 2 passes before becoming the starter.

But seriously, on paper we are completely inexperienced and probably deserve a 12 of 12 ranking. On the other hand, we have 2 four star QB's on the roster along with Drew Bledsoe's son. All of whom will get a s-load of reps between now and the first game. There will be growing pains, that is for sure. But a lot of upside and a lot of competition.

I agree that our QB situation went from middle of the conference to the bottom tier with Tyler's death last week. I'm not sure that bringing in a hot shot with no experience in the system really changes things in a meaningful way. I wouldn't turn down someone like Eason or Chryst but I wouldn't worry if we don't get them. When we look at the big picture, experience for one of the QB's on our roster is going to be a good thing and if Leach is worth his salary, I'd like to think that we can be mediocre with one of the young guys.

As I said above, a 6-6 season with a bowl win over a crappy team (if we don't choke away double digit leads) might be a good thing this year anyway. It would be great to see the team dedicate the season to Hilinski and have a great year, but at this point, I think we just accept whatever happens and focus on the future.

I agree that our QB situation went from middle of the conference to the bottom tier with Tyler's death last week. I'm not sure that bringing in a hot shot with no experience in the system really changes things in a meaningful way. I wouldn't turn down someone like Eason or Chryst but I wouldn't worry if we don't get them. When we look at the big picture, experience for one of the QB's on our roster is going to be a good thing and if Leach is worth his salary, I'd like to think that we can be mediocre with one of the young guys.

As I said above, a 6-6 season with a bowl win over a crappy team (if we don't choke away double digit leads) might be a good thing this year anyway. It would be great to see the team dedicate the season to Hilinski and have a great year, but at this point, I think we just accept whatever happens and focus on the future.

I think it is highly unlikely we will be mediocre. It may require two young (inexperienced) quarterback splitting the position until one shows they can handle it. The reason for the split would be there getting coaching on the sideline to talk about what they may not be seeing.

I find it far more worrisome that the majority of our WR corps is under 6'. Patmon looked good at times, hopefully he can step up and be a big target that takes some pressure off of the QB to hit small windows. Bell and/ or Calvin have the hands to be Cracraft x 2, so that's a positive as well. The team as a whole is going to have a whole lot of growing up to do over the next 8 months.

I find it far more worrisome that the majority of our WR corps is under 6'. Patmon looked good at times, hopefully he can step up and be a big target that takes some pressure off of the QB to hit small windows. Bell and/ or Calvin have the hands to be Cracraft x 2, so that's a positive as well. The team as a whole is going to have a whole lot of growing up to do over the next 8 months.

The incoming Texas receivers should have run a similar offense in high school, so they should be able to block. The question would be is their bodies ready to handle the wear and tear PAC 12 ball. The receivers are getting taller in each class, if they are being honest in their reporting.

I like your thinking. I would imagine that Leach will ride Patmon pretty hard this Spring as he will be counted on and become much more consistent.

Yeah you are right. Falk was a highly rated blue chip scholarship athlete and had thrown hundreds of passes in games before he became the starter.

Oh wait. He was a walk on. Oh wait, he had thrown 2 passes before becoming the starter.

But seriously, on paper we are completely inexperienced and probably deserve a 12 of 12 ranking. On the other hand, we have 2 four star QB's on the roster along with Drew Bledsoe's son. All of whom will get a s-load of reps between now and the first game. There will be growing pains, that is for sure. But a lot of upside and a lot of competition.

But going into the 2015 season Falk had three starts under his belt. You see the difference?

But going into the 2015 season Falk had three starts under his belt. You see the difference?

Leach at TT showed a preference for quarterbacks that had been in his system a couple years. In Falk's case he did not have a choice. He may not this time either.

I would like to be the first to point out that Mele was a RB coach prior to coming to WSU. So Leach has flexibility to bring in a ST coach or promote within, if that is his best option. I would prefer a strong African American coach with an outgoing personality and high energy for recruiting purposes.

Last edited:
We really don't know that yet. Did anyone give Falk a chance going into the season? What if Tinsley come on during spring ball and into the fall? The problem with developing talent is that you automatically discount talent. That's why they only where their last name on their helmet during spring-fall ball and not something like "4 star recruit" or "walk-on....don't give me chance".

The QB position will be fine. There are some QB s with a lot of potential in the list.The first few games will be for experience and preparation for the PAC 12 season.

Reactions: Tx64

Falk actually had 3 starts under his belt when he entered a season as the starter. I mean, obviously guys have to throw their first pass sometime.

And I don't think I have to remind anyone that Luke Falks & Baker Mayfields are the exception to the rule. If you enter every season starting a walk on at QB, you're going to be pretty bad 9 years out of 10.

We will be fine at QB. We won't have a guy who can carry the team on his back, and we may have a few more TO's than we'd like, but even with a rookie QB we will be in the upper half of the league in most categories, and upper 1/3 in some. Our season will be just as dependent upon D and special teams.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
The QB position will be fine. There are some QB s with a lot of potential in the list.The first few games will be for experience and preparation for the PAC 12 season.

This is a good positive post by you. Please remember this when the quarterback struggles some. Who ever we have out there it will be the best Leach thinks he has.

This is a good positive post by you. Please remember this when the quarterback struggles some. Who ever we have out there it will be the best Leach thinks he has.
First time that I too can recall ElC posting optimistically about our quarterbacks. But remember that the potential starters are all backups and ElC loves backup quarterbacks. Waiting here to see how this unfolds in the Fall.

Looks like those of you that suggested a graduate transfer at quarterback were on to something. Leach appears to be at least entertaining the idea.

You can't ignore JC or transfer talent. Especially at the QB position.

WSU needs another bowl game. If it's a one and done kid, fine. For f@cks sake WSU has a lot of guys they only get one good year out of. Who cares if it's a kid from somewhere else? He's a Coug now.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Regardless of who the QB is,I do believe they will have run the ball more due to the inexperience, or lack of time in the offense at the QB position. Depth at running back and an offensive lane that should be above average should help. Will also put less stress on the defense that appears light up front

I’m not sure I see where the optimism on offense is coming from. We’ll have a new starter at QB, likely an underclassman with no experience. We’ll have 2 new starters in the primary receiving corps, with none returning who have proven to be consistently reliable. We’ll have only one returning RB with any significant experience. And, we’ll be replacing 3 out of 5 on an OL that has never shown an ability to run block and has occasionally shown an inability to pass protect for 3 seconds. In other words, every part of the offense has significant question marks, and I don’t see any returning leadership on that side.

I’m not sure I see where the optimism on offense is coming from. We’ll have a new starter at QB, likely an underclassman with no experience. We’ll have 2 new starters in the primary receiving corps, with none returning who have proven to be consistently reliable. We’ll have only one returning RB with any significant experience. And, we’ll be replacing 3 out of 5 on an OL that has never shown an ability to run block and has occasionally shown an inability to pass protect for 3 seconds. In other words, every part of the offense has significant question marks, and I don’t see any returning leadership on that side.

Completely agree. The best thing for the offense this year would be a QB or coach that called a great game. Meaning, ran when they expected pass, passed when they expected run, called draws and screens to take heat off the pass rush, ran the QB to force 1 more defender in the box, had a legitimate read option and had some kind of play action run or pass series. You know, a certain level of moxy and savvy.

This year Leach earns his $.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT