ADVERTISEMENT

What do Jake Dickert and Dabo Swinney have in common?

Cougsocal

Hall Of Fame
Sep 5, 2010
Both were elevated from interim to head coach before they reached 40 years of age. Dabo had been a receivers coach before hand. Dabo went 4-3 to secure the head job. The WSU job is a much tougher gig to be successful, but success can be had from auditioned coaches. We knew that we weren't going to be able to lure a big name coach because of finances and because the Leach hire was a once in a generation opportunity. Hiring the Fresno State or Nevada coaches might have worked, they might have been successful, we can, and probably will, second guess it, but the coach we hired pulled off a 16.5 upset on the road, one of the largest ever against the spread, and the biggest beat down of the Dawgs in school history in a "toss up" game, on the road. He accomplished this with a team picked to finish last in the north, while the interim coaches at schools picked to compete for the Pac-12 title couldn't come close to that success.

Will Jake Dickert be successful, only time will time? But the kid (I get to call him a kid because he was born when I was attending WSU) was given the chance to prove what he could do and win the job, and he passed the audition. He flat out earn the job.

Last edited:
I was the first poster on here who made the comparison between Dickert and Dabo, and I'd like the record to reflect that moving forward.

Acknowledged, along w/being President of the JDL fan club 😀
Speaking of the JDL fan club---The Seattle Times this morning quoted Dickert commenting on his offensive philosophy as saying, "I think the biggest philosophy I have on offense is players over plays. We are going to center this around Jayden and his development and what he can do in the future. He is just blossoming into what he can become. I think there is a certain level of expectation that we all have of having an explosive offense here at Washington State, using our speed and our athleticism but being uniquely different."

Reactions: sellas
Speaking of the JDL fan club---The Seattle Times this morning quoted Dickert commenting on his offensive philosophy as saying, "I think the biggest philosophy I have on offense is players over plays. We are going to center this around Jayden and his development and what he can do in the future. He is just blossoming into what he can become. I think there is a certain level of expectation that we all have of having an explosive offense here at Washington State, using our speed and our athleticism but being uniquely different."
Can't recruit to a statement like that.

WSU has had a defined offensive philosophy going back to 1978 with the noted exception of four years earlier this century when recruiting "was at a level never seen before".

Hope this statement just awaits selection of the OC.

Reactions: roses04

WSU has had a defined offensive philosophy going back to 1978 with the noted exception of four years earlier this century when recruiting "was at a level never seen before".

I agree and I think part of the problem is he doesn't have his OC firmed up or the OC can't commit at this point. There was one person mentioned earlier at the OC, and he has a playoff game tomorrow, so maybe we find out next week.

Dabo worked at Bama and Clemson for consistent years (yes, I know he had his broker sabbatical in between). I see where the comparison is, but I don't think it parallels well. He'd been at Clemson 5 seasons before getting the interim tag, so he wasn't necessarily starting from the ground up.

Dabo worked at Bama and Clemson for consistent years (yes, I know he had his broker sabbatical in between). I see where the comparison is, but I don't think it parallels well. He'd been at Clemson 5 seasons before getting the interim tag, so he wasn't necessarily starting from the ground up.
It is renewal of the Paul Wulff testimonial that Ohio State hired Jim Tressel out of FCS Youngstown State and he did well (but ignoring that Tressel had been a tOSU assistant previously and Wulff had zero FBS level coaching experience).

Now that Jim Tressel is back at Youngstown State as university president, why hasn't Eastern Washington University brought Paul Wulff as university president?

Reactions: Suudy

I don't disagree with you about a need for a defined OC, but Dickert's quote isn't wrong. He's heading into his first season with a clear QB1 and a kid who has a unique skill set. Whichever direction we go, be it the RnS, AirRaid, a hybrid; we have to build around what JDL does well and expand the offense accordingly.

Reactions: sellas
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT