ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to the mesh routes?

BleedCrimsonandGray

Hall Of Fame
Oct 2, 2007
I know they're included in the RnS, yet every quarterback we've seen avoids the middle of the field like the plague. Its either a short pass to the sideline or try to hit Calvin on a go down the sideline.

I know we're probably running limited playbook, but to exclude one of the better route concepts in football is puzzling to say the least.

Good question.
This has to be included next year without a doubt.

CougEd stated that this is a 3 year rebuild. I would not call it a rebuild but a three year transfer into a new system. Teams can still win during this process but they won't have reached a peak until year three which was not unlike CML. After that he had the string of winning seasons.

Coach Rolo has his work cut out for him but you have to give him the next year before a real review can be done.

I know they're included in the RnS, yet every quarterback we've seen avoids the middle of the field like the plague. Its either a short pass to the sideline or try to hit Calvin on a go down the sideline.

I know we're probably running limited playbook, but to exclude one of the better route concepts in football is puzzling to say the least.

The rounding out of the route trees is something we need to see.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Good question.
This has to be included next year without a doubt.

CougEd stated that this is a 3 year rebuild. I would not call it a rebuild but a three year transfer into a new system. Teams can still win during this process but they won't have reached a peak until year three which was not unlike CML. After that he had the string of winning seasons.

Coach Rolo has his work cut out for him but you have to give him the next year before a real review can be done.

CougEd thinks it's 1990.

There’s a reason the NFL likes 6’4” QBs. It’s tough to see down the middle of the field when the OL are 5-7” taller than you are.

Another question not sure if anyone noticed but seemed like the first two games 80-90% of the passes were off play action or RPO. Yesterday it must have been less than 50% of pass plays were play action. WTF was that? The running game has been pretty damn effective all year, and certainly was yesterday....why wouldn’t you use that to your advantage to pull linebackers up and make your windows bigger behind them? There’s two things to me that are the stupidest of stupid when you are calling plays. Empty sets (unless your QB has the green light to take off at any time). And dropping back with no PA when your running game is effective. Just don’t get it.

Another question not sure if anyone noticed but seemed like the first two games 80-90% of the passes were off play action or RPO. Yesterday it must have been less than 50% of pass plays were play action. WTF was that? The running game has been pretty damn effective all year, and certainly was yesterday....why wouldn’t you use that to your advantage to pull linebackers up and make your windows bigger behind them? There’s two things to me that are the stupidest of stupid when you are calling plays. Empty sets (unless your QB has the green light to take off at any time). And dropping back with no PA when your running game is effective. Just don’t get it.

Yeah I thought the offensive design was the best the first game of the season. I thought it was very creative...and we have gone away with that to just seemingly throwing out routes.

We did put up 28 pts in a half against a good defense...so its not all doom and gloom as we are seeing here...but we have work to do.

I will also say I was worried when I saw in the first half people spinning balls, bowing, and celebrating every time they made a play. I knew they thought they had the game won at half. That shit needs to be stomped out now. Rolo addressed it so I think it will be. Or I hope.

Yeah I thought the offensive design was the best the first game of the season. I thought it was very creative...and we have gone away with that to just seemingly throwing out routes.

We did put up 28 pts in a half against a good defense...so its not all doom and gloom as we are seeing here...but we have work to do.

I will also say I was worried when I saw in the first half people spinning balls, bowing, and celebrating every time they made a play. I knew they thought they had the game won at half. That shit needs to be stomped out now. Rolo addressed it so I think it will be. Or I hope.
Agree on the celebration stuff but the flip side of that is there’s no fans and the kids are trying to have a little fun...Fin let them! More douchery from the refs in that case IMO. I saw way worse in the SEC championship game not called, also you know damn well these clowns aren’t throwing flags on USC and Oregon for that.
Now if a player is legitimately taunting their opponent and yapping at them, flag em (again...USC)

Nitpicking you’re post Sponge, but 7 came after the interception and the excellent field position. 21 Points came off of drives. Offense did have a very good half though.
The lack of discipline and mental mistakes yesterday made me sick. Hopefully Watson and Jamire are going to run extra this week.

Agree on the celebration stuff but the flip side of that is there’s no fans and the kids are trying to have a little fun...Fin let them! More douchery from the refs in that case IMO. I saw way worse in the SEC championship game not called, also you know damn well these clowns aren’t throwing flags on USC and Oregon for that.
Now if a player is legitimately taunting their opponent and yapping at them, flag em (again...USC)

I hear ya...but my point is the bigger picture than the penalties. It seemed to me this young team thought the game was won at halftime.

Reactions: earldacoug
Nitpicking you’re post Sponge, but 7 came after the interception and the excellent field position. 21 Points came off of drives. Offense did have a very good half though.
The lack of discipline and mental mistakes yesterday made me sick. Hopefully Watson and Jamire are going to run extra this week.
Watson needs to chill on the swaggy stuff but that kid has some serious potential. He could be an All-Conf corner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT