ADVERTISEMENT

Where did you live in Pullman? Would you do it differently?

Just received an email from Washington State Parks, that they'll be closing Steptoe Butte in February or March for about 12-16 weeks as they will be doing major road surfacing, parking repairs and safety upgrades.

I indicated on this thread that I've never visited Kamiak Butte. I actually meant Steptoe Butte~! On my list to do, next time we're traveling to Pullman.....which might be in the Spring, (our daughter is a senior in HS).

Anyways....keep this in mind regarding Steptoe.
Is your daughter still considering MSU? Mine is starting there this fall.

Is your daughter still considering MSU? Mine is starting there this fall.

Hey SD, you have a good memory.

Actually....it's down to Liberty, Regent, Southeastern University, WSU, and MSU. I think it's going to be Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA. Pre-law. She was indoctrinated a COUG her whole life, I did all I could do....but in the end....it's her choice.

It was hard to wrap my head around private and out of state, but I'm over it. It's only 11K more a year than WSU, plus all of the travel expenses.

Ironically, Liberty went 9-1 this year in football, (second year as a Division 1 FBS), and they beat Syracuse and Virginia Tech. Liberty Flames....who would've thought? Crazy that they're in the same conference as Notre Dame and BYU.

I've heard so many great things about Bozeman and MSU. MSU rocks the entire state of Montana. Unfortunately, as a surprise, there is no tuition reciprocity for State of Washington, (we thought there was...but there's not). We were going to visit MSU, but COVID completely shut down the formal campus tours.

Congrats to your daughter. She's starting fall of 2021? Does she ski or snowboard (Bridger Bowl next door)? Any plans on ever visiting Yellowstone?

My first year was in Stephenson North. At this time (late 90s), high speed Internet blew everyone's mind, since we all had shitty dial-up at home, so my roommate, like many others, was really into playing video games on the network on his new computer his dad bought him for college. He was obsessed and routinely would be up until 3 or 4am every day playing, and I think he pretty much stopped going to class. That sucked, especially since I had a rough class load -- or, at least, I thought so at the time, lacking any context -- and he was constantly blasting Doom. He flunked out.

Next year, I was in Waller. Good place, good people. Had my own room. It was glorious.

Then I moved off campus my last two years with a bunch of guys I still am friends with.
Stephenson North in the late 90s? Yeah I did that one too. Ate at Rotunda and walked it off climbing that hill to Bryan Hall. Roommate was a good guy, got lucky that way. Lots of us on the floor ended up doing a lot together that year. Moved across campus to Scott Coman after that, and scored a single-double room and figured it wouldn't get better than that, so I stayed. When I got my masters I lived in a little studio apartment, and then my first job out of school was adjunct work, so I got a roommate in my department and we lived in an old dumpy complex on Merman Drive that I can't even remember the name of and didn't recognize on a Google map. Maybe it's been renamed or levelled. It was near the Campus Crest places and Chief Joe. That joint was old and dicey, but it was the cheapest rent I ever paid.

Stephenson North in the late 90s? Yeah I did that one too. Ate at Rotunda and walked it off climbing that hill to Bryan Hall. Roommate was a good guy, got lucky that way. Lots of us on the floor ended up doing a lot together that year. Moved across campus to Scott Coman after that, and scored a single-double room and figured it wouldn't get better than that, so I stayed. When I got my masters I lived in a little studio apartment, and then my first job out of school was adjunct work, so I got a roommate in my department and we lived in an old dumpy complex on Merman Drive that I can't even remember the name of and didn't recognize on a Google map. Maybe it's been renamed or levelled. It was near the Campus Crest places and Chief Joe. That joint was old and dicey, but it was the cheapest rent I ever paid.
Merman Drive....are you referring to North Campus Heights?

I've heard so many great things about Bozeman and MSU. MSU rocks the entire state of Montana. Unfortunately, as a surprise, there is no tuition reciprocity for State of Washington, (we thought there was...but there's not). We were going to visit MSU, but COVID completely shut down the formal campus tours.

Congrats to your daughter. She's starting fall of 2021? Does she ski or snowboard (Bridger Bowl next door)? Any plans on ever visiting Yellowstone?
She does ski. Not as much as her brother, though. He was hell bent on going to WSU. Wanted to forge his own path and was afraid he’d just hang out with all his high school buddies if he went to Bozeman. He would have lived on those runs near Bozeman.

Take a look at this link. It’s for 2020 but I didn’t dig deeper for the current version. It sounds like they handle WUE similarly to WSU. The money isn’t automatic but is based on grades and test scores and is treated like a scholarship. My son got the max he could from the Cougs on that scholarship. At MSUit looks like $60K over four years. Based on what you had told me I’m guessing your daughter would get that. Throw in the fact that tuition is already cheaper in Montana than Washington, it may be less than Washington in-state for you. Sounds like she’s pretty set on Liberty but figure it doesn’t hurt to have as much info as you can.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
She does ski. Not as much as her brother, though. He was hell bent on going to WSU. Wanted to forge his own path and was afraid he’d just hang out with all his high school buddies if he went to Bozeman. He would have lived on those runs near Bozeman.

Take a look at this link. It’s for 2020 but I didn’t dig deeper for the current version. It sounds like they handle WUE similarly to WSU. The money isn’t automatic but is based on grades and test scores and is treated like a scholarship. My son got the max he could from the Cougs on that scholarship. At MSUit looks like $60K over four years. Based on what you had told me I’m guessing your daughter would get that. Throw in the fact that tuition is already cheaper in Montana than Washington, it may be less than Washington in-state for you. Sounds like she’s pretty set on Liberty but figure it doesn’t hurt to have as much info as you can.

Thank you SD~! It's a long shot....but you never know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT