ADVERTISEMENT

Will Dickert allow himself to go down with the ship with McGuire?

How_did_this_happen?

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2012
Why did USC and him part ways?

Leach kept him for 5 seasons, so is he the problem with our dismal offensive line? Or is this bad circumstances with player transfers and Rolo not recruiting that position well?

Thoughts?

The real issue is that we have a very, very young OL.

Dunham: Freshman
Pritchard: Freshman
White: Freshman
Gates: Freshman
Martin: Freshman
Tripp: Freshman
Machado: Freshman (R)
Roaten: Freshman (R)
Lester: Freshman (R)
Seth: Freshman (R)
Miller: Freshman (R)

Dieu: Sophomore (R)
Tialavea: Sophomore (R)
Hilborn: Sophomore (R)
Kylany: Sophomore (R)
Fa'amoe: Sophomore (R)
Pole: Junior (transfer)
Gomness: Junior (R)
Fifita: Junior (R)
Nkanu: Senior (R) (transfer)

We have 21 linemen on the roster and only one is a freaking senior (and he's a grad transfer), three juniors and five sophomores. We have 15 OL guys who've been on campus for around a year (at most). Our offensive line is bad but we don't know that it's a coaching problem because we have a bunch of newbies on the line still.

We have 21 linemen on the roster and only one is a freaking senior (and he's a grad transfer), three juniors and five sophomores. We have 15 OL guys who've been on campus for around a year (at most). Our offensive line is bad but we don't know that it's a coaching problem because we have a bunch of newbies on the line still.
At least nobody is declaring early for the draft!

Reactions: Flatlandcoug

11 Freshmen? Geezus how did that happen?

That includes walk-ons? I know we don't have that many guys suiting up for games since the OL sits right in front of me.

It's all the guys on the roster so it does include walk-ons. Didn't care enough to dig into scholarship status.
11 guys in one class so basically 5 olinemen, 3 tight ends with shitty hands, two long snappers who can’t run, and one guy who you hope is gonna start the next great tech company and pump billions into the CAF.

The machine Leach built started to crack under Mason Miller and his abysmal recruiting. Weber supercharged it. When a program isn't capable of pulling finished products or snag starters in the portal, they need to grow them and this usually takes 3-4 years to get them developed. Also important to note the training staff wasn't doing its job either.

Our starting left tackle is in his third year of organized football. Was it really a surprised he got abused by a top 15 pick? Our RT is in year two on offense. Gomness, Hilborn, and Fifita all were playing mostly be default. Dieu is the only player who has forced himself into the mix. By year 3, we should start to see guys pushing at all 5 positions.

Reactions: Coug90
Where are they going to go?

I talked with Konnor Gomness' dad at the hotel in Fort Collins and he said to expect mass defections into the portal if we aren't Power 5 next year. Lots of dudes on the team have a pretty high opinion of themselves based on that conversation. BTW, his dad was kind of a dick in general.

I talked with Konnor Gomness' dad at the hotel in Fort Collins and he said to expect mass defections into the portal if we aren't Power 5 next year. Lots of dudes on the team have a pretty high opinion of themselves based on that conversation. BTW, his dad was kind of a dick in general.
That's all well and good but someone has to want them

Well, recent struggles aside, this team did beat two top 25 P5 schools this year. We might lack depth but we have some guys who can earn a spot on the two deep at a lot of P5 schools.

I've heard this (about the portal) from four different 'in the know" sources and three different player parents (in one case, directly, and in two, reported to me by my dad, who I trust, and who was sitting with a bunch of parents). It's probably going to be a bloodbath. Remember that the question isn't whether these guys will get a P5 transfer offer -- unless they're being tampered with, which, well, OK, almost always is the case in today's world -- but whether they think they will get one. It already was a shitshow last year before the conference blew up: https://footballscoop.com/news/wash...hes-are-targeting-cougars-players-and-parents.

I think we'll see a ton of guys in the portal, even if a lot of them wind up at places like North Texas. I don't know if Dickert will take guys back who go in the portal. What sucks is that even a lot of guys who had no intention of transferring may do so if they think everyone else is, the team is getting hollowed out to a Wulffian level, and/or the coaches are going to bail. Leads to a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The majority of guys that hit the portal downgraded

Yes, because they left a P5 spot. Wouldn't agree that a majority downgraded though. Plenty just weren't in the mix here anymore.

If we become a G5 school, suddenly every guy who can play at the P5 level is a transfer risk. It would be a full rebuild.
G5! G5! G5!

I'm guessing no because the lineman we did grab in the portal last year doesn't start for us.
I wasn't totally clear on this...

I meant more along the thinking that the players are out there. We just need to prioritize and pay.

We bet our money on a D2 QB instead of real O-linemen.

There are plenty of big names that go and sit in terms of QB's 4-star and 5-star

I believe in the Line being the foundation for success.

I wasn't totally clear on this...

I meant more along the thinking that the players are out there. We just need to prioritize and pay.

We bet our money on a D2 QB instead of real O-linemen.

There are plenty of big names that go and sit in terms of QB's 4-star and 5-star

I believe in the Line being the foundation for success.
The question isn't what's available in the portal, obviously there is a phenomenon offensive line in the portal. The question is who can we bring in from the portal each year. It looks like we can get a veteran Big Sky player who can plug a hole (we've done this twice now), but high level impact players aren't on the table for us.

I disagree.

If we now put our money into buying players vs. general school athletic donations... we can do/get whatever we want.

I already have. Hope everyone else does too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT