ADVERTISEMENT

Will we go undefeated on Darigold field this year?

cr8zyncalif

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
It will require a couple of breaks, but with the exception of the Apple Cup at the end of the season, we have what might be the weakest home schedule in years.

San Jose State, EWU, Utah, Oregon, Cal, Arizona and UW.

Sure, you can all rise to the defense of Utah as being a tough out, but they are far tougher on the road. Oregon may be the hardest team to predict in the PAC this year. Cal and Arizona can play football. But look at the teams that we don't have to play in Pullman this year.

I didn't say it would be easy, but it is certainly within the realm of possibility that we could be 6-0 at home going in to the Apple Cup. And then just imagine the UW having to explain their loss on Darigold Field....

We probably get 2 out of the 4 league games before UW and the openers. Manage that, Oregon State, ans Colorado and sneak into a bowl. I'm not super confident about Wyoming. Their offense may be garbage but their D is supposed to be pretty good and our offense is young in a season opener. That means turnovers

It will require a couple of breaks, but with the exception of the Apple Cup at the end of the season, we have what might be the weakest home schedule in years.

Sure, you can all rise to the defense of Utah as being a tough out, but they are far tougher on the road. Oregon may be the hardest team to predict in the PAC this year. Cal and Arizona can play football. But look at the teams that we don't have to play in Pullman this year.

I didn't say it would be easy, but it is certainly within the realm of possibility that we could be 6-0 at home going in to the Apple Cup. And then just imagine the UW having to explain their loss on Darigold Field....

UW isn't losing to us. We've shown that we don't compete with them.

Utah is Leach's real rivalry game. He wants that one more than any other...and our results have shown that.

We have lost 5 in a row and they return more people than we do. It would be one of Leach's best coaching jobs

So you are saying that they'll be storming the field.
Unfortunately, if they are Husky fans they won't be storming field. With five in a row, and five plus the first three quarters of the 2012 game blowouts, they think this is in the bag. Maybe I would too if we were beating the same opponent 40 something to something in the teens.

I have to agree that UW is likely to be favored in the AC, even if we are 6-0 at home going into that game. And they will probably deserve to be favored, unless some disaster befalls them next year. However, as you all know, the favored team does not always win that game.

As for the chances of being 6-0 at home prior to the AC, I think that is definitely possible. There is no single game on that schedule that we can't win. Sure, the odds of getting through them all without a loss are small, but not non-existent. FWIW, I'd give us something like 25% odds of being 6-0 at home going into the AC...I'd go 45% on being 5-1 and 80% on being 4-2 at home. As for the road games, I'm thinking we have 3 wins (Wyoming, OSU and CO), with a legit shot at one more via upset.

I'm a little disappointed that nobody really objected to the Darigold Field supposition, but for the record I think it is a fine name if there are enough zeroes in the amount on the check.

I have to agree that UW is likely to be favored in the AC, even if we are 6-0 at home going into that game. And they will probably deserve to be favored, unless some disaster befalls them next year. However, as you all know, the favored team does not always win that game.

As for the chances of being 6-0 at home prior to the AC, I think that is definitely possible. There is no single game on that schedule that we can't win. Sure, the odds of getting through them all without a loss are small, but not non-existent. FWIW, I'd give us something like 25% odds of being 6-0 at home going into the AC...I'd go 45% on being 5-1 and 80% on being 4-2 at home. As for the road games, I'm thinking we have 3 wins (Wyoming, OSU and CO), with a legit shot at one more via upset.

I'm a little disappointed that nobody really objected to the Darigold Field supposition, but for the record I think it is a fine name if there are enough zeroes in the amount on the check.
Speaking of odds, how many home games do you think we will be favored? I am guessing either 2 or 3.

I have to agree that UW is highly likely to be favored in the AC for the rest of our lives, even if we are 6-0 at home going into that game. And they will probably deserve to be favored, unless some disaster befalls them next year. However, as you all know, the favored team does not always win that game.

Dang I am fixing a lot of posts today. :p

On Darigold, I continue to scratch my head over this. It's been what, almost a month since this got leaked out, and still nothing? Makes me wonder if the AD read my highly informative posts illustrating the naming deals others have gotten and are getting, looked out at the crate of milk that was being offered to us, and had second thoughts.

This team will not look like last years team or the year before when Luke was starting. There will be growing pains this coming year. I just would like to see competitive games with chances to win.... and to get to a bowl game. But if we come up just a little short, I won't be surprised. I hope I am totally wrong. But this team will be tested plenty.

Unfortunately, if they are Husky fans they won't be storming field. With five in a row, and five plus the first three quarters of the 2012 game blowouts, they think this is in the bag. Maybe I would too if we were beating the same opponent 40 something to something in the teens.

Or, when they were beating Mike Price eleven times in 14 years, or crushing the Turd except for the fluke 2008 AC. But we're only hearing from Edith about losses under Leach. Why is that? (other than he can't help but reply when he sees "aPaulogist" in a post).

Or, when they were beating Mike Price eleven times in 14 years, or crushing the Turd except for the fluke 2008 AC. But we're only hearing from Edith about losses under Leach. Why is that? (other than he can't help but reply when he sees "aPaulogist" in a post).
Since you asked a question....the comment was about UW storming the field. I simply stated they wouldn't storm the field because of four straight blowouts. If you asked me in 1990 and 1991 I would have said the UW wouldn't have stormed the field because they felt it was what the outcome was suppose to be. Unfortunately 40 something to the teens in three straight affairs doesn't concern the UW where they think it is a bog deal. I live among their arrogance and I would love to talk about a competitive Apple Cup.

Speaking of odds, how many home games do you think we will be favored? I am guessing either 2 or 3.

Since you ask, I expect we will be favored against SJS, EWU and Cal. Utah and Arizona will depend upon relative injury status at the time of the game, but I expect the line to be within +/- 3 points for each. Oregon is the toughest team in the PAC to handicap this year...They probably have the biggest upside of the recent disappointment teams, but also may not show improvement. I expect them to be our competition for for 3rd in the north. And I expect to get a lot of points from UW.

As for the chances of being 6-0 at home prior to the AC, I think that is definitely possible. There is no single game on that schedule that we can't win. Sure, the odds of getting through them all without a loss are small, but not non-existent.

Love your optimism, but no.

I think we can get to 3-0 at home but for whatever reason, Oregon has me worried this year. Utah early has me nervous as well. Cal is likely over-rated at this point and we are due for some revenge there. Arizona ran all over us last year but I'm hoping that's more from a lack of ability to prepare in advance for Khalil Tate than anything else. His last three games of the 2017 season were very underwhelming on the rushing front and we have to hope that's because teams started figuring out his tendencies (and we can do the same). UW is going to throttle us. I think we go 4-3 at home this year and 7-5 overall. (We beat SJSU, EWU, Cal and Arizona)

2018 is a huge year for our program. Has Leach really built the program up or are we going to miss a bowl game? None of us knows for sure. It's not the end of the world if we don't qualify for a bowl in 2018, but it certainly makes 2019 more important if we don't. It's exciting that we have reached the point where missing a bowl game is unusual for us.

Reactions: 79COUG
Flat, Oregon has a lot of talent and it is not surprising that you are nervous. However, they have abjectly failed to deliver recently, so who knows what they will do this year? FWIW I could see them anywhere from 3rd to 7th in the league. I expect 5th-8th to be a very tight group with only 1-2 games separation. I'm thinking that Oregon and WSU will both be in that 5th-8th grouping. This sounds like the start of another thread....

Likely? How about a 100% slam-dunk that they are favored?

I think we can get to 3-0 at home but for whatever reason, Oregon has me worried this year. Utah early has me nervous as well. Cal is likely over-rated at this point and we are due for some revenge there. Arizona ran all over us last year but I'm hoping that's more from a lack of ability to prepare in advance for Khalil Tate than anything else. His last three games of the 2017 season were very underwhelming on the rushing front and we have to hope that's because teams started figuring out his tendencies (and we can do the same). UW is going to throttle us. I think we go 4-3 at home this year and 7-5 overall. (We beat SJSU, EWU, Cal and Arizona)

2018 is a huge year for our program. Has Leach really built the program up or are we going to miss a bowl game? None of us knows for sure. It's not the end of the world if we don't qualify for a bowl in 2018, but it certainly makes 2019 more important if we don't. It's exciting that we have reached the point where missing a bowl game is unusual for us.

Utah is Leach's real rivalry. We'll play them tough. UW? For Leach it's like playing...say...Portland State. He doesn't give a damn.

His base pay should be $1M. Beating UW should get him a $3.5M bonus. Getting within the spread should earn him a $1M bonus. I'm joking...kind of.
I’m with you on that...maybe not that low of base, but 2.75 mill and a 250-500k bonus for knocking the mutts dicks in the dirt, the amount depending on where they are sitting in the north division and what bowl we go to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT