ADVERTISEMENT

Will zone read work with the wide splits?

dgibbons

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 24, 2002
Hilinski and Cooper are mobile enough to run it situationally- red zone and short yardage. Like what SC does with Darnold.

I don’t expect it to happen.

Don’t see why it wouldn’t. Probably a greater chance to get your QB blown up with defenders shooting gaps, but blocked correctly bigger lanes to run through as well.

Don’t see why it wouldn’t. Probably a greater chance to get your QB blown up with defenders shooting gaps, but blocked correctly bigger lanes to run through as well.

In theory the end is out wider than with a normal split. That might mess things up, I don't know.

A QB lead draw with someone that has some speed would be another addition that could work.

No. The zone read only works when there is the threat of a run. Why would a defensive end ever guess we’re handing the ball off?

Reactions: froropmkr72
In certain situations it could work, but like patrol pointed out correctly, there has to be a very likely threat of a run happening and that aint us! (See Holiday bowl last night)!

No. The zone read only works when there is the threat of a run. Why would a defensive end ever guess we’re handing the ball off?
I think he was insinuating that we would work some zone read run plays in and actually run the ball. But first our coach/qb need to come to the conclusion that running the ball occasionally is a good idea. Obviously nothing was learned from the AC, so similar results last night. I don’t have much hope for this offense going forward unless Leach allows someone else to be OC.

Reactions: froropmkr72
I think he was insinuating that we would work some zone read run plays in and actually run the ball. But first our coach/qb need to come to the conclusion that running the ball occasionally is a good idea. Obviously nothing was learned from the AC, so similar results last night. I don’t have much hope for this offense going forward unless Leach allows someone else to be OC.

Leach does seem to experiment early in the season with some things (inverted wishbone, 7 OL set being two examples), then revert to the 1 back, 2 back and empty formations down the stretch.

Hilinski and Cooper seem to have the speed to make designed QB runs work. Falk and Halliday did not.

All coaches on the Leach tree have ran the ball more often than Leach has. Out of necessity? In order to be more competitive?

All coaches on the Leach tree have ran the ball more often than Leach has. Out of necessity? In order to be more competitive?
Yeah I think they realize you have to run the ball and can’t be that one dimensional. Leach just seems to be so stubborn in his approach. It’s almost like the other coaches who are laughing at him (like Peterson) just makes him want to prove his point that much more that his offense can’t be stopped and he doesn’t have to run it. Insanity.

Maybe next year. It would be a bit too much to change the offense in any major way with just a couple of weeks practice prior to a bowl game. I am looking forward to Spring practice to see if Hilinski sets up under the center at times and if the inverted wishbone is again tried. It is pretty obvious to one and all that we need an increased threat of a run to establish some rhythm to the offense.

Leach does seem to experiment early in the season with some things (inverted wishbone, 7 OL set being two examples), then revert to the 1 back, 2 back and empty formations down the stretch.

Hilinski and Cooper seem to have the speed to make designed QB runs work. Falk and Halliday did not.

I know for a fact there were several tight end formations in the playbook for the bowl game - it would have taken getting into the red zone a couple times to perhaps have seen it - specifically short yardage situations.

Leach is most comfortable with the QB running when the back-up would not be a big drop-off in terms of capability.

The QB job will be up for grabs this year. Regardless of who wins the job, #2 is not likely to be far behind. And any of the likely #2's if Hilinski is #1 are pretty mobile. My guess is that we will see more QB runs next season, whether deliberate or not. Unless our O line is awesome in terms of pass protection, you'd almost have to assume that there will be more QB runs than we had with Luke.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT