ADVERTISEMENT

Wishful Thinking

Coug-Vandal

Hall Of Fame
Jan 7, 2003
I've been a life long college bb fan who hasn't adjusted to the new environment. I would love to see how a Coug team led by Smith with Rice, Wells, and Watts
starting as the backcourt would do next year. What are my chances of actually seeing that?

Smith took the Stanford job per rumors.

No the supposed rumor in the other thread is that Stanford, according to a supposed Stanford Site Admin, supposedly offered the job to Kyle Smith, and that Kyle Smith said that he wanted to stay at WSU, and that he wanted, was waiting to see if WSU would, could give him either close to, equal, better, etc, pay then the Stanford offer, and that supposedly if that didn't happen, he would supposedly goto Stanford, over staying at WSU as a last resort.

There has been no word, rumor, news, etc, on whether Smith has accepted the supposed offer, and that he is, has gone to Stanford.

As me, others have said, while Stanford may have offered Smith, it doesn't pass the logical, makes sense, smell test, etc, that Smith would goto Stanford because of how little money Stanford has for athletics, the extreme admission standards for athletes, the not getting transfers from transfer portal, no JC transfers, etc, the transfer portal, and NIL hitting Stanford HARDER then even WSU, that can at least get Transfer Portal, JC transfers, has a little NIL, etc, unlike Stanford, and the ACC would fall apart on Smith's head, and leave him stranded, not in a Power Conference, etc, somewhat semi similar to the situation he in now at WSU, and on top of all that Stanford would probably fire him, have unrealistic demands, expectations, etc, in about 1,2,3, years, and Smith can, could EASILY find, get better paying job, a better job then Stanford elsewhere.

So it would probably be a pretty bad decision by Smith to goto Stanford.

So that's why Smith is probably not going to Stanford, if he was offered.

This is just the standard speculation, rumormongering, etc, by the media, others, because it sells, is hot, etc.

And the Chicken Little the Sky is falling, DOOM and Gloomers, etc, buy in, and start worrying etc.

We'll have to wait and see, but I'm not worried.

Now if it was UCLA, USC, etc, instead of Stanford, etc, I'd either be worried, more worried, etc

If Louisville hires Mick Cronin, like Louisville is saying they are trying to do, then the UCLA job would open up, and there would be about, between about a 23% to 43% to 63% chance that Smith would goto UCLA, and would go there if offered, because UCLA is a very good, attractive job.

No the supposed rumor in the other thread is that Stanford, according to a supposed Stanford Site Admin, supposedly offered the job to Kyle Smith, and that Kyle Smith said that he wanted to stay at WSU, and that he wanted, was waiting to see if WSU would, could give him either close to, equal, better, etc, pay then the Stanford offer, and that supposedly if that didn't happen, he would supposedly goto Stanford, over staying at WSU as a last resort.

There has been no word, rumor, news, etc, on whether Smith has accepted the supposed offer, and that he is, has gone to Stanford.

As me, others have said, while Stanford may have offered Smith, it doesn't pass the logical, makes sense, smell test, etc, that Smith would goto Stanford because of how little money Stanford has for athletics, the extreme admission standards for athletes, the not getting transfers from transfer portal, no JC transfers, etc, the transfer portal, and NIL hitting Stanford HARDER then even WSU, that can at least get Transfer Portal, JC transfers, has a little NIL, etc, unlike Stanford, and the ACC would fall apart on Smith's head, and leave him stranded, not in a Power Conference, etc, somewhat semi similar to the situation he in now at WSU, and on top of all that Stanford would probably fire him, have unrealistic demands, expectations, etc, in about 1,2,3, years, and Smith can, could EASILY find, get better paying job, a better job then Stanford elsewhere.

So it would probably be a pretty bad decision by Smith to goto Stanford.

So that's why Smith is probably not going to Stanford, if he was offered.

This is just the standard speculation, rumormongering, etc, by the media, others, because it sells, is hot, etc.

And the Chicken Little the Sky is falling, DOOM and Gloomers, etc, buy in, and start worrying etc.

We'll have to wait and see, but I'm not worried.

Now if it was UCLA, USC, etc, instead of Stanford, etc, I'd either be worried, more worried, etc

If Louisville hires Mick Cronin, like Louisville is saying they are trying to do, then the UCLA job would open up, and there would be about, between about a 23% to 43% to 63% chance that Smith would goto UCLA, and would go there if offered, because UCLA is a very good, attractive job.
10-10 in league (5th) and 16-17 overall doesn't sound like an attractive job to me.

I linked a cost of living comparison site below. One important thing they don't include is taxes. On real estate and more importantly income tax. California's income tax rate is 12.3% for income over $698,000

Last edited:
Thought about all those taxes, and CA is likely to pass a wealth tax soon, which will make it worse.. However, if Stanford is paying twice as much as WSU could it makes up for the taxes, and the cost of living. He's lived in the Bay Area already, so it's not like any of this will be a surprise to him. He probably won't be alarmed too much. Speaking of that, I heard a lot of the Arizona football coaches, which just accepted jobs with the UW, including Fisch, were shocked by the housing prices in the Seattle area, and how little home they get for the money, most are not happy with their housing situation.

10-10 in league (5th) and 16-17 overall doesn't sound like an attractive job to me.

I linked a cost of living comparison site below. One important thing they don't include is taxes. On real estate and more importantly income tax. California's income tax rate is 12.3% for income over $698,000

Well, he’s going to get some slack at Stanford, it’s not a traditional bball power and he won’t be expected to take them to the final four in year 2. If he has them competitive in a couple of years with a tourney appearance in 3 that will probably be acceptable for their fan base and admin. Higher pay, not much more pressure, more resources. Having coached at SF I’m sure his family has friends in the area. Can’t blame him for this move and wish him the best.

Well, he’s going to get some slack at Stanford, it’s not a traditional bball power and he won’t be expected to take them to the final four in year 2. If he has them competitive in a couple of years with a tourney appearance in 3 that will probably be acceptable for their fan base and admin. Higher pay, not much more pressure, more resources. Having coached at SF I’m sure his family has friends in the area. Can’t blame him for this move and wish him the best.

I won't wish him the best but I totally understand that he has to do what's best for him and his family.

Kind of ironic if you think about it. Smith's last pac 12 win was against Stanford, Stanford fires their current coach at the buzzer, and now Smith is coaching that Stanford team.

Kind of ironic if you think about it. Smith's last pac 12 win was against Stanford, Stanford fires their current coach at the buzzer, and now Smith is coaching that Stanford team.
Stanford probably started talking to Smith 5 minutes after the buzzer sounded, if not sooner.

Glad Cougar

UW just hired Danny Sprinkle 6 years 22.1 million, that's 3.68 million per year. I'd like to think Smith is worth more than Danny Sprinkle, Stanford could be paying 4 million or more a year, we'll never know for sure, since Stanford is private they don't have to disclose.

UW just hired Danny Sprinkle 6 years 22.1 million, that's 3.68 million per year. I'd like to think Smith is worth more than Danny Sprinkle, Stanford could be paying 4 million or more a year, we'll never know for sure, since Stanford is private they don't have to disclose.
Sprinkle lost the last game he coached by 40

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT