ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s soccer

One would hope for their sake that the season doesn't start until the last of February at the earliest. Having experienced Pullman's weather, running around outside in shorts and a shirt cannot be pleasant. Thank God for the bubble but we could really use that new IPF.

Kayak, they won't be in shorts and a shirt in that weather. I have to laugh, remembering what we would be wearing in baseball practice & games at the start of the HS season in E WA. They probably have something that looks better than what we were wearing back then...thermal underwear & sweat shirt with the uni over the top. Windbreaker over that. And a thick coat for the pitcher when we were at bat. If the catcher wasn't coming up to bat any time soon, he would leave his gear on. I will say, though, that those March heavy snowflake flurries were a lot of fun to play in, due mostly to the novelty of it all. It was the pits if you wore glasses, especially if you were trying to bat; the darned snowflakes would stick to the glasses.

One would hope for their sake that the season doesn't start until the last of February at the earliest. Having experienced Pullman's weather, running around outside in shorts and a shirt cannot be pleasant. Thank God for the bubble but we could really use that new IPF.

They can wear more than their jerseys and their knickers. I played baseball in my youth in snow. In my old age I've coached lacrosse in snow.

Kayak, they won't be in shorts and a shirt in that weather. I have to laugh, remembering what we would be wearing in baseball practice & games at the start of the HS season in E WA. They probably have something that looks better than what we were wearing back then...thermal underwear & sweat shirt with the uni over the top. Windbreaker over that. And a thick coat for the pitcher when we were at bat. If the catcher wasn't coming up to bat any time soon, he would leave his gear on. I will say, though, that those March heavy snowflake flurries were a lot of fun to play in, due mostly to the novelty of it all. It was the pits if you wore glasses, especially if you were trying to bat; the darned snowflakes would stick to the glasses.
Ah yes, me as well. There used to be a season opening baseball tourny in Spokane called the Inland Empire Invitational. Played quite a few games at Shadle, etc with snow falling. In football, Eastmont would always schedule one game a year in B.C. I do remember playing a game up there with a good foot of new snow on the sidelines. Fun times when you're young and dumb!

Thank God for the bubble
Agree Kayak.

Ideally once the New IPF's ribbon-cutting ceremony is in the books, the Bubble can be upgraded and serve as a auxilliary facility for non-football athletes as well as kids who just want to avoid the cold weather when they decide to work out.

Good to hear that they will carry on even if they have to wear mukluks. That's the spirit. Cannot wait for the season to start, especially regarding soccer and baseball.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Ah yes, me as well. There used to be a season opening baseball tourny in Spokane called the Inland Empire Invitational. Played quite a few games at Shadle, etc with snow falling. In football, Eastmont would always schedule one game a year in B.C. I do remember playing a game up there with a good foot of new snow on the sidelines. Fun times when you're young and dumb!
Football when it was snowing was very different than baseball. In football you generate a lot of your own heat when you're playing, and pad & helmet give insulation. In baseball, you're not moving around a lot, and a thin cotton jersey doesn't do much against the cold.

My one truly cold and snowy football game, I didn't even notice. I was warm, but the guys on the sidelines were freezing. In baseball, I only remember one game with flurries, but I remember several games where it was either raining or windy. Throwing gets hard when you can't feel your fingers.

Reactions: 79COUG
95, I also got to play football in the snow a few times, as well as practices. It was a lot of fun. You are absolutely right about not being particularly cold...except when somebody puts snow down the back of your neck! ;)

95, I also got to play football in the snow a few times, as well as practices. It was a lot of fun. You are absolutely right about not being particularly cold...except when somebody puts snow down the back of your neck! ;)
The easy solution to that is to not get knocked down. Or make sure that there's someone under you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT