ADVERTISEMENT

***WSU @ ARIZONA GAME THREAD***

It is still way early and anything can and will happen in the second half. But, the Cougars defense gave up only 14 points to one of the highest scoring teams in the entire country.

I am not sure why you are complaining about the defense from watching that first half.
With respect to the actual post of mine which you have quoted, you're imputing motives where there are none. A bad choice of post to call me out.

Now, to the point of when it is or is not OK to criticize the defense, like it or not - this isn't SB Nation. I don't have to clear my views with mods - or you - before I post them. It is OK to be bummed that the O comes out hot and the D gives up a penalty-filled 80-yard drive despite the tailwinds of bad snaps - followed up by another given up touchdown by the ST. The margin of error with this team the past few years has been razor thin. It's OK to be critical. There are no thought police here.

It took three and a half years, but it's a Leach offense, performing consistently.

Amazing stat - last time WSU won 3 straight in conference was 12 years ago?!

It was that bad, folks. Who saw this coming after PDX State at home?

It took three and a half years, but it's a Leach offense, performing consistently.

No disrespect to the Cougars players of the past but they were completely undersized.
Remember the 250 lb O-linemen?
Now these guys are 320 or more and they have 8 of these guys.
Depth is still an issue at WSU and that's one of the reasons that Special teams are still a problem but I suspect that will get better over time as well.

UA can still come back in this game but if the Cougs get the next score then this one could be over.

D gives up a 60-yard run to let Zona back in the game (sorry 90).

Boy, those Arizona snaps are ATROCIOUS.

Amazing stat - last time WSU won 3 straight in conference was 12 years ago?!

It was that bad, folks. Who saw this coming after PDX State at home?
We are generally bad at home. Don't forget that. But yes, no one saw this coming.
I am much more comfortable with our chances on the road. Strange, but the evidence supports this overwhelmingly.

My finger is not pointed at Leach. I've been totally patient with him, though admittedly it was beginning to wear thin after Portland State in Year 4.

My question is about ST and ST talent, scheme and coaching. Does an ST coach really need head coach time to stop giving up house calls? Is special teams that kind of job? I keep hearing that it's getting better, and we keep giving up worst-in-class plays.

Coug D just gives up another one to keep it interesting. 28-21 Cougs.

Ok. What I meant is that it took years to get the offense really humming. This is really Mele's first year.

Now, with exceptions, ST usually has younger players. Younger players make both mental and physical mistakes. Plus, most of those players have never played the ST position that they are being asked to play. Understand, that most of the skill players were the ball carriers, not the player asked to run down and make the tackle.

It is similar to baseball players who are great hitting stars, but in the majors they are asked to bunt and move players over. In the beginning, it is new to them and they struggle.

With time and recruiting better players, you will see fewer big plays happen. It really is just a physical and mental problem that time will take care of.

One of the big turning points for Luke has been his willingness to dump off to the RB. He looks so calm out there, as if the RB is a guaranteed completion when everything else breaks down.

Erik Powell gets a freebie there. Not sure if it's fair to call a 50 yard miss another ST miscue?

No credit though for Charme kicking it into the EZ from the 40.

Zona having some success with misdirection and running, but the question is, down 17 with the 4th about to start, how much longer can they afford to grind it out?

All Arizona has now is trick plays. How much longer can it work? Can you trick your way out of a 17-point hole with 1 quarter to play?

Let's hope not.

Officiating seems so arbitrary. If you took 10 college refs and showed them 100 PI calls you couldn't get a consensus more than about 30% of the time.

Officiating seems so arbitrary. If you took 10 college refs and showed them 100 PI calls you couldn't get a consensus more than about 30% of the time.
Are you referring to the push off in the end zone, or DW getting raped?

Honestly, though, the officials have been a non story today, which is how I like it.

Are you referring to the push off in the end zone, or DW getting raped?

Honestly, though, the officials have been a non story today, which is how I like it.
Yeah I don't disagree - it's really just the culmination of having seen 1000 P12 games and how terrible the rules (and the refs) are that PI (etc.) has become more of an art than a science.

Randle has been an awfully inaccurate passer his entire career. Unfortunately, he his having a career game in passing accuracy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT