ADVERTISEMENT

WSU vs Drake GAME THREAD

Turnovers are not the only, biggest thing.

WSU only had 4,5,6 turnovers in first half, and only 3,4,5 turnovers so far in 2nd half, and probably have about 12,13,14 turnovers by end of game, that's not that bad for a NCAA tourny game, against a tourny team.

When you COMBINE turnovers, with Refs calling it one sided for Drake and letting Drake MUG WSU players and not call the fouls

COMBINED

with semi bad 3 point shooting their open, good shot selection 3 point shots, by WSU.
Combined with Drake hitting 3 SEMI CONTESTED TO CONTESTED, NON OPEN, BAD SHOT SELECTION 3's
COMBINED with Drakes RED HOT 3 point shooting despite WSU's ok 3 point shot defense.

If not for that ALL COMBINED TOGETHER, WSU would be up by 13+ to 15+

STOP ONLY BLAMING IT ONLY ON TURNOVERS.

Come on man I know we as coug fans love blaming the refs but I don't think we'd ever be happy unless they called twice as many on the other team. They have called 5 more on Drake than WSU you make it sound like they aren't calling anything. You want them to have 30 fouls? It's a cop out they've turned it over a bunch and shot bad. It's a miracle they're still in it.

Reactions: ATACFD
Come on man I know we as coug fans love blaming the refs but I don't think we'd ever be happy unless they called twice as many on the other team. They have called 5 more on Drake than WSU you make it sound like they aren't calling anything. You want them to have 30 fouls? It's a cop out they've turned it over a bunch and shot bad. It's a miracle they're still in it.

It should be 15 to 20 to 25 more fouls on Drake, then WSU, instead of 5 more fouls on Drake, then WSU

Me and Bleed have NOT been exaggerating.

Drake has MUGGED, fouled WSU, ABOUT 13 to 17 to 20 to 23 more times then the 5 more fouls that Drake has then WSU.

Those FOULS should have been called.

If your going to PLAY DIRTY, CHEAT, MUG, FOUL, ETC, YOU SHOULD BE CALLED FOR THE FOUL, EVEN IF THAT MEANS THAT YOU HAVE 1000 MORE FOULS, AND HAVE YOUR WHOLE TEAM FOUL OUT, MORE THEN THE OTHER TEAM.

WSU played good, except for the semi bad open, non contested, good shot selection type of 3 point shooting.

WSU had to fight, scrap, beat THE REFS, AND DRAKE CONTANTLY MUGGING, FOULING WSU PLAYERS, AND NOT HAVING THE FOUL CALLED, ETC.

Good, great teams like WSU find ways to win, despite all the BULLSHET.

I thought they were toast woooooo. Live to see another day against Iowa state.

Should have been a 17+ point win by WSU, and would have been if not for:

Turnovers by WSU

COMBINED WITH.

Semi bad 3 point shooting of open, noncontested, good shot selection, 3 point shots

COMBINED with

.RED HOT 3 point shooting by Drake

COMBINED with

Drake hitting 3 semi contested to contested, semi bad shot selection shots.

COMBINED WITH

Drake CONSTANTLY MUGGING, FOULING WSU, and the REFS LETTING THEM GET AWAY WITH IT, AND NOT CALLING FOULS LIKE THEY SHOULD HAVE COMBINED WITH CALLING IT ONE SIDED IN DRAKES FAVOR IN 2ND HALF.

Great Game. Watched it on TV with my 88 year old dad. But he was worried I’d be the one to get a heart attack at the end the way I was yelling at the screen!!
That Brodie guy was a beast for Drake. I Like the way our D clamped at the end though. 1-3-1 was interesting.

Smith asked something like, "am I allowed to say that"? Oregon's win paid for whatever fine.
bumped over to the drake board... they were actually crying about not getting MORE moving screens called on Jones.

But for the most part were resigned to just not being able to get the job done when they needed to.

Another thing: does anyone think there were even more commercials than usual. Seemed like every 2 minutes if a ball even went out of bounds it was an excuse to have a TV time out. Really interrupts the flow.

Another thing: does anyone think there were even more commercials than usual. Seemed like every 2 minutes if a ball even went out of bounds it was an excuse to have a TV time out. Really interrupts the flow.
yes, they've stretched 2 hours to 2.5 hours.

Go Samford.

bumped over to the drake board... they were actually crying about not getting MORE moving screens called on Jones.

But for the most part were resigned to just not being able to get the job done when they needed to.
It is kind of funny that we are bitching about the refs when the fouls were 21-13 (Drake vs WSU). Hey but it is a Coug thing - the refs always job us. You naysayers need to go pull your diplomas and remind yourselves of that.

Our shooting - 50% on 3's, 34% on 2's. We need to shoot 3's all the time. A lot of missed bunnies and shitty putbacks when we should have passed it out?

Rice HAS to quit dribbling so much and pass the ball around. And 3-12 shooting. Yuck.

Way to go at the end Jaki, those 2 last FT's were clutch. And way to go Wells, 3-4 from 3, 2-2 on Ft's, and 9! rebounds. Oh and Jones? 8-10 on Ft's. I retract my earlier comment that he sucks at the line.

Quite a few Coug fans. Good on them.

Way to go Cougs. I thought we were toast when down by 8. Now I can relax with another beer or 2 rather than 10 to drown the loss.

It is kind of funny that we are bitching about the refs when the fouls were 21-13 (Drake vs WSU). Hey but it is a Coug thing - the refs always job us. You naysayers need to go pull your diplomas and remind yourselves of that.

Our shooting - 50% on 3's, 34% on 2's. We need to shoot 3's all the time. A lot of missed bunnies and shitty putbacks when we should have passed it out?

Rice HAS to quit dribbling so much and pass the ball around. And 3-12 shooting. Yuck.

Way to go at the end Jaki, those 2 last FT's were clutch. And way to go Wells, 3-4 from 3, 2-2 on Ft's, and 9! rebounds. Oh and Jones? 8-10 on Ft's. I retract my earlier comment that he sucks at the line.

Way to go Cougs. I thought we were toast when down by 8. Now I can relax with another beer or 2 rather than 10 to drown the loss.
Considering three of those fouls were intentional fouls in the last 34 seconds, the difference was not as lopsided as you think. They played like the old Detroit Pistons, foul on every trip down because they won't call them all. Especially Jones and Rice got hammered near the basket. Rice was also getting his jersey held often when he would start his drive.

holy shit...

coach just called out the refs. are they allowed to do that?

No, and technically can be fined, getvinto trouble for doing that.

Also both the TV announcers, and Radio Announcers CALLED OUT the bad officiating 1, 2 times, as that's how bad the officiating was in the 2nd half.

Me, Bleed, and others haven't been lying, exaggerating.

It was that bad.

It's about time, a coach, announcers, others call that BULLSHET OFFICIATING out, that can DECIDE games.

As a former Columbia Basin Umpires Association Umpire, that umpired Highschool Varsity, Tournament, ASA, USSSA softball, baseball games, etc, the Assigning Secretary, Head Umpire in Charge Gary Lawson, used to tell all the umpires

"It's important that you know the rules, don't make mistakes, be competent, etc. No one is asking you to be perfect. But umpire mistakes should not be what decides games. Umpires are not what the game is about. The game is not being played by the umpires, the players are not playing for the umpires, the fans are not there because to see the umpires. The game is about the game, the players, the teams, etc, not the umpires. If, when a umpire makes a mistake that draws the attention away from the game, the players, the teams, etc, and if, when a umpire makes a mistake that decides the game, the umpire is wrongly making the game about the umpire, and it's not ok for Umpires to make mistakes that either helps decide games, or decides games. Do Not make a lot of mistakes that either help decide games, or that decide games. Do not make the game about the Umpires, just do your job right, and have the attention on the game, players, coaches, teams, and not the umpires."

Not a direct quote, PARAPHRASED to the best of my memory.

Apparently the Pac 12 refs, and the NCAA tourny refs, are incompetent, haven't learned, don't follow the things that Gary Lawson talked about, etc.

I know some might say, that it's easy for us to say things like that, because we are not there in these m heat of the moment situations.
Gary Lawson said that still doesn't excuse bad officiating, umpiring, as officials, umpires, are paid, trained to make the in the heat of the moment calls, and to get them right.

Yes they are human, yes they make mistakes.

But there is a big difference between human mistakes, errors, and CONSISTENTLY making bad, wrong calls or making bad, wrong NO CALLS CONSISTENTLY.

The officiating was terrible bad in 2nd half, and the officials should be EMBARRASED, CALLED OUT, FIRED, DEMOTED, relegated to not officiating tournament games, etc.

I also question those who are in charge of officiating, train officials, etc. And they should be questioned, etc.

And it's time for people to stop justifying, excusing, enabling this CRAPPY officiating.

And it's time that coaches, University Presidents, AD'S, players, fans, people, etc, CALL OUT CRAPPY OFFICIATING.

.CRAPPY OFFICIATING IS NOT GOOD FOR THE GAME, ETC.

I put the game on YTTV multi-view, so it's my fault y'all had to sweat it out. I watched a game and they won!

What's YTTV?
YouTube TV. They have a multi-view option allowing you to watch all four networks (CBS, TBS, TNT, TruTV) showing March Madness games at once.

This also works during college football season, but sometimes the options are limited on the games you can watch at the same time.

Reactions: mikalalas

They missed 2/3 of their free throws. We got lucky. But it had nothing to do with the officiating, make your free throws and you win. We’ve been there too.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Can't believe with all the turnovers, that we won. With our size, rebounding, and that Bulldog who fouled out....I'll take it.

The one thing that really gave me hope in the second half was Drake missing FTs. So many times in close games, that comes back to really bite you in the butt. SO happy for the Cougs!

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Cougs will need to eliminate the long stretches of not scoring if they are to compete with Iowa State. I think in the first half they were outscored 12-0 over a 4 minute span. Then in the second half, they went more than 8 minutes with only 1 field goal (a Jones tip-in) and were 1-12 over that stretch. Without those two droughts, WSU probably wins comfortably. Yes, we were lucky Drake missed free throws but it appears they were lucky we missed so many decent shots. I thought the key to the game was getting their big guy fouled out. As others have mentioned, Brodie probably committed 9 or 10 fouls in that game but only called for 5. Great win but will need to shoot better tomorrow. Go Cougs!

Glad Cougar

Reactions: 78Chief

A little tongue in cheek, but did you watch the game?? The fouls easily could have been 31-13 given the way Drake was playing defense. It was no Coug thing. They were an extremely physical team who knew what they needed to do to win, and damn near got away with it.

Quick summary:

- Their bad FT shooting almost offset our turnovers.
- Our rebounding then pulled it about even.
- Yes, they were pushing the foul envelope hard as a way to try to offset size & quickness.
- If you watched any other NCAA games over the past few days you've seen that charging fouls are unicorns. This one was typical.
- We gutted it out. No panic. A few shaky trips down the court, though. I give Kyle Smith an "A" for his use of time outs.
- Hostile crowd was almost a non-factor.

Can't believe with all the turnovers, that we won. With our size, rebounding, and that Bulldog who fouled out....I'll take it.
The turnovers are coming with the handsy defense. Teams have followed ASUs playbook on defending us. Tight and physical, with a double on jones every time he touches it. we still haven’t adjusted to it. Jones had a helluva game scoring and rebounding, but he should be dishing out 5+ assists too with how often he gets doubled.

A little tongue in cheek, but did you watch the game?? The fouls easily could have been 31-13 given the way Drake was playing defense. It was no Coug thing. They were an extremely physical team who knew what they needed to do to win, and damn near got away with it.
This has been the blueprint for every team since asu beat us. When they let a lot of it go we don’t respond well. Drake should have had 5+ fouls easily in the first 10 minutes of the game and I think they had 1. The Colorado game would have been much different if they weren’t allowing WWF royal rumble in the paint.

“Drake is the best team we’ve played all year”

Kyle Smith- CBS post game comments

Says it all, IMO

Congratulations Team!

Cougs will need to eliminate the long stretches of not scoring if they are to compete with Iowa State. I think in the first half they were outscored 12-0 over a 4 minute span. Then in the second half, they went more than 8 minutes with only 1 field goal (a Jones tip-in) and were 1-12 over that stretch. Without those two droughts, WSU probably wins comfortably. Yes, we were lucky Drake missed free throws but it appears they were lucky we missed so many decent shots. I thought the key to the game was getting their big guy fouled out. As others have mentioned, Brodie probably committed 9 or 10 fouls in that game but only called for 5. Great win but will need to shoot better tomorrow. Go Cougs!

Glad Cougar
The shot chart is ugly. Way too any open circles in the paint.

This has been the blueprint for every team since asu beat us. When they let a lot of it go we don’t respond well. Drake should have had 5+ fouls easily in the first 10 minutes of the game and I think they had 1. The Colorado game would have been much different if they weren’t allowing WWF royal rumble in the paint.
In the first minute or so of the game when Jaki drove the baseline and went up for a dunk and Brodie just jumped into Jaki knocking him on is ass with no call, I think it was evident they were going to swallow their whistle.

I think we all assume that the NCAA tournament will be called differently, and I am fine with that. However, I think it was a little too much for me because I don't enjoy the Detroit Piston type basketball of the late 80's. But if they are going to call it that way, be consistent. Jones was clearly frustrated when he was getting bumped hard while shooting with no call, and subsequently there was a sequence of two calls against him that were ticky-tack with his body.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT