ADVERTISEMENT

WSU vs Drake GAME THREAD

In the first minute or so of the game when Jaki drove the baseline and went up for a dunk and Brodie just jumped into Jaki knocking him on is ass with no call, I think it was evident they were going to swallow their whistle.

I think we all assume that the NCAA tournament will be called differently, and I am fine with that. However, I think it was a little too much for me because I don't enjoy the Detroit Piston type basketball of the late 80's. But if they are going to call it that way, be consistent. Jones was clearly frustrated when he was getting bumped hard while shooting with no call, and subsequently there was a sequence of two calls against him that were ticky-tack with his body.
Brodi had at least 10 fouls. At least.

A little tongue in cheek, but did you watch the game?? The fouls easily could have been 31-13 given the way Drake was playing defense. It was no Coug thing. They were an extremely physical team who knew what they needed to do to win, and damn near got away with it.
Oh yeah I was glued to the TV. Not at all saying the foul disparity was wrong, it is just kind of funny if you were the casual observer. who missed the game itself.

Not being a basketball expert, I have never understood what constitutes a foul, especially inside. A guys drives for the hoopp, you breather on him and it's a foul. A center backs into you and pushes you 10 feet through the paint and it's not a foull. Oh but contest the shot and it is.

Those double team were brutal. And we need to do some of that. When their big horse is just "butt"ing our Center back and back and back get someone in there to swat at the ball. We just leave 'em, mainly Cluff, on an island.

In the first minute or so of the game when Jaki drove the baseline and went up for a dunk and Brodie just jumped into Jaki knocking him on is ass with no call, I think it was evident they were going to swallow their whistle.

I think we all assume that the NCAA tournament will be called differently, and I am fine with that. However, I think it was a little too much for me because I don't enjoy the Detroit Piston type basketball of the late 80's. But if they are going to call it that way, be consistent. Jones was clearly frustrated when he was getting bumped hard while shooting with no call, and subsequently there was a sequence of two calls against him that were ticky-tack with his body.
Detroit vs. Portland back then required flack jackets.

Reactions: ATACFD and Coug1990

Basketball is a really difficult sport to ref. Kinda like holding in football you could have multiple fouls called every time down the floor. Consistency is key. Ultimately it’s up to the teams to adjust to the style of officiating then you hope it doesn’t change (as it often does). At least we get a good dose of shitty officiating in the Pac12 so it shouldn’t bother our kids that much. I don’t think Vern Harris is a tourney ref either…anything’s better than that clown.

Quick summary:

- Their bad FT shooting almost offset our turnovers.
- Our rebounding then pulled it about even.
- Yes, they were pushing the foul envelope hard as a way to try to offset size & quickness.
- If you watched any other NCAA games over the past few days you've seen that charging fouls are unicorns. This one was typical.
- We gutted it out. No panic. A few shaky trips down the court, though. I give Kyle Smith an "A" for his use of time outs.
- Hostile crowd was almost a non-factor.

The crowd was not hostile towards WSU. If anything, Coug fans and the other fans that adopted us were louder and more vocal than Drake. Tomorrow is going to be a hostile environment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT