ADVERTISEMENT

XFL

I watched a bit. Pretty good.

L
If you do it the right way minor league football can work. The original XFL they spent way to much energy hyping it as “different”. Reality was it was shitty football with a lot of hype.

I hope it’s successful, most people can’t afford the ticket prices anymore so there’s something out there people can go to and enjoy a game in person. Great opportunity for guys who couldn’t crack rosters to continue to show what they can do in games too.

So how much does XFL pay? Is it a living, or do they all still have day jobs too?

$60,000 up $70,000 for more wins/bonuses
If you would have told me that you'd have paid me to do what I love for a few more years and get paid for it - at least enough to pay the rent, car payment, and have some beers with the boys - I'd have done it in a heartbeat. The big question is what kind of medical do they have?

If you would have told me that you'd have paid me to do what I love for a few more years and get paid for it - at least enough to pay the rent, car payment, and have some beers with the boys - I'd have done it in a heartbeat. The big question is what kind of medical do they have?
I can remember hearing minor league Arena football league teams went through Wa Workers Comp

Very cool. Goodell is a douche so I hope XFL takes off.
Goodell is certainly a douche but the XFL isn’t taking a chunk out of the NFL in any way. I think the XFL can help the NFL by getting some more fans interested in football at a lower price tag (think MLS and American interest in global soccer).

Goodell is certainly a douche but the XFL isn’t taking a chunk out of the NFL in any way. I think the XFL can help the NFL by getting some more fans interested in football at a lower price tag (think MLS and American interest in global soccer).
Lol, MLS is a joke. EPL is where it's at. After that La Liga, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, Serie A all smoke MLS in terms of talent and watchability.

XFL being compared to the MLS isn't really a compliment.

Lol, MLS is a joke. EPL is where it's at. After that La Liga, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, Serie A all smoke MLS in terms of talent and watchability.

Umm tell that to Seattle Sounders who won a tournament championship comprised of non MLS teams, against, comprised of some of the better teams in their region, world, and certainly almost as good, equal to or better then the EPL.

Now that said only the better, best teams of MLS are not a joke, compared to EPL, and not just EPL as the rest of the average, lower tier MLS teams are a joke comparatively.

That said, MLS is getting better, especially since they are having WORLD CUP, professional players from other countries, EPL, etc, playing on MLS teams.

And since the MLS is both feeding the US World Cup soccer team that did the BEST since Alexi's Team beat Columbia and since the US World Cup team is feeding the MLS.

Reactions: Coug90

Couple things here. First, define joke. It’s the first US soccer league that has had sustained success, and has now been around 30 years. The league is attracting international stars and is bringing in millions of new fans in the US, many of which weren’t previously interested in soccer at all (which was the point I was making - the XFL can bring a new fan to the NFL…whether that’s going to happen remains to be seen, they’ve had one week of games!)

Of course the MLS isn’t the EPL or even close. Pretty much what I was saying, the XFL would be a success if it could do for the NFL what MLS has done for international soccer…generate some more viewers/fans who previously weren’t interested in the sport. The XFL isn’t competing with the NFL like MLS isn’t competing with EPL or international soccer.

Couple things here. First, define joke. It’s the first US soccer league that has had sustained success, and has now been around 30 years. The league is attracting international stars and is bringing in millions of new fans in the US, many of which weren’t previously interested in soccer at all (which was the point I was making - the XFL can bring a new fan to the NFL…whether that’s going to happen remains to be seen, they’ve had one week of games!)

Of course the MLS isn’t the EPL or even close. Pretty much what I was saying, the XFL would be a success if it could do for the NFL what MLS has done for international soccer…generate some more viewers/fans who previously weren’t interested in the sport. The XFL isn’t competing with the NFL like MLS isn’t competing with EPL or international soccer.
I'd argue the stars coming in are on a retirement tour or the young players that make a name for themselves likely aren't staying long. Star power...not good. But currently, the best domestic players play in Europe. If Messi comes over to play in Miami this summer, that could tilt the needle and be a huge coup for the MLS. It does seem like there is a competitiveness in the league, and 30 years is impressive. If the MLS goal is to grow the game overall, then they're clearly succeeding (so that's not a joke).

I hope the XFL isn't leaning on the casual viewer to drive their numbers. This league hinges on the big-time football fans - the fans who would watch games year round, no-matter the competition. If the NFL is background noise for the casual viewer, what is going to convince them to watch the XFL? FWIW, I'm not rooting for the XFL to fail, and if some players want to get a few more years of playing in because they love the game, awesome...but the market feels saturated enough and it will be lowest on the pecking order for view-ability (similar to MLS).

I'd argue the stars coming in are on a retirement tour or the young players that make a name for themselves likely aren't staying long. Star power...not good. But currently, the best domestic players play in Europe. If Messi comes over to play in Miami this summer, that could tilt the needle and be a huge coup for the MLS. It does seem like there is a competitiveness in the league, and 30 years is impressive. If the MLS goal is to grow the game overall, then they're clearly succeeding (so that's not a joke).

I hope the XFL isn't leaning on the casual viewer to drive their numbers. This league hinges on the big-time football fans - the fans who would watch games year round, no-matter the competition. If the NFL is background noise for the casual viewer, what is going to convince them to watch the XFL? FWIW, I'm not rooting for the XFL to fail, and if some players want to get a few more years of playing in because they love the game, awesome...but the market feels saturated enough and it will be lowest on the pecking order for view-ability (similar to MLS).

Lowest on the pecking order for viewability?

MLS is behind 1. NFL. 2. NBA. 3. MLB. 4. College football. 5. College Bball or NHL Hockey. 6. MLS.

There are a lot of sports lower on viewability then MLS soccer.

And MLS soccer games have semi full stadiums, and a lot of MLS soccer games on Cable, Satellite, internet streaming, etc.

And like I said Seattle Sounders was the Tournament Champion vs New York, and the better, best teams from various regions, around the world.

In fact when Seattle Sounders won that tournament championship, it was the FIRST time a MLS team has won that tournament.

Seattle Sounders would be competitive in EPL, etc, as would New York.

So the MLS is NOT last in viewability. And altho the lower tier of MLS is a Joke, the MLS is getting better, and the BEST of the MLS like Seattle Sounders, New York, etc, would be competitive in EPL.

And it's not just Messi, and not just washed up, semi retired international stars in MLS.

Rinaldo and other BIG NAME USA WORLD CUP STARS became not only MLS STARS, but became international EPL SUPER STARS, in the EPL.

Rinaldo has been a EPL, MLS, INTERNATIONAL SUPERSTAR for YEARS, more then a DECADE.

While you know a lot about MLS, EPL, soccer, etc, your knowledge in this way, area is semi lacking if you think that ALL of MLS is a joke, or last in viewability, etc.

Lowest on the pecking order for viewability?

MLS is behind 1. NFL. 2. NBA. 3. MLB. 4. College football. 5. College Bball or NHL Hockey. 6. MLS.

There are a lot of sports lower on viewability then MLS soccer.

And MLS soccer games have semi full stadiums, and a lot of MLS soccer games on Cable, Satellite, internet streaming, etc.

And like I said Seattle Sounders was the Tournament Champion vs New York, and the better, best teams from various regions, around the world.

In fact when Seattle Sounders won that tournament championship, it was the FIRST time a MLS team has won that tournament.

Seattle Sounders would be competitive in EPL, etc, as would New York.

So the MLS is NOT last in viewability. And altho the lower tier of MLS is a Joke, the MLS is getting better, and the BEST of the MLS like Seattle Sounders, New York, etc, would be competitive in EPL.

And it's not just Messi, and not just washed up, semi retired international stars in MLS.

Rinaldo and other BIG NAME USA WORLD CUP STARS became not only MLS STARS, but became international EPL SUPER STARS, in the EPL.

Rinaldo has been a EPL, MLS, INTERNATIONAL SUPERSTAR for YEARS, more then a DECADE.

While you know a lot about MLS, EPL, soccer, etc, your knowledge in this way, area is semi lacking if you think that ALL of MLS is a joke, or last in viewability, etc.
Ronaldo has never played in the MLS. Beckham did for a few years post-Europe. Messi is rumored to potentially be joining the Beckham-owned Inter Miami team.

I think you're referring to the CONCACAF Champions League (Sounders won this), which is separate from the UEFA Champions League (top teams in Europe).

The EPL has some of the top teams in the world. Impossible to say where the Sounders/New York would fall in that league, but it wouldn't be a walk in the park, and highly doubt they would crack top 5.

Here's some MLS TV numbers: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Major_League_Soccer_on_television

Ronaldo has never played in the MLS. Beckham did for a few years post-Europe. Messi is rumored to potentially be joining the Beckham-owned Inter Miami team.

I think you're referring to the CONCACAF Champions League (Sounders won this), which is separate from the UEFA Champions League (top teams in Europe).

The EPL has some of the top teams in the world. Impossible to say where the Sounders/New York would fall in that league, but it wouldn't be a walk in the park, and highly doubt they would crack top 5.

Here's some MLS TV numbers: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Major_League_Soccer_on_television

I said COMPETITIVE. NOT easy, not a walk in park. I didn't say top 5, etc.

Sounders/New York would be COMPETITIVE, in the EPL, Concacaf, UEFA leagues.

It would not be easy, not a walk in park. It would be hard.

But it wouldn't be easy, a walk in the park for those leagues to compete with Sounders/New York either, as Concacaf champions league found out, and Concacaf league would be competitive in a tournament with EPL league and UEFA league teams.

Again it would NOT be easy, and would be hard for Concacaf league, but it would also be hard for EPL and UEFA leagues against Concacaf.

Lest you forget it is the Concacaf league that helps seed, feed, set up, qualify, etc, the Concacaf region's World Cup, and World Cup teams, just like the EPL league help do that for the European World Cup region.

The Concacaf World Cup region World Cup teams of Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, filled with Concacaf players would do ok vs EPL, UEFA league teams.

And the Sounders, New York would be competitive, against Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Mexico, USA, etc, national teams.

It would not be easy, and would be hard, but Sounders and New York would do ok.

The point is, that soccer competition, quality, etc, is closer then you think between THE BEST OF MLS and Concacaf, and UEFA, EPL, US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Concacaf region World Cup, national teams.

But the non best of the MLS is a joke.

But the BEST of MLS is not a joke. And there are or will be a lot of Sounders, New York players on the USA World Cup national team.

The same USA World Cup national team that BEAT a EUROPEAN World Cup national team.

That kind of says something about MLS players, vs European players, because there was MLS players on that USA World Cup team that BEAT that European World Cup team that had EPL players on it, that team.

I enjoy MLS and the Sounders. They would be competitive, maybe mid pack, in the championship, not the prem. They don't have the depth or the star power to play week in and week out in the top league.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
I enjoy MLS and the Sounders. They would be competitive, maybe mid pack, in the championship, not the prem. They don't have the depth or the star power to play week in and week out in the top league.
This is pretty much spot on. No shame in it, either. Wife and I have been season tix holders for Sounders since their entry into MLS. The league has grown in terms of number of teams and quality of play during that time. And, yeah, it’s got a ways to go yet. But still pretty good quality from a lot of teams.
We started going to Sounders games when they were in the old NASL, back when I was in grad/professional school in Seattle. Saw the very first major sporting event in the old Kingdome - Sounders vs New York Cosmos. Those were the days….walk a couple of blocks down to 15th NW, hop on the bus for .25 and get dropped off right at Kingdome
With “student ID“ could get any seat in the house for half price. And the most expensive seats were $10-$12 full price. Great crowds, exciting games, approachable players and coaches. Really turned us into big fans/supporters.
M’s pretty similar back then. Same bus ride, same price. Tickets? Usually got the bleacher seats in left field for $1.50. First few rows right on top of the fielder. Had some great conversations with some left fielders!
Those were the days, my friends…………….

MLS is gaining more popularity by the more people from foreign countries coming in. Soccer is their NFL, they grew up with the sport. Tickets are also less expensive for family entertainment. And for kids to play, less equipment is required and less injuries.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
MLS is gaining more popularity by the more people from foreign countries coming in. Soccer is their NFL, they grew up with the sport. Tickets are also less expensive for family entertainment. And for kids to play, less equipment is required and less injuries.
The timbers attendance dropped markedly when they decided the be a political activist organization instead of a soccer team.

Tahitsat

The timbers attendance dropped markedly when they decided the be a political activist organization instead of a soccer team.

Tahitsat
The Timbers are having whatever problems they are having mostly due to their owner, GM and members of their staff being involved in some pretty nasty shenanigans all wrapped up with the women’s side of things (Portland Thorns).

They have absolutely lessened the backing of their main “supporter’s groups“ for the front office.

But AFAIK, the Timbers and Thorn still are still strong entities. The new MLS season is just starting. It remains to be seen if the Timbers continue to see strong attendance at Providence Park?

I really couldn’t say if you are correct, or not, as far as “marked attendance drop” for them? They didn’t have a real great season last year and most MLS teams are still feeling the impact of the couple of years of Covid issues. Those things also “leave a mark”, attendance-wise.

The women’s team has consistently been at/near the top of their league in attendance. Somewhere in the 20K range, I think? That’s not too shabby.

I‘m not defending their organization in the least. “Hated rivals” and all that……

In addition, I think both Portland’s and Seattle’s “supporters groups” are over the top, self important “bleeps” much of the time, though they are NOT part of the actual organizations. Those groups are the true political activists. They wag the tails of the organizations, so to speak.

I can’t speak for the bulk of the rest of the “fans” (supporters groups think of themselves above the average fan). But my sense is that most of us just want to go see some good soccer. Much like any other sporting event, there are a mix of backgrounds and viewpoints. Folks may be sympathetic to certain ideas, or they may be opposed to them.

I’ve always thought that sort of thing needs to be left at the stadium gate. And the focus, for the duration of the game, needs to be on common support for the team, uniting all the different individuals into a shared passion for the game and their team (whichever sport it may be).

Obviously that’s not always the way things work any more. And I understand that, too.

Soccer is Bullshit. Worse than golf. Football, Baseball, and I guess Basketball is sports.

And I suppose Womens beach volleyball....
Soccer is 2ish hours and I can carry on with my day. I'll take that over 4.5 hours of commercials in CFB.

Just came across this…again not claiming MLS will compete with EPL but the league has been wildly successful…like soccer or hate you can’t argue otherwise. Money talks.

I can remember hearing minor league Arena football league teams went through Wa Workers Comp
Let's note that worker's comp is to pay some small portion of your salary while/if you are injured and recovering. It is essentially employment/income insurance. It is not health insurance. I'd be surprised if Arena or XFL teams are not covered under their home state's worker's comp systems. But that is not the same thing as wondering about their health insurance, which I think was the point that Bleed was making. I agree with him that the health insurance question is very important.

Workers comp also covers the medical cost of injuries sustained while working, not just time loss benefits, that’s what I was referring to. I’d imagine their experience rate is going to be really high, right up there with roofers.

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR
Workers comp also covers the medical cost of injuries sustained while working, not just time loss benefits, that’s what I was referring to. I’d imagine their experience rate is going to be really high, right up there with roofers.
Thanks for the clarification. And with the Mod rate they would have, they probably would not be able to qualify for a normal wc policy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT