ADVERTISEMENT

Yahoo: Pac-12 Power Rankings

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Going into Week 1 they have WSU at #5.

Link: https://sports.yahoo.com/pac-12-pow...n-and-utah-live-up-to-the-hype-162357383.html

washington-state-hbo-show.jpg

Putting Stanford ahead of WSU, with them only having 3 to 6 returning starters, about 1,2,3 on each of Offense, Defense, with a younger, new QB, with a YOUNG team, with a NEW, YOUNG, WORSE OL, AND WITH WSU beating them the last 4 in a row, ETC, is a JOKE.

Putting Stanford ahead of WSU, with them only having 3 to 6 returning starters, about 1,2,3 on each of Offense, Defense, with a younger, new QB, with a YOUNG team, with a NEW, YOUNG, WORSE OL, AND WITH WSU beating them the last 4 in a row, ETC, is a JOKE.
Maybe they have a ton of high 3-star, low-end 4 star mid-4 star, high 4-star recruits moving in to starting roles?

Costello returns at QB

Stanford has a tough schedule too. It's just name recognition and their consistency over the last 10 years.

KJ Costello is a senior and has started 20 games for them.

I still think Stanford is going to have a surprising down year this year. They lost a lot of players... a ton of them and I think it will show this year.

If Stanford was a passing attack, and not a POWER RUN team, with PLAY ACTION PASS

Then having a Senior QB with 20 starts, would mean something, even with only 3 to 6 returning starters, YOUNG team, etc, because that QB could pass, effect the game more.

But with a CRAPPY, YOUNG, INEXPERIENCED OL, he is not going to get time to throw, get sacked, etc.

And with a CRAP, YOUNG, INEXPERIENCED OL, and RB?, TE'S?, Probably not going to get rushing yards, run blocking, pass blocking to help run game, passing game.

And even if did. Who is he even going to throw it to?.

Simple, easy to defend Stanford's Offense. Semi stack the Box, with 6,7, 6.5 in Box, stuff run. Then BLITZ the heck out of them on 3rd down and 6+.

And Defense wont be much better.

I see WSU putting up at least 39+ vs Stanford D

WSU 39, Stanford 13 to 17 to 21.

Rest of the League does similar.

And that combined with PERHAPS one of the tougher schedules in nation, Stanford wins:

Floor:

6 wins

Ceiling:

7 wins

Average:

6.5 wins

Worst Case: 5 wins

Best Case:

8 wins

Like I said, total Joke that higher then WSU in power rankings, and that WSU ranked 5th, 1 spot shy of last place in Power Rankings.

At Least WSU has reason to have chip on shoulder, etc.

I still think Stanford is going to have a surprising down year this year. They lost a lot of players... a ton of them and I think it will show this year.

I think people say that about us every year, but then we reload. Shaw has a strong track record of reloading.

I think people say that about us every year, but then we reload. Shaw has a strong track record of reloading.

Stanford recruits well. They have some ballers. Their kids work hard in the weight room. They're smart. They don't flunk out or drug out or drunk out.

Their issue is acquisition of speed. Specifically, collecting enough of it on defense to run with WSU receivers. Aint happening. Year 4 in a row coming up.

Why is this a surprise to anyone? "On paper" we aren't very good. By "on paper" I mean the recruiting ratings. Bobby 2-3 star just can't be as good as Joey 4-5 star. On paper, Minshew was a dud. Gordon is a dud. And Jacob Eason is a friggin stud. Mr. "smoke and mirrors," Mr. "wins with less" can't do it a again, can he? The fact is too much emphasis continues to be placed on the recruiting ratings when evaluating Leach, not enough on demonstrated ability. Leach has demonstrated the ability to install plug and play QBs and to be successful with "on paper" less talent. It takes time for people to disabuse themselves of faulty notions. Let's face it 3 or 4 years ago this very same team would have been picked for a "battle for the basement." But progress is being made. If you don't believe me, conduct this thought experiment. Our team coached by Helton, Sumlin, Edwards, Wilcox ... Where are we projected?

Stanford recruits well. They have some ballers. Their kids work hard in the weight room. They're smart. They don't flunk out or drug out or drunk out.

Their issue is acquisition of speed. Specifically, collecting enough of it on defense to run with WSU receivers. Aint happening. Year 4 in a row coming up.

Speed at WR is a bigger issue.

Adebo is one of the best corners in the league, maybe the best.

I just have been following roster management really closely and they lost a lot of experience last year and the only saving grace for them this year is their defense which has a lot of experience, however I don't think it's enough to stop the skid.

Their 1st 4 games are Northwestern, USC, UCF, and Oregon.

I will not be surprised if they start 0-4., they lost to Northwestern last time they played in 2015 when they went 12-2, Northwestern is not a bad team. They won 9 games last year and 10 the year before.

USC obviously has its problems, but it's still USC and I think they will beat Stanford this year as the game is in the Coliseum.

UCF is no slouch of a program and I think they will beat Stanford.the game is in Orlando.

And Stanford beat Oregon by 1 TD last year Oregon will be better this year and if I'm right about them taking a step back this year they will lose this game too.

Do not be surprised if you see 0-4 Stanford.

They play Oregon State who I think they will beat for their first win and be 1-4.

Then they play UW who I think will beat them and be 1-5.

UCLA and Arizona are next and I see them probably winning both of these games so back up to 3-5.

At Colorado they will win at be 4-5

Then us in Pullman. 4-6 as we beat them.

Cal and Notre Dame and here it is.... two more losses.

It will not surprise me if Stanford finishes 4-8 this year. Maybe 6-6 if they are lucky and catch some breaks, but I see that as their ceiling this year. Last year they were 8-4 and this year's team is not as good as last years.

Yup like Leach he does a great job of keeping guys in the program. That means full grown men, Srs and Juniors are playing, who are replaced by Seniors and Juniors developing right behind them. Hard to have much of a drop off when you’ve established this trend in your program, and not a lot of coaches are great at this as Shaw and Leach are (In Shaw’s case it helps when you’re at a program that has academic standards where knuckleheads need not apply )

Reactions: Fab5Coug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT