ADVERTISEMENT

Yikes...stinging indictment...

Nice to see this criticism. ESPN has a propaganda piece up now about how great it is to see Clemson and Bama back at it again. I can't imagine the general public agrees. The only real answer is to expand the playoffs.

Too much emphasis staying undefeated throughout the season. If a wild card team can win the Superbowl, why can't we get over that?

Yes, the semifinals were snoozefests. Is the author advocating that the committee just use recruiting rankings instead of wins?

Yes, the semifinals were snoozefests. Is the author advocating that the committee just use recruiting rankings instead of wins?
I didn’t see much of a numbers based argument. As shitty as those games were I think they got the top 4 right. F Georgia, they shouldn’t have lost to LSU. And they had a chance to beat Bama too. The only argument to me was OU or OSU. And we will find out how deserving OSU was, I hope they are motivated to do so and lay the wood to UW.

And Notre Dame didn’t end up playing a terrible schedule. they didn’t have any super heavyweights but they beat some good teams up. Syracuse was playing some solid ball and ND stomped them.

If Georgia wanted to be in the Top 4......they needed to beat Alabama. The stupidity of suggesting that Georgia deserves an immediate rematch counters any good points that the author might have had. The CFP needs to expand to 8 games or just regress back to the BCS title game.

Reactions: rity and Coug1990
I know that there are lots of people who have made this point but this really isn't that difficult. Take the conference champs and then add three. This year that would have meant Ala-Clemson-Okla-Ohio St-Wash-Notre Dame-Georgia and FCU.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
It needs to regress back to before the BCS
Almost any season in college football history could have established at least a consensus national champ with a single game after the bowls. All those split titles? Settle it on the field. One extra game. Keep the traditions the way they were. Oh well, too late now

Reactions: firecoug
If Georgia wanted to be in the Top 4......they needed to beat Alabama. The stupidity of suggesting that Georgia deserves an immediate rematch counters any good points that the author might have had. The CFP needs to expand to 8 games or just regress back to the BCS title game.

The point was that Georgia and Ohio State were one of the top four teams in the nation I can't argue against that. It's spot on.

Almost any season in college football history could have established at least a consensus national champ with a single game after the bowls. All those split titles? Settle it on the field. One extra game. Keep the traditions the way they were. Oh well, too late now
That wouldn't be bad, but I don't need an extra game. I'd rather the PAC/B1G take the Rose Bowl and withdraw from the whole thing completely.

This is the results when using objective measures to define the subjective.

Unfortunately a move to a larger playoff would require pundits, sportswriters, NCAA leadership, and their CFP brokers giving up power and authority. The larger the tourney field, the more power lost.

They only need an 8 team playoff. Every P5 winner and 3 wildcards. 1st round games would rotate. Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange.

Expanding to 8? I mean, how many times does Alabama need to pound the crap out of someone before we just admit they're the best team in the country? Yea, I need to watch them beat UCF by 35 to REALLY be convinced.

Expanding to 8? I mean, how many times does Alabama need to pound the crap out of someone before we just admit they're the best team in the country? Yea, I need to watch them beat UCF by 35 to REALLY be convinced.

It's not even really about that or who would or wouldn't win. Everyone always brings up how changing things would render the regular season meaningless. Well winning your conference is meaningless now. The only right way to setup college football is if winning your conference is the main goal. That is why the old bowl system was way better than anything since. Having the conference championship as the major goal for every team playing is what made college football so appealing to begin with. Everything after winning your conference was just gravy. Nobody was clamoring for a change except the power brokers and the only reason they wanted change was to have more control over the money. None of this was ever about who the best team was. It was simply the best way to control the narrative and drum up as much money for themselves as possible. The unintended consequences of moving away from the bowl system is it got fans way more engaged in who was the best. Instead of having the debate for a week or two every January after the final polls were out, it turned into a non-stop year round debate about who should have had a chance to play for the championship. They're gonna eventually move to 8 after they've milked this 4 team cow through the tv contract. If they don't, they risk college football being condensed to a 10 state affair and tv won't let that happen.

From a WSU perspective, we certainly don't want what that author is arguing for -- sticking with a top-4 playoff and having "a committee of NFL scouts and personnel people and former NFL and college players" identify who the best/most talented teams are. From a non-WSU perspective, I agree that if we stick with a top-4 system, the system the author describes would result in better games. I'm for an 8-team playoff.

The more teams in the playoff, the less the CFP plays a role in recruiting. Otherwise lets just give the trophy to Bama at the start of every year, maybe flip a coin between them and Clemson, and then go back to the traditional bowls.

You have to *at least* have an 8 team playoff with all of the conference champions. There is no validity or credibility to the sport if you don’t play off the conference champions. Every other NCAA sport does it. The NCAA looks ridiculous for carrying on this silly charade.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
The point was that Georgia and Ohio State were one of the top four teams in the nation I can't argue against that. It's spot on.

It really doesn't matter for Georgia. On December 1st, Alabama proved that they were the better team. They did not deserve a spot in the playoff since they couldn't win their last game of the season. Give them a frickin' horseshoe as a consolation prize. Bama shouldn't have been in the playoff a few years ago when they they didn't even make their championship game (even though they won the playoff). Every game matters.....unless you're in the SEC apparently.

One day, when Im in charge...

The number of teams in the playoff wont be exact.

All teams with 0 or 1 loss are in. If it’s an odd number of teams there will be first round bye weeks.

If you lost 2 or more games you have no claim on being in a playoff for national title. Youre not good enough if you lost 2 or more games. Youre only making the playoff longer.

No more bowl games for 6-6. Minimum 7 BCS wins to get in. Conference record must be .500 or better. No more 2-6 in league and 4-0 against soft non con teams.

No more dragging the bowl season out. New Years Day games stay. Playoff games stay. Everyone else plays the weekend before Christmas. No more holiday travel nightmares. No more kids away from home for Christmas. No more airfare prices skyhigh on big travel days. Make it easy for everyone involved. Get the games done. Get teams and fans in and out of cities. Enough of the slow drip of lousy bowl games with stadiums filled with people dressed like empty seats.

You have to *at least* have an 8 team playoff with all of the conference champions. There is no validity or credibility to the sport if you don’t play off the conference champions. Every other NCAA sport does it. The NCAA looks ridiculous for carrying on this silly charade.
The problem is, the NCAA doesn't sanction this. It's the only sport the NCAA doesn't control. That's why there is no true playoff. The only thing the NCAA has to do with D1/FBS football is handing out punishment for NCAA rule book violations. Everything that is an official NCAA championship, has a true playoff or tournament where conference winners are generally represented

One day, when Im in charge...

The number of teams in the playoff wont be exact.

All teams with 0 or 1 loss are in. If it’s an odd number of teams there will be first round bye weeks.

If you lost 2 or more games you have no claim on being in a playoff for national title. Youre not good enough if you lost 2 or more games. Youre only making the playoff longer.

No more bowl games for 6-6. Minimum 7 BCS wins to get in. Conference record must be .500 or better. No more 2-6 in league and 4-0 against soft non con teams.

No more dragging the bowl season out. New Years Day games stay. Playoff games stay. Everyone else plays the weekend before Christmas. No more holiday travel nightmares. No more kids away from home for Christmas. No more airfare prices skyhigh on big travel days. Make it easy for everyone involved. Get the games done. Get teams and fans in and out of cities. Enough of the slow drip of lousy bowl games with stadiums filled with people dressed like empty seats.
Whatever Biggs, my holiday is not complete without watching Auburn beat Purdue by 50!

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Nice to see this criticism. ESPN has a propaganda piece up now about how great it is to see Clemson and Bama back at it again. I can't imagine the general public agrees. The only real answer is to expand the playoffs.

Too much emphasis staying undefeated throughout the season. If a wild card team can win the Superbowl, why can't we get over that?
The sad truth is, the committee is packed with people who think seeing the same 5 teams which have been good for 100 years play each other is an amazing way to live. They also seem to think that's what the rest of the country wants.

If the success of superhero movies has proven anything in the last 10 years, it's that people want to see everybody fight everybody else. Guess these are still watching Casablanca on a black and white Zenith.

The sad truth is, the committee is packed with people who think seeing the same 5 teams which have been good for 100 years play each other is an amazing way to live. They also seem to think that's what the rest of the country wants.

If the success of superhero movies has proven anything in the last 10 years, it's that people want to see everybody fight everybody else. Guess these are still watching Casablanca on a black and white Zenith.
Gotta think expanding the playoffs would mean more money. Surreal? Macabe? that more money in college football, as it relates to this, now seems to be our only hope.

I would be fine with Biggs calling the shots on this...certainly vs. what we have now, easily.

I want 8 teams. But 6 is the next step in the evolution of this. 1st round bye for 1 and 2. At present there is no real advantage to being a 1 seed as Clemson found out last year when their reward was playing ALABAMA.

With 6 you could still get your 5 major conference champions in and 1 wild-card. That's all I have to say about that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT