ADVERTISEMENT

Yost to Oregon?

MikeFingLeach

Team Captain
Jul 16, 2012
My Duck buddy says it's a done deal. Oregon 247 site has a story about Yost meeting with Duck players yesterday. Seems like an odd move for Yost if true...

My Duck buddy says it's a done deal. Oregon 247 site has a story about Yost meeting with Duck players yesterday. Seems like an odd move for Yost if true...

The 247 Oregon story is behind a paywall. It is interesting that they use an old picture of Yost when he was at Missouri instead of a current picture of him at WSU.

Yost may be itching to become a coordinator again. That was not going to happen at WSU. He was burnt out at Missouri with too many hats. He may be recharged and ready to take on more. He was a below average recruiter. It would be a loss, but he can be replaced if he leaves.

The 247 Oregon story is behind a paywall. It is interesting that they use an old picture of Yost when he was at Missouri instead of a current picture of him at WSU.

Yost may be itching to become a coordinator again. That was not going to happen at WSU. He was burnt out at Missouri with too many hats. He may be recharged and ready to take on more. He was a below average recruiter. It would be a loss, but he can be replaced if he leaves.

And/or Helfrich likely sees WSU as the biggest obstacle in Oregon's path in 2016...

The timing sucks in terms of recruiting, but it won't be that impactful. This stuff happens. Maybe Yost doesn't dig Pullman? Maybe Maybe he likes Oregon's glitz? Did the hiring of Dave Nichol have an adverse trickle down effect on Yost?

Oregon needs a QB coach and we don't. That's probably the answer right there. The Ducks can offer him a lot more money/perks than us to begin with, and QB coach under Leach isn't nearly the same as it would be at Oregon.

If Yost wants to fast track back to being a coordinator, going to Oregon and fixing their QB situation is as good of an opportunity as you can get.

Th
The timing sucks in terms of recruiting, but it won't be that impactful. This stuff happens. Maybe Yost doesn't dig Pullman? Maybe Maybe he likes Oregon's glitz? Did the hiring of Dave Nichol have an adverse trickle down effect on Yost?

Oregon needs a QB coach and we don't. That's probably the answer right there. The Ducks can offer him a lot more money/perks than us to begin with, and QB coach under Leach isn't nearly the same as it would be at Oregon.

If Yost wants to fast track back to being a coordinator, going to Oregon and fixing their QB situation is as good of an opportunity as you can

This will have 0 effect on recruiting.

Of course on Oregon's recruiting page they have a photo of Yost in Missouri attire with a Missouri player. They suck. Can't even give WSU credit from where he was REALLY coaching. Can an asteroid fly in and level Autzen please!

Odd from what standpoint? Because the Duck head coach is on the proverbial hot seat? If your desire is to be a coordinator then it makes sense. But it is a small gamble because I am not sure how long Helf will be in Eugene.

Not really concerned about Yost's future even if Helfrich is let go. Former OC at Missouri and then a time learning from Leach is a pretty impressive background. Yost would pop up with offers no matter what happens in Eugene.

Any nice juicy, if unsubstantiated, rumors about his replacement? No worries on my part. As sideways posted, Leach will find us a gem. Just curious. Not much else to do at this time.

Edit: Yost's departure seems to have been in the works for awhile. I noticed that when Nichol was hired, it was reported that he would be Leach's observer from above during games. That caught my eye. Thought briefly that this was interesting as that was Yost's job then forgot about it. So maybe Leach and Yost discussed his leaving Pullman for somewhere else some time ago. Or maybe I am just speculating erroneously as usual. Not terribly important; just thought that I would mention it.

Last edited:
Its not a risk for him, he could be a coach most anywhere. If Helf got run out Yost would find a job in a second. Could be he wants the challenge of sculpting qbs again, which he is very good at. He's better than being a receivers coach, so this seems like a pretty decent move in getting back into the thick of things.

Reactions: chinookpirate
Its not a risk for him, he could be a coach most anywhere. If Helf got run out Yost would find a job in a second. Could be he wants the challenge of sculpting qbs again, which he is very good at. He's better than being a receivers coach, so this seems like a pretty decent move in getting back into the thick of things.
Yeah, you and Kayak have a point though. Helfrich is going to continually be critically analyzed. A 7-9 wins per season could be considered a failure on the UO fans part. While heading there is a great opportunity, I also see how it could be considered a risk.

Interesting that he gets away from Mizzou due to burnout… then heads to UO where no doubt he will be in a pressure cooker atmosphere… Apparently he's recharged his batteries from Mizzou...

He

If Yost wants to fast track back to being a coordinator, going to Oregon and fixing their QB situation is as good of an opportunity as you can get.
He will never be the QB coach, he will never call the plays. Leach's staff is a great place to get on your resume. But wth several of the coaches he lost, they had to go elsewhere to get the title of coordinator on their resume. Not much different in that respect with Mike Price. Price was always going to be the head figure on offense.

Odd from what standpoint? Because the Duck head coach is on the proverbial hot seat? If your desire is to be a coordinator then it makes sense. But it is a small gamble because I am not sure how long Helf will be in Eugene.
does oregon have an oc? i thought they did (wasn't it the nebraska qb?), but they don't have one listed on their coaching staff page.

either way, from what i've read about helfrich it seems like any oregon oc is one in name only. helfrich seems like the game-planner/play-caller for the offense.

who knows?

EDIT: apparently oregon splits the oc into running game/passing game coordinators currently...

He

He will never be the QB coach, he will never call the plays. Leach's staff is a great place to get on your resume. But wth several of the coaches he lost, they had to go elsewhere to get the title of coordinator on their resume. Not much different in that respect with Mike Price. Price was always going to be the head figure on offense.
he's not going to get to call the plays at oregon either. and he's already got coordinator on his resume...

he's not going to get to call the plays at oregon either. and he's already got coordinator on his resume...

At WSU, Leach works with the QBs. If you've ever attended a practice or scrimmage, Leach spends the vast majority of the time coaching up the QB's. At Oregon, Yost will mentor the QBs almost exclusively.

Also, if you're WSU, how do you prioritize salaries for your assistant coaches? Seems to me that with Leach, the QB coach should be one of lowest paid coaches on your staff. The bulk of the money for our assistant coaches should be allocated to the top-2 assistants. Maybe that was discussed behind the scenes? WSU needs nothing more than a young, up and comer to serve as QB coach.

It's a better than lateral move. As stated, Yost will never call plays or get recognized as the OC.

He goes to Oregon, probably is the back-up OC, learns the Oregon system. That alone, with Leach offense, could be a spring board to another OC job.

If their current OC gets a HC job, Yost is probably the next OC.

Good recruiter. Ties to the South and Midwest. It's not a bad move for him. If Oregon tanks and they all get fired, another story.

Seattle Times says Yost was making $241,000

Will be interesting to see what it took for Oregon to land their new QB coach.

This is a big loss. Yost is well liked by the players... But, it happens. Leach will plug and play.

Agree with ttown. Not a strictly lateral movement. Probably a situation with more input on his part than at Wazzu. No chance to advance in Pullman as Leach is his own OC. If he can develop the younger quarterbacks in Eugene to the point that the ducks don't completely collapse when the starter goes down, that will be another feather in his cap. I feel that if their OC spot does not open in the next few years then we will see him back in the Midwest in that capacity.

Not really concerned about Yost's future even if Helfrich is let go. Former OC at Missouri and then a time learning from Leach is a pretty impressive background. Yost would pop up with offers no matter what happens in Eugene.

Any nice juicy, if unsubstantiated, rumors about his replacement? No worries on my part. As sideways posted, Leach will find us a gem. Just curious. Not much else to do at this time.

Edit: Yost's departure seems to have been in the works for awhile. I noticed that when Nichol was hired, it was reported that he would be Leach's observer from above during games. That caught my eye. Thought briefly that this was interesting as that was Yost's job then forgot about it. So maybe Leach and Yost discussed his leaving Pullman for somewhere else some time ago. Or maybe I am just speculating erroneously as usual. Not terribly important; just thought that I would mention it.

Yost and Harrell were both in the booth last season.

All due respect to Yost, but this is a non issue. Leach needs a QB coach like Belichick needs a linebackers coach. Yost wasn't involved with recruiting much anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: froropmkr72
I think Anything Yost contributed in coaching and recruiting wil be easily replaced . I just hope Orygon doesn't learn anything about our offense from Yost that gives them an advantage on D that helps them best us next year . It does bother me that he is moving in conference. Just something dirty about it and I don't like it. I must say that since Yost is a bit of an odd Duck that Eugene and Orygon may be a good place for him ; ) lastly I hope the pressure cooker Yost is getting into boils over next year. I have faith that Leach will replace with a quality coach. In Leach I trust !!

Perhaps Donnie KiIrkpatrick. Leach went to East Carolina for the new outside receiver coach Dave Nichol. Could he go back to East Carolina for the inside receiver coach? Since Ruffin McNeill and his staff were let go, Kirkpatrick is unemployed. He is older at 55, but he knows the system and was known as a very good recruiter. He was also ECU's recruiting coordinator, so he is also probably very good at evaluation, which is perhaps more important than the actual recruiting.

If you want to go younger, Garrett Riley was the outside receivers coach at ECU last season. He is 25 and was a back up QB at Texas Tech in 2008 and 2009 before he transferred to Stephen F. Austin for playing time.

Last edited:
I think Anything Yost contributed in coaching and recruiting wil be easily replaced . I just hope Orygon doesn't learn anything about our offense from Yost that gives them an advantage on D that helps them best us next year . It does bother me that he is moving in conference. Just something dirty about it and I don't like it. I must say that since Yost is a bit of an odd Duck that Eugene and Orygon may be a good place for him ; ) lastly I hope the pressure cooker Yost is getting into boils over next year. I have faith that Leach will replace with a quality coach. In Leach I trust !!
One thing about CML's AirRaid is every team knows exactly what WSU does. There is no real "secret" when it comes to what CML is going to call. 4th and 4? Gonna throw a slant and, btw, get the first down. Yost can talk all he wants. Won't be telling anyone, anything they don't already know, IMHO. Speedy throws and accuracy is the magic sauce with CML. As far as what the WR's are doing… Their magic sauce is precise routes… No shocker.

I don't know, Leach was OC under Stoops at Oklahoma before becoming head coach at TTU. I don't think he ever beat OK while he was at TTU, even in his best year when he was 11-1 and beat the previously unbeaten Texas team that season.

Maybe Oklahoma just had far superior players, but after that game an Oklahoma player was quoted as saying "Coach Stoops told us exactly what they would be doing (Leach's TTU offense) and we were able to jump every route."

Can't be good that Yost knows WSU quarterback/receivers' reads and adjustments, and he is now coaching for another PAC12 team.

I don't know, Leach was OC under Stoops at Oklahoma before becoming head coach at TTU. I don't think he ever beat OK while he was at TTU, even in his best year when he was 11-1 and beat the previously unbeaten Texas team that season.

Maybe Oklahoma just had far superior players, but after that game an Oklahoma player was quoted as saying "Coach Stoops told us exactly what they would be doing (Leach's TTU offense) and we were able to jump every route."

Can't be good that Yost knows WSU quarterback/receivers' reads and adjustments, and he is now coaching for another PAC12 team.

CAL's head coach Sonny Dykes was on Leach's staff at TT and their OC, Tony Franklin, was the RB coach at Kentucky when Leach was the OC. It really hasn't hurt that they knew plays.

Face it.....every coaching staff has game film going back years and one ex-coach won't make a dent in what an entire coaching staff can derive from that film. It's going to make 0 difference.

Beat OU a few times. OU had some lulls in the mid-00s.

Perhaps Donnie KiIrkpatrick. Leach went to East Carolina for the new outside receiver coach Dave Nichol. Could he go back to East Carolina for the inside receiver coach? Since Ruffin McNeill and his staff were let go, Kirkpatrick is unemployed. He is older at 55, but he knows the system and was known as a very good recruiter. He was also ECU's recruiting coordinator, so he is also probably very good at evaluation, which is perhaps more important than the actual recruiting.

If you want to go younger, Garrett Riley was the outside receivers coach at ECU last season. He is 25 and was a back up QB at Texas Tech in 2008 and 2009 before he transferred to Stephen F. Austin for playing time.

"older at 55". If I see you this senior citizen will teach you a lesson, boy. :p

Jarrail Jackson ???

Former GA here at WSU, who left for a job at Davidson. Played for Leach at Oklahoma & a name Gesser suggested to us as a possible candidate at a Cougar event last year that might be a possible Simmons replacement.

Reactions: froropmkr72
Jarrail Jackson ???

Former GA here at WSU, who left for a job at Davidson. Played for Leach at Oklahoma & a name Gesser suggested to us as a possible candidate at a Cougar event last year that might be a possible Simmons replacement.

Forgot about him. It's a good thing we didn't play Davidson this year....word on the street is that they know all our secrets. They could of done a Portland State beatdown on us.

Reactions: wulffui

Amazes me what some of you guys know about the college football coaching world. You've gotta be in the business (stating the obvious?).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT