ADVERTISEMENT

Zelle Fundraiser for Mikalalas, to buy RV, move to Covered Wagon RV park, North Phoenix to be close to 5 year old daughter.

mikalalas

Hall Of Fame
Feb 26, 2007
Hey Hi all. A number of posters here offered, asked me to do a Zelle, Go Fund Me type of fund raiser, to help me buy a RV, and move to North Phoenix, Arizona to be closer to my 5 year old daughter.

So as part of this, I will take a picture of RV, and picture of the Covered Wagon RV Lot park, and post them.

I will also, if I can arrange for somebody to haul me, RV to a WSU baseball game, do a RV tail gate party, and on a first come first serve basis, those that donate can sleep in RV, and avoid the expensive hotels, motels.

I will take pictures of that, and post them here as well, if I am able to arrange the RV tailgate party.

Those who wish to donate, can get the Zelle app, sign up for account, then get my name, email, phone number, that easily use in app to donate money that goto the Zelle account I use.

If I am unable to do the RV tailgate party at WSU baseball game idea, then maybe can do a car wash, or maybe somebody can suggest something.

To get my name, phone number, email, in order to donate, can either ask me, then I will post, and then delete it, etc, or can contact either MI, Coug90, Stretch, an or somebody here that knows that information, etc.

If have any questions, suggestions, etc, can post them here.

There is no minimum donation, and only donate if want to, as I am not asking, and don't want anybody to feel pressured. If you think I need help, donation, etc, and want to help, donate, then you can do that if you want to, and it will be greatly appreciated by me, and I will try to pay it forward someday.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, offering to help, any donations, etc, as I have been working hard to save up, over the last about 2 years, etc.

Hey Hi all. A number of posters here offered, asked me to do a Zelle, Go Fund Me type of fund raiser, to help me buy a RV, and move to North Phoenix, Arizona to be closer to my 5 year old daughter.

So as part of this, I will take a picture of RV, and picture of the Covered Wagon RV Lot park, and post them.

I will also, if I can arrange for somebody to haul me, RV to a WSU baseball game, do a RV tail gate party, and on a first come first serve basis, those that donate can sleep in RV, and avoid the expensive hotels, motels.

I will take pictures of that, and post them here as well, if I am able to arrange the RV tailgate party.

Those who wish to donate, can get the Zelle app, sign up for account, then get my name, email, phone number, that easily use in app to donate money that goto the Zelle account I use.

If I am unable to do the RV tailgate party at WSU baseball game idea, then maybe can do a car wash, or maybe somebody can suggest something.

To get my name, phone number, email, in order to donate, can either ask me, then I will post, and then delete it, etc, or can contact either MI, Coug90, Stretch, an or somebody here that knows that information, etc.

If have any questions, suggestions, etc, can post them here.

There is no minimum donation, and only donate if want to, as I am not asking, and don't want anybody to feel pressured. If you think I need help, donation, etc, and want to help, donate, then you can do that if you want to, and it will be greatly appreciated by me, and I will try to pay it forward someday.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, offering to help, any donations, etc, as I have been working hard to save up, over the last about 2 years, etc.

Other fundraising suggestions, is that I can do Origami, Teach Origami, Sing, Teach how to dance, DJ events for anybody, Referee Soccer, Baseball, Basketball games, Teach Basketball skills like shooting, dribbling, passing, how to defend against guards driving, blowing by you, etc, as my father was a basketball coach, played in junior high, playground basketball, rec league, church league, intramural, walked on to Big Bend Community College team, played 4 on 4, half court, full court, against some of the best highschool, college basketball players, that were missionaries at the MTC(Missionary Training Center), that were playing 4 on 4, half court, full court games at the BYU gym, where as a combo PG, SG, I scored about 6,7,8,9 ppg, and about 7 to 14 assist per game.

Mik, good to see you’re doing well.

Good luck getting a new RV off a message board.

But, I see this as having anywhere from 0%,1%,2% chance on the low end to perhaps. 3,4,5% chance on the high end of being successful.

But, I see this as having anywhere from 0%,1%,2% chance on the low end to perhaps. 3,4,5% chance on the high end of being successful.

I'm only doing this because some here said they want to help, want me to do this.

If they want to help and help, then great. And if not that's ok too.

I have saved up about 6000, the last 2 years. If a couple, few, some, decide to help, donate a little, because they want to, then that combined with what I have saved up semi might semi probably help me get a RV, move down to Phoenix Arizona, to be closer to my daughter.

And if not, then no harm trying to do what some here have suggested, asked that I try to do, because they said they want to try to help me.

But if this would help me, and if I don't even try, then there would be a missed opportunity, chance, and would make it harder on me and my daughter, etc.

My daughter needs me, her father, and I need her, and because of that I need to try, and accept any help, donations, etc, that anybody might give me, because as much as I would like to do it on my own, I either might not be able to do it on my own without help, and or it might take a very long time to do it on my own, and it wouldn't be fair to my daughter to make her wait a very long time, just because I was unwilling to try, unwilling to accept help, just to try to do it on my own, etc.

If people say they want, offer to help, and help, I'll gladly, humbly, thankfully accept that help. And if they don't help, that's ok, I'll keep trying, do it on my own, even if it takes a very long time.

But I have to try, accept any help that offered, given, etc.

So that why I post this, because a couple, few, some here want me to do this, or at least have said that, and because I have to try, accept offered help, etc.

So if this helps, then great, and if not then that ok to, and I'll keep saving, trying, etc, until I either eventually succeed, or until I die.

But I won't give up, quit, and will do whatever it takes that right, etc, whether that's doing it on my own, or whether accepting offered help, from those who have said they offer to help, etc.

Mike, I assume you setup Zelle with your bank or credit union, correct?

If so, it's important to know how you setup your Zelle account...is it your email address or cell phone?

You'll need to post which one you used to setup your Zelle account so we can contribute. I don't think there's anything wrong with posting this, because it's absolutely essential, otherwise it won't be efficient or effective. Just post it.

Reactions: mikalalas

Not sure how well I am doing, as my creatine levels are not going down below 4.25(1.30 or lower is normal kidney function).

If my creatine levels don't drop to 3 or lower by Monday, then on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, I'll have to do a Kidney Biopsy diagnostic surgery to try to figure out what happening, etc.

My Kidney doctor says that my Kidney is small and that if do biopsy, then my kidney probably might probably Bleed internally, and cause more Kidney damage, and probably might probably cause creatine levels to go up, and then might have kidneys shut down, have to have 1 or both kidneys removed, replaced, go on dialysis at least temporarily if that happens, etc.

So my health is up in the air, don't know what will happen, so need all the prayers, luck, etc, I can get, and hopefully my health, kidneys will improve, etc.

Mike, I assume you setup Zelle with your bank or credit union, correct?

If so, it's important to know how you setup your Zelle account...is it your email address or cell phone?

You'll need to post which one you used to setup your Zelle account so we can contribute. I don't think there's anything wrong with posting this, because it's absolutely essential, otherwise it won't be efficient or effective. Just post it.

STCU, Wheatland bank, are not in, covered by the Zelle app thing, etc. But Zelle says that's ok, and said all I need to do is use my name, debit card, email, phone number.

So in order for those who want to donate, to be able to donate, they need my name, and email, phone number.

So here it is:

Name: Michael Hickman

Email: michaelalas2@gmail.com

Phone number: 509-230-6093

STCU, Wheatland bank, are not in, covered by the Zelle app thing, etc. But Zelle says that's ok, and said all I need to do is use my name, debit card, email, phone number.

So in order for those who want to donate, to be able to donate, they need my name, and email, phone number.

So here it is:

Name: Michael Hickman

Email: michaelalas2@gmail.com

Phone number: 509-230-6093
Have you received a quote for Insuring your RV?
What is the semi-annual premium? What is the monthly payment?

Fuel to get to AZ. $500?
Deposit and application fee for the RV lot?

FICO score? Are you going to be approved? They're going to require you to run an application, which looks at your credit score, and your income and liabilities. What is the monthly rent, versus what you're paying now?

Buying the RV is one thing. Have you count the costs about all the expenses and suprise expenses required to make this work for a a permanent living solution?

You do realize that the RV will need repairs and maintance over time. It can be a constant battle. What about having the RV looked at? A buyer inspection from an RV mechanic or dealer? We don't know what we don't know, and it's critical that you are aware of any minor and/or major defects in the RV, including the roof, etc.

Having a buyers' inspection is critical.

Also, typically, landlords increase rent often. Are you prepared to have rent increases annually? Do you have a budget or spreadsheet with all the expenses, etc?

And what about your health? What gives you more stability if you need further and/or ongoing care?

Last edited:

Fuel to get to AZ. $500?

FICO score? Are you going to be approved? They're going to require you to run an application, which looks at your credit score, and your income and liabilities. What is the monthly rent, versus what you're paying now?

Buying the RV is one thing. Have you count the costs about all the expenses and suprise expenses required to make this work for a a permanent living solution?

You do realize that the RV will need repairs and maintance over time. It can be a constant battle. What about having the RV looked at? A buyer inspection from an RV mechanic or dealer? We don't know what we don't know, and it's critical that you are aware of any minor and/or major defects in the RV, including the roof, etc.

Also, typically, landlords increase rent often. Are you prepared to have rent increases annually? Do you have a budget or spreadsheet with all the expenses, etc?

And what about your health? What gives you more stability if you need further and/or ongoing care?
Well M-I, since you brought some things up.....

Mik your plans seem to have been focused on a travel trailer, not an "RV" per se. So do you have a pickup to pull this thing? They don't give those away.

None of my business, but your 5-year-old daughter's mother moved with her to Arizona. There must have been reasons. Do you have visitation rights and/or a parenting plan?

Well M-I, since you brought some things up.....

Mik your plans seem to have been focused on a travel trailer, not an "RV" per se. So do you have a pickup to pull this thing? They don't give those away.

None of my business, but your 5-year-old daughter's mother moved with her to Arizona. There must have been reasons. Do you have visitation rights and/or a parenting plan?

Travel Trailer, 5th Wheel, Motorhome, any of those will do.

As to getting it down there, it cost about $1k to 1.5k to 2k to 2.5k to have a someone haul, ship it down there.

I'm going to have to pay 1500 to 3k to have either a moving van, uhaul, moving company, etc, move my stuff there. Might as well use RV to move stuff down there since either way it's going to cost to do so.

As to the Ex, she moved to Arizona to be closer to her family. She lived with her sister down there, then because of depression, had CPS get involved, and she, I gave legal temporary guardianship of daughter to ex's sister.

I have worked out video chatting, visitation, parenting plan, etc, with both, ex, and sister of Ex.

Last edited:

Fuel to get to AZ. $500?

I'm not buying from a dealer, and not getting a loan, financing. I'm going to buy either from Craigslist, or auctions, etc.

A RV is going to cost about 4k to 6.5k to 9k depending on auction, Craigslist seller, year, type, model, condition, etc.

I need about a 2004 to 2007 to 2010 RV, that in good condition, as RV parks won't rent a RV lot for RV's older then 17 to 20, etc, years old, to avoid having Eyesore RV's.

Covered Wagon RV park rents RV lots for $675 a month. There is no damage deposit, credit check, etc.

I have $6k saved up over the last 2 years. I get $1178 from Social security, and I work part time, about 10 to 13 hours per week at Subway. Rent for my subsized Apt, is $343 a month. I have Medicare, and used to have Medicaid, until my savings went over 2k. I will get Medicaid back, when I spend savings to get RV, and live in it, as they don't count RV against resource limit, if you live in it.

It will take about 1.5 months to 4 months to get RV, and then about 3,4,5 more months of saving to have the money to pay to haul the RV down there, move, etc. And it will take me about 5 to 7 to 9 to 11 months from today to work out all the finances, logistics, etc.

As far as maintenance, care of RV, etc, I will have the $1178 social security, and money that saved up over the months until move, and hope to get a job down there. My Subway Manager, Boss, said that when I move down there in about 6 to 11 months, that he will give me a good reference, goto bat for me to help me get a job down there because he likes the work I do at Subway, and as long as I give him plenty of notice, so that he can replace me, when I move, etc.

Also when, while I am down there, I will continue to save so that I will be able to take care of RV, unforeseen, unexpected expenses, insurance, RV lot rent, etc.

I have a place to park RV until I move down to Arizona. It's at a friend, church members place, and they agreed to let me park it there until I move, in exchange for letting them use RV for a family Reunion.

By the time I move, I probably have about 2k to 4k to 6k to 8k saved up after buy RV, and combined with what I would have left over from buying RV, and from any donations, help, etc, to help move, pay for RV upkeep, insurance, unexpected expenses.

And I will add to that buy saving up what I can after I move, etc.

Inspections, research, is needed in buying RV, unless the price is so low that if RV a lemon, can sell at reduced price, and can get money back and maybe then some.

Inspections is needed more for Craigslist, then auctions, as long as auction company is trustworthy, well known, in a positive way, has good reputation, and as long as research, videos, pictures, etc, helping to show condition of RV.

But wherever possible, I try to inspect, research, an or have somebody research, inspect, etc, wherever, whenever possible, and try to follow the maxim, TRUST BUT VERIFY.

Mik,

Loyal brought up another important fact.

We used to own a 19' 2003 Travel Trailer, and pulled it from Seattle to Pullman, then the second year of ownership, would pull it over to Pullman for the first game, and would leave it over in gated storage for the entire football season, and then tow it back in November.

Several things.

1. You absolutely need a Buyer's Inspection. You don't know what you don't know. You have the inspection, before you pay for it. Repairs are not cheap, even if you do the work yourself, (YouTube).

2. You'll need a tow vehicle. Most SUVs won't pull 7,000-10,000 pounds. Today's Travel Trailers are lighter, older ones, expect to pull 10,000 pounds. Most SUV's don't have this towing capacity, so you'll need a heavy duty truck with adequate towing capacity.

3. If you go with a motorhome, the gas or diesel to fill up your motorhome will be about $1,000, just to fill the tank.

4. You'll need insurance for both your tow vehicle and your travel trailer/5th wheel.

5. If you put all of your "stuff" in the travel trailer or fifth wheel, you're pulling that weight to Phoenix.

6. Just for reference, the cost of moving a car in an open container, (auto transport) from Seattle to AZ is $1,250, and that's just a car. They will allow you to put stuff, up to the windows, but nothing more.

7. I cannot believe the Covered Wagon Park does not require an application, pulls your credit, and does not require a non-refundable deposit.

8. I did a quick Google on Covered Wagon Park, which averages 3.9 in Reviews. Here's one:

"I was here for 3 month and enjoyed having Angie around. She was very helpful and then she got fired much to my disappointment. Since then I had homeless people right outside my door at night. Told the new owners about it and they cared less and said they can't control that. Showers don't work. Sewer was plugged twice. We were out of water for awhile. Cannot recommend this campground to anyone. I have yet to get my deposit back. I called them 6 times about it and they always say they will get back to me, but I never hear anything. Very hard to communicate with them."

Sounds like you're going to have issues at the lowest cost place in greater Phoenix metro. You get what you pay for.

Used Travel Trailer $6,000. Buyer's Inspection strongly encouraged, before you buy.
Used Tow Vehicle $5,000, (reliable)? Buyer's Inspection strongly encouraged, before you buy.
10% Sales Tax and License, plus annual DOL Tabs in Arizona. 10% Sales Tax is $1,000. You can't avoid this.
Insurance for both. That's probably $400 a month.
The tow vehicle will need moderate maintenance every single year. $$.
Reserves to cover endless expenses...$10,000, minimum.
How long until your reserves run out? One year? Two years?

I'm not a financial advisor, but I'm sure there's other's on this board who are?

Can somebody please chime in?

Last edited:
Mik,

We used to own a 19' 2003 Travel Trailer, and pulled it from Seattle to Pullman, then the second year of ownership, would pull it over to Pullman for the first game, and would leave it over in gated storage for the entire football season, and then tow it back in November.

Several things.

1. You absolutely need a Buyer's Inspection. You don't know what you don't know. You have the inspection, before you pay for it. Repairs are not cheap, even if you do the work yourself, (YouTube).

2. You'll need a tow vehicle. Most SUVs won't pull 7,000-10,000 pounds. Today's Travel Trailers are lighter, older ones, expect to pull 10,000 pounds. Most SUV's don't have this towing capacity, so you'll need a heavy duty truck with adequate towing capacity.

3. If you go with a motorhome, the gas or diesel to fill up your motorhome will be about $1,000, just to fill the tank.

4. You'll need insurance for both your tow vehicle and your travel trailer/5th wheel.

5. If you put all of your "stuff" in the travel trailer or fifth wheel, you're pulling that weight to Phoenix.

6. Just for reference, the cost of moving a car in an open container, (auto transport) from Seattle to AZ is $1,250, and that's just a car. They will allow you to put stuff, up to the windows, but nothing more.

7. I cannot believe the Covered Wagon Park does not require an application, pulls your credit, and does not require a non-refundable deposit.

8. I did a quick Google on Covered Wagon Park, which averages 3.9 in Reviews. Here's one:

"I was here for 3 month and enjoyed having Angie around. She was very helpful and then she got fired much to my disappointment. Since then I had homeless people right outside my door at night. Told the new owners about it and they cared less and said they can't control that. Showers don't work. Sewer was plugged twice. We were out of water for awhile. Cannot recommend this campground to anyone. I have yet to get my deposit back. I called them 6 times about it and they always say they will get back to me, but I never hear anything. Very hard to communicate with them."

Sounds like you're going to have issues at the lowest cost place in greater Phoenix metro. You get what you pay for.

Used Travel Trailer $6,000. Buyer's Inspection strongly encouraged, before you buy.
Used Tow Vehicle $5,000, (reliable)? Buyer's Inspection strongly encouraged, before you buy.
10% Sales Tax and License, plus annual DOL Tabs in Arizona. 10% Sales Tax is $1,000. You can't avoid this.

I'm not a financial advisor, but I'm sure there's other's on this board who are?

Well I'm a retired accountant and former motorhome owner not a financial advisor, but I'll try.

Mik I think M-I is being helpful (and hintful) by identifying the financial roadblocks you face here. Spending every last dime to relocate to parts unknown with your health challenges is daunting. What you describe is a situation where you won't have a vehicle, tow or otherwise? How will that work for visitation?

What I see is you wanting to leave a semi-stable situation (health issues aside) to put yourself into what very likely will become an "oh shit" situation down there.

I'm a father who dealt with divorce and visitation and threats of Mom moving out of state so I can sort of relate. Think about what is best for your daughter. I assume that she is in a good place. So my vote? forget about moving down there. It sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen, and not to be judgmental but I don't know if it would be all that good for her. Instead, consider using your periodic savings to fly down there when you can and have meaningful visits (or buy a car with your savings and drive). And start hiding your cash in your mattress so the Medicaid people can't see it.

That is all from me. Good luck with everything.

Mik,

Several things.

I don't have a driver's license. I'm going to have to pay about $2300 to have it hauled down there. I have scoured the internet for credible companies, and their quotes. I won't have a tow vehicle.

Your talking about buying from a RV dealer, store, where taxes involved. Buying from a owner selling on Craigslist usually does not have taxes.

The insurance can be found for about $133 a month from cheaper insurers, like Progressive, The General, etc. I know some people, friends who have cheap insurance.

Maintenance expenses, will be about 3k to 5k to 7k per every 1,2,3 years if RV in good condition, and if take good care of it.

I can't wait til I have the perfect situation, etc. If the situation has to be perfect, near perfect, etc, then it will take YEARS, 3 to 5 to 7 to 9 years, maybe never, forever to move, which is NOT ok, acceptable.

I'm going to need to prepare as best I can, make the financial, logistical arrangements, the best I can, and then move, etc.

The only alternative is too not move, and that's NOT a option. I going to have to take some risk, etc. I already have spent 2,3 years, waiting, preparing to move down there, so I am going to move down there, even if it almost kills me, or I end up temporarily homeless, as thats how important my daughter is to me.

Well I'm a retired accountant and former motorhome owner not a financial advisor, but I'll try.

Mik I think M-I is being helpful (and hintful) by identifying the financial roadblocks you face here. Spending every last dime to relocate to parts unknown with your health challenges is daunting. What you describe is a situation where you won't have a vehicle, tow or otherwise? How will that work for visitation?

What I see is you wanting to leave a semi-stable situation (health issues aside) to put yourself into what very likely will become an "oh shit" situation down there.

I'm a father who dealt with divorce and visitation and threats of Mom moving out of state so I can sort of relate. Think about what is best for your daughter. I assume that she is in a good place. So my vote? forget about moving down there. It sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen, and not to be judgmental but I don't know if it would be all that good for her. Instead, consider using your periodic savings to fly down there when you can and have meaningful visits (or buy a car with your savings and drive). And start hiding your cash in your mattress so the Medicaid people can't see it.

That is all from me. Good luck with everything.

The visitations will work because the Ex's sister will help me visit with daughter by either having me travel a short way to visit, or by bringing daughter to either my place, or a place close by to visit, if I live close enough(about 1 and 1/2 hour away or less(about 7 to 13 to 23 to 39 miles distance).

Also there is plenty of Transit busses, taxi's, transportation, etc, in greater Phoenix metroplex area, etc, so I don't have to lug RV around to visit, and don't have to have tow vehicle, and don't have to have a vehicle, or drivers license, etc, to visit.

Only reason RV, RV lot is necessary, is that's the only option I can afford($675 a month), since apartments cost about $1000 a month to rent, which I can't afford.

Small suggestion would be to possibly buy an RV down there and save on some shipping costs. Lots of retirees down there, I would imagine it's a good market for rv's.

Actually since so many want RV's, and in RV parks, there is huge demand for RV's down there, and so RV's cost more down there, and there isn't a winter, snow season down there, so no cheaper season.

Also whether I get the RV up here or down there, I'm going to still have to pay $1500 to $3500 to move my stuff down there, even if get RV down there, so might as well get RV up here where RV's are, can be cheaper, and use RV to move my stuff.

I don't have a lot of stuff, so using RV to move stuff, probably won't be a problem.

Reactions: moondawgie
For the heck of it, I ran this through AI, ChatGPT, and here's the results:

"It sounds like Mike has put a lot of thought into his plan to move to Arizona and live in an RV to be closer to his daughter. However, there are several factors he should consider before making such a significant decision":
  1. Budgeting for all expenses: While Mike has saved up some money and receives social security income, he needs to carefully budget for all expenses associated with buying and maintaining an RV. This includes not just the initial purchase cost, but also insurance, RV park rent, utilities, maintenance, and unexpected expenses.
  2. Researching RV options: Mike should continue his research on buying an RV. While he mentions auctions and Craigslist as potential sources, he needs to be cautious of scams and ensure he's getting a good deal on a reliable RV. Inspections are crucial to avoid purchasing a lemon.
  3. Understanding RV park requirements: Mike should verify the requirements and costs associated with RV parks in Arizona, including any deposits, credit checks, and documentation needed. It's essential to have a clear understanding of what's required before committing to a specific park.
  4. Seeking additional assistance: Mike may benefit from seeking guidance from local organizations or government agencies that assist individuals with limited incomes. They may offer advice on housing options, financial assistance programs, or other resources that could support his transition to living in an RV.
  5. Exploring alternative housing options: Living in an RV is one option, but Mike should also consider other affordable housing alternatives in Arizona. He could explore subsidized housing options or shared living arrangements that might better suit his financial situation.
  6. Planning for emergencies: Mike should have a plan in place for unexpected emergencies, such as medical expenses or RV repairs. Building an emergency fund is crucial to avoid financial strain in times of crisis.
  7. Seeking council and advice: Before finalizing any decisions, Mike may want to consult with and council with informed advisors who can provide guidance on matters such as RV registration, insurance requirements, and any legal implications of his move.
"Overall, Mike's plan to live in an RV in Arizona is feasible with careful planning and consideration of all potential expenses and challenges. By taking the time to research, budget, and seek assistance where needed, he can increase his chances of a successful transition".

Last edited:
Having owned a trailer for quite a few years I would recommend you factor in new tires as part of the initial cost of your RV. I don't need to tell you from my experience blowing tires in the middle of nowhere but, trust the attached article. The company that hauls your trailer to AZ will probably ream you in charges if it has to repair flats. What I do now is once my trailer tires are 3-4 years old I order new ones. I don't take chances anymore and you don't want to blow tires on your way to AZ. I buy rims and tire sets online and have them shipped for free then I run them over to a Walmart and have them balanced so I can install them myself.

https://rvlifestyle.com/when-to-replace-rv-tires/

Good luck.

Actually since so many want RV's, and in RV parks, there is huge demand for RV's down there, and so RV's cost more down there, and there isn't a winter, snow season down there, so no cheaper season.

Also whether I get the RV up here or down there, I'm going to still have to pay $1500 to $3500 to move my stuff down there, even if get RV down there, so might as well get RV up here where RV's are, can be cheaper, and use RV to move my stuff.

I don't have a lot of stuff, so using RV to move stuff, probably won't be a problem.
Well, Mik- lots of issues for you to deal with, and you obviously have been doing a lot of research. Sure hope you are able to work things out like you hope, and more than that is my sincere wishes for you to get your health problems solved quickly and with least intrusion to you. I am going to through a couple more thoughts out there for you to think about. No magic solutions, but possibly could help out some.

Since the Phoenix RV market is so hot, is there somewhere else you could consider that is closer than WA and maybe even cheaper? Possibly Texas or New Mexico? Yes, I know those places may be just as hot a market due to the border invasion, but it won't hurt to check.

Not having a driver's license will certainly hamper you, but a one way full size car rental can be had for under $600 total. Can you get your possessions down to fit in a car and get a friend to chauffer you down? Or even do a down, drop off, and back for under $1000.

Good luck, and I hope that folks here don't use all their concerns to avoid helping someone that needs it.

I actually ran this through AI, ChatGPT, and here's the results:

"It sounds like Mike has put a lot of thought into his plan to move to Arizona and live in an RV to be closer to his daughter. However, there are several factors he should consider before making such a significant decision":
  1. Budgeting for all expenses: While Mike has saved up some money and receives social security income, he needs to carefully budget for all expenses associated with buying and maintaining an RV. This includes not just the initial purchase cost, but also insurance, RV park rent, utilities, maintenance, and unexpected expenses.
  2. Researching RV options: Mike should continue his research on buying an RV. While he mentions auctions and Craigslist as potential sources, he needs to be cautious of scams and ensure he's getting a good deal on a reliable RV. Inspections are crucial to avoid purchasing a lemon.
  3. Understanding RV park requirements: Mike should verify the requirements and costs associated with RV parks in Arizona, including any deposits, credit checks, and documentation needed. It's essential to have a clear understanding of what's required before committing to a specific park.
  4. Seeking additional assistance: Mike may benefit from seeking guidance from local organizations or government agencies that assist individuals with limited incomes. They may offer advice on housing options, financial assistance programs, or other resources that could support his transition to living in an RV.
  5. Exploring alternative housing options: Living in an RV is one option, but Mike should also consider other affordable housing alternatives in Arizona. He could explore subsidized housing options or shared living arrangements that might better suit his financial situation.
  6. Planning for emergencies: Mike should have a plan in place for unexpected emergencies, such as medical expenses or RV repairs. Building an emergency fund is crucial to avoid financial strain in times of crisis.
  7. Seeking council and advice: Before finalizing any decisions, Mike may want to consult with and council with informed advisors who can provide guidance on matters such as RV registration, insurance requirements, and any legal implications of his move.
"Overall, Mike's plan to live in an RV in Arizona is feasible with careful planning and consideration of all potential expenses and challenges. By taking the time to research, budget, and seek assistance where needed, he can increase his chances of a successful transition".

To get subsidized housing in Phoenix, one has to be on waiting list for sometimes years, and it's hard for even low income to qualify, because so much need, demand for subsidized housing.

Being a roommate is still expensive and cost about $600 to $800 to $1000 a month, and then you have to worry if they will be a good roommate, and having a roommate can make it harder to have visitation, partial custody, etc, in future.

About the only affordable, doable option, is to rent 1 of only 2 RV lot parks that cost about $660 to $675 a month, or rent a $475 a month RV lot, from lake pheasant, pleasant(forget exact name) RV lot campground, that about 2.5 hours from daughter, to the east of Phoenix.

I have scoured for organizations, government agencies to help, and they either don't exist, an or are out of money, help, or can't, won't help, etc.

As far as counselors, advisors, friends, business associates, etc, I have lots of friends who are church leaders, and have important jobs, businesses, etc, that have RV's, etc, that know my situation, etc, that are trying their best to help, advise me, etc.

One such person, says I need about 10k to 13k to buy RV, AND MOVE, pay for RV lot rent, insurance, hauling RV down there, maintenance, unexpected expenses, emergencies, and that my Social Security of $1178 + my Subway Job + Job down there should be enough in addition to what save up before move, to take care of the financial logistics, etc.

Also the nice thing about Phoenix, Arizona, is that if treat RV's nicely, they will last a long time, and need a minimal maintenance, cost less, maintenance, upkeep wise, etc, as long as RV in good condition, and not a lemon, etc.

Having owned a trailer for quite a few years I would recommend you factor in new tires as part of the initial cost of your RV. I don't need to tell you from my experience blowing tires in the middle of nowhere but, trust the attached article. The company that hauls your trailer to AZ will probably ream you in charges if it has to repair flats. What I do now is once my trailer tires are 3-4 years old I order new ones. I don't take chances anymore and you don't want to blow tires on your way to AZ. I buy rims and tire sets online and have them shipped for free then I run them over to a Walmart and have them balanced so I can install them myself.

https://rvlifestyle.com/when-to-replace-rv-tires/

Good luck.

I plan to have new, semi new, semi used, good condition tires, etc, put on RV before have it transported to Arizona.

And tire, wheel inspection is very important because I have to cast a wide area net to find, buy, get a cheaper RV, and have it transported to where I live now.

I have a friend that willing to help me transport RV to where I live now, but having a friend, etc, transport it to Arizona probably to far, and to much of a ask, so will probably have to get a transport company to haul it down there.

And I know about fully vetting a transport company, as there are a lot of transport company scammers.

Well, Mik- lots of issues for you to deal with, and you obviously have been doing a lot of research. Sure hope you are able to work things out like you hope, and more than that is my sincere wishes for you to get your health problems solved quickly and with least intrusion to you. I am going to through a couple more thoughts out there for you to think about. No magic solutions, but possibly could help out some.

Since the Phoenix RV market is so hot, is there somewhere else you could consider that is closer than WA and maybe even cheaper? Possibly Texas or New Mexico? Yes, I know those places may be just as hot a market due to the border invasion, but it won't hurt to check.

Not having a driver's license will certainly hamper you, but a one way full size car rental can be had for under $600 total. Can you get your possessions down to fit in a car and get a friend to chauffer you down? Or even do a down, drop off, and back for under $1000.

Good luck, and I hope that folks here don't use all their concerns to avoid helping someone that needs it.

Other places too far away to do, have regular visitation with daughter.

About the furthest away I can be is the lake pleasant, pheasant lake RV lot campground, that $475 a month, that about a 2,3 hour drive away from daughter.

Ex's sister that temporary guardian of my daughter, said that she is willing to arrange visits once every about 1,2,3,4,5 months if I live 3.5 hours drive or less away.

As far as transportation, I'll hire a company to haul it, and then take a relatively cheaper bus, flight down to Arizona. And there are busses, transit, taxi's, etc, plenty of affordable transportation, in order to visit daughter, as long as I don't live too far away from daughter(7 to 13 to 23 to 39 to 59 miles, 3 hours or less away from daughter.)

If I understand this situation:

- you have current/ongoing medical needs and you’re satisfied with your current medical relationships.

- you need to have visitation with your daughter in AZ

-your SIL is willing and able to facilitate visits.

- funds are extremely limited.

What about a hybrid solution with minimal upheaval?

CheapOair.com

Fly to Phoenix, round trip for $100. Arrange airport pickup/ drop off ahead of time with SIL.

Try arranging housing for a week with your current church elders/ advisors. One of them knows somebody down there. If not, booking.com for a cheap motel near your daughter.

Return home to your established life. Continue working and saving.

If necessary, lather, rinse, repeat visiting your daughter every 6-9 months until:

-You have decided AZ permanently isn’t an option after all(thank God you didn’t upend your life learning this)

- or-

- You have taken your time, saved more money, perhaps enough to get that 10k-13k RV your buddy talked with you about.

Just tossing out ideas.

Good luck, Mik

- you have current/ongoing medical needs and you’re satisfied with your current medical relationships.

CheapOair.com

Fly to Phoenix, round trip for $100. Arrange airport pickup/ drop off ahead of time with SIL.

Try arranging housing for a week with your current church elders/ advisors. One of them knows somebody down there. If not, booking.com for a cheap motel near your daughter.

If necessary, lather, rinse, repeat visiting your daughter every 6-9 months until:

-You have decided AZ permanently isn’t an option after all(thank God you didn’t upend your life learning this)

- or-

- You have taken your time, saved more money, perhaps enough to get that 10k-13k RV your buddy talked with you about.

Just tossing out ideas.

Good luck, Mik

I'll look into that cheapOair.com that has $100 round trip tickets to visit my daughter about every 4,5,6,7 months until I am able to move.

I haven't found anything that cheap, as almost everything I have seen, is about $200 to $400 to $600 one way or round trip.

Thanks for the heads up on, about the cheaper airfare.

CheapOair.com

- or-

Just tossing out ideas.

Good luck, Mik

A RV isn't 10k to 13k to buy, if buy via Craigslist, auction, etc. The 10k to 13k is about the total cost of not only buying RV, but everything that needed for move, etc, and it's not 10k to 13k by itself, it's 10k to 13k + $1178 a month social security + Subway Job up here + job down there, etc.

Can get a RV, as cheap as $3k, as a great condition year 2000 motorhome, that only missing bathroom, water tank, went for $3k at auction, as winning bid. I passed on it, because I want, need RV to have Bathroom, water tank, etc.

Other places too far away to do, have regular visitation with daughter.

About the furthest away I can be is the lake pleasant, pheasant lake RV lot campground, that $475 a month, that about a 2,3 hour drive away from daughter.

Ex's sister that temporary guardian of my daughter, said that she is willing to arrange visits once every about 1,2,3,4,5 months if I live 3.5 hours drive or less away.

As far as transportation, I'll hire a company to haul it, and then take a relatively cheaper bus, flight down to Arizona. And there are busses, transit, taxi's, etc, plenty of affordable transportation, in order to visit daughter, as long as I don't live too far away from daughter(7 to 13 to 23 to 39 to 59 miles, 3 hours or less away from daughter.)
I think I confused you, Mik. I wasn't thinking about you living further away, my thought was that the actual purchase of an RV for you might be cheaper in a market further away from PHX or here in WA. I think the 2.5 hour commute to your daughter will be more than you will want to endure, but may be necessary due to the cost of renting space for the RV.

Reactions: mikalalas
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT