ADVERTISEMENT

Leach detractors- have you seen IT?

Alright hypocrisy chinook you brought up price and championships. Let's see when that happened and what was going in.

We won that Pac 10 title in 1997. and in 2002. What year was that in his tenure?... I'll do the basic math for you. Year 9. It took price 9 years to do it.

Now since you are of the selective memory type how many losing seasons did Price have before he got to the championship... the answer is 5. 3-8, 4-7, 5-6, 3-8, 5-6.

So based on your "Why did he hire Leach" "All that matter are wins" attitude YOU would have the EXACT same attitude toward Price after 3 years as you do for Leach.

Price went 6-5, 3-8, 4-7 his first three years. 13-20 - .393
Leach went 3-9, 6-7, 3-9 his first three years 12-25 - .324

Price took over a 9-3 team and Leach a 4-7 team. Price's predecessor would go on to win the National Championship. Leach's is coaching Team USA after being let go from USF after posting one of the worst offenses in the country.

And yet. there is only .069 and 1 win difference between them.

So all this shows is how absolutely hypocritically stupid you are. Because by YOUR logic they were an idiot hiring Mike Price after his results 3 years in.
You better hope Leach goes 9-3 or 8-4 this yr or your argument is going to look very silly.

And someone put a gun to your empty head and forced you to take part in this thread, right? Just curious: why is it that you and the little sis respond to nearly every post by Wulffui? Is it the moniker that gets you all lathered up? You seem obsessed with the guy. Perhaps another self-imposed ban is in order.
I genuinely enjoy that half the time they're stirred up over something they imagined (like what I actually said about Gibson, or the relevance of Wulff being in my handle from a guy named Spongebob) and the other half is about adamantly defending, what are, at best, very questionable coaching decisions, that wound up being flat out BAD decisions (playing your flu-ridden starting QB needlessly against a 2-9 FCS team, playing Reitnouer at all) from a coach who was an abject failure, while finding that the best career comp for a guy who went 9-40 was a guy who won 60% of his games at the college level and had a two decade career as an NFL assistant. I mean, when you're that engrossed in the fiction...

You better hope Leach goes 9-3 or 8-4 this yr or your argument is going to look very silly.

Since there are quite a number of slow children signs in your neighborhood, I'll repeat this for you. Pay attention now: if Leach flops this season, he'll deserve the criticism/heat. Got that? Most rational fans will wait for the season, however, before they start striking matches. Alas, the dancing around that crazy fire in Harrison, Idaho, is in its fourth year.

I see nothing but a losing record, a falling fan base, lower ticket sales, growing debt and a seemingly endless tired string of excuses from an annoying chorus of Leeches.

I hope, above all, Leach can achieve this season something close to as great as what Walden blessed us with during his career which ended the absolute darkest hour in Cougar football history.
What a loaded post that is only designed to get reactions from people.

You should hope that too, it would be a very fun year.

It's like the former Polk High Star #33 Sponge Bundy would rather see the Cougs LOSE in 2015 to prove you were wrong and he was right 30-mins into BYU game......... doesn't it. Pathetic

What a "TRUE" Coug Football Supporter !!!!

3776885-9396505481-al_bu.jpg

It's like the former Polk High Star #33 Sponge Bundy would rather see the Cougs LOSE in 2015 to prove you were wrong and he was right 30-mins into BYU game......... doesn't it. Pathetic

You have no right to defame Al Bundy this way.

Perhaps you should put on the cheerleading outfit since any criticism of Leach hurts your feelings.

Since there are quite a number of slow children signs in your neighborhood, I'll repeat this for you. Pay attention now: if Leach flops this season, he'll deserve the criticism/heat. Got that? Most rational fans will wait for the season, however, before they start striking matches. Alas, the dancing around that crazy fire in Harrison, Idaho, is in its fourth year.
Well, Vegas already made their predictions..and they predict a losing season...so maybe you should whine to them.

Never been to Harrison, Idaho. Perhaps one of your multiple personalities has?

Last edited:
I see nothing but a losing record, a falling fan base, lower ticket sales, growing debt and a seemingly endless tired string of excuses from an annoying chorus of Leeches.

I hope, above all, Leach can achieve this season something close to as great as what Walden blessed us with during his career which ended the absolute darkest hour in Cougar football history.

Well I see us not recruiting at the bottom of FBS, Going to a bowl game in a decade, Breaking NCAA records, having multiple players drafted in the same year, the highest APR in our History, #1 in Passing, beating USC in the coliseum, beating Arizona in Arizona, the first shutout in a decade where we were the people that won, the biggest comeback in Apple Cup history, coming back down 17 points at halftime on the road against an unbeaten Utah. Having actual offensive line depth, a player drafted in the first round since 2003. A walk on QB walking into his first start on the road against a Pac 12 team throwing for 470 yards five tds zero interceptions and winning.

THAT is what I see.

And for ending the absolute darkest hour in Cougar football history...

The worst it ever was in terms of record over a 4 year span in our history was 1967-1970. During that time we won just 7 games.

The 4 years prior to Walden? 14 wins total. 5 more wins than what Leach was handed. So if you think Walden was a wizard he won 10 his first 3 years...

So Leach was handed 5 fewer wins and yet won 2 more games than Walden in his first 3 years.

And all you are doing is illustrating exactly how little you know about the history of WSU and the actual markers that show progress for our program.

You want to exonerate Price and Walden for what they accomplished, yet you want to forget how they started and did it.

Yet you want to berate Leach for doing it in similar fashion. That is just insane, and no true fan of WSU would do that.

Well, Vegas already made their predictions..and they predict a losing season...so maybe you should whine to them.

Never been to Harrison, Idaho. Perhaps one of your multiple personalities has?

And vegas predicted Utah to be 13.5 point favorite last year and were wrong.
Vegas predicted
2012 Apple cup Washington 13 point favorites and were wrong.
2013 USC loses to Washington State at home...USC was 21 point favorites.

I don't give a damn about what vegas says, and we have a coach that can beat the odds.

Reactions: BiggsCoug

You do know this amounts to cruelty to animals, bi-pedal or otherwise, correct?

And vegas predicted Utah to be 13.5 point favorite last year and were wrong.
Vegas predicted
2012 Apple cup Washington 13 point favorites and were wrong.
2013 USC loses to Washington State at home...USC was 21 point favorites.

I don't give a damn about what vegas says, and we have a coach that can beat the odds.
If you say so.

Kinda like he got us fired up at home to beat the Huskies?

Here is the question I would ask of any coach who had such a move? Did the coach call for the block, or was a there a player who deviated from their assignments? It is unfortuante these things happen all the time. I remember in 2002 WSU just scored with maybe 30 seconds in the half. Holliday was told to kick it deep and he tried an on-sides kick. Even last year, in the third year of a rebuild, Cal already returned one kick for a TD, so next time we kick off we try something different, right? Nope, kick it right to the same player who really hadn't done squat for the entire year and he goes untouched again. same kick, same return. Ids there any part of me that things Leach or his staff teach that? Nope.
Ed, the reason I mentioned the SDS punting failure as the coaching staff's responsibility is because not just one player was coming hard for the punt but they were coming hard from both sides of the line. Maybe two players blew their assignments and that is possible but it certainly looked to me to be a coaching decision. I am just your average couch potato but it looked obvious to me that it was a called play. Maybe wrong again but I don't think so. Only the previous staff knows for sure.

You mention the two straight Cal returns. No, Leach and staff did not teach that. I noticed that the two returns were not just consecutive but identical. Kid catches the ball, starts upfield, sees the middle is plugged, turns to the right, sees a hole and runs through: touchdown. Second kick: kid catches the ball, sees the middle plugged, turns right, etc. It was the SAME DAMN PLAY. It was Russell's responsibility to deal with that failure, he didn't and thirty seconds later he was canned. Russell failed and you can make the argument that Leach was ultimately responsible for hiring him in the first place. (That issue has been dealt with on other threads and need not be revived.)

A bit off-topic but some previous posts have mentioned the word, hate. I was ultimately disappointed in Wulff's results but please don't put me into the "Wulff hater" category, if there even is such a thing. I am a Coug, Wulff is a Coug. I like following WSU football, Wulff was the WSU football coach. I supported him and wished him the best as I am sure most of us did. It wasn't working out. The SDS game was the moment for me that the old definition of insanity finally kicked in. Most, if not all, of us supported CPW while he was here. I doubt that few, if any, truly "hate" CPW and fall into that category but the disappointed category is numerous. Someone famous whose name I cannot remember once noted that 'hate is easy, love is hard'. A few of us may have fallen into that trap but I don't sense that they constitute a sizeable quantity.

Reactions: spongebob11
If you say so.

Kinda like he got us fired up at home to beat the Huskies?

in 2012 he did.

Last year we had a special teams coach fired, our kicking game was terrible, Breske was for sure on his way out, and we had a new QB at the helm, the kids dropped a lot of balls, and even Mayle who was drafted fumbled at a critical point early.

There were numerous things that were not fun about that game, but 1 game isn't make or break...especially if you won that game before the last time it was at home.

How many times did Price beat the huskies in his first 3 years?.... zero. Should have fired him using you and chinook's stupid logic.

How many times did Walden beat the Huskies in his first 3 years?... you guessed it...oh wait no you are too stupid to understand our history.....ZERO

Wulff believe it or not was one of the few to do it...but it took an 0-12 Husky team for it to happen for him. Leach took down a 7-6 husky team.

in 2012 he did.

Last year we had a special teams coach fired, our kicking game was terrible, Breske was for sure on his way out, and we had a new QB at the helm, the kids dropped a lot of balls, and even Mayle who was drafted fumbled at a critical point early.

There were numerous things that were not fun about that game, but 1 game isn't make or break...especially if you won that game before the last time it was at home.

How many times did Price beat the huskies in his first 3 years?.... zero. Should have fired him using you and chinook's stupid logic.

How many times did Walden beat the Huskies in his first 3 years?... you guessed it...oh wait no you are too stupid to understand our history.....ZERO

Wulff believe it or not was one of the few to do it...but it took an 0-12 Husky team for it to happen for him. Leach took down a 7-6 husky team.
They were better than 7-6- that was a ranked Husky team he beat- AFTER his "best" player led a failed mutiny because the new coach was too hard.

Guess how many wins over ranked teams the prior coach had?

Last edited:
Lets not bring "hate" into this again. And I'll use this thread as an example to refute your claim of hate on this board.

Lets look at it from YOUR perspective: CML is average, he's done some good things, done some bad things. It's been kind of a "meh" tenure. But to others, they want to feel like we're on the right road, right? Isn't that human nature? So the more we all look back and see where we were, the better we feel about the now, right? So you call that "hate"? I don't.

To be clear, I don't 100% agree with this assessment I've put out there, I'm playing devils advocate here. But just because people are talking about him, you don't have to go to the lowest lying fruit and go there. You can try to think beyond the easy, politically charged, emotionally charged, hand fed word of this worlds press and call it "hate". There's multiple reasons for such talk.

Another one being, just the pure joy of watching you and your brother fight over who's going to have the last word… there's another good and genuine one.

95...my sincere apologies. Why I hate the existing format. Text gets lost, words go missing, and sometimes a response meant for one person goes to another. Very key word and sentence missing. What was in my head, written, but never got posted is Flat talked about hate, a very powerful word, and I wouldn't accuse anyone of hate unless I personally met them; But I will say there is an obsession with regards to Wulff. Leach's either accomplishments or shortcomings can be summed up without bringing a Wulff comparison. For example, I knew the moment Leach would e successful is the moment he talked about recruiting the offensive line. Or I knew Leach didn't have it when the special teams and defense regressed while playing his recruits.

But what happened is the thread deviated into when they knew Wulff didn't have it. Deviation which has frustrated you when I deviate from the original topic. The original topic was about Leach. I could easily answer that question one way or another without the slightest reference to the past.

EDIT: Another one, just human nature to want to be "right". Hence your inability to stop posting on such threads, as well as the existence of such threads...

in 2012 he did.

Tron, really, are you saying the average fan should have the same expectations of Leach that they had of Walden and Wulff?

It's a thread about if the current coach has lost your faith, and when that happened- the idea the our last coach would better provide examples of when that happened is not ridiculously foreign.

I didn't have a "Eureka!" moment with Doba, so its not a hard and fast rule.

Tron, really, are you saying the average fan should have the same expectations of Leach that they had of Walden and Wulff?
Are you saying the "average" fan built their expectations based on what he had at TT, and not what he was left, personnel wise, at WSU? Did "average" fans think it was like the NFL, where Leach could just cut everyone and bring in his own guys all at once?

in 2012 he did.

Was Price or Walden or Wulff getting paid 2.5 million a yr? We have been told repeatedly on this forum that expectations need to be raised. This is big boy football. No more excuses.

And yet when expectations are raised, you and the others on here backpedal faster than a DB.

And again, if we don't go 8-4, your argument looks silly...and I sure don't see a team that is anything close to that '92 team.

No you idiot. I'm saying that people should have higher expectations than what they did the first 3 years...which Leach did.

Leach took us to a bowl game. Leach won 12 games.

Walden didn't take us to a damn thing. won only 10 games
Wulff won 5 games and dug us a grave.

and Leach was only 1 game shy of Price in year 3 the coach that took us to two rose bowls.

So by simple logic Leach is our next Mike Price, and he's following the same pattern. It's just that YOU and other idiots can't see that because you selectively forgot how Price did it...or even Walden did it for that matter.

Was Price or Walden or Wulff getting paid 2.5 million a yr? We have been told repeatedly on this forum that expectations need to be raised. This is big boy football. No more excuses.

And yet when expectations are raised, you and the others on here backpedal faster than a DB.

And again, if we don't go 8-4, your argument looks silly...and I sure don't see a team that is anything close to that '92 team.

Just because he's paid what coaches are supposed to be paid in this time has absolutely no bearing on what that coach does. It just means would that coach WANT to take the job because it is in line salary wise for the position.

Tell me sponge. What better coach that had better than an 84–43 record in a BCS conference beat the #1 team in the country, ranked as high as #2 in the BCS and went to 10 bowl games in 10 years would come to Pullman... to coach the disaster that Wulff created (average #90 in recruiting and only 9)...for less than 2.5. You won't, and can't, tell me a single damn name.

What magical person would walk in the door and completely take the roster we had and win. Teaching them a new offense and new defense which is what happens when new coaches come in. A new head man was not going to keep anyone from a staff that only won 9 games in 4 years.

The expectation that Leach would walk in and magically change WSU into world beaters was ridiculous. We didn't have the kinds of players to even really compete, and yet here Leach is sending Multiple people in the same year to the NFL draft...recruiting at a reasonable level...breaking NCAA records...taking us to a bowl game...having the highest APR in our history... but what?...you want it instantly?!? Price didn't do it. Walden didn't do it...Nobody aside from Ericson did it in 2 years or less. EVER. ever...in our 96 year history.

Raising expectations is good, but actually having intelligent and REASONABLE expectations apparently is too hard for a simple minded person like yourself.

If Leach took over a 9 win / multiple bowl team then sure, but he didn't. He took over one of the worst BCS programs...yet here he is doing things we haven't been able to accomplish in a decade.

Does this really make logical sense? It's approximately 325 miles from my house to Pullman. Whether I drive an expensive new car or the car I had when I was in school, it is still approximately 325 miles. Just because Leach is being paid market rate does not mean he can magically change the time it takes to change a program in Pullman.

You are not paying Leach for speed. The money that Leach is making is irrelevant in that regard. You are paying Leach for longterm results.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Does this really make logical sense? It's approximately 325 miles from my house to Pullman. Whether I drive an expensive new car or the car I had when I was in school, it is still approximately 325 miles. Just because Leach is being paid market rate does not mean he can magically change the time it takes to change a program in Pullman.

You are not paying Leach for speed. The money that Leach is making is irrelevant in that regard. You are paying Leach for longterm results.
Does it make logical sense to base your expectations on what other people tell you to expect, rather than what you know to be true? There's no point in even discussing logic.

No you idiot. I'm saying that people should have higher expectations than what they did the first 3 years...which Leach did.

Leach took us to a bowl game. Leach won 12 games.

Walden didn't take us to a damn thing. won only 10 games
Wulff won 5 games and dug us a grave.

and Leach was only 1 game shy of Price in year 3 the coach that took us to two rose bowls.

So by simple logic Leach is our next Mike Price, and he's following the same pattern. It's just that YOU and other idiots can't see that because you selectively forgot how Price did it...or even Walden did it for that matter.
What are you talking about? Walden took us the the Holiday bowl.. And got the Apple Cup in Pullman.

May want to look into the mirror before calling one an idiot.

Reactions: chinookpirate
What are you talking about? Walden took us the the Holiday bowl.. And got the Apple Cup in Pullman.

May want to look into the mirror before calling one an idiot.

Year 1 Walden.
11 Nov 25, 1978 Sat Washington State Washington Pac-10 L 8 38 3 7 1 L 7 Spokane, WA

Year 2 Walden
11 Nov 17, 1979 Sat Washington State @ (16) Washington Pac-10 L 7 17 3 8 0 L 2

Year 3 Walden
Nov 22, 1980 Sat Washington State (16) Washington Pac-10 L 23 30 4 7 0 L 1 Spokane, WA

Every single day you come on here and every single day you make yourself out to be the poster child for stupidity.

It's one thing to be as dumb as you are and keep coming back spouting the same crap...but it's another when you don't even know your own team's history and then argue against it.

Year 1 Walden.
11 Nov 25, 1978 Sat Washington State Washington Pac-10 L 8 38 3 7 1 L 7 Spokane, WA

Year 2 Walden
11 Nov 17, 1979 Sat Washington State @ (16) Washington Pac-10 L 7 17 3 8 0 L 2

Year 3 Walden
Nov 22, 1980 Sat Washington State (16) Washington Pac-10 L 23 30 4 7 0 L 1 Spokane, WA

Every single day you come on here and every single day you make yourself out to be the poster child for stupidity.

It's one thing to be as dumb as you are and keep coming back spouting the same crap...but it's another when you don't even know your own team's history and then argue against it.
I thought you were making a blanket statement regarding Walden and didn't see you were talking about the first 3 yrs as I don't usually read your jiberish.

You keep mentioning the bowl game like a F'ng idiot...we had a losing record! Hello! We lost to Colorado St! Hello!

The miracle season of 6-7 was sandwiched by 2 3-9 seasons.

2 3-9 seasons is not what anyone had in mind when paying Leach 2.5. If you said that is what you expected, you are a liar.

You freaking act like we went to the Rosebowl in 2013.

Leach better go 8-4 next yr or you are gonna look like an even bigger idiot than you already are.

Last edited:
I thought you were making a blanket statement regarding Walden and didn't see you were talking about the first 3 yrs as I don't usually read your jiberish.

You keep mentioning the bowl game like a F'ng idiot...we had a losing record! Hello! We lost to Colorado St! Hello!

The miracle season of 6-7 was sandwhiched by 2 3-9 seasons.

2 3-9 seasons is not what anyone had in mind when paying Leach 2.5. If you said that is what you expected, you are a liar.

You freaking act like we went to the Rosebowl in 2013.
Yeah! How dare you mention our team in a bowl game? If you were a real fan, you'd piss and moan about the only bowl game in a decade and find ways to remind us how well coached 2008 was!

Yeah! How dare you mention our team in a bowl game? If you were a real fan, you'd piss and moan about the only bowl game in a decade and find ways to remind us how well coached 2008 was!
I don't think 6-6 teams should go to bowls. It's rewarding mediocrity. And we ended with a losing record and lost our last two games of the season. If you want to celebrate that, I won't stop you.

I don't think 6-6 teams should go to bowls. It's rewarding mediocrity. And we ended with a losing record and lost our last two games of the season. If you want to celebrate that, I won't stop you.
That team got wins a bowl team would get. I got to be interested in the team having meaningful games after October 1st, and having a first round draft pick and a game I could watch during the holidays for the first time in a decade.

Now I'm not putting it on a pedestal, as you allege, but if I watch it build from face-meltingly bad to better than decent team within two years, I see that as above standard progression.

Again, there's not a single person who was happy with last year, and I've detailed at length my issues with how this offseason has been handled- but last year was a standard issue "bad Cougar year"- a few terrible units that really submerged the team as a whole, with good pieces going forward to build around, so its odd that you associate it with "circus music" football, given how we recently we got to see actual circus music football.

Last year was a disappointment.

It wasn't an embarrassment.

You are so dumb. A bowl game means extra practice so even if it is a 6-6 team the extra practice time is important for the future. We actually didn't get to benefit from it much when we went because our bowl was so early. 3 weeks. The further your bowl is the better. Bowl games are also important because kids want to play for a team that can make it to the post season. They receive gifts and other items for participating plus the extra travel.

There were many extra benefits for achieving that for the future of the program and your pathetic unhappiness about achieving that is absolutely ridiculous

Getting to the post season is a big step on the road to recovery for the program, and Leach achieved that.

Sorry that doesn't fit your dumbass narrative of...

"oh walk in the door here is 2.5 million! now take our 9 wins over 4 years bottom of fbs roster to the rose bowl! WHAT?!!?!? OMG worst ever. anyone that recognizes you making positive steps toward the goal is an idiot!...How could you take us to a bowl game! In year 2! We paid you 2.5 million I expect NAtional chmpship!@!! 2.5 Million! blar blar don't tell me about how price and Walden both had 3 win seasons!?!? 2.5 million means automatic wins?!?! durr durr 2.5 million should mean automatic rose bowl! I mean all the other teams that pay 2.5 million go to the rose bowl!!..don't tell me most don't!...my small brain can't process deductive reasoning or logic...or facts"

2-11
1-11
2-10
4-8

Is not what we expected when Wuff was hired for $600K either.

You are so dumb. A bowl game means extra practice so even if it is a 6-6 team the extra practice time is important for the future. We actually didn't get to benefit from it much when we went because our bowl was so early. 3 weeks. The further your bowl is the better. Bowl games are also important because kids want to play for a team that can make it to the post season. They receive gifts and other items for participating plus the extra travel.

There were many extra benefits for achieving that for the future of the program and your pathetic unhappiness about achieving that is absolutely ridiculous

Getting to the post season is a big step on the road to recovery for the program, and Leach achieved that.

Sorry that doesn't fit your dumbass narrative of...

"oh walk in the door here is 2.5 million! now take our 9 wins over 4 years bottom of fbs roster to the rose bowl! WHAT?!!?!? OMG worst ever. anyone that recognizes you making positive steps toward the goal is an idiot!...How could you take us to a bowl game! In year 2! We paid you 2.5 million I expect NAtional chmpship!@!! 2.5 Million! blar blar don't tell me about how price and Walden both had 3 win seasons!?!? 2.5 million means automatic wins?!?! durr durr 2.5 million should mean automatic rose bowl! I mean all the other teams that pay 2.5 million go to the rose bowl!!..don't tell me most don't!...my small brain can't process deductive reasoning or logic...or facts"
Once again, I didn't read your novel... But 2 3-9 seasons...that means 2 out if his 3 seasons had a worse record than the 2011 team which was coached by the worse coach in history.

Once again, I didn't read your novel... But 2 3-9 seasons...that means 2 out if his 3 seasons had a worse record than the 2011 team which was coached by the worse coach in history.

I'm well aware you can't read... It's a struggle for you to comprehend basic sentences or ideas much less a novel.

4 out of 9 seasons Walden won 3 games.
and 4 out of 14 seasons Price won 3 games.

So you need to be twice as mad at Price and Walden than Leach because he has had 2.

Yes, and in the other year, he won more games than Wulff won in his first three years- COMBINED.

That's the guy who gave Leach his foundation. I'm sure a 6-40 foundation built on players who didn't want to try, had nothing to do with a guy who'd had only winning seasons for a decade kicking out 2 three win seasons, your "coaching has passed him by" theory is way better.

[QUOTE="Coug1990, post:

You are not paying Leach for speed. The money that Leach is making is irrelevant in that regard. You are paying Leach for longterm results.[/QUOTE]

When should we expect to see progress on that long term results part?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT