ADVERTISEMENT

Leach detractors- have you seen IT?

Yes, and in the other year, he won more games than Wulff won in his first three years- COMBINED.

That's the guy who gave Leach his foundation. I'm sure a 6-40 foundation built on players who didn't want to try, had nothing to do with a guy who'd had only winning seasons for a decade kicking out 2 three win seasons, your "coaching has passed him by" theory is way better.

Leach can point to both our Pac Championship trophies and say to recruits "This proves we CAN win Championships at Washington State"... as they tour the best facilities in the conference.

Walden was able to point to 4 head coaches in 4 years, ZERO head coaching experience, no exposure, little to no TV, no bowl games in 50 years, smallest roster in the conference, perilous continued membership in the Pac and shared locker rooms... and one away game victory in the Apple Cup from the Rose Bowl.

Walden could also point to becoming PAC coach of the year in year 4.

Reactions: spongebob11
Leach can point to both our Pac Championship trophies and say to recruits "This proves we CAN win Championships at Washington State"... as they tour the best facilities in the conference.

Walden was able to point to 4 head coaches in 4 years, ZERO head coaching experience, no exposure, little to no TV, no bowl games in 50 years, smallest roster in the conference, perilous continued membership in the Pac and shared locker rooms... and one away game victory in the Apple Cup from the Rose Bowl.

Jim Walden was what was needed at WSU at that time. He was not a good head coach. His 17 year record showed that. But, he brought stability at WSU and that was invaluable. For that, I thank him.

Walden could point to the 6-5 record the year before and that we went to the rose bowl in our history before.
He also didn't win the Apple Cup the first 4 years...including the year he won the Pac coach of the year.
He also went to 1 bowl game in 9 years. The only bowl game ever in his career.
He also finished with a .386 Pct over his career
He also won 2 fewer games than Leach his first 3 in pullman.
He also had twice as many 3 win seasons as Leach.
Also 6 out of 9 seasons were a losing record for Walden the wizard.

To be accurate about his history.

I'll try now to illustrate how screwed up the program was when Leach walked in by using colors and pictures because some of you have said you can't read. You see that crimson bulge between everybody else...yeah...that is how bad it was and how big the disparity was in terms of talent.

vNEk6UF.png

Leach wasn't going to fix that over night, and as you can see we actually are still near the bottom, but at least beating out some schools occasionally. This is a big step forward for us, but one that we needed to happen to be able to compete.

The gap is closing for us, and the more steps we take will close that gap further and further. But you don't just overcome that kind of tank in 1 2 or 3 years.

Why does Walden get a point for being able to reference his own lack of experience?

He also took over a team that won six games, as opposed to taking over for a guy who couldn't do that in three years.

Walden could point to the 6-5 record the year before and that we went to the rose bowl in our history before.
He also didn't win the Apple Cup the first 4 years...including the year he won the Pac coach of the year.
He also went to 1 bowl game in 9 years. The only bowl game ever in his career.
He also finished with a .386 Pct over his career
He also won 2 fewer games than Leach his first 3 in pullman.
He also had twice as many 3 win seasons as Leach.
Also 6 out of 9 seasons were a losing record for Walden the wizard.

To be accurate about his history.

I'll try now to illustrate how screwed up the program was when Leach walked in by using colors and pictures because some of you have said you can't read. You see that crimson bulge between everybody else...yeah...that is how bad it was and how big the disparity was in terms of talent.

vNEk6UF.png

Leach wasn't going to fix that over night, and as you can see we actually are still near the bottom, but at least beating out some schools occasionally. This is a big step forward for us, but one that we needed to happen to be able to compete.

The gap is closing for us, and the more steps we take will close that gap further and further. But you don't just overcome that kind of tank in 1 2 or 3 years.
That three year stretch that looks like a giant pothole on the graph that's way below ANY other team- I wonder who was in charge for that. Maybe "The Crimson Crater" would be an appropriate Wulff nickname.

Last edited:
That three year stretch that looks like a giant pothole on the graph that's way below ANY other team- I wonder who was in charge for that.

It was basically the equivalent of a near death penalty without the actual death penalty. Add in the poor coaching and it is no surprise that during the Wulff era we won just 4 pac 12 games in 4 years.

In contrast Leach has won 7 in 3...coming out of that disaster. Recruiting like what happened in that dip takes quite a while to shake off but it's clear we are getting out of it.

It was basically the equivalent of a near death penalty without the actual death penalty. Add in the poor coaching and it is no surprise that during the Wulff era we won just 4 pac 12 games in 4 years.

In contrast Leach has won 7 in 3...coming out of that disaster. Recruiting like what happened in that dip takes quite a while to shake off but it's clear we are getting out of it.
The really informative chart would overlay Wulff recruiting against the Mountain West- I bet it's near the bottom of that weaker conference, too.

4 head coaches in 4 years.

Perilous membership in the Pac with Mike quaLude publically rallying to give us the boot, along with USC.

ZERO bowl games.

NO coach willing to take the job.

No Jack Thompson

No Mike Levenseller.

NO facilities

Alumni demanding extorting WSU athletics to drop Pullman altogether

Home games at Albi

Mike Leach has a cakewalk in comparison. Anyone "not" affiliated with Leach's PR firm ( hi kuug-a-Tron!) knows this.

Perilous membership in the Pac with Mike quaLude publically rallying to give us the boot, along with USC.

ZERO bowl games.

No Jack Thompson

No Mike Levenseller.

NO facilities

Home games at Albi

Mike Leach has a cakewalk in comparison. Anyone "not" affiliated with Leach's PR firm ( hi kuug-a-Tron!) knows this.
Except he did have Jack Thompson.

I just picked the easiest one, I'm sure there's other falsehoods in your Walden press release.

Leach would have been better off having three different guys succeed him than having just one Paul Wulff. Those guys got hired on to higher profile jobs for their work putting pieces in place for Walden- (like the aforementioned #3 pick in the draft QB) The guy who proceeded Leach? Exiled to coaching Siberia.

Last edited:
Reactions: YakiCoug

ZERO bowl games.

No Jack Thompson

No Mike Levenseller.

NO facilities

Home games at Albi

I would love some Leach PR firm money have him contact me.

If it was so hard and so impossible and Walden was this magical guy who defied the odds why did Warren Powers win 6 games the year before Walden? Without the facilities and what not.

The last time we went to a bowl game before Leach was 2003. 8 years. Two full recruiting classes. IN THE MODERN ERA. That is beyond bad. But a "cakewalk" as you describe.

Here's some more history for you. How many winning seasons were before Walden 8 years prior?
2. Warren Powers 6-5, Jim Sweeney went 7-4 in 1972 with a final AP ranking of #19 in the country.

Leach didn't get any of that. He was given one the worst recruited programs in the BCS era, that fielded some of the worst teams in the BCS era.

Number of games won prior to Walden over a 4 year span. 14.
Number of games won prior to Leach over a 4 year span. 9

Walden was handed a program that had won 5 more games than Leach over a 4 year period.,,

and yet...the first 3 years...

Number of wins for Walden after 3 years 10 wins
Number of wins for Leach after 3 years 12 wins.

So Walden was given a more successful program than Leach and yet produced worse results the first 3 years.

See that's why I like bringing up this stuff because the second you show people that our "heralded greatest coaches of all time" actually started out just like Leach some even worse it totally makes you wonder what Leach will be capable of once he cleans up the mess Wulff left him.

That's why you see breakouts for Price in year 4, even Walden in year 4. Do I think we will do much better this year..yeah I do. How much I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me to win 6-8 games.

I swear our fan base is the only one dumb enough to complain about a guy who is digging us out of a grave and takes us to a bowl game his second year when we've only gone to 9 in our entire history.

And then...and this part kills me...and then... can't understand that the only other coaches who did started out the exact same way he is...but complain about how the new guy doing it..the same way...and when you point it out to them..they accuse you of being part of some conspiracy PR firm.

I would love some Leach PR firm money have him contact me.

If it was so hard and so impossible and Walden was this magical guy who defied the odds why did Warren Powers win 6 games the year before Walden? Without the facilities and what not.

The last time we went to a bowl game before Leach was 2003. 8 years. Two full recruiting classes. IN THE MODERN ERA. That is beyond bad. But a "cakewalk" as you describe.

Here's some more history for you. How many winning seasons were before Walden 8 years prior?
2. Warren Powers 6-5, Jim Sweeney went 7-4 in 1972 with a final AP ranking of #19 in the country.

Leach didn't get any of that. He was given one the worst recruited programs in the BCS era, that fielded some of the worst teams in the BCS era.

Number of games won prior to Walden over a 4 year span. 14.
Number of games won prior to Leach over a 4 year span. 9

Walden was handed a program that had won 5 more games than Leach over a 4 year period.,,

and yet...the first 3 years...

Number of wins for Walden after 3 years 10 wins
Number of wins for Leach after 3 years 12 wins.

So Walden was given a more successful program than Leach and yet produced worse results the first 3 years.

See that's why I like bringing up this stuff because the second you show people that our "heralded greatest coaches of all time" actually started out just like Leach some even worse it totally makes you wonder what Leach will be capable of once he cleans up the mess Wulff left him.

That's why you see breakouts for Price in year 4, even Walden in year 4. Do I think we will do much better this year..yeah I do. How much I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me to win 6-8 games.

I swear our fan base is the only one dumb enough to complain about a guy who is digging us out of a grave and takes us to a bowl game his second year when we've only gone to 9 in our entire history.

And then...and this part kills me...and then... can't understand that the only other coaches who did started out the exact same way he is...but complain about how the new guy doing it..the same way...and when you point it out to them..they accuse you of being part of some conspiracy PR firm.

Call it the Inconsistency Crusade. The aStep2slow/HWGC Club is good for a laugh, however.

I thought you were making a blanket statement regarding Walden and didn't see you were talking about the first 3 yrs as I don't usually read your jiberish.

You keep mentioning the bowl game like a F'ng idiot...we had a losing record! Hello! We lost to Colorado St! Hello!

The miracle season of 6-7 was sandwiched by 2 3-9 seasons.

2 3-9 seasons is not what anyone had in mind when paying Leach 2.5. If you said that is what you expected, you are a liar.

You freaking act like we went to the Rosebowl in 2013.

Leach better go 8-4 next yr or you are gonna look like an even bigger idiot than you already are.
again, what people were expecting to happen is irrelevant, fans have unrealistic, and in your case uninformed opinions on what should happen. Your icon left the program a dumpster fire yet you "expected" a major turnaround in only 3 years or less? not possible with the roster that was left behind. Your hyperbole about expectations is just that

I looked for fun. In his time as WSU coach, Wulff NEVER landed a recruiting class that would have put him in the top third... of the Mountain West Conference.

Or the Western Athletic Conference before they crumbled.

More than half the teams in weaker conferences outrecruited Wulff at least two of his four years, including the CSU team we lost the bowl game to. That's pitiful for any power conference team in a given year, but the repetition is "worst coach ever" territory.

Reactions: Cougatron
I just expected to win more than 2 games with a record setting QB.

Some here apparently didn't. So what?

It's understandable if you want to win more games. I think everybody here wants to win every single game, but what is best for everybody, the people here, the admin, Leach, the players, and WSU in general is to be realistic in where the program was, and recognize what is changing and be supportive of that.

After 3 years with Leach our recruiting has significantly increased, we've been to a bowl game, we've broken NCAA records, beaten USC, Arizona, Cal, Oregon State, and Utah in their own house., our APR is the highest its ever been in our history. We have 16 players 300+ lbs on the roster as opposed to 2012 with just six. That's progress for us, and have a foundation to now build to that next step which is going to bowl games a lot more frequently.

Look if we hadn't had that kind of progress and went 2-11, 1-11,2-10, bottom 20% of FBS in recruiting, and terrible APR the first 3 years under Leach I would say we have a big big problem because nothing changed. But the reality is there is a lot of progress. It is changing for the better.

Is it as fast as everybody would want? No, but it's not really reasonable to think that it would be considering how far in a hole we were. If we were Ohio State loaded to the teeth with 4/5 star kids then yeah of course the expectation would be to win quickly, but we aren't that kind of program. That's why I bring up the history stuff to show you and everyone else how it was done when we came back to relevancy. It's not to belittle those past coaches. It's to show you what getting WSU to success looks like and that is what Leach is doing. You all just didn't recognize it because all you remember is the Rose Bowls.

Last year our special teams and defense were major weaknesses...and it showed, and being smart about making critical changes Leach wasted no time on it. He didn't lie to us about it, or keep the problem areas around. He saw there was an issue and he addressed it.

Now we have an entire two deep secondary in the incoming class available plus a little experience at LB and hungry guys on the DL. I think our defense will be a lot better.

Special teams.. I have no idea. We have a scholarship kicker coming in so at least that is something, but Mele is the only real question mark for me.

Reactions: wazzubruce
Tldr but, as Leaches publicist, you're doing a bang up job.

Now, lets just hope Leach can come close to what Walden and/or Price did in their 4th season(s)as head coach at WSU... without the vast advantages Leach enjoys those other two could only dream of.

It's understandable if you want to win more games. I think everybody here wants to win every single game, but what is best for everybody, the people here, the admin, Leach, the players, and WSU in general is to be realistic in where the program was, and recognize what is changing and be supportive of that.

After 3 years with Leach our recruiting has significantly increased, we've been to a bowl game, we've broken NCAA records, beaten USC, Arizona, Cal, Oregon State, and Utah in their own house., our APR is the highest its ever been in our history. We have 16 players 300+ lbs on the roster as opposed to 2012 with just six. That's progress for us, and have a foundation to now build to that next step which is going to bowl games a lot more frequently.

Look if we hadn't had that kind of progress and went 2-11, 1-11,2-10, bottom 20% of FBS in recruiting, and terrible APR the first 3 years under Leach I would say we have a big big problem because nothing changed. But the reality is there is a lot of progress. It is changing for the better.

Is it as fast as everybody would want? No, but it's not really reasonable to think that it would be considering how far in a hole we were. If we were Ohio State loaded to the teeth with 4/5 star kids then yeah of course the expectation would be to win quickly, but we aren't that kind of program. That's why I bring up the history stuff to show you and everyone else how it was done when we came back to relevancy. It's not to belittle those past coaches. It's to show you what getting WSU to success looks like and that is what Leach is doing. You all just didn't recognize it because all you remember is the Rose Bowls.

Last year our special teams and defense were major weaknesses...and it showed, and being smart about making critical changes Leach wasted no time on it. He didn't lie to us about it, or keep the problem areas around. He saw there was an issue and he addressed it.

Now we have an entire two deep secondary in the incoming class available plus a little experience at LB and hungry guys on the DL. I think our defense will be a lot better.

Special teams.. I have no idea. We have a scholarship kicker coming in so at least that is something, but Mele is the only real question mark for me.
All good stuff. I went to WSUCougars.com and saw who the 16 players were that are 300+, with two more at 295.

If you would, who were the six players in 2012 that were 300+ plus? Thanks.

"I'm too stupid to read."

It's not a surprise that the most uneducated, and unintelligent posters refuse to read.

All good stuff. I went to WSUCougars.com and saw who the 16 players were that are 300+, with two more at 295.

If you would, who were the six players in 2012 that were 300+ plus? Thanks.

I was looking at a spring roster from 2012 It was the 2011-2012 season to be clear not the 2012-2013 season

2011-2012 Official roster (Wulff last year) - 6 300+ players Joe Kaleta, BJ Guerra, Wade Jacobson, Moritz Chris, Chas Sampson, Dan Spitz.

2012-2013 (Leach 1st year) - 8 300+ Official Roster - Niu Sale, Jake Rogers, Eduardo Middleton, Moritz Chris, Sam Flor, Gunnar Eklund, Rico Forbes, Pole, Barber

2013-2014 - 300+ 14
2014-2015 - 300+ 16

So basically

year 4 Wulff 6 people over 300
year 4 Leach 16 people over 300.

It's a dramatic difference just in terms of size. If people recall against BYU in Leach's opener in 2012 A LOT of people including myself noticed just how much smaller we were in terms of size to BYU.

To give you an idea

BYU at that time in had 18, Utah when that absolutely destroyed us had 19. That's just how much smaller we were/lack of depth we had when Leach walked in, and what people don't understand also is it is easier to maintain a program that already has a roster size/depth/talent to work with than it is to build from the very bottom.

I've seen people mention Jim Mora, Rich Rod, and Graham's early success... well here's the 4 year average in recruiting ranking those 3 coaches walked into.

UCLA - 20
ASU - 36
Arizona - 43
WSU 85

Their situations were dramatically different than ours. Our goal initially was just about getting to an actual roster that fit in with the other Pac-12 teams. We weren't even close to that.

It's like going to Daytona 500 and everyone else has a fancy stock car and we give our driver a go kart, and expect him to beat them all, and then start crying wondering why we are struggling in the race.

cougatron is winning this argument with basic facts. but I'm getting a kick out of the losers weak arguments. OK, keep arguing!

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I just see "tldr" and assume someone dumb got their argument destroyed so thoroughly that their only defense is "you made too many valid points, (so I'm going to pretend) I'm too stupid to understand how wrong I was".

For some people in here, you can take out the part in parentheses.

I'm am getting quite the chuckle out of the stat collecting and graph creating on here. And you wonder why I always say this board is littered with Poindexter's who've never played a down of football?!

I think we need a Pie Chart to complete your analysis. Too funny.

I'm am getting quite the chuckle out of the stat collecting and graph creating on here. And you wonder why I always say this board is littered with Poindexter's who've never played a down of football?!

Someone's just bummed out that it was easy to visually represent just how shitty a coach Wulff was compared to about 20 "peers". "Flat Earth Society- let's ride!"

I love how you try to insult people that are smart thinking that somehow that will make you feel better about your own stupidity. You aren't insulting anyone. You are just basically admitting that they are smarter than you. Which is nothing to brag about.

Yeah... Paul Allen... you NERD! I'm sure he cries himself to sleep with all the money he's made and clutching the super bowl trophy his team won thinking about how much it hurts to be smart, and how mean those words are...

I love how you try to insult people that are smart thinking that somehow that will make you feel better about your own stupidity. You aren't insulting anyone. You are just basically admitting that they are smarter than you. Which is nothing to brag about.

Yeah... Paul Allen... you NERD! I'm sure he cries himself to sleep with all the money he's made and clutching the super bowl trophy his team won thinking about how much it hurts to be smart, and how mean those words are...
So you're comparing yourself to Paul Allen now? Thanks for the chuckle.

My point was that people ask me why I always say that you've never played a down of football...and you proved my point. People that played football don't show up on msg boards with custom graphs and pie charts(which doesn't make you smart BTW).

Its full on fantasy football syndrome around here with the token 135 lb pencil neck star geek spouting off stats and pie charts thinking he knows everything about the game of football when he never played a down...

And then proceeding to call people idiots. It's pretty comical.

Oh...and Paul Allen never played football.

Last edited:

Ya know, Screach... Exactly how I view most of the propaganda you post here.

Btw, Screach, what was your screen name at Tech?

So you're comparing yourself to Paul Allen now? Thanks for the chuckle.

My point was that people ask me why I always say that you've never played a down of football...and you proved my point. People that played football don't show up on msg boards with custom graphs and pie charts(which doesn't make you smart BTW).

Its fantasy football sysndrome around here with the token 135 lb pencil neck star geek spouting off stats and pie charts thinking he knows everything about the game of football when he never played a down.

Oh...and Paul Allen never played football.
Not everyone who played football is as dumb as you- I mean, I've heard Hugh Millen on the radio for about five minutes, and he's analyzing all the spreadsheets and "stat geek" material you say NO FOOTBALL PLAYER would use.

So, again, it's tricky. Should I believe what I know to be fact, or should I "change my expectations" because you said something I've proven false? Man, it's tough... But I'll go with the former. (Sponge: "former" means "first option")

Ya know, Screach... Exactly how I view most of the propaganda you post here.

Btw, Screach, what was your screen name at Tech?
What's sad is you've obviously done it so often that autocorrect didn't save you.

Screech. You couldn't even spell your insult right.

Not everyone who played football is as dumb as you- I mean, I've heard Hugh Millen on the radio for about five minutes, and he's analyzing all the spreadsheets and "stat geek" material you say NO FOOTBALL PLAYER would use.

So, again, it's tricky. Should I believe what I know to be fact, or should I "change my expectations" because you said something I've proven false? Man, it's tough... But I'll go with the former. (Sponge: "former" means "first option")
Well, there is a reason why some people here have earned the nickname Flat Earth Society. Every major professional team uses analytic's now. Some more than others, but every team uses statistical analysis now.

Heck, every industry uses statistical analysis in one way or another. Not sure why the FES thinks it is an insult to call someone a stat geek. The Mariners are playing the Astros right now as I type this. The Mariners are one of the least analytical teams in MLB. The Astros are one of the most analytical teams in MLB. Guess what team is better and has a brighter future with a lot of young talent?

What's sad is you've obviously done it so often that autocorrect didn't save you.

Screech. You couldn't even spell your insult right.

I love how now that there is basically irrefutable evidence completely showing how wrong they are that it now is all about me. I'm the problem! I'm propaganda! Oh no! This guy who supports his school and the current head coach is showing us evidence why he does so! What he's using charts, facts, and graphs to illustrate his point! For a university of higher education's sports program! What a nerd! He must be using his sunday as some sort of PR campaign for Leach! He's interfering with our plans to act like uneducated fans! Burn the smart one!

This board just keeps getting more and more entertaining.

Analytics are fine.

Pretending Leach has accomplished anything, yet, at Washington State is simply delusional.

...but I sure do hope Leach can pull a rabbit out of his hat and deliver close to what Walden and/or Price delivered in their 4th season(s)

I looked for fun. In his time as WSU coach, Wulff NEVER landed a recruiting class that would have put him in the top third... of the Mountain West Conference.

Or the Western Athletic Conference before they crumbled.

More than half the teams in weaker conferences outrecruited Wulff at least two of his four years, including the CSU team we lost the bowl game to. That's pitiful for any power conference team in a given year, but the repetition is "worst coach ever" territory.
Yes, but he has that magic eye for talent that put dozens of under-recruited players in the NFL.

Analytics are fine.

Pretending Leach has accomplished anything, yet, at Washington State is simply delusional.

...but I sure do hope Leach can pull a rabbit out of his hat and deliver close to what Walden and/or Price delivered in their 4th season(s)

3 players Drafted, (first time we have had two taken since 2007, 1 Post Season Appearance (for a school that hadn't been in a decade and only has 10 total), Beating other Pac 12 schools in recruiting, the largest come back in Apple Cup History, Beating USC @ Home in 13 years, and the highest APR in our history. That is something.

You are no Hugh Millen. And just because you can cut and paste stats doesn't make you as smart as you think.

I love how now that there is basically irrefutable evidence completely showing how wrong they are that it now is all about me. I'm the problem! I'm propaganda! Oh no! This guy who supports his school and the current head coach is showing us evidence why he does so! What he's using charts, facts, and graphs to illustrate his point! For a university of higher education's sports program! What a nerd! He must be using his sunday as some sort of PR campaign for Leach! He's interfering with our plans to act like uneducated fans! Burn the smart one!

This board just keeps getting more and more entertaining.
Stats and graphs and the forthcoming pie chart doesn't make you smart. That's the part you and Wulffy don't get.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT