ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive numbers...

Again, we are talking about talent. You said the cupboard was bare on the oline and the NFL apparently disagrees with you.
No, they don't, or the guys would be playing- not figuring out their AFL/post-football careers.

Anyways, I'm out on this. Just another textbook example of the lengths you'll go to diminishing the current coach, while you're writing storybooks for the one who went 6-40.
Diminish what? The first season didn't go as planned? So what. Here is the true answer. Transitions are always tough. Learning a system takes time to adjust. What that team needed more than anything was a little confidence, they needed a win. Mike Leach wanted to set the foundation and just maybe it was a bit different than what he had to deal with before.

There is nothing to diminish. You simply have hard facts in front of you. If you asked me in 2012 the weakest unit n the team, I would have agreed with you. But after the facts come out, I can honestly say it is not as bad as I would have thought.

Diminish what? The first season didn't go as planned? So what. Here is the true answer. Transitions are always tough. Learning a system takes time to adjust. What that team needed more than anything was a little confidence, they needed a win. Mike Leach wanted to set the foundation and just maybe it was a bit different than what he had to deal with before.

There is nothing to diminish. You simply have hard facts in front of you. If you asked me in 2012 the weakest unit n the team, I would have agreed with you. But after the facts come out, I can honestly say it is not as bad as I would have thought.
What facts? You're going to ignore what you saw, and thought to be true, what the coach acknowledged... because a few guys got onto PRACTICE SQUADS? Never actually a game- we talkin' about PRACTICE.

I'm going to believe what actually happened, not some mythmaking based on guys who got released from Arena Football.

Diminish what?
For the sake of this discussion, it's that YOU were right about the OL, not Coach Leach- just look at both the practice squad guys! Oh, better go quick- one of them just got traded to Saskatchewan.

Saying that some good Cougar players also didn't have NFL careers doesn't make lousy players their equal, no matter how much you wish it.

Wasn't Withrow a 10 year NFL pro? Who played actual games? Why are you comparing him to a guy who played two games, then bombed out of the AFL?
Well you discussing in a circle. Lousy players have to have some redeeming value to either get drafted or get into a camp. Withrow made it into a camp. He played. You call Wulffs players lousy even though right in your face is evidence to the contrary. And if they were lousy again the argument could be made they didn't have the coaching. See, now that everything has played out, I can take an honest look and say they weren't lousy. They didn't have injuries. Maybe the adjustment was too much to take place in one year.

And in hindsight in two different seasons two games really defined the season the remainder of the season. The CU game and the Rutgers game. If they won those games were are probably talking at least two winning seasons.

And Mike Leach in my estimation made probably three errors. He comes from the school where players are mentally tough, and they should simply overcome adversity. What the 2012 team needed more than to be rolled in 2012 was a win against CU. Is it worth getting in a tizzy about, nope. Does it make him a crappy coach or one that should be on the hot seat. Nope. The second mistake was not having experience in the slot, and playing Lintz and Galvin. They were running to spots instead of open areas. Again, this mistake clearly viewed in hindsight isn't that biig of a deal, but it did in my opinion affect the offense in a big way. But how would he know until they played the games.

The last mistake was a mistake that happens to every coach. He needed corners in 2012, thought he had them, and they bailed. But not getting those corners and getting them experienced for 2014 hurt a lot in 2014. Crap happens in recruiting.

None of this "diminishes" what Leach has done, or not done. But to continue to bag on the oline as being devoid of talent in light of what we now know is strange.

No, they don't, or the guys would be playing- not figuring out their AFL/post-football careers.
So the people in Green Bay and Atlanta wanted fullingtion and Rodgers because they needed dates for the execs daughters? Not sure the NFL works that way.

Well you discussing in a circle. Lousy players have to have some redeeming value to either get drafted or get into a camp. Withrow made it into a camp. He played. You call Wulffs players lousy even though right in your face is evidence to the contrary. And if they were lousy again the argument could be made they didn't have the coaching. See, now that everything has played out, I can take an honest look and say they weren't lousy. They didn't have injuries. Maybe the adjustment was too much to take place in one year.

And in hindsight in two different seasons two games really defined the season the remainder of the season. The CU game and the Rutgers game. If they won those games were are probably talking at least two winning seasons.

And Mike Leach in my estimation made probably three errors. He comes from the school where players are mentally tough, and they should simply overcome adversity. What the 2012 team needed more than to be rolled in 2012 was a win against CU. Is it worth getting in a tizzy about, nope. Does it make him a crappy coach or one that should be on the hot seat. Nope. The second mistake was not having experience in the slot, and playing Lintz and Galvin. They were running to spots instead of open areas. Again, this mistake clearly viewed in hindsight isn't that biig of a deal, but it did in my opinion affect the offense in a big way. But how would he know until they played the games.

The last mistake was a mistake that happens to every coach. He needed corners in 2012, thought he had them, and they bailed. But not getting those corners and getting them experienced for 2014 hurt a lot in 2014. Crap happens in recruiting.

None of this "diminishes" what Leach has done, or not done. But to continue to bag on the oline as being devoid of talent in light of what we now know is strange.
Withrow made a camp, and played- IN REAL LIVE GAMES- a decade, so you should file this argument for at least eight more years. And your continued discussion of a game from three years ago, that you "won't get into a tizzy over", while not acknowledging that the players just quit, thinking they had a win- otherwise, the Baca TD is simply inexplicable- is typical.

And yes, when I argue the line was bad in 2012, I think that coaching could be an issue. Who coached those guys for the bulk of their careers? He must have been underwhelming.

So the people in Green Bay and Atlanta wanted fullingtion and Rodgers because they needed dates for the execs daughters? Not sure the NFL works that way.
This is the reasoning that got you to "Connor Halliday, NFL QB".

It's not your best.

Have either of those guys even suited up for an NFL regular season game?

And, uhh... the people in Green Bay didn't want Fullington that bad, or they wouldn't have cut him. Same with the 49ers.

Last edited:
Withrow made a camp, and played a decade, so you should file this argument for at least eight more years. And your continued discussion of a game from three years ago, that you "won't get into a tizzy over", while not acknowledging that the players just quit, thinking they had a win- otherwise, the Baca TD is simply inexplicable- is typical.

I don't think Steve Morton's resume is all that bad, do you? HE should seemed like he got people in the NFL, drafted, and they had tons of success. But maybe you now have a different criteria. The players didn't quit in the CU game. The game was won. The problem is that they didn't know how to win. If you are coaching a team that doesn't know how to win, why make it more challenging? Why throw gasoline on the fire? It was a tactical mistake for THAT team. Again, in three years, three mistakes, two only looked upon in hindsight, I don't think that is too bad.

This is the reasoning that got you to "Connor Halliday, NFL QB".

It's not your best.

Have either of those guys even suited up for an NFL regular season game?
Jake Rodgers an olineman could not have suited up yet. He just got drafted. Tuel played in the preseason. Halliday quit for whatever the reason. Fullingtion hasn't played in a regular season game. But neither has a host of Cougar lineman. But your point is noted. NFL execs feel sorry for WSU guys and put them on their roster, but they didn't with other WSU olineman. Got it.

Would you take a bet that Fullington gets cut more times than he appears in NFL games? I would, but it's easy to pick the side that's up 2-0.

Jake Rodgers an olineman could not have suited up yet. He just got drafted. Tuel played in the preseason. Halliday quit for whatever the reason. Fullingtion hasn't played in a regular season game. But neither has a host of Cougar lineman. But your point is noted. NFL execs feel sorry for WSU guys and put them on their roster, but they didn't with other WSU olineman. Got it.
Actually, Jeff Tuel got to START AN NFL GAME. A real, honest to goodness, NFL game.

It got him cut, and ensured that Buffalo area hobos got a paycheck by being the new backup QB so they'd NEVER EVER have to do the Tuel thing again. It'll wind up on one of those "worst starting QB ever" articles in a few years, though.

Actually, Jeff Tuel got to START AN NFL GAME. A real, honest to goodness, NFL game.

It got him cut, and ensured that Buffalo area hobos got a paycheck by being the new backup QB so they'd NEVER EVER have to do the Tuel thing again. It'll wind up on one of those "worst starting QB ever" articles in a few years, though.
Where is he now?

Would you take a bet that Fullington gets cut more times than he appears in NFL games? I would, but it's easy to pick the side that's up 2-0.
Ah...same old argument...so what you are telling me talent wise Fullington is worse than say Hannam because one guy got paid 200k plus a year to be on a 53 man roster and the other never got invited to a camp. Is that the logic? In your world that makes sense I guess.

Ah...same old argument...so what you are telling me talent wise Fullington is worse than say Hannam because one guy got paid 200k plus a year to be on a 53 man roster and the other never got invited to a camp. Is that the logic? In your world that makes sense I guess.
The practice squad isn't part of the 53 man roster.

Is this news to you?

Where is Cole Morgan right now? How about Kevin Lopina, or Steve Birnbaum or Austin Apodoca.
Cole Morgan and Kevin Lopina are high school coaches, and Apodaca is at New Mexico, right? But at least you're starting to recognize the class of QB Tuel belongs to.

Helpful hints: if you plan to do a "where are they now?", it's more interesting if the answer is something other than "oh, he's right there."

First, I was surprised because it seemed like we had scored more than that. That's the beauty of statistics. It takes away my personal bias. You should try it some time.

If you even remotely think that the team CML had taken over at WSU is remotely close to the caliber of team he took over at TT, you are delusional. Those numbers will never jive. We can find statistic after statistic to compare but since we are talking about PPG, here ya go.

the average PPG the TT program had prior to CML:

-24.6 average PPG over 4 years.
-18.5 average over 4 years at WSU prior to CML.

-Average national ranking of 62 over 4 years at TT.
-WSU over the 4 years prior to CML? 112th.

Lets compare Oranges to Oranges, Ed. Not some esoteric, "aura of CML is a god and we are now relevant in the PAC, first year with CML" kinda thing, or expectations based on "feelings" instead of hard facts. If you want to compare CML's tenure to WSU's, please give hard facts to make the analogy more accurate. Your "feelings" about your expectations are irrelevant without facts to back them up. If you are just saying, "I'm disappointed", OK.

But the above numbers should quench your disappointment a bit because CML is doing a decent job of digging us out. If you need more numbers to compare, to see how much CML has brought our program, to assuage your pain, let me and others know. We can all come up with more numbers to show how far our program has come since the depths of the "dark years". We can all help you, Ed.
What kind of numbers are you talking about? 3-9?

Cole Morgan and Kevin Lopina are high school coaches, and Apodaca is at New Mexico, right? But at least you're starting to recognize the class of QB Tuel belongs to.

Helpful hints: if you plan to do a "where are they now?", it's more interesting if the answer is something other than "oh, he's right there."
But they aren't making money in the NFL? Interesting. Keep trying Wulffui

Walden was totally piece of crap coach. - 9 years he coached at WSU and 6 of them only had 3-4 wins. He was basically 3 times worse than what Leach has done for the people that complain about Leach. They should be looking to put Walden's head on a pike.

Wulff was one of THE worst coaches in the history of FBS. He's coaching the Team USA now as an assistant. Let that sink in to how bad he was. 4 years ago he was a BCS coach. Now he's coaching highschool kids.

Erickson was a good coach
Price was a good coach

Where they came from...who cares!...What matters is if they can coach or not. Leach is digging us out of the hole that Wulff put us in. It wasn't a small hole. It was a chasm.

- When you recruit in the bottom of the FBS for 4 years against teams in the top quarter.
- You average 14-15 ppg the first 3 years
- You win 9 games over 4 years

You basically are writing a death penalty for the program. Wulff was our dealth penalty, and for a program like WSU that doesn't have the advantages that others have..someone like him RUINED what it took Price over a decade to build. Yes Doba contributed to the decline, but it was still salvageable when Wulff came in, and essentially it went in the gutter.

And people like you that still cling to his defense are the problem. He should have been canned after year 2 when things got worse instead of better than the horrific 2008 season. We were worse than bad under Wulff.

ASU / Arizona / UCLA weren't in the bottom recruiting of the conference / nation the past 4 years prior. None of them walked into as situation where their program averaged 12 points a game two years in a row. GET IT IN YOUR HEAD. WULFF WAS A BAD COACH, AND HE SUNK THE PROGRAM LIKE A STONE.

Leach is getting us out of this mess.

- Our recruiting is significantly better to where we are competing in conference for players
- We've gone to a bowl game
- Our offensive line looks like an actual offensive line
- We are breaking NCAA records in offense

We have two bad areas. Special Teams / Defense. Like a good coach Leach is making changes to fix the issues.

Ask yourself if WSU had the talent ASU/UCLA/Arizona had when Leach walked in the door do you think our offense would have been better? With an actual offensive line? With a team that wasn't 4 diamonds and an 81 FCS teamers?
I quit reading after the part where you said Leach has done 3 times was Walden has done as it proves you don't know what you are talking about as usual.

Walden had 1 more victory than Leach has had after 3 yrs...with 3 less total games..and won 8 games in year 4.

For the stats geeks posting in this thread, those are some numbers to chew on for a while.

Ed, yes. Look at it this way. WSU center, Zach Williams, was drafted in the 7th round of the NFL draft. What other WSU center has been drafted? There may have been one, but I cannot think of another one. Yet, Williams was likely the worst center that WSU has had in decades.

Fullington started his career at Left Tackle, which is the most important position on the line. Then, each year he kept on moving to a less important position, left guard, and then right guard. He did finish up at right tackle because of an injury.

Ed, yes. Look at it this way. WSU center, Zach Williams, was drafted in the 7th round of the NFL draft. What other WSU center has been drafted? There may have been one, but I cannot think of another one. Yet, Williams was likely the worst center that WSU has had in decades.

Fullington started his career at Left Tackle, which is the most important position on the line. Then, each year he kept on moving to a less important position, left guard, and then right guard. He did finish up at right tackle because of an injury.
Why was he the "worse" center in history? And Fullington was never suppose to be the left tackle. You know that and I know that. Did he not start at lg and moved to tackle when Gonzales broke his arm? I think some would argue shows his versatility.

And if Williams was drafted and was the worse center ever, tell me why they drafted him. So I get this straight, Hannam > than Fullington because Fullington because one player moved around and the other did not? Or is there something more tangible than that?

I quit reading after the part where you said Leach has done 3 times was Walden has done as it proves you don't know what you are talking about as usual.

Walden had 1 more victory than Leach has had after 3 yrs...with 3 less total games..and won 8 games in year 4.

For the stats geeks posting in this thread, those are some numbers to chew on for a while.
It's as though it's easier to take over a 6-5 team with a senior QB about to go in the top three of the NFL Draft than it is to take over a team with no draftable QB's who took four combined years to get to six wins.

Color me shocked.

Why was he the "worse" center in history? And Fullington was never suppose to be the left tackle. You know that and I know that. Did he not start at lg and moved to tackle when Gonzales broke his arm? I think some would argue shows his versatility.

And if Williams was drafted and was the worse center ever, tell me why they drafted him. So I get this straight, Hannam > than Fullington because Fullington because one player moved around and the other did not? Or is there something more tangible than that?
Why are you even bringing Hannam or Withrow into the "Fullington keeps getting cut" discussion?

Why are you even bringing Hannam or Withrow into the "Fullington keeps getting cut" discussion?

It's OK Wulffuii...I see your point. Players who are not All conference, but a active part of the team show more talent and skill than the players who are UDFA's but make a practice squad or get drafted.
Because we worked out of shotgun, and half the snaps rolled back to the QB, draft status be damned.
Oh, but you don't know if he called the correct blocking scheme, or the fact he moved the nose guard off the ball if there was a nose, or he got to the linebacker in when they played a 4-3 defense. Got it.

It's as though it's easier to take over a 6-5 team with a senior QB about to go in the top three of the NFL Draft than it is to take over a team with no draftable QB's who took four combined years to get to six wins.

Color me shocked.
Then maybe Leach should have recruited another qb. Isn't that your stand by line when you kept jumping up and down about how Wulff ruined Gibson?

Oh, but you don't know if he called the correct blocking scheme, or the fact he moved the nose guard off the ball if there was a nose, or he got to the linebacker in when they played a 4-3 defense. Got it.
NONE OF THOSE MATTER WHEN HE ROLLS THE SNAP.

Anyways, I'm out on this. Just another textbook example of the lengths you'll go to diminishing the current coach, while you're writing storybooks for the one who went 6-40.
Then maybe Leach should have recruited another qb. Isn't that your stand by line when you kept jumping up and down about how Wulff ruined Gibson?
He was talking about Thompson and 1978.

NONE OF THOSE MATTER WHEN HE ROLLS THE SNAP.
You do crack me up. You really do. An hour and a half ago you gave me the animal house "I am not going to let you bad mouth the United Sates of America speech and you said you weren't going to participate because of the diminishing of Mike Leach, and here it is almost two hours later you are continuing to make the case players who hopefully graduated with their degree but never got invited to a camp are more talented than people who actually have been. Now that is comical. And thanks, I needed the humor today.

You do crack me up. You really do. An hour and a half ago you gave me the animal house "I am not going to let you bad mouth the United Sates of America speech and you said you weren't going to participate because of the diminishing of Mike Leach, and here it is almost two hours later you are continuing to make the case players who hopefully graduated with their degree but never got invited to a camp are more talented than people who actually have been. Now that is comical. And thanks, I needed the humor today.
Your ignorance is truly breathtaking. We need more awesome centers who can't complete the most basic function of being a center- getting the ball to his QB.

You should tell Coach Kent to only recruit guys who can't make a basic pass, or Coach Lees to bring in only pitchers who get the ball halfway to the plate.

Because he was a very good athlete for someone that is around 300lbs. In the 7th round you are not taking a player that has everything a top round pick has. 7th round picks have holes. Williams was not a good lineman, but he was a good athlete. So, Carolina took a chance that he might develop in a few years. He didn't.

Too bad Williams seldom did much of that. As athletic as Williams was, if was as good as you think he was, he would still in the NFL playing.

Instead, he was just a very good athlete that got a shot. Outstanding for him. But, unfortunately he didn't help WSU win games.

Reactions: wulffui
Too bad Williams seldom did much of that. As athletic as Williams was, if was as good as you think he was, he would still in the NFL playing.

Instead, he was just a very good athlete that got a shot. Outstanding for him. But, unfortunately he didn't help WSU win games.
Yep...nor did a host of "other "offensive lineman. But I get it. What you are saying is they had the talent, they just didn't get the coaching. But here is a question, as a seventh rounder with holes, what holes did other lineman dating back to say 1990 that didn't get drafted in the seventh round, didn't get invited to camp, and didn't make a practice squad have?

Ummm... "As athletic as Williams was, if was as good as you think he was, he would still in the NFL playing." I said he was talented enough to get drafted. He is talented enough and did enough things in the games and the combines to get drafted.

Your ignorance is truly breathtaking. We need more awesome centers who can't complete the most basic function of being a center- getting the ball to his QB.

You should tell Coach Kent to only recruit guys who can't make a basic pass, or Coach Lees to bring in only pitchers who get the ball halfway to the plate.
Or Dick Bennett to recruit a kid who really couldn't shoot. Yet the player I am thinking about was really effective. And I would challenge you to go back through every game and tell me how many turnovers were created , and how many low snaps versus dribblers were really there. Good work though, for a guy who said he was leaving two hours ago, welcome back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT