ADVERTISEMENT

31-1

What about Leach not running the ball with 3.00 minutes left. Setting up the Bruin pick? If we would have lost, this board would have blown a gasket, and Leach would not hear the end. His clock management continues, right?

What about Leach not running the ball with 3.00 minutes left. Setting up the Bruin pick? If we would have lost, this board would have blown a gasket, and Leach would not hear the end. His clock management continues, right?

This is what you are thinking about right now o_O?

The truth be told, it was a terrible decision to throw that ball down the field. It's the kind of play that drove Texas Tech fans crazy. Winning the game when all looked lost is what makes you love Mike Leach. It's the nature of the beast and you have to live with it. Sitting at 7-3, it's easy to be forgiving about those calls and if we do that most years, I think we can all live with the lunacy.

Fishing already?

The truth be told, it was a terrible decision to throw that ball down the field. It's the kind of play that drove Texas Tech fans crazy. Winning the game when all looked lost is what makes you love Mike Leach. It's the nature of the beast and you have to live with it. Sitting at 7-3, it's easy to be forgiving about those calls and if we do that most years, I think we can all live with the lunacy.

I have to believe that Falk wanted to throw that pick so he'd have another chance for a heroic hard-stopping finish. One can't make it too easy in a win, right? :)

Leach is not going to change. He is going to run his offense. As long as you catch the ball, the clock keeps ticking.

with 7:10 left and a 5 point lead, what we needed more than anything was a time-consuming scoring drive. (as it turns out a scoring drive was not necessary because of falk's, marks's, and the rest of the o's big, brass balls, but there isn't a single coug fan anywhere who didn't assume we were completely f**ked when we didn't get a score on that drive.) so, to the original point, what was most necessary was a scoring drive (and hopefully one that chewed up some clock). we needed a score badly there (and preferably a touchdown to make it a two-score game for ucla), and how the game ended doesn't change that.

do you really think that the best way to get what we needed there was to all of a sudden start doing things differently?

i understand that your post is only referring to the end of the drive and not the whole thing, but i just want to point out that only running the ball once resulted in 8 plays for 52 yards and 4 minutes (over half of the remaining time) of clock used. falk made a bad decision and a bad throw (bound to happen occasionally). clock management is not what had us down 3 w/ just over a minute left.

Reactions: random soul
with 7:10 left and a 5 point lead, what we needed more than anything was a time-consuming scoring drive. (as it turns out a scoring drive was not necessary because of falk's, marks's, and the rest of the o's big, brass balls, but there isn't a single coug fan anywhere who didn't assume we were completely f**ked when we didn't get a score on that drive.) so, to the original point, what was most necessary was a scoring drive (and hopefully one that chewed up some clock). we needed a score badly there (and preferably a touchdown to make it a two-score game for ucla), and how the game ended doesn't change that.

do you really think that the best way to get what we needed there was to all of a sudden start doing things differently?

i understand that your post is only referring to the end of the drive and not the whole thing, but i just want to point out that only running the ball once resulted in 8 plays for 52 yards and 4 minutes (over half of the remaining time) of clock used. falk made a bad decision and a bad throw (bound to happen occasionally). clock management is not what had us down 3 w/ just over a minute left.

We did burn the clock 3 1/2 minutes by throwing, did really hope we'd sprinkle in a run or two to score there, but it all worked out...doing what the team does. Throwing (mostly).

I didn't think we were f**ked after the pick. We were up by 5 and they needed a TD. Our D was tired, but I didn't think they couldn't pull off the stop. Now, had we only been up by 1 or 2....

I didn't think we were f**ked after the pick. We were up by 5 and they needed a TD. Our D was tired, but I didn't think they couldn't pull off the stop. Now, had we only been up by 1 or 2....

you're right, i'm definitely over-dramatizing (though that's for sure how i felt at the time). however, as excited as i am about the way the d has played this year, i don't think they're exactly a trustworthy unit. can they get a stop? sure, can and did at points all game long. do we want to count on it? absolutely not. the other thing they did all game long was give up massive amounts of yards in very short stretches.

i hear what you're saying, but my point (2 points, really) is that we're much better off with the game coming down to our offense's ability to get a score than our defense's ability to get a stop at this point, and that the best way for this offense to function is to continue taking what the defense is giving you rather than shift gears and try to become a running team (i know no one's asking for this--more exaggeration on my part) when the best bet for a win is to score and put the game out of reach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT