ADVERTISEMENT

6.12.19 Announcement thread

An ad. They really blew it with this ... on its own, the ad is fine, but with the teaser image going out with the date on it, they fueled speculation that made this thing a huge letdown when it is just a cute little ad that would have been positive/fine on its own.

Reactions: Cougzz
That's the way things have been going in the Ad s chair. Much to do about nothing except spending a lot of money. Perhaps it is the start of a gigantic fund raising promotion? :)

An ad. They really blew it with this ... on its own, the ad is fine, but with the teaser image going out with the date on it, they fueled speculation that made this thing a huge letdown when it is just a cute little ad that would have been positive/fine on its own.

So I'm still confused. Is the CML talking head thing really a purchasable item? Or the whole 6-12-19 deal was a hoax? This is why I don't do twitter and all that other social jibberish.

And the buttkissing tweet about the AD getting his 3 month old NACDA plaque or whatever at a luncheon. Whatever.

Oh - and get off my lawn!

So I'm still confused. Is the CML talking head thing really a purchasable item? Or the whole 6-12-19 deal was a hoax? This is why I don't do twitter and all that other social jibberish.

And the buttkissing tweet about the AD getting his 3 month old NACDA plaque or whatever at a luncheon. Whatever.

Oh - and get off my lawn!

Not a purchasable item. Just an ad (the ad itself is reasonably funny the first time you see it if you come in with no expectations). The 6-12-19 thing wasn't a hoax, per se, just a poorly thought-through promo to build up "excitement" for what turned out to be a pretty run-of-the-mill ad.

Not a purchasable item. Just an ad (the ad itself is reasonably funny the first time you see it if you come in with no expectations). The 6-12-19 thing wasn't a hoax, per se, just a poorly thought-through promo to build up "excitement" for what turned out to be a pretty run-of-the-mill ad.
I guess they can't all be gold. I did enjoy the twitter responses.

Sometimes, things that seem funny, significant or just plain profound to the leader fall flat with the masses. It is a good learning experience for the leader. Been there, done that.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
Sometimes, things that seem funny, significant or just plain profound to the leader fall flat with the masses. It is a good learning experience for the leader. Been there, done that.

Honestly, more than 99% of Cougar fans will forget this ever happened, even those people who buy a bobble head.

In the end, this is a nothing story all the way around.

Honestly, more than 99% of Cougar fans will forget this ever happened, even those people who buy a bobble head.

In the end, this is a nothing story all the way around.

WSU Athletics social media = clickbait.com. But with nothing worth clicking for.

WSU Athletics social media = clickbait.com. But with nothing worth clicking for.

Appeals to show up to games in Pullman are wasted on some. No better way to show you support the program than opening up your wallet.
Am I the only one who liked the ad?

Appeals to show up to games in Pullman are wasted on some. No better way to show you support the program than opening up your wallet.
Am I the only one who liked the ad?

The ad itself wasn't the problem. It was the whole "something really special is coming" campaign surrounding it that got away from them.

That lead to a whole lot of people ending up feeling they had been jacked around. Many folks who are solid Coug fans were lead to believe something big, or special, was in the works. They rightfully got excited about that. Then, WSU delivered a quirky little ad.

I can't speak for all fans. But I can say, from the reactions I have seen, a large number of solid Coug fans were left feeling anywhere from underwhelmed to kinda pizzed off for being "played". And yeah, some were just amused.

I just think the athletic department misplayed this one. You don't create a "buy in" for your program by building up your fanbase and then letting them down, making them feel foolish for getting hyped up.

Folks will get over it. As long as WSU doesn't make a habit out of spoofing their fanbase in the future.

Maybe a bit weird to make it an event but I put that equally on the fans who thought it could ONLY mean something major.

Surprisingly I thought the CML script in the ad was pretty funny. Usually stuff at this level seems to be written by the type of people who think the Geico gecko is a laugh riot.

Definitely not written by the people who came up with the Potemkin-level "who's working on that?" "Washington State University. Go Cougs!" people from those old ads.

I really don't understand how anyone in Athletics or Marketing thought this was worth the hype. The social media posts made it seem like something significant, and then having the president's "it's going to be awesome" underscored it. Even if the video was announcing a real product, this was oversold. This is amusing, but doesn't really announce or sell much of anything. Severely overplayed.

I really don't understand how anyone in Athletics or Marketing thought this was worth the hype. The social media posts made it seem like something significant, and then having the president's "it's going to be awesome" underscored it. Even if the video was announcing a real product, this was oversold. This is amusing, but doesn't really announce or sell much of anything. Severely overplayed.

Someone mentioned it earlier: bored interns.

Maybe a bit weird to make it an event but I put that equally on the fans who thought it could ONLY mean something major.

Surprisingly I thought the CML script in the ad was pretty funny. Usually stuff at this level seems to be written by the type of people who think the Geico gecko is a laugh riot.

Definitely not written by the people who came up with the Potemkin-level "who's working on that?" "Washington State University. Go Cougs!" people from those old ads.

Just bust out the old Cougar Football Saturday ads. Save production costs.

Bring a friend, do a little tailgatin'.

Reading about our stupid 3-12-19 thing elsewhere (hint: X), which led me to this hilarious Twitter feed. I finally had to quit reading it, it went on and on and was 100% negative.

(I guess you have to click on the "XXX people are talking about this" to get the comments)

And who was telling me that the Captains of Industry all live and die by their Twittering? (Or something like that). I think I'll stay twitter-less.

And get off my lawn.

Last edited:
Reading about our stupid 3-12-19 thing elsewhere (hint: X), which led me to this hilarious Twitter feed. I finally had to quit reading it, it went on and on and was 100% negative.

(I guess you have to click on the "XXX people are talking about this" to get the comments)

And who was telling me that the Captains of Industry all live and die by their Twittering? (Or something like that). I think I'll stay twitter-less.

And get off my lawn.

crummy-commercial.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT